Candida is a cruel mistress

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Candida is a cruel mistress

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rallygirl 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

rallygirl
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 15

Hello all. This is my second post here. I would love for my second post to have been a glowing update or good report but unfortunately I had a major downfall yesterday/today. I broke the diet with sugar–twice–and my body is reacting against it pretty strongly. Yesterday I ate plain yogurt (no sugar as far as the label said) for the first time in a little over a week and I had a bad stomach ache/was bloated/felt like I had a cramp for the entire day. I felt so defeated by the end of the day that I also ate a brownie made from carob flour which only added to the sick feeling–so it could have been the combination of the two that caused intense stomach pains. I didn’t vomit eventhough I felt like I had to for awhile.

A glutton for punishment, today I came back for more. I decided to give into my craving for ENERGY (it’s not totally about the sweetness..I need something to wake me up!) and made a lemon cake with all safe ingredients except for coconut milk (and also stevia for the first time since I started the diet). Could this have also made me sick? I didn’t feel too well after eating them. I had one for lunch later this afternoon and I didn’t have a reaction though.

A few hours ago someone came to my house with treats and I ate five chocolate cookies (I know I’m INSANE!). After eating two chocolate cookies my tongue started itching and I started sneezing repeatedly–as if I were allergic to it (I’ve never experienced that before). Cramping, stomach pain, itchiness…I’m sure all of this is candida related but I feel like I’m just going crazy.

What I want to know is, if I stop the madness now (if this is how it’s going to be from now on NO MORE SUGAR EVER I SWEAR) will my body get better or have I done a lot of damage and need to detox again a bit?

Note that I’m not taking any anti-fungals besides adding lemon, garlic and coconut oil in my food as much as I can. I have chicken twice a week–on my busiest days so I can get through it, though lately this hasn’t been enough. Otherwise I only eat eggs, veggies and buckwheat bread. I’m also taking Vitamin C. I haven’t started any probiotics because honestly I haven’t been able to find any—I’m living in a foreign country right now and I’m not sure the best place to find these resources.

I’m really confused as to what’s going on with my body right now. After I switched to stage 1 of the diet I was feeling great. I was able to exercise, I had crazy amounts of energy, felt healthier than ever etc etc Since the start of this week everything has been going downhill. I have very low energy, my body aches constantly, my symptoms from another health issue are acting up, I can’t sleep and I’m constantly hungry (I guess this is par for the course on the diet). Are these just die off symptoms that have randomly started to appear or am I doing something wrong? I just can’t believe my body is having such a violent reaction when honestly I’m not even fighting the candida that hard.

Suddenly I wish I wouldn’t have started this diet at this time in my life because right now it’s causing more problems that I experienced BEFORE I went on the diet 🙁

Anyway, sorry for complaining, thanks for listening and thanks for any advice. I know what I need to do to make this problem go away…I’m just feeling like I’m not equipped to do it right now. And my body reacting this way is making both choices hard.

rallygirl

Also does anyone know of any safe herb I can use to help me last through the day? I’m in serious need of energy. I work and travel around a lot during the day. Not being able to sleep on top of zero battery charge is KILLING me.

I have milk thistle for digestion problems but I don’t and won’t have any access to molybdenum.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

What I want to know is, if I stop the madness now (if this is how it’s going to be from now on NO MORE SUGAR EVER I SWEAR) will my body get better or have I done a lot of damage and need to detox again a bit?

Detoxing for a few days would speed up the recovery from the sugar, but it’s not absolutely necessary in order to eventually reach a cure. But what you need to do is something you already know. Go back on the diet and don’t waste time lengthening the treatment’s time period by eating foods you know you shouldn’t – because now you know the result of doing that. And of course your body can be well and healthy again, as long as you follow the protocol and diet.

I’m really confused as to what’s going on with my body right now.

What’s going on ‘right now’ is a mixture of die-off and a sugar-eating-frenzy by the Candida.

After I switched to stage 1 of the diet I was feeling great. I was able to exercise, I had crazy amounts of energy, felt healthier than ever etc etc Since the start of this week everything has been going downhill. I have very low energy, my body aches constantly, my symptoms from another health issue are acting up, I can’t sleep and I’m constantly hungry (I guess this is par for the course on the diet). Are these just die off symptoms that have randomly started to appear or am I doing something wrong?

The diet can cause severe die-off symptoms if you doing basically nothing to counter the effects (and I do understand this is not totally your fault).
    What’s the dosage suggestion of the milk thistle?
    Are you taking a regular sauna and/or soaking in a tub of hot water every day for as long as possible? The milk thistle and hot tub soaks can both help to lessen the die-off effects, but you’ll have to do the saunas or soaks every single day.

Also does anyone know of any safe herb I can use to help me last through the day? I’m in serious need of energy. I work and travel around a lot during the day. Not being able to sleep on top of zero battery charge is KILLING me.

See if you can find and obtain an herb called Ashwagandha. If you’re able to obtain it, let me know what the dosage on the container is, and I’ll let you know if you can take more than the amount stated. Lack of sleep makes everything else worse, plus it makes you tired, and this herb should help you sleep as well as improve your mood and depression if that’s a problem; it also improves your stamina.

I have milk thistle for digestion problems but I don’t and won’t have any access to molybdenum

For die-off symptoms the following can be helpful. Ecklonia cava is an extract which is derived from sea weed. It’s a potent anti-oxidant which in studies exhibits a stronger effect than other antioxidants. In addition to this, alpha lipoic acid (ALA), n-acetyl cysteine (NAC), and glutathione can help. Of course, that’s providing you’re able to obtain any of these.

You wrote that this is only your second post on the forum; perhaps if you post questions and concerns as well as the feelings and problems you experience as you’re having them more often this would help you. Also if you just want to vent … or yell at us if you need to. We’ll listen. Just talk to us.

Able

rallygirl

Hi Able..thanks for the response. You’re right…I really need to knuckle down and take care of this thing. Stop being such a baby about it…sheesh 😛 The worst thing is that those cookies SUCKED! I mean if I’m going to eat my last cookie for who knows how long it could have at least been good.

Anyway, in response to your questions..

What’s the dosage suggestion of the milk thistle?

I’m not sure. I found the seeds here and have been making my own tea based on a recipe I searched for on the web. The tea contains 1 tbsp of the seeds. The site recommends drinking a cup 30 min before each meal and one before bed and then after three days taking 3 cups a day. I started doing that (well to be honest I just did the 3 cups a day because I can’t make milk thistle tea at work) but then I didn’t have any symptoms anymore so I stopped. Guess I should start again. It also said to add peppermint seeds to make it more effective against liver issues..do you agree with that? Here is the site btw: http://www.ehow.com/how_7103067_prepare-milk-thistle.html

Are you taking a regular sauna and/or soaking in a tub of hot water every day for as long as possible?

No I haven’t but I’m going to start doing the baths. Does the hot water/cold water switch off thing in the shower (that the site recommends) also work?

See if you can find and obtain an herb called Ashwagandha. If you’re able to obtain it, let me know what the dosage on the container is, and I’ll let you know if you can take more than the amount stated.

It’s possible that I can find it here but probably not in capsule form (just like the milk thistle). I’ll do some research because there are some “natural” food stores here that sell a lot of herbs and sometimes also carry the capsule or tinture versions. I’ll also be on the look out for the other extracts you mentioned but I feel my safest bet is locating the herbs.

I will also try to be better about posting questions. I feel sort of lame to post the same questions as everyone else…but I guess part of the forum is to be able to relieve stress. So I will post more often..though I must warn you, be careful what you wish for! I’ve also started a food blog where I also document my progress and I think that will help me too.

Thanks again for all your advice!

rallygirl

Ok I’m back from a citywide search for the herbs/extracts you told me. Unfortunately I had no success. No one recognized it by its native name or by the translation I found for it in Spanish. I have one more place that I can look but won’t be able to until Monday…it’s an Indian food store and I hope they’re at least familiar with it.

I wanted to get your opinion on some other supplements I found. None of them contained sugars or gluten. One is called Davitamon. It has 12 vitamins plus ginseng, guarana, zinc and probiotics (2 million count) and other minerals. I know guarana naturally has caffeine in it but not sure if it would be detrimental if it’s taken with other things.

Another supplement called Energinat has guarana, ginseng and magnesium.

Lastly, I found some capsules of korean red ginseng that is supposed to help with energy and mental fatigue.

I suppose if I can’t find anything I’ll just have to suffer for awhile..the milk thistle isn’t helping me that much. I normally only note the difference for about an hour after I take it. I know there is no official timeline for candida and its affects but die-off usually lasts for about 1-2 weeks right? Or in some cases does it last for a really long time?

Anyway, please get back to me about what you think of these. Thanks!

Able900
    Spectator

Davitamon. Energinat

Personally, I wouldn’t waste my money on either of these products, but if you want to try them, that’s up to you as there may possbly be some slight benefit.

I know guarana naturally has caffeine in it but not sure if it would be detrimental if it’s taken with other things.

Caffeine isn’t going to help anything and is a potential problem.

As far as the die-off symptoms are concerned; if you can obtain Epsom Salts put this in your bath water while soaking.

Surely you can obtain detox teas in Argentina; below is a link leading to information on some of the best teas for detoxing. If you can, obtain a few of these and drink as many cups as you can manage during the day to help detox the aldehydes.

Remember that the Candida toxins are not just bothersome when they’re causing die-off symptoms; they’re also potentially dangerous to your body in general, so please do everything possible to make them as mild as possible.

Let us know if you have other questions.
    Able

rallygirl

Yes, I have seen some detox teas around. I wasn’t sure if they would help me or not. Also I didn’t see the link below. Could you post it again? Thanks!

OH..and one more question. I found some yogurt that’s plain with no added sugar. I know it probably doesn’t have a lot of probiotics (or a large count rather) but is it ok to start with?

Able900
    Spectator

Detox teas:
    http://voices.yahoo.com/the-top-detox-teas-using-herbal-teas-during-detoxification-122194.html?cat=5

Are you talking about the yogurt that you described?
    “Yesterday I ate plain yogurt (no sugar as far as the label said) for the first time in a little over a week and I had a bad stomach ache/was bloated/felt like I had a cramp for the entire day.”

The yogurt probably isn’t going to help much as most regular commercial yogurts aren’t fermented long enough to contain substantial amounts of beneficial bacteria. If you can find Plain Organic Greek Yogurt you’re more likely to obtain a few of the beneficial bacteria.

Able

rallygirl

Yes, that’s the one. I’m on the look out for good greek yogurt. The only brand I can find has sugar and doesn’t say exactly how much. I will try to introduce it slowly this time since last time I ate the whole thing in one sitting and it wasn’t a good experience (didn’t pay attention to the slow intro of probiotics talk).

One more question of the night: chicory root. I found it today and remember hearing that it can substitute coffee. I’m not a huge coffee drinker so I’m not dying for it or anything but I’ve read that it has some good properties that help with digestion and liver issues (I’m sort of worried about my liver now 🙁 poor thing). Is it ok at this stage or is it a possible trigger of some sort? Thanks for answering so many questions!

rallygirl

Never mind I just saw that it is on the ok list for stage 1 (at least according to the website).

rallygirl

Well…I have another question now (ugh). I just violently threw up all of the chicken that I ate a few hours ago (not to be graphic but by the end I was basically dry heaving). Do you think my body has turned against chicken or it has more to do with the fact that I only waited 45 minutes after devouring half a chicken to start exercising (it was a pretty extensive exercise..I broke a sweat and everything)? Does die-off make you more intolerant to certain types of foods? I haven’t thrown up like that since I got alcohol poisoned in college…wow…

My symptoms keep getting worse. I hope vomitting will not be a regular part of die-off 🙁

rallygirl

Woke up feeling awful. Ate some buckwheat bread (to have enough energy to clean my apartment) and my stomach immediately started to twist into knots. I’m miserable. What am I supposed to do if I can’t eat ANYTHING? I’ve had 2 cups of milk thistle tea. Now I’m going to drink chammomile and some ginger tea. I love how everything was pretty good up until 3 days ago…now my boyfriend comes back from his vacation and he’s going to find me crying/heaving/having a panic attack in the bathroom. I hate my body right now.

I swear if this continues for another 48 hours FORGET IT. I felt much better with candida than I do “without” it (sorry this is exaggerated but I’m really upset right now).

rallygirl

Ok I’ve just finished vom session 2 and I’ve calmed down a lot. I’m a bit more clear headed now as well. I should add that an additional culprit could be that I think my buckwheat bread could have gone bad (how long does buckwheat bread keep outside of the fridge? I made it a week ago and now I notice it has a weird sort of smell…then again it’s buckwheat with turmeric..it never smelled that great to begin with ;)).

What do you guys think of a full on fast for the next 48 hours? Just lemon water and tea. I don’t want to weaken my immune system but I don’t want to develop a complex from not being able to keep anything down.

Are there any veggies that are easy on the stomach? I have a lot of spinach in the fridge. Maybe I’ll try that. Sorry for the outburst in my last post 🙁 Roller coaster ride of emotions over here.

Pattinoo
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 50

Hi. I’m completing week 4 and 2 weeks were the cleanse. Day 3 of the cleanse I vomited violently. Then had food aversion for about a week to week and half. 2 of the days I was unable to Eat much, one day 2 hard boiled egg whites and next day 2 hard boiled eggs. I was worried but it passed. The not eating was Not by choice but because I felt off and aversive to everything else. Was intense die off for me. Did you get Molybdneum? I think it’s critical with severe die off. Everything I’ve read by and asked of the experts on this site was extremely useful and got me through the toughest times. I’d ask and be reassured that what I was experiencing was normal or was directed to a good solution. Keep asking and hang in there!

rallygirl

Hi Pattinoo. Thanks your response and the encouragement. Glad I’m not the only one having a tough time with food reactions (though sorry you also had to go through it). I got so desperate the other day that I decided to fix myself a bowl of quinoa. I felt a lot better afterwards and actually held it down.

Now my question is..I know quinoa has been a hot topic at times. Is it going to feed my candida or is it safe? I haven’t had a negative reaction but of course that doesn’t mean that it’s really safe. Advice?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Candida is a cruel mistress’ is closed to new replies.