Candida Diet, Vegan, AND Diabetic?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Candida Diet, Vegan, AND Diabetic?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  RickiH 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

zen50
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

I know it’s probably pretty rare to find the combination of the 3 in one person, but alas, here I am. My glucose levels have been doing better on the diet, but it is still not perfect. It goes up and down every now and then, which forces me off the diet. I almost feel like it’s a losing battle being diabetic (type 1) and trying to fight candida completely. …Also there is the vegan aspect. I am having difficult time finding a decent source of protein. I mean, legumes and nuts, I know, but I can only eat so many a day. Soy is out of the diet, if I’m not mistaken, which is where I use to get my main source of protein before. I almost feel like I’m doing my body more harm being on this diet than if I just ate “carb/soy based” foods in moderation.

…I guess my main question is…do people use this diet alone to control their symptoms, or do they go on meds too? I have NOT tried any meds, and have been doing things naturally. It use to work before, but am having a heck of a time lately and am considering of eating carbs/soy and just go on monostat or difflucan, or whatever and hope for the best…

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

zen50 wrote: I know it’s probably pretty rare to find the combination of the 3 in one person, but alas, here I am. My glucose levels have been doing better on the diet, but it is still not perfect. It goes up and down every now and then, which forces me off the diet. I almost feel like it’s a losing battle being diabetic (type 1) and trying to fight candida completely. …Also there is the vegan aspect. I am having difficult time finding a decent source of protein. I mean, legumes and nuts, I know, but I can only eat so many a day. Soy is out of the diet, if I’m not mistaken, which is where I use to get my main source of protein before. I almost feel like I’m doing my body more harm being on this diet than if I just ate “carb/soy based” foods in moderation.

…I guess my main question is…do people use this diet alone to control their symptoms, or do they go on meds too? I have NOT tried any meds, and have been doing things naturally. It use to work before, but am having a heck of a time lately and am considering of eating carbs/soy and just go on monostat or difflucan, or whatever and hope for the best…

Its going to be pretty hard to get a variety of protein sources, that your body requires for growth & repair, being a vegan on this diet.

Hemp protein powder is allowed.

Chia Seed and Flax Seed are also allowed, although personally flaxseed causes me more digestive discomfort than its worth.

Coconut Flour & other acceptable flours also have a reasonable protein content. See Able & Raster’s diet for the full list.

Spinach, Broccoli, Cauliflower & Kale are high protein vegetables if that helps.

Legumes are high in carbs & phytoestrogens, Soy is absolutely awful stuff & shouldn’t be sold in health food shops, so try to avoid these.

Nuts are consider a problem food on the stricter diet, which most people on this forum follow.

RickiH
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 16

I’m vegan and was on a fairly strict version of the diet as well (not diabetic, but I’m sure I had issues with glucose and insulin balance).

I did eat soy. If you read The Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook by Dr. Zoltan Rona and Annemarie Martin, they allow soy (organic, of course). And tempeh is better than tofu. Bascially, the same protein sources any vegan would have are available, as far as I can tell–the nuts may be limited to certain types, but that’s it. Quinoa is very high protein as well.

I did use some legumes and beans as well… mixing several together also worked for me. And even my snacks included some form of protein. I did post quite a few of the recipes on my blog if you’re interested in checking them out. For instance, a faux “chopped liver” (liverwurst) comes to mind–lentils, green beans and walnuts are the main ingredients, high in protein and just delicious.

And I think Zen50 has already mentioned some great sources!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Candida Diet, Vegan, AND Diabetic?’ is closed to new replies.