Can you overdose on herbs?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Can you overdose on herbs?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 8 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

FourFlush
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

I’m guessing maybe I got a little too trigger happy. I just purchased the following products:

-Now Foods, Candida Clear, Intestinal Health, 180 Vcaps
    -Now Foods, Virgin Coconut Oil, 1000 mg, 120 Softgels
    -Now Foods, Garlic Oil, 1500 mg, 250 Softgels
    -Now Foods, Oregano Oil, 90 Softgels
    -Jarrow Formulas, Jarro-Dophilus EPS, 5 Billion Organisms per Capsule, 120 Veggie Caps

I purchased these items because I’ve read on various websites that these herbs should help combat Candida. I’m just wondering how I should take these things. I don’t want to over do it.

Also, I’d like to note, that before I realized any of this Candida stuff, I was already on the following products.

-Nordic Naturals, Arctic Cod Liver Oil Soft Gels, Lemon Flavor, 1000 mg, 90 Soft Gels
    -Rainbow Light, Just Once, Men’s One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets

I’m thinking about quitting the once a day vitamin for a while so I can combat the candida. Should I quit with the fish oil for the time being?

I know this post is overwhelming. I apologize. I just don’t want to mix things that shouldn’t be mixed and I don’t want to over do it. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Bob

guedez16
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

herbs are just herbs, is like saying you’re eating too much lettuce…you’ll be fine but you might feel a greater “detox” symptom at first since you have so many herbs fighting candida….and i also heard that candida can become resistant to some herbs? so you might want to alternate them weekly….but i believe that’s bullcrap : )

2ndRound
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 9

I’m in the opposite camp saying DO rotate them every 2 weeks or so and DO take a few different ones at a time of the medicines. (some website I was on say 4 at a time, but the Candigone kit I’m using basically hits me with 16!) I say this emphatically because I just watched some awesome Biology class videos on http://www.KhanAcademy.org that explained how resistance occurs. “Introduction to Evolution and natural selection” its the first video in the course, though more details below are in later videos.

Basically the situation is that if you take something say, Caprylic Acid, all the time it tends to kill those candida that are more disposed to being killed by it. Just like you know that really annoying old guy who has perfect health just because they are them, so is there also their biotic counterpart in the society of Candida that the Caprylic Acid just won’t put down. That naturally leaves all of those biota that are LESS disposed to being killed by Caprylic Acid, stay around longer and have a multiplying party, thus, Caprylic Acid becomes less and less effective because the other guys who happen to be more resistant are hanging around and multiplying more. So, that’s why you should switch it up.

Its also why we are becoming more resistant to antibiotics in the world too. Because a certain strain/specific biota that happened to not be affected by the antibiotic just happened to have the opportunity to multiply more.

Also re: the multivitamin and fish oil: when my Naturopath had me go on a cleanse diet she made sure I kept up with the multivitamin, an omega 3 capsule, and the acidophilus pearls probiotic.

The multivitamins because when your gut is inflamed/out of control/etc your intestinal tract isn’t absorbing nutrients as well, so more nutrients is better, especially on a controlled diet.

The Omega 3 to help lubricate the colon – so should also help the detox and avoid constipation. Not sure if cod liver oil would be a similar thing or not, but I’ve read good things about that brand and I haven’t had any trouble with mine on my diet, though I haven’t been taking it as often as I could.

She had me take the pearls specifically because it had a patented coating that allowed the probiotic to actually get into the gut better. I’ve had my friends start on that one and after a few days of gassy discomfort they feel leagues better. But you have to keep taking it. It travels well too, doesn’t need refrigeration.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

guedez16 wrote: herbs are just herbs, is like saying you’re eating too much lettuce…you’ll be fine but you might feel a greater “detox” symptom at first since you have so many herbs fighting candida….and i also heard that candida can become resistant to some herbs? so you might want to alternate them weekly….but i believe that’s bullcrap : )

To say that taking too much of an herb is the same as eating too much lettuce, and that anyone will be fine if they do so, is a completely unsafe and irresponsible statement.

In addition, the possibility of Candida becoming immune to certain antifungal herbs is not bull rap. Candida has the ability to change itself in order to become resistant to some antifungals, especially when they’re taken for extended periods of time. However, I’m not sold on the idea that rotating different kinds will work. I’ve not seen proof of this actually working, but if anyone has had an experience with this and has actually cured their Candida by doing that, I’d love to hear about it.

According to the Herb Encyclopedia – “Many herbs can be harmful in large or prolonged dosages.”

Taking large or frequent doses of herbs can cause immunity to the herb.

Some people have allergic reactions to herbs, so any new herb should be taken very slowly and in low doses starting out.

Also, many herbs can have a serious adverse reaction if mixed with certain prescription drugs.

How many people do you suppose use aloe vera for the first time without the knowledge that if they’re allergic to garlic or onions, they’re also likely to have reactions to aloe vera, even if used topically? Or if taken on a long term basis, aloe vera depletes potassium from our system? I shouldn’t have to say that this can be very dangerous.

And how many people taking GSE know that the USDA as well as researchers in Germany have conducted grapefruit seed extract studies and discovered that some GSE brands contained something called ‘benzethonium chloride’ as a preservative. This is a man-made chemical compound that’s normally found in cosmetics. According to the material safety data sheet for this chemical, it may affect genetic material and, based on animal test data, it can cause cancer, or at the very least damage the mucous membranes. Just as importantly, in research tests, GSE was shown to reduce the Lactobacilli in humans, to both significant and mild degrees.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Can you overdose on herbs?’ is closed to new replies.