Can't seem to handle any carbohydrates

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Can't seem to handle any carbohydrates

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ctbrah 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #102399

    ctbrah
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

    After many contributing factors, namely continued anti biotic use for 2-3 years for acne, recreational drug abuse, excessive exercise and weighlifting and a high carb diet of about 4-500g’s a a day, something finally gave and in the space of 2-3 months my life completely changed.

    Insomnia
    Extreme brain fog
    General anxiety
    Coated tongue
    Seborrheic dermatitis
    Hair loss and lightning of hair
    Multiple tendon tears & inflammation
    Popping/clicking joints
    Muscle aches
    Dry flakey skin

    These are some of the symptoms I had and after some research I started on a ketogenic diet and completely cut carbs which over the last year has slowly eliminated many of these problems but what I’m left with is now

    Permanent joint damage – they still pop and click as much as ever and I’ve lost a lot of range of motion on shoulders specifically.
    Coated tongue
    Seb derm comes and goes – I wash hair everyday with antifungal shampoos as it’s very oily.
    Hair loss has slowed but still noticeable
    The worst symptom of all, extreme fatigue

    I have tried to introduce carbohydrates but within a few hours the brain fog sets in. 100g carbs from red lentils = brain fog, 100g from quinoa = brain fog, 100g from strawberries = brain fog.

    I figured maybe the problem was related to blood sugar but then one day I decided I would drink 200g carbs worth of milk and to my surprise it caused no brain fog at all so I don’t think that’s my problem.

    I continued drinking a lot over milk for the next few days and still no brain fog, even better my fatigue vanished and for the first time in over 6 months my sex drive made an appearance. I felt great to say the least, but unfortunately it was short lived as my seb derm went into over drive and is also causing hair loss. I can only put this down to the sugars feeding the yeast, it seems like my body is a complete breeding ground for them, my hair, skin, tongue, gut! It has however showed me that my fatigue and lack of libido is due to my extreme 0 carb approach.

    I can eat unlimited amounts of fat & protein it seems. I eat a lot of red meat, poultry, fish, eggs, olive oil and I can seemingly eat a lot of nuts without problem too, but no direct carbohydrate sources.

    I am desperate to re-introduce some carbs into my diet to reap their benefits, I think 100g would suffice. Does anyone have any ideas?

    Sorry for the long read.

    #102400

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    I wouldn’t worry about carbs and this might help your problems; you shouldn’t worry about carbs on this diet. I would try to get in some breads such as buckwheat, coconut bread, teff, etc. You should be worried about things that are worse than carbs such as sugar, molds, starches, dairy, freshness of food, organic vs. non-organic, etc.

    I am unsure whether the foods you used are good examples. Strawberries contain sugar and are high in molds and thus can be very problematic for the diet. Beans are high in starch and aren’t recommended until later stages of the diet. Quinoa is not recommended on the diet whatsoever because its high in starch, is hard to digest, high in glycemic index, etc.

    What other foods are problematic?

    Some foods feed candida and thus the brain fog (such as the ones you listed).

    As far as the other symptoms are concerned it sounds like you have mineral deficiencies. Are you taking anything to supplement your mineral problems? Additionally, the other symptoms are related to the toxins candida produces. What are you taking to detox from the candida toxins and to protect your liver and kidneys? If you don’t support your liver you will have brain fog because the toxins aren’t going anywhere.

    -raster

    #102402

    ctbrah
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

    raster;40903 wrote: I wouldn’t worry about carbs and this might help your problems; you shouldn’t worry about carbs on this diet. I would try to get in some breads such as buckwheat, coconut bread, teff, etc. You should be worried about things that are worse than carbs such as sugar, molds, starches, dairy, freshness of food, organic vs. non-organic, etc.

    I am unsure whether the foods you used are good examples. Strawberries contain sugar and are high in molds and thus can be very problematic for the diet. Beans are high in starch and aren’t recommended until later stages of the diet. Quinoa is not recommended on the diet whatsoever because its high in starch, is hard to digest, high in glycemic index, etc.

    What other foods are problematic?

    Some foods feed candida and thus the brain fog (such as the ones you listed).

    As far as the other symptoms are concerned it sounds like you have mineral deficiencies. Are you taking anything to supplement your mineral problems? Additionally, the other symptoms are related to the toxins candida produces. What are you taking to detox from the candida toxins and to protect your liver and kidneys? If you don’t support your liver you will have brain fog because the toxins aren’t going anywhere.

    -raster

    Thanks for the response.

    The reason I worry about not eating carbs is that right now I’m only getting about 20g a day from trace carbs and the lack of them is definitely contributing to my fatigue, energy and libido problems. This was clear once I spent a week drinking a lot of milk and those problems vanished.

    As far as problematic foods go it seems that it’s just carbs, plain and simple. All carbs I try to eat give me brain fog. Just today I tried to eat a small amount of buckwheat, about 50g of carbs worth and already I’m feeling slightly foggy.

    I definitely have a candida problem but if I’m unable to eat any of these foods, any carbs, does that mean perhaps I have another issue also?

    Supplement wise I am just taking pro-biotics right now, 50 billion a day. I tried many supplements, from rotated anti fungals, zinc, calcium, magnesium, sea salt, biotin, b-complex and I can’t say I noticed any difference so I’ve discontinued my use.

    The only thing that has helped has been eliminating carbs completely, but I can’t live a productive life without the energy carbs provide me with. I need to find a source for that macro nutrient that will not cause me any problems, I couldn’t care less about what my food taste like, I’m long past eating for enjoyment, I haven’t cheated in over 6 months, food is just a necessity now.

    #102404

    hdispain
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 16

    You may feel better when you drink milk because of the vitamin D. I was having some issues after about a month on the diet and found out that the diet seriously lacks vitamin D. I got a liquid multivitamin (sugar free) that included 100% daily dose of vitamin D and everything went back to normal.

    #102417

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    Explain/describe the brain fog symptom you get.

    -raster

    #102421

    ctbrah
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

    hdispain;40907 wrote: You may feel better when you drink milk because of the vitamin D. I was having some issues after about a month on the diet and found out that the diet seriously lacks vitamin D. I got a liquid multivitamin (sugar free) that included 100% daily dose of vitamin D and everything went back to normal.

    The sun is also a source of vitamin D am I correct? I spent the last few months outdoors a lot in 30 degree sunshine most days and it didn’t seem to help really.

    raster;40920 wrote: Explain/describe the brain fog symptom you get.

    -raster

    It’s hard to put into words, after I eat carbohydrates I feel a sense of derealization, dysphoria, It takes longer to think about simple things, I become clumsy and it’s like my intelligence is halved, things that would usually be clear and obvious become confusing. I guess the closest thing I could compare it to would be the hangover after drinking the most alcohol you ever have. I feel detached from reality.

    #102435

    jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

    Can you do non starchy veggies without brain fog?

    Is the high protein/fat diet making you more constipated?

    #102446

    ctbrah
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

    jameskep;40938 wrote: Can you do non starchy veggies without brain fog?

    Is the high protein/fat diet making you more constipated?

    I haven’t been eating much veg at all since this all began. I eat peppers, onions, lettuce, broccoli without any problems. I never eat these in big amounts though, just compliment my main food source with side servings.

    I do often get bouts of constipation yes but sometimes I go weeks without any and I don’t change my diet during that time.

    #102452

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    What I am concerned about is that maybe you are having allergic reactions which may cause brain fog or you could have leaky gut and not know it. You might want to do some allergy testing to figure it out. You could be allergic to each item you try out.

    Generally speaking, if these are the only symptoms you get and you can tough them out, it should get better in my opinion as you reap the rewards of these new food items.

    How long does the brain fog last?

    You might want to consider some digestive aids such as bitters, enzymes, and/or HCL (hydro-chloric acid). You could have some other bugs in your stomach and if you lack stomach acid, they won’t be killed off very much. Also if you aren’t digesting your food properly, this can cause all sorts of problems and side effects.

    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6027_Hydro-chloric-Acid-and-Health–written-by-Dr–McCoombs.aspx

    -raster

    #102458

    ctbrah
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

    raster;40955 wrote: What I am concerned about is that maybe you are having allergic reactions which may cause brain fog or you could have leaky gut and not know it. You might want to do some allergy testing to figure it out. You could be allergic to each item you try out.

    Generally speaking, if these are the only symptoms you get and you can tough them out, it should get better in my opinion as you reap the rewards of these new food items.

    How long does the brain fog last?

    You might want to consider some digestive aids such as bitters, enzymes, and/or HCL (hydro-chloric acid). You could have some other bugs in your stomach and if you lack stomach acid, they won’t be killed off very much. Also if you aren’t digesting your food properly, this can cause all sorts of problems and side effects.

    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6027_Hydro-chloric-Acid-and-Health–written-by-Dr–McCoombs.aspx

    -raster

    Yes I believe I am having reactions to these foods, I also believe you could be correct about the leaky gut, but I really want to find out what it is I’m reacting too so I can avoid and hopefully eat some carbs again.

    I suppose my only options are to tough them out as you say and test foods, but I want to make educated choices on what foods to try because the seb derm is ruining my hair, brain fog is depressing and the rashes are frustrating. Where I lost hair this time last year still didn’t show any signs of new growth when I went 6 months without any seb derm, so it looks to be permanent.

    The brain fog severity will depend on how many carbs I eat, 200g net carbs from lentils as the source had me real foggy for 1-2 days and lingered for another few days, it was 4-5 days before I felt I was back to normal.

    What enzymes would you suggest? And what dose of HCL? Is it safe to supplement with HCL?

    Thank you

    #102460

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    It should be generally safe to supplement with HCL if you are deficient in it. Most candida sufferers are deficient in it. If you get any kind of acid reflux beforehand then its not recommended (this is too much acid).

    As far as enzymes I recommend pro-gest. It helps heal leaky gut as well.

    If you did an allergy test and are allergic to over 50+ things (or a very large amount) then you have leaky gut in my opinion.

    There are a variety of supplements you can take to treat leaky gut. One of them that I recommend the most is L-glutamine which does a lot of things to improve your digestion. Inulin (aka miracle fiber at vitamin shoppe) is also a great supplement to try out in the short term to heal leaky gut; it can be problematic in the long term but if used correctly, it’ll help heal it. It supposedly feeds the candida in the colon.

    Prebiotics also heal the gut and examples include buckwheat, oat bran, teff, coconut flour, artichoke, onions, garlic, and there are more! All probiotics heal the gut as well including kefir and other fermented foods.

    Also in order to heal leaky gut you need to reduce the inflammation of the gut. Specific foods can do this such as salmon, broccoli, spinach, pumpkin, etc. Fermented or regular cod liver oil also can heal leaky gut because it is highly anti-inflammatory. There are likely more anti-inflammatory supplements out there but haven’t done any research.

    There’s a great leaky gut tea I recommend called throat coat; all of these herbs support your liver and digestion.

    There’s also the pumpkin pie muffin (bread) in the recipes portion of the forum and this is a super leaky gut healing food item. Pumpkin has great detox properties and I look at it as something similar to the bentonite clay.

    I can bust out some old posts on the subject as well…I’ve covered healing leaky gut numerous times.

    Additionally, you should examine H. pylori and SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth) because both of these are similar to candida. Some people who don’t improve may have these issues as well and people with these problems typically have more allergic reactions and more toxins.

    -raster

    #102508

    ctbrah
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

    raster;40963 wrote: It should be generally safe to supplement with HCL if you are deficient in it. Most candida sufferers are deficient in it. If you get any kind of acid reflux beforehand then its not recommended (this is too much acid).

    As far as enzymes I recommend pro-gest. It helps heal leaky gut as well.

    If you did an allergy test and are allergic to over 50+ things (or a very large amount) then you have leaky gut in my opinion.

    There are a variety of supplements you can take to treat leaky gut. One of them that I recommend the most is L-glutamine which does a lot of things to improve your digestion. Inulin (aka miracle fiber at vitamin shoppe) is also a great supplement to try out in the short term to heal leaky gut; it can be problematic in the long term but if used correctly, it’ll help heal it. It supposedly feeds the candida in the colon.

    Prebiotics also heal the gut and examples include buckwheat, oat bran, teff, coconut flour, artichoke, onions, garlic, and there are more! All probiotics heal the gut as well including kefir and other fermented foods.

    Also in order to heal leaky gut you need to reduce the inflammation of the gut. Specific foods can do this such as salmon, broccoli, spinach, pumpkin, etc. Fermented or regular cod liver oil also can heal leaky gut because it is highly anti-inflammatory. There are likely more anti-inflammatory supplements out there but haven’t done any research.

    There’s a great leaky gut tea I recommend called throat coat; all of these herbs support your liver and digestion.

    There’s also the pumpkin pie muffin (bread) in the recipes portion of the forum and this is a super leaky gut healing food item. Pumpkin has great detox properties and I look at it as something similar to the bentonite clay.

    I can bust out some old posts on the subject as well…I’ve covered healing leaky gut numerous times.

    Additionally, you should examine H. pylori and SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth) because both of these are similar to candida. Some people who don’t improve may have these issues as well and people with these problems typically have more allergic reactions and more toxins.

    -raster

    Thank you Raster. I will pick up some of the supplements sometime today.

    I’m curious as to whether you have any ideas on why the lentils and grains I’ve tried eating (quinoa,buckwheat,rice) have given me brain fog, but the milk has not. Both are full of carbs, milk full of sugar, and the grains full of starch. It stands to reason that if the brain fog was from the candida, all the above should feed them and cause the brain fog, yet the milk did not, it only broke me out in rashes, seb derm and very dry skin.

    Does logic then imply that I have atleast two seperate issues at work here?

    #102648

    alexalgebra
    Member
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

    All of the legumes and grains you’re talking about give me a major leaky gut reaction; milk does not, unless I drink a LOT.

    #102650

    ctbrah
    Member
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

    alexalgebra;41151 wrote: All of the legumes and grains you’re talking about give me a major leaky gut reaction; milk does not, unless I drink a LOT.

    What type of reaction are you talking about? Do you get brain fog?

    If you can not eat these foods, what do you use as a source of carbs If any?

    Thank you

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Can't seem to handle any carbohydrates’ is closed to new replies.