Bread addiction dilemma

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Bread addiction dilemma

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Hi all,

I haven’t been around in a while. How is everyone?

I have a bread addiction dilemma.

My diet has been the same for the past 4-5 months for the most part. Veggies, organic chicken or turkey, sardines, mackerel, tuna, occasional brown rice and brown lentils. That’s about it. Anyway, I also make coconut flour/flax seed bread using cream of tar tar, bicarbonate of soda, eggs, olive oil, water and sea salt. The problem is as soon as I start eating it in the evening I cannot stop. I literally go through one loaf every 24 hours and my loaves aren’t that small (they’re not huge but they’re not small).

So I’m not sure why this is happening – is it my craving of carbs? is it something in the bread that is making me eat more and more perhaps feeding the candida? i’m not like this with any other food!

So I’ve been thinking of cutting it out all together but that’s a pretty daunting prospect for me (more addiction signs I’m guessing hah!) particularly as I’m often out all day from 7 – 7 and need it for snacks. I do snack on portions of apple, small amounts of almonds and buckwheat crackers as well but I’m always hungry very soon after. the bread keeps me topped up.

Anyway any advice on this would be great because its really annoying me!

Hope you’re all ok.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would cut out the cream of tartar!

Here’s a basic link about the cream of tartar:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_bitartrate

and here’s a post about baking powder:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst751_Baking-Powder.aspx

The cream of tartar is basically a form of salt created during fermentation (typically), so it may be feeding the candida, which is causing you to crave the bread.

If the baking powder contains corn starch, that is another culprit potentially. Get a non-cornstarch derived baking powder if this is the case.

Katy Gillett

Hi Raster,

Thanks for that.

I was afraid as much. I was in denial hah! I can drop the cream of tartar but I haven’t been able to find corn starch free baking powder anywhere.

I remember Able saying once that he used baking powder with corn starch and wasn’t worried because the amounts were so minimal. Baking powder on its own gives the bread a pretty weird taste though. Perhaps I’m using too much. I’ll try with less next time and see if the cravings die down.

How’s your recovery going?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hi ya, Katy.

Great to hear from you again, and it sounds like your diet and cure are coming along perfectly. Glad to see you’re having no Candida reactions now. Way to go on that, apparently you’ve done a great job with the treatment.

I’ll tell you what I believe that “craving” is all about; I think whenever we’re able to add something that is NOT a vegetable to our diet, it has such a different taste and texture than those every-day vegetables that we’ve literally gorged ourselves on for months on end, that we’re just naturally going to crave the different and welcomed addition to our diet – anything different is certainly a lot better than those boring vegetables. I would imagine that anyone who has been on that vegetable diet for months would be the same when anything new is added to the diet. For example, since I added a Greek yogurt and coconut cream mixture, this has been my favorite food, and I swear, some days I could literally live on that concoction for every meal and snack. To keep this in control, I have a few rules that I make myself go by. One is that I still insist on having at least five to six servings of vegetables ever day, and I have at least two eggs (sometimes more), one or two servings of chicken or fish, and one to two servings of some type of dried beans depending on the servings of chicken or fish. I limit myself to no more than three servings of the yogurt and coconut cream mixture, but often, when I’m very busy I simply don’t have time to squeeze all three in. Of course, I’m also eating the coconut bread and apples among a few other items. So that seems to work for me.

No matter how long we do something, it seems to still be all about discipline and limits.

Keep in touch, Katy.
    Able

Katy Gillett

Hi Able.. I wouldn’t really say I’m having no candida reactions. Why do you think that?

This is the diet I’ve always been on and have always had coconut flour bread too so the texture isn’t too different for me.. I haven’t exactly been living off just vegetables as I’ve added meat back into my diet and have had weekly portions of brown rice and brown lentils. I just can’t seem to control myself with the bread. I have so much discipline in every other area of my life so this is why I find it so weird.

I took out the cream of tar tar and am now only using 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda which works quite well (in terms of texture and raising of the bread).

I’m thinking of adding some dried beans back into my diet in the hopes that its carbs I’m craving and this will stop me from reaching for a slice of bread every 5 minutes. What do you think? Or is it too soon as I’m still getting ill a lot of the time?

To be honest Able, I’m starting to despair a bit with this diet as I’m seeing no improvements and I’m on 10 tsps of coconut oil, 8 drops of oregano oil and 3 probiotics (150 billion) every day! It’s costing me a fortune that I don’t have and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.

Sorry for that little sob story… it’s probably just my mood but any advice you can offer as always will be much appreciated!

Hope you’re well. Katy.

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Katy.

I’m sorry I assumed incorrectly about your symptoms. I suppose my assumption came from the fact that we’ve heard from you less and less recently, and when that happens normally it’s because the person is seeing less symptoms and probably just doesn’t need to search out answers as often.

So it seems my assumption was really that you had begun the actual ‘cure’ part of the treatment. I’m sorry to see that I was wrong.

As far as why you still have the infestation to the degree that you do; I’ve been thinking about that since I read your post, and I remembered how long it took before you were actually ‘on the diet’ the way you should have been along. I’m sure you remember all the mistakes we found in the diet you were on. At any rate, you had a fairly bad case of Candida which you’d had for some time by the time we started the ‘real’ work on it, if I remember correctly. I’ve mentioned before, the longer you’ve had the infestation, the longer it will take for a cure.

I can only tell you what I would do if I were in your shoes, Katy. I don’t think you’re going to like some of this, but you know that I’m going to be honest with you.

1) I would remove the apple and small amounts of almonds you say you’re eating. Even a Granny Smith apple can feed the Candida – especially if you still have a large population of the fungi, and I’m convinced that all nuts contain a certain amount of mold which will only make the infestation worse.

2) I didn’t realize that you were still on a 50-billion count of the Ultimate Flora. This means you’re only receiving 10 different strains of beneficial bacteria. It’s important to move up to a higher count as well as a higher number of strains. If you change to a 80-billion count capsule, you’ll receive 14 different strains instead of just 10. After a few weeks on 2 capsules a day, I would move up to three if I were you, providing you’re not experiencing any die-off symptoms.

3) I remember one of the subjects we discussed was kefir, but I don’t remember you ever saying that you had decided to make your own. Did you decide to do this? If so, do you make it with the starter kits or the actual grains? Well fermented sauerkraut is another natural probiotic which is outstanding as a benficial bacteria supplier.

4) Feeding the beneficial bacteria is just as important as obtaining it in the first place. Foods that feed the bacteria are asparagus, garlic, onions, Jerusalem Artichokes, chicory root, brown rice bran four, broccoli, asparagus, avocados, and leeks.

Considering the long term effect, the more you feed the bacteria that are already in your system the better your flora will be. The reason I say this is because there are literally thousands of different beneficial strains of human flora. The cultured foods and probiotic supplements we take will never be able to replace all of these different strains. So the strains that are already there inhabiting the body still need to be fed in order to keep the numbers up.

You’re simply going to have to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in your system one way or another, as I’ve stated before, this will be your ultimate cure; the antifungals will only help to shorten the length of the treatment, and the diet will do the same by limiting their food supply, but neither the diet nor the antifungals will ever cure your infestation alone.

FYI: If you use half and half rice bran flour and coconut flour for your bread, it’ll be much better for you as far as the flora are concerned, and you shouldn’t feel as guilty about eating it since you’ll be feeding the bacteria at the same time.

5) Considering the length of time you’ve been on the diet, you could easily be taking 16 teaspoons of coconut oil and at least 14 drops of oil of oregano (it seems I remember Diane ending up with about 18 drops a day). I would work my way up to these amounts.

6) I would remove all red meat and concentrate on organic eggs for the most part, plus occasionally a chicken breast or very young fish such as herring (sardines).

A few questions if you don’t mind:

Are you using Himalayan sea salt?

What agent are you using to brush your teeth?

Are you on any type of medicines or other supplements? (please list if you are)

Thanks, Able

Katy Gillett

Hi Able,

I appreciate your great post. I am happy to rearrange my diet accordingly etc. but my problem is I literally cannot afford to buy the 80 billion count probiotic, let alone buy enough to take 3 a day. I’ve had to cut back on my 50 billion count too. I know this is not ideal at all but this won’t be a permanent problem. But what can I do in the mean time?

Also I have no idea where to get the kefir in England from so I haven’t been taking that. Nor have I been taking greek yoghurt as I cut it out in case it was causing a problem.

I have actually been making coconut flour/rice bran flour/ flax seed bread quite often too. I was a bit concerned because my packet only says ‘rice bran flour’ with no mention of brown. It is brown in colour though. Am I ok with that? (the link to the one I have – http://www.generaldietary.com/products/info_baking/pure_rice_bran.html)

No problem with the red meat as I don’t eat it anyway.

To answer your questions:

1. I haven’t started using Himalayan sea salt yet but I have it and will start now. I’ve been using Maldon sea salt flakes.

2. I have been using Sarakan to brush my teeth (http://www.sarakan.co.uk/?gclid=COmc2Zil26sCFYUOfAodGnF-OQ)

3. I am taking 60mg of COQ10 enzyme a day
    1 capsule of cod liver oil (it has sunflower lecithin in it – would this be a problem?) which includes 800mcg of vit A, 5mcg of vit D, 10mg of vit E, 276 mg of cod liver oil, 274 of fish body oil providing 155 mg of omega 3, 72 mg of EPA and 57 mg of DHA
    800mg of folic acid
    14mg of iron
    calcium (200mg)/magnesium (75mg)/zinc (3.75mg)/vit d (1.25mcg) tablet 4 times a day
    and 2 – 3 drops (200mcg per drop) of molybdenum

Just to show you in terms of food what I’m doing:

Every day I eat a 2-organic egg omlette with onions and spinach for breakfast
    Then I eat a salad (green leaves, celery, cucumber, red cabbage, mixed seeds, spring onion) with sardines for lunch (and occasionally – perhaps once a week either mackerel or tuna). I get the fish from a can.
    After this sometimes I eat buckwheat crispbread, a bit of bread, almonds (which I will remove), or a portion of apple (again will remove). I snack on these a couple of times before dinner.
    For dinner I will either have: turkey or chicken (roasted), swede or celeriac mash with cabbage and onions or leeks, asparagus, brocolli, green beans. Sometimes I add roast swede as well.
    OR
    minced turkey or brown lentil coconut curry with brocolli, green beans, spinach, swede, onions and garlic. Sometimes with a bit of brown rice (about 3-4 tablespoons) or with the bread.
    OR
    vegetable stir fry (red cabbage, green beans, asparagus, brocolli, seeds) with buckwheat noodles, oils (sunflower, sesame, ginger and garlic) and braggs liquid aminos.

That’s when I start eating the bread and literally eat it until I go to bed and I’m not even hungry!

So that is literally all I eat at the moment with no variations. Perhaps this is the problem!? Maybe I should mix it up a bit?

I hope this is informative enough :). Thanks again for the help.

Oh and I haven’t been on much cos I’ve started a masters degree and work in my spare time :). Busy busy!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Katy,

I hate to butt in on this thread, but you may want to consider switching to undeceonic acid (SF722) as an alternative to coconut oil. Dr. Mccoombs mentioned that caprylic acid (coconut oil) is only effective for 6-8 weeks and at that point it isn’t nearly as effective. Undeceonic acid is effective for a much longer time and is stronger.

Another probiotic you can consider taking is HMF neuro , but it only has an 8 billion count. Maybe save this for phase 2? Just a thought…

Here’s dr. mcoombs radio shows:
    http://www.mccombsplan.com/new/media_center/index.php

His information is good, but I don’t trust his plan…so don’t get sold on it!

On a side note: Is curry considered too spicy for the candida diet? I don’t eat curry, but it seems to contain some hot spices that may or may not be allowed. Just wondering.

Keep it up Katy!

Able900
    Spectator

Katy Gillett wrote: Oh and I haven’t been on much cos I’ve started a masters degree and work in my spare time :

Katy, congratulations on this, and I’m glad to hear it. Journalism?

I’m sorry I didn’t originally understand your major problem with taking the supplements, but this explains why your treatment hasn’t progressed as I expected it to. I was really stumped when I read your previous post, but as I said, this last post was a perfect explanation for the stall.

As far as your vitamin and mineral supplements are concerned; in the states our supplements are gauged by mg and mcg as well as IU, U, or Units. The A and D are measured in Units, so I really have no way of knowing how many units equal your mcg’s for these two.
    As for the vitamin D, I would most definitely change it to D3 instead of regular D. You can take 5000 to 10,000 IU (International Units) if possible, although you may be receiving that already as far as I know. There are several research studies which suggest a vitamin D deficiency connected with Candida. The main reason for this is because most patients suffering from Candida albicans infestations who were tested exhibited a deficiency of vitamin D.

Concerning your “calcium (200mg) magnesium (75mg) zinc (3.75mg)” these would be quite low in the states. Our daily value or MDR here for those are calcium 1000 mg, magnesium 400 mg, and zinc around 15-20 mg.

A less expensive and excellent antifungal to add to your diet are rutabagas if they’re available in the UK. As I’ve written before, they are one of the most powerful natural antifungals on the market.

You might want to read the following posts as it addresses the problems of a woman who is experiencing financial problems at the moment and also trying to cure her infestation.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm4238_On-day-3-of-my-first-candida-cleanse-and-having-lots-of-stomach-pain-Help.aspx#post4238

Able

Katy Gillett

Hi Able,

I’m sorry I haven’t replied in so long. I was supposed to get an email alert when you posted on here and it never came through so I stupidly assumed you hadn’t. I should have known better eh?!

Yes it is journalism.. thanks for that :).

With the calcium/zinc/magnesium/vit d supplement – the measurements were per pill and I take 4 a day. Is that still too little?

I will get the Vitamin D3 asap then. You think this is what’s holding me up?

I eat rutabaga (swede over here) at least 3 or 4 times a week – roasted and mashed with cabbage and onions or leek.

What did you think of the rest of my diet Able? Am I doing ok or could I be doing better?
    I’ve still got the bread addiction problem which is getting me down a bit… it really is delicious though!

I’m going to search around for the kefir now.

But also – you didn’t say what I could be doing about the probiotics? I got some more 50bn and am struggling to even take 2 a day at the moment but I’ll start getting up in the middle of the night. I can’t afford to take 3 a day though. If I take 100bn a day and manage to get the kefir plus all the beneficial bacteria from my diet – will that be enough do you think?

Hope you’re well and having a great weekend!

Able900
    Spectator

Hi, Katy. Replies to your inquiries are below.

“With the calcium/zinc/magnesium/vit d supplement – the measurements were per pill and I take 4 a day. Is that still too little?”

Reply: Katy, that’s only 300 mg of calcium as opposed to the MDR of 1000 mg. Just continue taking as you are, and when you’ve taken the container, you could try finding some higher count pills.

“I will get the Vitamin D3 asap then. You think this is what’s holding me up?”

Reply: That could be one of the holdups along with the lack of enough probiotics.

“What did you think of the rest of my diet Able? Am I doing ok or could I be doing better? I’ve still got the bread addiction problem which is getting me down a bit… it really is delicious though! “

Reply: I think your diet is ok with the few changes I suggested. Katy, as long as you’re not gaining more weight than you want to, I wouldn’t worry about the bread.
    “I’m going to search around for the kefir now.”

Reply: About the kefir, Johnny21 submitted a post today about his yogurt. He’s from India and Greek yogurt isn’t available in his area, so he makes his own, and it’s a very simple ‘recipe’- not even a recipe really because it’s so simple. I suggest you try this, not only will it be better than commercially purchased kefir or yogurt, but it’ll be less expensive as well. Here is the link, scroll all the way down to today’s date:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm4376_YoghurtsHow-much-can-I-have.aspx#post4376

“But also – you didn’t say what I could be doing about the probiotics? I got some more 50bn and am struggling to even take 2 a day at the moment but I’ll start getting up in the middle of the night. I can’t afford to take 3 a day though. If I take 100bn a day and manage to get the kefir plus all the beneficial bacteria from my diet – will that be enough do you think?”

Reply: I think if you add a good and natural kefir and the yogurt I suggested above, this will help sufficiently. However, I do suggest that you change brands of probiotics every few months. Different brands contain different strains, and you need as many different types as possible. Another good one is MegaFlora by MegaFood which contains 14 strains. This one has a lower count than the other one, but it’ll be fine if you start with one capsule and work up to at least two, three if you can manage. The simple fact that it’s different will be beneficial for a while. If you can’t find this one, try to find another one with lots of strains.

Able

Katy Gillett

Hi Able,

Thanks for that.

Actually that means I’m taking 800mg of calcium a day as there is 200mg in each pill and I take 4 a day. I could take 5 to make it 1000mg though.

Haha I’m always gaining more weight than I want to with this, particularly as I’ve been lazy with exercise but I’m not actually overweight or anything so I’m trying to not be so hard on myself.

I’m really not sure about the Greek yoghurt. I used to have it all the time and I was so dizzy. I stopped eating it and I wasn’t so dizzy anymore. I started again and the dizziness came right back. I stopped and it stopped. Not completely but it seemed to be really bad when I was eating the yoghurt. I don’t know if any of this is a coincidence and I can always do another experiment. But have you heard anything like this before Able? Or any ideas of why that might be?

I’ll have a look for some kefir grains.

I checked out MegaFlora by MegaFood and its quite a bit cheaper than the probiotic I’m currently on and it comes with 90 capsules. As its a lot lower in count could I possibly try and get up to 4 or 5 pills a day? I might do 2 bottles of that followed by 1 of the UltimateFlora. What do you think?

Oh and I read your post on grape digestive bitters. If you remember I had a bad reaction to it as well. I’ve been taking the Candidate every now and then and its not so bad but I haven’t been brave enough to try taking the bitters again. Do you think by any chance that could be holding up my recovery too?

Hope you’re well!

Best wishes, Katy

Katy Gillett

Further to my previous post here Able.. I’ve found a reasonably priced kefir starter kit available for shipping within the UK. Just wanted your thoughts on it first :). Here’s the link: http://www.virgincoconutoil.co.uk/kefir_a_natural_probiotic.htm

Katy Gillett

Hi again.. sorry this is my 3rd post but I just had a thought.. is it possible to make the kefir using a non dairy milk? I’m just a bit wary of dairy (I’m a poet ;)).

Able900
    Spectator

Hi, Katy.

The kefir you’re considering looks fine to me. And yes, you can make kefir with other types of milk; goat’s milk, coconut milk, or almond milk.

As far as two bottles of MegaFlora followed by one of the Ultimate Flora are concerned, I think I would take at least 3 of the MegaFlora instead. Even though it’s lower in count, it’s just as good because it’s a change plus it contains Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. Four or five pills a day would be perfect.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1108_Lactobacillus-acidophilus-DDS1.aspx

You wrote, “I’m really not sure about the Greek yoghurt. I used to have it all the time and I was so dizzy. I stopped eating it and I wasn’t so dizzy anymore. I started again and the dizziness came right back. I stopped and it stopped. Not completely but it seemed to be really bad when I was eating the yoghurt. I don’t know if any of this is a coincidence and I can always do another experiment. But have you heard anything like this before Able? Or any ideas of why that might be?”

There are two reasons that I can think of that this might happen; One, it could possibly be some type of rare reaction to an allergy you’ve contracted along the course of your infestation.
    Or two, it could be a die-off symptom, not likely that Greek yogurt would cause that much of a response, but I suppose it’s possible. If I were you, I’d be tempted to try it again but take Molybdenum beforehand and see what happens.

About the Grape Bitters and Candidate holding up your recovery; geez I don’t know Katy, like I’ve said before, I took them both completely through my entire treatment and still reached a cure in what I consider record time. I’m still taking the Grape Bitters in fact. Of course you could try the Swedish Bitters, but look for the glycerin based instead of alcohol or ethanol.

Have a great week.
    Able

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bread addiction dilemma’ is closed to new replies.