Carbs = feel better, lots Vegetables = feel worse.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Carbs = feel better, lots Vegetables = feel worse.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  raster 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

MatthewGrace
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Hello all and thank you for reading my thread, I am new, 31y/o male. My question is a rare one indeed.

I have a condition of regular maldigestion, constantly being fatigued (impossible to get out of bed), C-Ibs, and many other seemingly unrelated symptoms. After spending near $20,000 (insurance) various blood tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, Heidelberg Capsule test, and abdominal MRI, there is nothing organically wrong with me. Fecal test reveal varying degrees of bacterial dysbiosis and visible microscopic yeast when there should be none. Certain white blood cells are on the very lowest end of the normal range.

That has led me to entertain Candida. I have experimented with diets many times, and believe I feel profound “die-off” when I do. But there are some things that are totally unique to me (I think):

1) After a few days of torture eating only meats and veg, every time I cave in and say… “NO MORE… SPAGHETTI TIME!” I feel astonishingly better… like someone resurrected me from the dead. Literally I’ve had been considering going to the ER I feel so crappy, and then after some pasta, or pizza, or Chees-its, it’s like I’m cured within a couple hours. Of course, this technique only works that one time, then my CFS and other symptoms return. QUESTION: Don’t most Candida sufferers get WORSE if they carb splurged in the midst of die off from their strict diet? Does the fact that I feel better indicate that I do not have candida, but something else?

2) Of all things bothersome about candida diets: vegetables. I could eat them all day because I enjoy the flavor, but nothing causes GI distress quite like them. I’ve tried rotating them, but I do NOT do well on high veg. I think it’s bacterial dysbiosis just ferments/composts them in my gut to a ball of nasty stuff that makes me sick. I’m inclined to think that candida may not be my primary problem, but bacteria. QUESTION: Doesn’t any fellow sufferer have trouble with high veg diets? I end up eating 3lbs of vegetables sometimes more on candida diets, and it’s just too much. My body wants calories from protein, carbs, and fat, rather than vegetables which usually supply almost nothing for calories unless they’re sugar/starch dense. Candida diets, including recipes I see provided by the author of this particular site, are nowhere near calorie rich enough for me. My natural hunger will drive me to eat 2-3lbs greasy meat a day plus a similar amount of vegetables to supply me with near 2,400 cals (male, 165lbs). What to do?

That’s more than enough content for now. Thank you for any response.
    Matt

yuluyele
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

Please consider the possibility that your kidneys may be being taxed from eating so much meat, and that THAT is what is causing the profound fatigue. That is what happened to me a few years ago. My candida was getting out of control even on just a meat/eggs/nuts/seeds and (non-startch)veggies diet, so I said, okay, “I have to cut out even the nuts/seeds.” Well, not only did that not help the candida at all (and actually made it worse somehow), but it ended me up like you, hardly having the energy to stand up. After suffering like this for maybe 6 months, I decided to try eliminating meat and going only nuts/seeds and veggies, and almost immediately my energy levels shot up and my candida got way better too (though it has since come back pretty hard recently). Also, I started having what I believe were kidney detox symptoms (e.g. quivering in that area) after I cut out the meat, so that led me to thinking that kidney overwhelm had been the cause of my fatigue.

MatthewGrace

Thank you for your consideration by responding to my post.

Good idea, because I think meat may cause problems for me particularly constipation.

My kidneys’ are likely fine, I needed to have labwork done for them to clear me for using contrast during my MRI.

My score for kidney function was 95%, they said I was cruising in that department. I think of all the horror my poor body has been through and when they told me that I was pretty amazed.

Matt

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

One thing could explain it in that when you feed the yeast, you feel good because the yeast is happy. When you kill the yeast, you don’t feel good as an alternative. The yeast and our bodies have a strong relationship.

As far as not digesting veggies…it could be that you aren’t chewing your food enough which in turn could be messing up everything else that is going on. Remember, digestion begins at the mouth and so you have to do your part to improve it. This is by chewing every bite 30+ times…you could be chewing it just a little bit and scarfing down the food real fast (I do this if I am more hungry).

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1222_Chew-your-food-longer–Simple-tip-to-improve-your-health.aspx

If you aren’t digesting most meats very well, you could be deficient in stomaach acid:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6027_Hydro-chloric-Acid-and-Health–written-by-Dr–McCoombs.aspx

Also not everything comes up in tests. You could test negative for yeast but still have a yeast problem. Your liver enzyme test and blood tests could all come back negative but really be positive.

Also check out candia5 test for diagnosis, its pretty cheap.

-raster

raster
    Participant

Also grains pack a ton more energy in general, and energy=feeling good. Wheat and corn pack a ton of energy compared to the gluten free grains.

-raster

MatthewGrace

Thank you for your thoughts, Raster:

While interesting, I think it’s unlikely, because after say 2 weeks of suffering on a candida diet of no starch/sugar, I reintroduce carbs at say, 100grams and feel wwwaaaaay better in a matter of hours. I can expect the next day and the day after to feel pretty much how I did before going on the diet.

In other words, a single refeed of a moderate quantity of carbs would thus provide the candida infection the ability to completely come back. This may be why despite so many stints into low carb and antifungals over the past year and a half… I’m no better off.

I hate to say it but I think the reason I feel worse is simply because meat/veg make me worse… and perhaps they’ll make others worse too:

– perhaps by causing ketosis (which makes candida worse, confirmed by Ketostix I regularly use)
    – perhaps by causing digestive difficulty (even healthy people if asked, will tell you they cannot stomach too much meat, or too much vegetables without gas and discomfort, etc.)
    – perhaps by lowering the effectiveness of the thyroid, immune system, or adrenals in the absence of glucose, which in turn can worsen the infection.

I will retry, following a diet described on http://www.perfecthealthdiet.com, which is still relatively low carb but may address other challenges that starch/sugar free candida diets do not. Of course, I will proceed with antifungals, both prescription and natural.

Thank you,
    Matt

lead
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 30

One day a few days ago I decided to eat a wide variety of different products from what I eat every day (which is limited to only buckwheat, meat, a few veggies).

They weren’t very good for the diet. But I suddenly felt my muscles very strong and I didn’t look pale anymore. And these can’t be placebo effects since it was way too obvious to ignore.

However, I did get brain fog, extreme bloating, gas and anxiety, as one would expect after cheating on the diet. Haven’t read these posts you’ve written but consider thinking about malnutrition that could be greatly related.

raster
    Participant

lead;60232 wrote: One day a few days ago I decided to eat a wide variety of different products from what I eat every day (which is limited to only buckwheat, meat, a few veggies).

They weren’t very good for the diet. But I suddenly felt huge energy and strength back and I didn’t look pale anymore. And these can’t be placebo effects since it was way too obvious to ignore.

However, I did get brain fog, extreme bloating and anxiety, as one would expect after cheating on the diet. Haven’t read these posts you’ve written but consider thinking about malnutrition that could be greatly related.

Ya I agree. Its important to get a balanced diet that does include some carbs…cheating on the diet is important to help develop the gut flora that can digest it. Optimal nutrition on the diet is difficult for many. I recently started to get some blood sugar symptoms and its because I am not eating enough food, my body suddenly needed more and I haven’t been providing it.

-raster

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Carbs = feel better, lots Vegetables = feel worse.’ is closed to new replies.