Candida or something else?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Candida or something else?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

ferb
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Hi, new poster here and looking for some advice as my doctors haven’t been much help.

I’ve had a recurring seborrheic dermatitis on my face (nose and cheeks) for the last 4 years or so (32 year old Caucasian male). It tends to flare up and down, usually getting worse in the spring, and sometimes going away altogether. I have been given at least 6 or 7 different creams which don’t seem to help at all. I have had minor success with diaper rash cream that contains zinc (something I read online) but it never made the rash go away altogether. Twice I was given prednisone which made the rash go away, but it came right back after I stopped taking it. I think the prednisone might have contributed to my hip pain also (see below).

I have also had 2 cases of severe pain in my right hip… once in 2008 and again this year. It seems to coincide with the rash, but I don’t get it every time I get the rash. I have been x-rayed for it twice but they didn’t find anything out of the ordinary.

My doctor is pretty much clueless. He has tested me for lupus twice (negative) and at my request he did a blood test for celiac (also negative). I understand the blood tests are not that accurate so out of desperation, I started a Gluten Free diet anyways just to see if it would help. I’m about 4 and a half weeks in now and I haven’t noticed much of a change so far.

My rash and hip pain have both gotten slightly worse in the last few days. Possibly due to too much sugar and alcohol this past weekend (Gluten Free cake and Sprite/Jim Beam). The more research I do online, the more I am thinking my problems could be linked to Candida more than gluten. I had mentioned this to my doctor when he tested for celiac, but he just kind of shrugged it off and said he’s never seen that and there wasn’t a good way to test for it. If it is a Candida problem, I guess the prednisone they gave me was only making it worse? I also took red yeast rice for high cholesterol for several years… wonder if that could have contributed? Maybe the rash tends to come out in the spring because my immune system is bogged down with seasonal allergies which allows the Candida to spread?

There is a ton of Candida information on the web… almost too much because there are so many opinions and I don’t know who to listen to. 4 days ago I started the candida diet in addition to my gluten free diet. If this really is candida, I hope that I can start to see some results rather quickly with the diet. I don’t think my case is particularly severe… it has come and gone for 4 or 5 years, but tends to go away all together on its own sometimes.

So what do you think? Does candida sound like the culprit here, or am I wasting my time by considering Candida in the first place?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

The same diet that causes or promotes a Candida infestation can cause Seborrheic dermatitis; of course I’m referring to a diet which is plentiful in foods containing sugar, saturated fats, and carbohydrates. So it’s easy to see how a person could suffer from both of these at the same time.

When a person has Seborrheic dermatitis the oil glands are affected, and since a Candida infestation produces a lot of different toxins, a Candida overgrowth could understandably lead to an increase in toxins in the glands and therefore increase the histamine activity which could possibly lead to the Seborrheic dermatitis symptoms increasing.

In addition to the above, many researchers believe that Seborrheic dermatitis is linked to Candida overgrowth in this way; Candida causes an imbalance of beneficial bacteria in the intestines, once this occurs, nutritional deficiencies take place because of the lack of good bacteria, this lack of multiple nutrients can lead to Seborrheic dermatitis and its symptoms.

Understandably, just like Candida, Seborrheic dermatitis symptoms can be either better or worse depending on one’s diet. With all of this information, it’s perfectly reasonable to believe that the Candida diet would benefit not only the Candida infestation, but also Seborrheic dermatitis. Along with the diet, natural antifungals and a high dosage of probiotics would also help.

Able

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Candida or something else?’ is closed to new replies.