Candida Tests?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Candida Tests?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lauren 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Lorelei
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 28

Does anyone know of a reliable test for Candida? My doctors obviously don’t believe in it and had me tested for just about everything (thyroid, B12, celiac,…) but everything came back negative. My doctor says I’m very healthy (sugar levels, cholesterol all really low) and doesn’t want me back for testing for another 5 years if I keep eating right and exercising.

I have heard of stool testing and blood tests, but I am not sure where to go.

I have been the strict diet before for 6 weeks with the antifungals and probiotics, but it seemed to not make a difference in my symptoms.
    I am back on the strict diet for a week now(The protocol here) and I don’t even think I am experiencing die-off. I’m not sure what to look for but the symptoms I have are just the same old – rash, vaginal itching, tiredness,…

I am just thinking a test may confirm I am on the right track with fighting candida.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

There are expensive tests you can take to help get a positive diagnosis of candida overgrowth but insurance likely will not cover the tests. Dr. Mcoomb’s recommends some in his youtube video, if you want to get as close to a real test there is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri2oNJ_Ea8I

He recommends completing 2-3 tests and combine this with your health history, symptoms, including the use of antibiotics to determine whether you have candida overgrowth. You need to figure out what is in the intestinal tract as well as what is in the stool. Genova diagnostic labs has a candida immune complex test and metametrix labs has a GI stool effects test. No western doctor will say that you have it and look at you like you are crazy. A holistic doctor may determine that you have other ailments and specific organs that are damaged and can address these issues seperately.

http://www.metametrix.com/
    http://www.gdx.net/

If you think you have candida; the only way I think you will know whether you have it or not is to do the diet. If you have “die off” symptoms and feel worse once on the diet, this means you have candida in my opinion. I say give the diet a try and very likely you will see improvement.

-Raster

Lorelei

Thanks for the feedback Raster.

I had checked out the Genova lab testing among others but it seems none provide absolutely conclusive evidence. They all seem to point to indicators that you might have candida overgrowth.
    I had high hopes when I visited an Integrative Medicine Doc. but that was a lot of wasted time and money. My naturopath never caught on until I mentioned candida overgrowth to him.
    Sticking to the diet.
    Wondering what symptoms of Die-off I should be looking for. I only seem to get flare ups of original symptoms. No nausea, headache, malaise,…

Summer
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 43

Die-off is so tricky.
    I’ve been strict on the diet for almost two weeks (after a one week cleanse)
    I found my symptoms just got worse in the beginning but as I started adding the anti-fungals and pro-biotics, that is when I really felt the die-off. +still do

Usually you will feel run-down sick or near sick feeling.
    Some days are better than others. Yesterday I felt so run down, I was almost passing out all evening, literally.

If you stay strictly on the diet and you have introduced a good anti-fungal and pro-biotic in an appropriate dose and you don’t have any die off symptoms then maybe you don’t have an infestation?

Good luck and keep posting!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

There is no 100% conclusive test you can get that will determine whether you have candida overgrowth. I’d say that the two biggest factors on whether you have it include die-off symptoms after starting the diet (or antifungals and probiotics), or prior use of antibiotics.

-Raster

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Lorelei wrote: Thanks for the feedback Raster.

I had checked out the Genova lab testing among others but it seems none provide absolutely conclusive evidence. They all seem to point to indicators that you might have candida overgrowth.
    I had high hopes when I visited an Integrative Medicine Doc. but that was a lot of wasted time and money. My naturopath never caught on until I mentioned candida overgrowth to him.
    Sticking to the diet.
    Wondering what symptoms of Die-off I should be looking for. I only seem to get flare ups of original symptoms. No nausea, headache, malaise,…

What Genova Lab test have you checked ??
    Candida Immune Complexes in blood ??

If you have an intestinal fungal overgrowth, this test will be positive.
    I don’t know about any negative case from those looking for proves.
    Jorge.

Lorelei

raster wrote: There is no 100% conclusive test you can get that will determine whether you have candida overgrowth. I’d say that the two biggest factors on whether you have it include die-off symptoms after starting the diet (or antifungals and probiotics), or prior use of antibiotics.

-Raster

Well I did stop taking the molybdenum for a day to see how I would feel and I was much more tired than otherwise and just didn’t feel right. (I was taking 600 mcg a day.) My eyesight was pretty blurred that day too. Luckily I am not (yet) suffering from headaches and the other die-off symptoms.

I’ll keep the tests in the back of my mind for when I find a decent doctor.

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

There also a Comprehensive Stool Analysis that you can get done. They are pretty expensive but I found it very useful! Here is a link to one place.
    http://www.labtestingdirect.com/test-kits/item/?pid=625
    This place is easier to read and takes three stool samples.

There is also another company that many doctors prefer, it is metemetrix. They feel it is the most accurate. So far I had two doctors suggest. Though I think the one above may be easy for everyday person to read. For this website you will want to choose the profile that say GI Effects Mycology Profile – Stool if you are looking for candida, parasites, and bacteria. Here is the link http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/categorized
    There is only one stool sample for this test.

These are just options if you want to get numbers and amounts. Actually the first stool test I gave does not give number it just say something like Many yeast, Moderate yeast, little yeast, or rare yeast in each sample. If you get one stool sample with many you have a major problem. Personal I got many yeast in all three samples.

Hope this helps 🙂
    Lauren

I accidentally posted the wrong test for the second test at Matemetrix. I originally wrote GI Effects Microbial Ecology Profile – Stool but I meant to type GI Effects Mycology Profile – Stool. I have edited this post but this is a note for anyone that has read this before the edit. Sorry for the miss type and any confusion that I cause anyone.

Lorelei

Thanks Lauren –

Both these tests cover a lot. It looks like you can do the first one on your own but I wasn’t sure a lay person could interpret the results.
    I am continuing the diet for a couple more months and revisit the tests later if I don’t see improvement. (And I’ll have to save up for it too!)

Lauren

Lorelei wrote:

Both these tests cover a lot. It looks like you can do the first one on your own but I wasn’t sure a lay person could interpret the results.
    (And I’ll have to save up for it too!)

If you have any questions about the test results there is a number to call to get more info. They are very kind and helpful!

And I agree they are very expensive but worth it. Brenda Watson Road to Perfect Health is also a good resource book along with her pbs show to help with confusion. Along with this amazing website. The antifungals on this website are be better suited for a candida problem 🙂

If you are looking for a doctor in the area that might help with some confusion. The ACAM website is great. You might have to go to many doctors before you can find one that knows something. But Able and Raster her are probably more helpful than many doctors.

http://www.acamnet.org/site/c.ltJWJ4MPIwE/b.5420171/k.76F0/Integrative_Medicine_From_ACAM__the_voice_of_integrative_medicine.htm

Lorelei

Lauren wrote: If you are looking for a doctor in the area that might help with some confusion. The ACAM website is great. You might have to go to many doctors before you can find one that knows something. But Able and Raster her are probably more helpful than many doctors.

http://www.acamnet.org/site/c.ltJWJ4MPIwE/b.5420171/k.76F0/Integrative_Medicine_From_ACAM__the_voice_of_integrative_medicine.htm

I contacted a doctor I found through this site. Spoke with the nurse and will see a nurse practitioner there on Monday. They use sublingual drops testing as one of their tests. This clinic deals a lot with yeast syndrome and ongoing female issues related to that. They use a combination of testing, diet and drugs for the treatment.

So thanks for the tip Lauren – Hope it will be worth the 2 1/2 hour drive! Keeping fingers crossed 🙂

Lauren

Lorelei that is great!!!!! I hope it works out for you. I will keep my fingers crossed for sure! I know I willing to drive anywhere, fly anywhere to get answers.
    Lauren

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Candida Tests?’ is closed to new replies.