Candida, or something else?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Candida, or something else?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  orka1998 7 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Luke
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 20

Hello!

I’m elated to have found a relatively active forum pertaining to candida and tailored to its sufferers. I’ll try to condense this as much as possible, and some insight would be very appreciated as I’ve been struggling with this for quite some time.

I was in a serious car accident in which I broke my neck in several places, and was incapacitated for months. It was after this that many strange symptoms, which I’d previously not given any thought to, started to become more prominent. I had a consultation and several appointments with a naturopath who was almost certain that candida was, in fact, the culprit. She gave me several vitamins and anti-fungals, and I underwent a food sensitivity test which came back positive; I had sensitivities to many different foods:

– many sugars
    – many dairies
    – most gluten and wheat
    – several vegetables and fruits
    – some grains

She suggested I abide the candida diet, and I did, with what I believed to be positive results; but the diet is so very limiting, and after a month’s time I relapsed and began eating the above foods again. However, from what I’ve seen, my symptoms aren’t typical to candida sufferers:

– acne
    – exfoliative cheilitis (white film on lips/peeling lips)
    – weight loss (presumably due to malabsorption)
    – overabundance of mucus in throat (after eating sugar, wheat or dairy)
    – fatigue
    – coughing after eating sugar, wheat or dairy
    – oily hair
    – constipation
    – strange ‘plugs’ on back, chest, shoulders and face; these can be easily removed, but always return not long after
    – cold hands and feet (presumably due to poor circulation which may have been remedied by recent exercise regime)
    – sore, hard stomach after eating wheat and dairy
    – flatulence

I want to know if this is indeed candida, or something else. I’ve started and stopped the candida diet several times, and most–if not all–of these symptoms are alleviated when doing so. At least, I think they are; anti-fungals have little effect and I don’t seem to undergo any sort of die-off. Yesterday, on my diet’s fifth day, I thought I might have sensed some die-off symptoms but, really, I was just very weak due to the diet restrictions and absence of fuel in my body after exercising. I can eat grains fine; none of these symptoms appear after eating them, and I eat rice and quinoa often. I want, more than anything, to know with certainty what I’m dealing with, as even my naturopath couldn’t diagnose me decisively.

Also, I bought two candida cook books, both of which are contradicting and suggest eating some foods while avoiding others.

Do you think it’s candida? Could it potentially be something else? Should I resume the diet without stopping the consumption of grains? I’ve other questions, but this is more than enough for now.

Thank you so much!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

I had sensitivities to many different foods:
    – many sugars
    – many dairies
    – most gluten and wheat
    – several vegetables and fruits
    – some grains
    my symptoms aren’t typical to candida sufferers:
    – acne
    – weight loss (presumably due to malabsorption)
    – fatigue
    – oily hair
    – constipation
    – strange ‘plugs’ on back, chest, shoulders and face; these can be easily removed, but always return not long after
    – cold hands and feet (presumably due to poor circulation which may have been remedied by recent exercise regime)
    – sore, hard stomach after eating wheat and dairy
    – flatulence

I want to know if this is indeed candida, or something else.

It could be something else, of course, but it could just as well be a Candida infestation since all of the symptoms you named can relate closely to the infestation. The Candida are not always the only problem since it can lead “Leaky Gut Syndrome” which in turn causes multiply allergies.
    But as far as Candida is concerned, the most convincing part of your story is this statement:

“most–if not all–of these symptoms are alleviated when doing so (the diet).”

What kind of proof do you need to believe that remaining on the diet will help your problem – no matter what it may be?

I want, more than anything, to know with certainty what I’m dealing with, as even my naturopath couldn’t diagnose me decisively.

Your naturopath couldn’t diagnose it for sure because there’s no test that can prove 100% positive that you hve Candida. The best test is to start the treatment, if it helps in a few weeks or less, then that’s the answer to at least alleviating part of the problem if not all, depending on whether or not it’s actually Candida.

Should I resume the diet without stopping the consumption of grains?

That’s what I would do in your shoes.

Some information that can help you if you’ve not already read them, if you have, it certainly won’t hurt to read them again.

Allowed Foods List
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1136_ALLOWED-FOODS-LIST.aspx

Molybdenum and Die-off
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm11590_Molybdenum-and-Dieoff-Symptoms.aspx#post11590

The Protocol
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1334_From-Able-and-Raster-The-Protocol.aspx

Probiotics
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1108_Lactobacillus-acidophilus-DDS1.aspx

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would try out the diet and if you have any die-off than its safe to say that you have it in my opinion.

I had a lot of these symptoms personally.

-raster

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Hi Luke,

Among many symptoms I am dealing with, I had or still have most of your symptoms:
    – weight loss
    – fatigue
    – oily hair
    – cold hands and feet
    – flatulence

My advice to you is that even tough diet might be difficult at first, if you are determined to get better, then take control of your life and start living healthy and stick to this diet. If you don’t have success within month or two, then decide if you want to keep it up. I’m pretty sure that you will get most of your symptoms cleared. In any case you will improve your overall health.

Also, just so you know, some of my die-off seemed to me as though I’m not getting enough food in. My life is active whether I want it or not (two small kids that take a life out of you on daily basis) so I thought that I don’t have enough energy out of my food. It’s all new and confusing at first. It turned out that it was all die-off. I was so weak, gummy legs and arms, dizzy etc.

Good luck!

Orka

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Candida, or something else?’ is closed to new replies.