Can't say no to sugar

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Can't say no to sugar

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  nevra 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

stephglenn
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

Day after day after day I try to stay on the candida diet. I am good for about half of the day and then I give in to sugar. Sugar is my drug. I feel like I will never be able to give it up. (I’ve been trying for years.) I have the answer right in front of me on how to get well. I just don’t have the power to accomplish it. My husband even drove me 10 hours from PA to Michigan to see a doctor who prescribed Nystatin and put me on a candida diet. I thought for sure that if my husband went to all that trouble, I would get serious and have the strength to say no to all the bad food. Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a place to go for 6 weeks for a detox to get a jump start on the diet?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

stephglenn wrote: Day after day after day I try to stay on the candida diet. I am good for about half of the day and then I give in to sugar … Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a place to go for 6 weeks for a detox to get a jump start on the diet?

No matter where you go, the decision would still be yours.
    The perfect place for detoxing is your own home; where you’re comfortable and no one can bother you with temptations unless you allow it. Eating or not eating what you know to be bad for your health is all about one very simple decision. And knowing that the only thing that’s keeping you from healing yourself really is trading what your greatest desire is for what you desire at the moment. Which do you really want the most, your health,or another piece of cake? A simple decision.

Able

Himawari
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

Before starting the diet I was really worried about the no sugar aspect too. I’ve gone days without processed sugar before, and that was hard enough, but no sugars of any kind?

I’ll admit, the first week was tough. The cravings were really bad, and I pass three very fragrant bakeries, and an entire street catering to tourists (=ice cream and local desserts everywhere!) on my daily commute. It seemed like whenever I’d try to distract myself by watching TV, that episode would end up centering around the new crepe shop in town or baking or something.

However, once I got past that first week, it got better. By the end of week two, I had almost no sugar cravings. You can get used to it. For health reasons my sister stopped eating processed sugar altogether about two years ago. I thought she was absolutely bonkers, but she assured me that the desire for sugar does go away.

On this particular diet, you have the added bonus of having so many other things to worry about that sugar becomes a secondary or even tertiary issue. For me, having to go food shopping every third day and cook 4-5 meals a day entirely from scratch (and then clean up afterwards!) has been the roughest part, because I normally ate out all the time. Rather than sugar cravings, I just get general hunger or carb cravings, but those have gotten better with time too.

Now, the question becomes, how do you survive the first week? For you, cold turkey clearly doesn’t work, so you should find a different method. The way I see it there are two good ways to do it: ease in, or go “chilled (not cold) turkey”:

Easing in: every day (or every other day) cut back just a little more on the sugar intake. Start with the worst offenders: cakes, ice cream, things that you inevitably eat a whole serving of. Keep something non-addictive hanging around that you can take a bite of here and there when a craving hits (plain milk or dark chocolate is good for this, I think). Feel free to eat as many “natural” sugars as you want: fruits, milk, etc. They’ll help with the transition. Once the processed sugars are out (and these are the toughest, IMO), you can start cutting back on the natural sugars too. Once those are out as well, cut back on the starchy foods. At this point, you’re most of the way onto the diet anyway, so starting should be comparatively much easier.

Chilled Turkey: If the above-outlined method seems like it would take too long (or “waste too much time” I’d recommend you do what I did, which is replace my sugary/starchy comfort foods with slightly more acceptable ones. Foods like beef, pork, and nuts are not great for stage one, but my impression is that they’re lesser offenders than sugars and starches. So figure out what foods you love that are acceptable or marginally acceptable, and allow yourself to pig out on those whenever a craving strikes. For me, grilled beef with black pepper served this purpose. I also got a nice supply of nuts: hazelnuts and pecans, I found, are amazingly delicious, and wonderful little snack foods. You just pop a few in your mouth, and the craving goes away (particularly good for when you get a craving for snacky-sugary foods like M&Ms or biscuits or something). Seeds like sunflower or pumpkin seeds make for great potato-chip-like snack replacements. Non-GMO soymilk can be a good soda/etc. replacement as long as you drink it in small amounts (just a few sips at a time).
    However, like I said, you shouldn’t actually be eating beef, pork, soy, and nuts during stage one, so you will need to wean yourself off these as well. However, they got me through the first two weeks with zero slip-ups otherwise, so while you might need to be on the diet a tad longer because of it, I think it’s worth it in the long run to give yourself some kind of treat to fall back on.

Other recommendations: when a really nasty sugar craving hits, stop whatever you’re doing and go exercise (outside is best, as is moderate intensity). Doesn’t have to be for very long; if you work in an office, take a short 5-10 minute break to climb stairs; if you’re at home, go for a quick jog around the neighborhood. Do something that it would be hard to eat and do at the same time (jogging, bike-riding, stair climbing, aerobics, etc.). Or do something that you wouldn’t want to eat and do simultaneously (like cleaning the toilet, cleaning out your dusty attic, or weeding the front lawn). If this isn’t possible, get up and pour yourself a full glass of water.
    I’ve also found that hunger and cravings disappear entirely when I’m fully engrossed in something. No, TV and Internet surfing don’t count (tend to make it worse). I’m talking about working on an art project, having fun with friends, running errands, etc. Find what activities get you really excited and that’s what will distract you from cravings.

*phew* that was long! Hope it helped!

Anyway, it all boils down to what works for you.

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Hi

If you believe that you are craving the sugar you are going into battle with yourself and you will suffer. You cant annihilate yourself if you believe that you are the craving. You are not, you are the one who notice a graving but you are not it. Who is craving then? The candida who is hungry, not you.

Why is it helping for Himawari to put her mind on other things? Its because the cravings are not real they are a game from the candida to fool you with an image and believe of…..I need this now….

But is it true? No, if you dont put your mind into it. A thing which is constantly changing is not you. You are not your thoughts, you are not your feelings and you are not your cravings.

There are thoughts, there are feelings, there are cravings but you are not one of them. You are the one recognising feelings, cravings or thoughts.

If you really see what I am talking about then you will notice a small place of freedom from where you are able to act. This freedom of choice you need to be able to say.

I dont want to feed the candida, I want to do this and that.

But if you continue to believe that you are the cravings, that you are your thoughts and feelings then you are not free to choose. You will have to think negative, you will have to act on you feelings or be a slave to your cravings.

Do you want that being a slave? The candida will love that, it will use you to bring to it sugar so it can grow and grow.

See it for what it is. Its an illusion that you need sugar, and you are free from it when you see it. When the cravings come and tell you that you need it. Only look at it and ask yourself is that true? And then do something else. Let the cravings be there like a lie in the room but you dont need to act on it and you will see how the ghost turns into a chair when the morning light fills your room.

yours
    thomas

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Thomas wrote: You are not your thoughts, you are not your feelings and you are not your cravings.

All in all an excellent post, Thomas. And having learned about you the way I have, I know that it all came from your heart.

A well earned ‘good job’ to our newest forum expert.

Able

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Able900 wrote:

You are not your thoughts, you are not your feelings and you are not your cravings.

All in all an excellent post, Thomas. And having learned about you the way I have, I know that it all came from your heart.

A well earned ‘good job’ to our newest forum expert.

Able

Thank you Able for you kind words. English is not my native tongue, I only can hope that people anyhow understand what I have to say. But the most important thing is that it becomes alive in us, the words will not help us in the battle. I know a hell of a lot in matters of the mind and still I can fall into the traps of illusion believing a lie and suffer. Suffering is around the corner, you only have to believe a lie, resist what is, or try to make things happen instead of trusting, trusting that your body knows what to do, that your entire being is on your side, that God/Life/Truth/Love is with you. If that drops in the heart it has power. But I learn so much through this sickness too, that the menu is not the food eaten and that a travelling map is not the journey experienced. I never thought I was afraid to die or not trusting what is. Boy was I surprised when reality shook my little house of life.
    We all are students of Life and experts of suffering. The question is only if we truly learn and move beyond.

I was very happy about your word, because I take so much home from you, raster and the forum here. If I can then say sometimes something which helps another sufferer here, I am very pleased that Life is using me too.

yours
    Thomas

nevra
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

I am pregnant, so my sugar cravings are INTENSE right now! But miraculously, I managed to stop my sugar cravings 2 weeks ago when I attended the Wise Traditions conference in Dallas. They served some of the most delicious, satisfying and nourishing foods I’ve ever had outside of my home. I just blogged about it here: churnyourown.com. Maybe everyone’s body is different, but for me, veggies and whole grains don’t do the trick. What I’m trying to figure out is which food or behavior, exactly, made the cravings go away. Was it the fats? The coconut? The fermented foods? The probiotics? The fact that I didn’t ever let myself get hungry between meals?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Can't say no to sugar’ is closed to new replies.