Candida diet and allergies and food intolerances

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Candida diet and allergies and food intolerances

This topic contains 22 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  tori276 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

tori276
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

Ok so I’ve had two smear tests come back from the lab over the last two years reporting heavy candida overgrowth and had terrible fatigue for as long as I can remember, so I self diagnosed and put myself on the Candida diet. Basically none of the tablets my doctors have given me seem to work!

I am a highly allergic individual and am actually anaphylaxic and have to carry an adrenalin pen because I’m dangerously allergic to most nuts and seeds – which I found out at 17 when I ended up in hospital after eating poppy seeds – so this cuts out most of the fun things to eat on the diet! 🙁

I’ve recently taken the York test (a very expensive and accurate test) for food intolerances and it’s come back that I am HIGHLY intolerant to:

Egg White
    Egg Yolk
    Yeast
    Peanuts
    Cashew nuts
    Soya
    Almonds
    Hazelnuts
    Brazil Nuts
    Buckwheat
    Potatoes

Now apart from potatoes (which you don’t eat during stage one and two of the diet), buckwheat and eggs were the only thing that filled me up!

I am also borderline for:

Carrots, Cherries, Coconut, Corriander/Dill/Cumin, Corn, Garlic, Gluten, Lime, Millet, Onion, Orange, Pea, Peach, Peppers/Paprika, Plaice/Sole, String beans, sunflower seeds, tea, walnuts and wheat!

So what’s a girl to eat???

Do you think I can cheat the diet a little by having brown rice since It seems I can’t eat anything else?

Pretty much everything appears to be off limits to me now except for plain meat and plain green veg and I’m not sure I can live like this! I desperately want to get better but don’t know what to do?! It’s especially hard with taking a lunch to work too! I used to take chopped boiled eggs and buckwheat crackers but everything is off limits now!?

Any advice appreciated! x

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

tori276;58392 wrote: Ok so I’ve had two smear tests come back from the lab over the last two years reporting heavy candida overgrowth and had terrible fatigue for as long as I can remember, so I self diagnosed and put myself on the Candida diet. Basically none of the tablets my doctors have given me seem to work!

I am a highly allergic individual and am actually anaphylaxic and have to carry an adrenalin pen because I’m dangerously allergic to most nuts and seeds – which I found out at 17 when I ended up in hospital after eating poppy seeds – so this cuts out most of the fun things to eat on the diet! 🙁

I’ve recently taken the York test (a very expensive and accurate test) for food intolerances and it’s come back that I am HIGHLY intolerant to:

Egg White
    Egg Yolk
    Yeast
    Peanuts
    Cashew nuts
    Soya
    Almonds
    Hazelnuts
    Brazil Nuts
    Buckwheat
    Potatoes

Now apart from potatoes (which you don’t eat during stage one and two of the diet), buckwheat and eggs were the only thing that filled me up!

I am also borderline for:

Carrots, Cherries, Coconut, Corriander/Dill/Cumin, Corn, Garlic, Gluten, Lime, Millet, Onion, Orange, Pea, Peach, Peppers/Paprika, Plaice/Sole, String beans, sunflower seeds, tea, walnuts and wheat!

So what’s a girl to eat???

Do you think I can cheat the diet a little by having brown rice since It seems I can’t eat anything else?

Pretty much everything appears to be off limits to me now except for plain meat and plain green veg and I’m not sure I can live like this! I desperately want to get better but don’t know what to do?! It’s especially hard with taking a lunch to work too! I used to take chopped boiled eggs and buckwheat crackers but everything is off limits now!?

Any advice appreciated! x

Tori,

Are the above items positive IgG or IgE or both?

What are all of your symptoms, only food allergies/sensitivities?

What is your history and when did all of this start?

Antibiotics?

I myself have multiple food sensitives (IgG).
    This is a clear sign of severe dysbiosis.
    For me, I was on multiple broad spectrum anti-biotics for almost 90 days.

-Dan

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I know I am “intolerant” to eggs but I consume them anyways. Just because you are allergic doesn’t mean you have to stop eating the food item imho, unless you are highly allergic like you have seen.

You can reverse these allergies with the proper treatment and in the end, these hopefully won’t be as bad as you cleanup your system.

Rice won’t be the end of the world for the diet. You might be able to tolerate quinoa or teff.

My recommendation is to focus on inflammation and consume a lot of anti-inflammatory foods such as salmon, broccoli, spinach, cinnamon, artichoke, etc. Boulardii is also highly anti-inflammatory…a boulardii treatment might completely reverse your allergies from my experience.

-raster

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

raster;58394 wrote: I know I am “intolerant” to eggs but I consume them anyways. Just because you are allergic doesn’t mean you have to stop eating the food item imho, unless you are highly allergic like you have seen.

You can reverse these allergies with the proper treatment and in the end, these hopefully won’t be as bad as you cleanup your system.

Rice won’t be the end of the world for the diet. You might be able to tolerate quinoa or teff.

My recommendation is to focus on inflammation and consume a lot of anti-inflammatory foods such as salmon, broccoli, spinach, cinnamon, artichoke, etc. Boulardii is also highly anti-inflammatory…a boulardii treatment might completely reverse your allergies from my experience.

-raster

But she said she’s allergic to yeast, so that’d be a bad idea at this stage.

It would be best to avoid those foods as much as you can, since the best way to reduce inflammation is to cut out the contributors.

tori276

Hi,

Thanks for the replies I’ve been on and off antibiotics for years – usually get at least one sinus infection or severe chest infection a year requiring them!

Although when I was first born I was pumped full of antibiotics and I think I’ve had the severe fatigue and thrush thing since I first started menstruating at about 13/14! I have a lot of problems with my menstrual cycle and hormone balance too. For example if I work out too hard I start bleeding (even if it’s mid cycle) I’ve had to ditch the personal trainer. I just do light exercise at the gym now. I find B6 really helps me too! Even though my doctor told me all my blood tests are normal! I’m always coming up in hives too! Al the time! Especially when I sweat. The killer fatigue is one of he main things I want to get over though!

Regarding the reactions – I had some igE allergy tests originally done at the hospital when I was diagnosed with anaphylaxis when I was 17(I’m 37 now)- but I know I still react badly to them as I sometimes I have to still use my adrenalin pen and take antihistimine if I’m in danger of my throat closing up and I also end up covered in hives. The foods I am intolerant to in the list above were igG tested and I got these results back last week.

I’m trying to follow as clean a diet as possible with fish and chicken and green veg but it’s hard to feel full-up without some eggs and buckwheat. I’ll try and stick to eating brown rice just once a week (I like wild rice too) and change to rice milk instead of coconut milk to see how it goes.

TheXtremisT – When you say “But she’s allergic to yeast” which food in particular were you talking about? OR did you mean I shouldn’t consume any foods I’m intolerant to?

I did try Quinoa once but ended up with a really gripey stomach

Thanks,
    Vic

raster
    Participant

I’d start eating rice everyday personally…won’t feed the yeast that much.

-raster

tori276

I also had some cheap tests done last weekend at an allergy trade show – I didn’t expect much as they were at least £100 cheaper than the main one I got the results back from last week.

These were by BHR Pharmaceuticals – who supply test kits for chemists and the like.

On the ALLERGY test (the FastCheck POC-20 IgE) – they score you out of 5

I was NEGATIVE (1) to: Ragweed, mugwort, rye, silver birch, latex, cat dander, dog dander, dust mites, egg white, cow’s milk, cod, wheat, peanut, soy bean
    POSITIVE (4) for: Timothy grass and grass mix (this is probably because the only thing i told them on the form was that I had hayfever – wanting to test out how accurate they were)!
    MILDLY (2) reacting for: celery, almond, walnut and hazelnut

Completely different to what I was expecting?!

On the intolerance test (Cerascreen rapid sIgG4)

I was NEGATIVE to: Rice, peanuts, meat mix, soybeans, gluten free grains, milk mix and cow’s milk
    POSITIVE for fruit, wheat and grains containing gluten
    BORDERLINE for: Hen Egg and Potato

Completely different results within a week of each other for the food intolerance test!

Looks like on their allergy test though I can happily eat peanuts (which I know I am dangerously allergic to) – terrible!

My allergy tests years ago were done with a skin prick test and from that I know I was allergic to cats, dogs, silver birch, nuts and seeds!

Curious eh?

Danny33

Tori,

If you have a true allergy or intolerance you SHOULD respect it and avoid eating for now.

I can’t comment on how conclusive your results are on a finger prick test, but I would be very skeptical. I would be more inclined to trust the IgE tests from the doctor and the IgG York test.

There is a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE between an allergy and a sensitivity/intolerance.

In my experience and research,
    An intolerance (IgG) points to enzyme deficiencies, improperly digested food (low stomach acid), and/or missing species of bacteria in the gut (via anti-biotics). Stomach acid triggers enzyme production, so low stomach acid can contribute to food intolerance. Deleting keystone species of bacteria (via anti-biotics)in the gut can also cause food intolerance (e.g. Lactose intolerance). People with healthy gut flora (quantity & diversity) don’t have allergies or sensitivities.

IgE allergies are more complex and much more severe.
    Stimulating production of T-suppressive cells (Tregs) at the lining of the intestines offers a cure for true allergies and auto-immune conditions. These are produced by certain species of bacteria (e.g. Clostridium ex.-Clostridium butyricum). You can bet the individuals with the worse dysbiosis will have worse allergies. Restoring the flora is the key to curing.

How is your digestion and do you benefit from simple pro-biotics at all?

Also, its my own opinion that those with severe dysbiosis should probably avoid seafood.
    There is compelling evidence to suggest that healthy gut bacteria is needed for the proper excretion of mercury.

-D

tori276

Hi again! Thanks for the advice! : )

I’ll avoid the things on the list for now and see how I feel!

I’m not sure if the cheap Allergy IgE test I got done at the weekend can be trusted at all!
    I know for a fact I react really badly to most nuts and animals for example!

Whereas the test I had done at the hospital in 1995 – was very accurate – they drop a small amount of various substances onto your arm and it it reacts you get a large weel come up!

I’m up and down like a yo-yo – one day I feel healthy digestive system wise and other times I suffer severe gas, trapped wind, bloating, and stomach pain. Mainly after I have eaten my lunch in the afternoon.

I also probably only go to the toilet for a bowel movement about once every 2 days! I’ve always been like that!

I have never truly suffered from constipation or diarrhea in my life ever?! I mainly vomit if I have a bad reaction to something!

I’ve tried probiotics when I’ve been on the candida diet in the past but don’ feel much better – they tend to make me feel more bloated?

Just started taking aloe vera (the max strength kind with no additives) and I just feel more bloated and haven’t been to the toilet again in two days. Before I started taking it and I stuck to the candida diet (mainly eating lean fish/meat and green veg) I had a much flatter stomach!

raster
    Participant

If you get gas after eating protein, it could be because of deficiencies in stomach acid:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6027_Hydro-chloric-Acid-and-Health–written-by-Dr–McCoombs.aspx

-raster

tori276

Eek! I have taken the odd Lansoprazole pill recently and over the past few years, for terrible and painful acid reflux that I thought was linked to my hayfever (I’m a singer and it was causing problems with my voice)..

Paperstars
    Replies: 47

Danny33;58399 wrote: Tori,

If you have a true allergy or intolerance you SHOULD respect it and avoid eating for now.

I can’t comment on how conclusive your results are on a finger prick test, but I would be very skeptical. I would be more inclined to trust the IgE tests from the doctor and the IgG York test.

There is a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE between an allergy and a sensitivity/intolerance.

In my experience and research,
    An intolerance (IgG) points to enzyme deficiencies, improperly digested food (low stomach acid), and/or missing species of bacteria in the gut (via anti-biotics). Stomach acid triggers enzyme production, so low stomach acid can contribute to food intolerance. Deleting keystone species of bacteria (via anti-biotics)in the gut can also cause food intolerance (e.g. Lactose intolerance). People with healthy gut flora (quantity & diversity) don’t have allergies or sensitivities.

IgE allergies are more complex and much more severe.
    Stimulating production of T-suppressive cells (Tregs) at the lining of the intestines offers a cure for true allergies and auto-immune conditions. These are produced by certain species of bacteria (e.g. Clostridium ex.-Clostridium butyricum). You can bet the individuals with the worse dysbiosis will have worse allergies. Restoring the flora is the key to curing.

How is your digestion and do you benefit from simple pro-biotics at all?

Also, its my own opinion that those with severe dysbiosis should probably avoid seafood.
    There is compelling evidence to suggest that healthy gut bacteria is needed for the proper excretion of mercury.

-D

Sorry to somewhat derail the thread, but I was just wondering, what does a person do then if the reason they are intolerant/allergic to foods is because of missing gut flora? Reducing candida overgrowth, will allow bacteria to take it’s place but won’t we be still be missing the specific species that are native to our gut? I mean, we can obtain probiotics through food but would that really suffice? And would they not be transient, meaning we’d have to eat them on a regular basis? As far as I’ve read, the only way to obtain it is through fecal transplants and from what I’ve read on curezone, FMT doesn’t seem to work successfully to overcome candida overgrowth. And I wonder if it will once candida overgrowth is reduced, since who knows if the existing gut flora will allow the new flora to take over? Perhaps the reason why it works in C-diff so well is because it’s like a blank slate in the flora.

Danny33

Paperstars,

These are great questions, and I believe you are correct in saying that fecal transplants don’t cure candida overgrowth. A Candida overgrowth makes it impossible to re-inoculate the intestines with diverse and robust flora. Once the yeast overgrowth is reduced or removed you can actually start recruiting new and persistent species of flora. Its certainly possible but won’t happen overnight.

Beyond a fecal transplant I think that we can find our missing flora in the soil (raw and fermented vegetables), from other people and animals (shaking hands, kissing, kissing your dog that digs, etc.). Remember babies are born with sterile intestines and by the age of 3 they will have recruited “adult flora”. Baby intestinal flora (1-2 years old) actually starts out with mostly “milk” probiotics (lactobacillus, bifidobacteria, etc. from breast milk). Most babies put everything in their mouths, get held by hundreds of people, get kissed by everybody, interact with other babies, etc. I think simply lifestyle offers a piece of the microbiota puzzle. It doesn’t take a large number of a specific bacteria to find a home in your intestines. You can research how fast bacteria grow, its amazing.

I would bet the cleanest people who live sanitized lives (bleach, hand sanitizer, etc.) will likely take the longest to replenish their flora. Most supplemental pro-biotics do not persist in the gut unfortunately. I do notice that Prescript-Assist and Probiotic-3 offer at least a few permanent species. There are probably others.

Tori,

BTW, Acid reflux is usually a symptom of low stomach acid, not too much.
    You may benefit from Betaine HCL, its cheap and safe to try.

-D

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

Hi Tori, for your question earlier where I said you should avoid yeast, it was in reference to Raster’s recommendation of taking a probiotic supplement called Saccaromyces Boulardii. It is a fantastic product from all the testimonials on here and other forums, and will in no doubt be useful at some stage as you get better. But because you said you’re intolerant to yeast, this would be a no-no right now in my opinion. Raster was right in recommending it, but it is better for people who have either reduced their infestation over time, or are not sensitive to yeast.

By the way, your symptoms are similar to mine, relating to intolerances, low stomach acid and severe gut dysbiosis due to antibiotics for years and years. I think Danny is/was the same?

For Danny: Could I ask you at some point how you have dealt with all these gut problems, because a lot of people have it similar, and we’d definitely benefit from any advice?

tori276

Hi,

Thank you all so much for the replies so far! : ) It’s really nice to know I’m not on my own in this!

These are the pro-biotics I have used in the past! I think they look ok but not really sure what I’m looking for!

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-mega-potency-acidophilus-capsules-60001540

But I recently discovered these at a health show at the weekend and I think I’ll give these a go! http://www.optibacprobiotics.co.uk/shop/for-daily-wellbeing-extra-strength.html

Trying to stick to the diet as much as possible, and eating protein and green veg or salads with a little brown rice or oatbrown – which I don’t seem to react to!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Candida diet and allergies and food intolerances’ is closed to new replies.