Can anyone please help/give me advice?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Can anyone please help/give me advice?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  lolcandida 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Waitingindreams
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

I have had a terrible candida rash under my breasts, for about 8 years (I have VERY large breasts) I have used antifungal creams before. The first one did nothing…then I was finally given a combination of desonide lotion and ketocazonale cream. This worked perfectly…but as soon as I stopped using them, it came back full force. I do my best to keep the area under my breasts clean and dry, but nothing seems to work. I’ve tried different soaps…including “Candida Freedom” and that did nothing either.

I was diganosed with celiac disease in June of 2013, so I am already eating a gluten free diet. Now, I have transitioned into a dairy free, low histamine version of the Specific Carbohydrate diet. (This diet is completely grain free and low carb)

I mostly eat grilled vegetables (non-starchy, like zucchini and broccoli), grilled or baked chicken, almond butter (no sugar added), and I sometimes (rarely) eat fruit. If I do eat fruit, I either eat berries or baked apples. I only drink water or sparkling mineral water…no coffee, juice, tea, etc. Just water. Once I get a yogurt maker, I plan on making homemade yogurt. I try to avoid processed salt and go for celtic sea salt to season the vegetables and chicken. I only use olive oil or coconut oil. For snacks, I have roasted pumpkin seeds. No sugars, apart from the few fruit I eat occasionally. I only even eat fruit because my diet is so limited, I need something else to eat! I have tried digestive enzymes as well as different probiotics. I have tried Culturelle, an SCD legal probiotic, and I am currently taking another probiotic from my naturopath. As far as antifungals go, I have taken Diflucan (just one dose) and I didn’t see much of an improvement…and then I tried something called AC Formula II (prescribed by the naturopath) I had to stop taking it due to extreme constipation…and I haven’t taken it since. My diet is so limited that I don’t have regular bowel movements…this is getting ridiculous. I don’t have health insurance right now, so I can’t keep going to the doctor…and i can’t order those creams again or spend a lot of money on probiotics. I need something that works. I do want to use those creams again, because I do feel that once the rash is gone, with my strict diet it won’t come back as badly as it currently is. I use Zeasorb antifungal powder to try to keep the rash at bay (at the recommendation of my dermatologist), but it doesn’t seem to be doing anything at all. I also seem to have minor rashes under my armpits now, that has not gone away despite switching to an all natural, aluminum free deodorant.

What am I doing that is so terribly wrong? I read conflicting reports about fruit…some say you need to avoid it completely, others say you can have it sparingly. Regardless, I just recently added fruit back into my diet…the rash was HORRIBLE even before I did that. I do use Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar topically as a toner sometimes – it helps with my seb. dermatitis on my forehead. Does it really have any healing properties if taken internally as a cleanse? I am at my wit’s end.

As for my large breasts, I was approved for breast reduction surgery, but I was advised that I could not have the surgery unless I cleared up the candida. I would prefer to do it naturally, but I am fed up. I just want to get rid of it. This diet is very hard to maintain and I’m not seeing any results. I am prepared to stick to a modified version of this diet permanently if I see great results…I just want to figure out what I need to do. Any advice? Should I ask for a prescription of Diflucan once I have insurance? Do any of the other advertised antifungals work any better… Candizyme, Candex, etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

lolcandida
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 32

Candida is caused by a slowed metabolism/hypothyroidism. This condition results from inadequate carbohydrate in the diet which serves to down regulate the metabolic rate, reduce body temperature, reduce enzyme and gastric acid production as well as immunity in general.

Looking at candida as solely a pathogen is incorrect and not a holistic way of viewing the body. To beat candida you need to repair your metabolism so that the bodies own immune system takes care of candida without issue. All one needs to do is consume a diet very high in carbohydrate with adequate protein so that the body can repair itself. The problem is that when one has candida the digestive tract will not be functioning well and many types of carbohydrates will not be tolerated by the patient.

The solution is to consume very easily digested sources of carbohydrates that even the slowest of metabolisms will be able to digest. These sources include: raw honey, orange juice, other fruit juices, and watery fruits like grapes. Carbohydrates that have a starch component like apples, or sweet potatoes will cause problems for those with candida because these types of carbohydrates digest slowly and allow candida, along with other pathogens that will always be present with this condition, to ferment these carbohydrates and release toxins into your blood stream.

When one adopts a high carbohydrate diet composed of easily digested sources of carbohydrates the problem of candida will resolve quite rapidly. It should take less than a couple of weeks to notice drastic improvements in your condition. I consumed well over 3000 calories of juice a day to beat candida and heal my metabolism which now allows me to eat any food without issue.

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 268

lolcandida;60145 wrote: When one adopts a high carbohydrate diet composed of easily digested sources of carbohydrates the problem of candida will resolve quite rapidly. It should take less than a couple of weeks to notice drastic improvements in your condition.

Wow! That’s amazing!

Is this something that works only for some people (maybe even only for you) but doesn’t work for everyone, or is this principle more broadly applicable and will it help the majority of sufferers?

Rabelais

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

Don’t worry about fruits. Fruits are excellent for detoxing. I felt much better once I included more fruits. Fruits are just simple sugar, which means that it doesn’t ferment in your gut unlike complex sugars.
    This doesn’t mean that you can start eating candy, because that fucks up your blood sugar. Fruits are known to stabilize blood sugar levels. If you are not confident eating fruits, just avoid the ones high in fructose. Another good source of carbs are foods high in fibers or resistent starch, like coconut flour or chick peas. Avoid simple starches at all costs! (bread, rice, pasta) A gluten free diet is already a good start.

What lolcandida says is true in general (the holistic part). But I wouldn’t start consuming fruit juices or honey.

Using Rx antifungals is nonsense imho, because it just fights the symptoms (the candida) and does not solve the problem which can be various.
    Do you have other symptoms?

Waitingindreams

Thank you for the replies so far. Unfortunately, it seems as the two of you are telling me two different things.

lolcandida, I appreciate a different view on the candida diet, but do you have any studies to back your claim up, or was this more of a trial/error thing you decided to try on yourself? Was it just the mindset that low carb wasn’t working for you, so you tried increasing your carbs? That’s what I gathered from your post. I am not doubting that this worked for you, I just don’t see how it could work for me. Once I went gluten free, rice and potatoes became a much bigger part of my diet than they ever were. I saw my candida get worse…although the rash is awful, it is nice to have a visual so that I can see what is working and what isn’t. I love potatoes, especially when cut up and grilled, but I learned that I had to let them go. All grains as well. I feel my candida is because of a leaky gut, due to undiagnosed celiac disease (10+ years undiagnosed) You are telling me to increase my carbs and my fruit juice intake. I am trying to keep a rather low histamine diet, so rice and potatoes would be fine…but citrus juice would not be. Also, the last time I had grapes I became rather ill. I blamed it on the natural yeast in the grapes, and I haven’t touched them since. I really don’t think your diet would help me at all, but if there were more proof in that it could work for others, I would give it a try. Also, I am following the Specific Carbhoydrate diet, which does focus on consuming carbohydrates/food that are easy to digest. It is geared toward healing all bowel diseases, and as I have celiac disease I figured it’d be a good start. Regardless, the gluten free diet has not been enough for me. Potatoes are considered too starchy for this diet, as are all grains. Also, to respond to your point on hypothyroid, the SCD diet is also apparently a great place to start for those wishing to control their hypothyroid issues, including those with Hashimoto’s. As far as I am aware, I do not have a thyroid issue…but if I do, this diet seems like the great place to start for everything.

thechosenone, I cannot have chickpeas on this particular diet, although I do love them! Especially hummus. This diet is very strict. It does allow some forms of dairy, but i am following a dairy free version of it. What are you using to control your candida if not prescription medicine? I have tried taking extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil orally daily, it did nothing. I am considering doing an ACV cleanse. I’ve added cinnamon into my diet as I’ve read that is another natural antifungal. I’ve heard bad and good things about the others, such as oil of oregano. I know garlic is a good one too, but I have a hiatal hernia and I try to avoid things that will aggravate it.

What do you mean by other symptoms? As mentioned I have celiac disease, so I have a lot of complications from that as I try to heal my gut. Seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, etc etc. Major bloating when I eat certain foods, which caused me to have the hiatal hernia. My skin conditions have improved a LOT since I switched to more natural hair/skin products, and cut out problem foods, but the issue still exists. My hands are incredibly smooth and clear, even though it’s getting colder out. Normally they’d be cut up and sore from the cold. It really is discouraging when every time you seek out information, it all contradicts each other. Some say fruits are fine, others say avoid them. Some diets say gluten free grains are fine, others say go grain free completely. Now I’m being told potatoes are fine. I do trust the SCD diet when it comes to healing my gut, but I’m not sure it will be effective for candida. At that rate, I might have to heal my gut completely before trying to go back and kill the candida? Oi.

Should I be taking certain vitamins daily? Can you recommend the best probiotics, etc? It seems that this rash is here to stay. Is there a possibility that I actually don’t have candida internally, and the rash is just a yeast infection on my skin? I don’t seem to have yeast issues anywhere else, apart from now under my armpits. (That seemed to start by an allergic reaction to deodorant, it was odd) I am going to try to apply apple cider vinegar topically to see if that does anything.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

For rashes I would focus on your liver health. Your body is detoxing via the skin because your bodies ability to detox toxins is impaired…your body detoxes via 3 basic methods, the lungs, the skin, and the bowels. Some people develop skin problems, some people develop asthma.

I would also check out your HCL levels and supplement with HCL because lack of HCL can cause skin problems:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6027_Hydro-chloric-Acid-and-Health–written-by-Dr–McCoombs.aspx

-raster

Waitingindreams

raster, thank you for your reply. I do have low levels of stomach acid, as I have acid reflux caused by a hiatal hernia. I do not take anything for this. My PCP was the one that prescribed me medication for the acid reflux (he didn’t realize I had a hernia, he thought I just had GERD). I have tried taking pepcid, prilosec, etc, and all seemed to make it worse. (Little did i know it was because my stomach acid levels were too low, not too high) I stopped taking them…then months later my naturopath discovered I had a hiatal hernia caused by all of the extra weight of bloat around my abdomen…due to the undiagnosed celiac disease and unknown food intolerances, like soy. (It never ends) So I don’t necessarily feel the need to have my levels checked if I know that they are low. (I’ve done a lot of research, and found out that acid reflux problems means you have low stomach acid, not high)

What is the next step? Should I talk to my doctor about supplementing with HCL? I’ve never heard of that! I have had my hernia adjusted twice so far…it came back again after I was severely constipated during a strict candida regimen (Honestly, it never ends…) so right now, I am focusing on getting the bloating down and strengthening my abdominal muscles, and then having it adjusted. I am not very overweight, I just carry a lot of weight in my stomach, all bloat. Some days I would look 9 months pregnant. It’s been exhausting. I do not want to have the surgery for it, as everything I’ve read has been against it. In many cases it comes back…and with my candida problem I can’t have surgery anyway.

I read through the posts on the thread you sent me, should I be tested for H.pylori, then? Hmm…this is all very interesting…wow! Lol. I’m going to have to make a list.

Also, how do I focus on my liver health? Not really sure how to check in on that. Thank you!

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

Bloating means fermentation which is the main source of candida. Do what raster said, take HCl, which is the most important supplement if you have low stomach acid.
    Coconut oil is quite strong normally… Other antifungals: caprylic acid, oregano oil, red thyme and brussels sprouts. The problem with brussels sprouts is the fact that it is high in sulfurs.

I see that you only drink water. That should be ok. But you may drink other stuff like tea and soy milk (beware! organic).

Do not eat potatoes as they are simple starches.

Waitingindreams

I drink unsweetened coconut milk and/or almond milk occasionally. I cannot have soy. I avoid all forms of caffeine.

I have to stress that my gut problems go far beyond candida, and i have other issues to heal due to my villi being damaged from celiac disease. I am not supposed to have any tea, or coffee. I am on a very strict gut healing diet that lists explicitly what you can, and cannot have. I am on a stricter version, as I have avoided all dairy. The bloating is probably caused in part by candida, but it went down tremendously after doing food elimination diets.

Are those the natural antifungals that have worked for you? I have read that all vegetables have antifungal effects…that they all ‘carry’ candida out of your body with them. I’ve increased my vegetable intake a lot, and it doesn’t seem like my rash has improved at all. Caprylic acid, isn’t that found in coconut oil naturally? Isn’t it better to get it from the source?

As for taking HCL, I saw a reply in his post that suggests that one get tested for H.Pylori before starting an HCL supplement. Is that really necessary?

raster
    Participant

Bloating and inflammation have a strong relationship. I would consult your ND about supplementing with boulardii if you want this to improve (its highly anti-inflammatory). Your stomach will look flat like you are a teenager when you are all done with it after a few weeks. Boulardii also produces lactic acid which should help with stomach acid levels.

Other acids not only HCl help with stomach acid. As chosenone mentioned, SF722, caprylic acid, etc. can work (don’t do these with boulardii though), coconut oil, ACV.

I would consult your ND about stomach acid also. Should help with a variety of things.

-raster

Waitingindreams

Okay, great! Thank you for the information. Now, what would you suggest I do to have my liver function tested?

raster
    Participant

Well a variety of people have co-infections such as h.pylori and candida together or SIBO and candida. It’s important to rule these out if you have a candida problem. The symptoms are pretty similar.

As far as figuring out liver health, you should in general focus on detoxing if you are fighting against candida. The candida toxins cause die-off and you need to detox the die-off toxins out of the body in order to get better and feel good. However, if you want to test your liver health, get your liver enzymes tested to see whether they are elevated or not.

-raster

Waitingindreams

Yes, I agree. I have suspected that I might have SIBO for awhile now, but my naturopath hasn’t tested me yet. Might need to go to a GI for that. And I will inquire about the liver enzymes as well. Thank you!

lolcandida
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 32

Waitingindreams;60156 wrote: Thank you for the replies so far. Unfortunately, it seems as the two of you are telling me two different things.

lolcandida, I appreciate a different view on the candida diet, but do you have any studies to back your claim up, or was this more of a trial/error thing you decided to try on yourself? Was it just the mindset that low carb wasn’t working for you, so you tried increasing your carbs? That’s what I gathered from your post. I am not doubting that this worked for you, I just don’t see how it could work for me. Once I went gluten free, rice and potatoes became a much bigger part of my diet than they ever were. I saw my candida get worse…although the rash is awful, it is nice to have a visual so that I can see what is working and what isn’t. I love potatoes, especially when cut up and grilled, but I learned that I had to let them go. All grains as well. I feel my candida is because of a leaky gut, due to undiagnosed celiac disease (10+ years undiagnosed) You are telling me to increase my carbs and my fruit juice intake. I am trying to keep a rather low histamine diet, so rice and potatoes would be fine…but citrus juice would not be. Also, the last time I had grapes I became rather ill. I blamed it on the natural yeast in the grapes, and I haven’t touched them since. I really don’t think your diet would help me at all, but if there were more proof in that it could work for others, I would give it a try. Also, I am following the Specific Carbhoydrate diet, which does focus on consuming carbohydrates/food that are easy to digest. It is geared toward healing all bowel diseases, and as I have celiac disease I figured it’d be a good start. Regardless, the gluten free diet has not been enough for me. Potatoes are considered too starchy for this diet, as are all grains. Also, to respond to your point on hypothyroid, the SCD diet is also apparently a great place to start for those wishing to control their hypothyroid issues, including those with Hashimoto’s. As far as I am aware, I do not have a thyroid issue…but if I do, this diet seems like the great place to start for everything.

There are no studies backing up the candida diet or any diet for that matter. Studies can only last a few months and the results of diets take much longer than that to fully analyze. In coming to my conclusions about candida I reviewed the work of Ray Peat ( raypeat.com/articles ), and others who have done extensive research into hormones and the effects of carbohydrates on them. ( http://www.abioenergeticview.com/2-7 , http://www.abioenergeticview.com/4-1 ) I searched for years for the solution to candida, I tried all the low carb diets and those do not work to beat candida or hypothyroidism which the scd diet will only exacerbate. I am very confident that I can induce candida in anyone and eliminate candida in any human with diet alone. Everyone’s hormones and digestive tract works the same way. A quick look through these forums and others will show you that no one beats candida on a low carb diet. You are correct that leaky gut is a problem with candida, but the solution is to strengthen the gut lining/metabolism and you can only do this with carbohydrates.

Anyone can tolerate raw honey as it is the easiest carbohydrate source to digest, fruit juice is a bit harder to digest, but is far easier than any starch like white rice or potato. You can even increase tolerance to fruit juice or fruit by consuming honey at the same time or adding an organic sugar to the juice. Your tolerances to carbs beyond raw honey will vary, but in my experience the watery and citrus fruits that lack starch are the easiest to digest. Orange juice without pulp is a good option to try after raw honey. You can get 500-1000 calories from raw honey/day more than that may be a challenge which is why I suggest fruit juices or finding a fruit that you can tolerate. You need to eat a caloric surplus to change hormones and up regulate metabolism which cures leaky gut/candida so I think a minimum of 2500 calories is probably necessary to beat candida. I ate around 4500 calories/day for over a month when beating candida of which at least 3000 was from raw honey or fruit juice everyday.

Waitingindreams

Thank you for your detailed response. I have read many accounts that the candida diet does not work, but I have not really read anything negative against the SCD diet.

So, (to reiterate to make sure I am understanding clearly) you are saying you got rid of your candida by diet alone. No probiotics, or antifungals? No digestive enzymes, etc? Honey is actually allowed on the SCD diet, but I’m not too positive about raw honey. I have a severe pollen allergy (although it seems to have gotten loads better since going low histamine, I’m not sure I’m ready to dive into this just yet, lol) I would definitely have to be cautious when introducing raw honey. I could tolerate “processed” honey just fine, though.

And as for your diet, the fruit juice, starches (potatoes and white rice) and raw honey was all you ate? I don’t think I am comfortable eating a caloric content that high daily, could that be modified? As stated, I am not severely overweight apart from the bloating from my mid section, but I need to lose weight to keep my hernia in check. I can’t afford any weight gain. I gained a lot of weight when I became very sick near the diagnosis of my celiac disease, and it is finally settling down. Eating 4500 calories would be horrible! Lol. And what else could I eat? Would I have to give up my regular diet as it is now…grilled vegetables and chicken? Salad with ACV/olive oil? Would this have to be ALL that I eat, or could it be in addition to my current diet? I’ve never heard of anything like this.

And how are you doing now, are you back on a regular diet? My plan was to stay on a version of the SCD diet indefinitely, and then have a cheat day once a week (within reason) so that I could eat hummus, rice, etc again. How is your diet now? How bad was your candida when you started? Mine seems to just be the rash under the breast and under the arms, but I feel I must have it in my intestines as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can anyone please help/give me advice?’ is closed to new replies.