candida, breastfeeding and in the Middle East – help!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions candida, breastfeeding and in the Middle East – help!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lucylu 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mazz
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 30

Hi, I’m new here. I went gluten free about a month ago because a nutritionist friend suggested my symptoms might be gluten intolerance. It helped a lot but then I realised sugar and white rice and a few other things were triggers as well, and that gluten is only part of it and that it’s candida – probably the legacy of a whole year, four years ago, when I was taking antibiotics as an antimalarial (can’t believe the doctors will even let someone do that)!

The diet is a real challenge for me because I am still breastfeeding my little girl so I’m very wary of even attempting Stage 1 – she just takes so much out of me, I have to be able to put something back. My other big problem is that I live in Kuwait and it’s really hard, if not impossible, to get hold of unusual ingredients here. I have access to plenty of vegetables, but I cannot get coconut flour, buckwheat flour or almond flour (I can get almonds to make my own almond milk, and also ground almonds). Occasionally I can get organic eggs at vast expense, but most eggs and meat are definitely NOT organic. Most of the supplements mentioned on here are not available, although my mum is arriving for a visit the day after tomorrow and is bringing probiotics.

Can someone advise me please? Is it okay to go ahead with the strict diet and not attempt stage one? And what on earth can I eat, apart from vegetables? I’ve been eating brown rice and it doesn’t SEEM to cause a reaction but I read somewhere on here that it may still be feeding the candida?

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

mazz wrote: Hi, I’m new here. I went gluten free about a month ago because a nutritionist friend suggested my symptoms might be gluten intolerance. It helped a lot but then I realised sugar and white rice and a few other things were triggers as well, and that gluten is only part of it and that it’s candida – probably the legacy of a whole year, four years ago, when I was taking antibiotics as an antimalarial (can’t believe the doctors will even let someone do that)!

The diet is a real challenge for me because I am still breastfeeding my little girl so I’m very wary of even attempting Stage 1 – she just takes so much out of me, I have to be able to put something back. My other big problem is that I live in Kuwait and it’s really hard, if not impossible, to get hold of unusual ingredients here. I have access to plenty of vegetables, but I cannot get coconut flour, buckwheat flour or almond flour (I can get almonds to make my own almond milk, and also ground almonds). Occasionally I can get organic eggs at vast expense, but most eggs and meat are definitely NOT organic. Most of the supplements mentioned on here are not available, although my mum is arriving for a visit the day after tomorrow and is bringing probiotics.

Can someone advise me please? Is it okay to go ahead with the strict diet and not attempt stage one? And what on earth can I eat, apart from vegetables? I’ve been eating brown rice and it doesn’t SEEM to cause a reaction but I read somewhere on here that it may still be feeding the candida?

Hi and welcome!
    I will give you some links as a good starter, read through them they will answer a lot of your questions. Feeding the baby you need to be smart and eat well to be strong. So, before you go into the battle with candida through the diet, read and ask here and then move on. Everyone is different and what works works. So why not starting slowly, if brown rice works for you, great. Dont make yourself crazy with that I might feed the candida but I dont feel anything. If I would feel good I would give a dam if I have candida or not. The problem is that I have a lot of problems and they make me move. what kind of symptoms do you have?

Anyhow here are the links:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1334_From-Able-and-Raster-The-Protocol.aspx

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1136_ALLOWED-FOODS-LIST.aspx

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst815_Dieoff-Dangers.aspx

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1173_Vitamins-Minerals-Herbs.aspx

You can order from Kuwait I guess, iHerb sends their stuff around the world.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst2463_Product-Sources–Europe.aspx

all the best and if you have any question people here love to help you!
    yours
    thomas

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Hi mazz,

I am not a big expert on getting rid of candida (yet!) but I am a mother who breastfed her kids and have some knowledge about the right nutrition while breastfeeding.

My advice to you is, don’t add more stress to your life than you already have. I did that as I am living in a country where a lot of the items needed for the treatment are not available. You probably already know, stress is not good for you, baby or the treatment. Start slow. First get rid of everything from your diet that you know is bad or will feed candida (such as sugar, yeast etc.). Then look at everything suggested to eat and try to make a meal plan out of it. It will be tough in the beginning until you figure out what to eat throughout the day. Don’t stress about organic. It is much better if you have it, but if you don’t there is nothing you can do about it. I rarely find anything organic where I am.

As you probably already know, what’s very important is that you take in enough nutrients which you are also passing on to the little one, and not to damage yourself of course. You also must be careful about what you pass into the milk and nobody will be able to tell you what a safe amount of any supplement while breastfeeding is besides of prenatal vitamins. Be extra careful of any supplements you plan to take.

It will be tough for you to do the diet without milk/dairy and breastfeed. Do you have access to kefir grains? I think that home made kefir would be one of the very important things for you to include for two reasons. One is that it would give you calcium and protein you need (among other good stuff) and at the same time it is very important for treatment because it’s very good probiotic.

I don’t know how tough your symptoms are, but I was pretty sick when my candida infestation culminated and “days from hell” lasted for four months. Even though I started the diet wrong (I followed the web site diet first and ate a lot of meat which is not good for detox phase), I still felt better after initial die off. I didn’t do the cleanse either since I am single mom working full time so no time to take it easy. I learned how to deal with die off (drinking tons of water really and lemon water three times a day really helps), and I modified the diet once I realized I was not feeling ill because I was hungry but because of the die off.

So what I am saying is that if you manage to change your diet close to what is suggested here it might help anyway. And perhaps wait until you stop breastfeeding to attack “the beast” with all you got. One thing I am concerned about is that change in your diet might still trigger the die off reaction and once these toxins start getting released, will any end up in your milk? How old is your baby and how much longer do you plan to breastfeed? Are you close to the stopping? If yes, perhaps you can wait until you finish breastfeeding?

One more advice I have. Your body is recovering from birth and it still is tough for you while you are breastfeeding so be careful and slowly adjust your diet. One more thing that does not go in your favor is caring for a baby and probably lack of sleep. I know it’s tough but you must find time to rest as well. My candida started to take over after I had my twin girls as I forgot to take care of myself paired up with few rounds of antibiotics.

As far as nutrition, with lots of different vegetables, some chicken, young fish and eggs you should be able to feed yourself and your little one for a short while. You have all the good stuff in the diet, only thing is that you have less are calories so you need to find a way to get the extra calories in. Maybe more meals? I ate brown rice when I started the diet and still I got die-off. Some other members ate brown rice as well while on diet.

So don’t rush, your chance to do this will not go anywhere and you can do it whenever you want and it’s up to you to decide how to do it. Read up on it as much as you can, educate yourself about all the options you have and make a plan for yourself and start the diet when you feel you investigated it well enough.

Good luck to you and I hope this works out for you!

Arijana

mazz
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 30

Thank you both for the advice – that’s quite reassuring that it’s okay just to take it slowly.

My symptoms are fatigue and swollen glands, mainly, but since I cut out gluten I suddenly had a vaginal infection which I presume must have been die-off? I’m also finding that how much coconut oil I take has an effect on how sore my glands are, so I presume it must be doing something useful, and hopefully I can just take enough to keep it at a manageable level.

I haven’t seen kefir here but we have a yoghurty sort of drink called laban which is kind of like liquid natural yoghurt, so I’m having a lot of that. We also have labneh, which is strained yoghurt but is more like cream cheese. I have also been eating quite a bit of meat – hadn’t realised I shouldn’t be but perhaps it’s not too bad if I’m getting a bit of die-off anyway?

My daughter is 2.5 and I’ve no idea when she’s going to stop breastfeeding! I don’t really want to put it off as I’ve been feeling rough anyway and I need that to change, and also because we’d actually like to try for another child sometime soon and don’t want to do that with candida.

She had a big eczema flare-up in the last couple of weeks so I’m wondering if that was a bit of die-off for her, as she hasn’t been having quite so much gluten and sugar in her diet (although I’m not really restricting what she eats in any way, apart from less junk food). The eczema has gone right down now. She often complains of a sore vagina (it gets very red) and sore mouth, so we have the oral daktarin gel and she’s been having that and lots of yoghurt. I think a probiotic supplement is the only one I’m going to be able to take, so can’t imagine that will do her any harm (I took one when she was newborn as we both had thrush then as well). Hadn’t thought about toxins in the breastmilk but I think she’s probably old enough (and eats enough other food) to cope with them okay.

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

The suggestion on avoiding meat is because it releases ammonia in intestine, same as candida. So you make the environment better for candida and add more toxins for your body to get rid of. If you can reduce it that would help you with your treatment. I ate lots of meat at the beginning because I thought I was hungry where in fact I had die-off, but also honestly I didn’t figure out what to eat at first. Now I eat half of chicken breast per week or two chicken legs or same amount of turkey no more per week. On another day in a week I will have one of the approved fish meats, usually baked sardines as they are so inexpensive healthy and easy to make.

As you start the diet and start feeling better (and hungry) you will start to get creative with your meals and then you can ease off the meat for a while.

Remember also to drink a lot of water, as much as you can tolerate. This will help with any die-off you have. At least it helps me a lot. I couldn’t get molybdenum as well.

This is why it’s actually good that you are doing this slowly because if you don’t have access to molybdenum, killing off candida quickly could harm your liver.

Arijana

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi Mazz!

Firstly, well done for breastfeeding for so long… she’s a lucky girl! I’d finished breastfeed my 4th by the time that I was diagnosed with candida but I think I managed to pass it on to him by then anyway 🙁 He gets a white sore tongue very frequently, and fungal type infection in his nappy area. I’ve had him on an infant probiotic and that has helped both and he also has a lot of my candida friendly food like coconut oil, organic eggs, roast veggies. He’s only 14 months though so I don’t want him to be fully carb free and it’s hard to eliminate all sugars (he loves his fruit!). Also he takes formula from a cup and there’s so much nutrition in that (iron, all the vits etc) that I don’t want him off that just yet either. So what I’m trying to do is feed him as healthily as possible and give him the probiotic and hopefully that will work for now.

I grew up in the Middle East (Qatar) and still visit my parents there so understand your limitations with buying all the bits. There’s a girl Trixie on here who lives in the Middle East but hasn’t been on the forum for a while – I’ll PM her and see if she has any ideas for you.

Best of luck with your recovery (by the way I second all of what Orka says about keeping healthy being your main priority – there’s just no way you could do a crash diet of the cleanse etc).

Lx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘candida, breastfeeding and in the Middle East – help!’ is closed to new replies.