body breaking down when working out

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions body breaking down when working out

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Latka 7 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

nulez
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 2

This has been a problem for me, that I haven’t really heard a lot of people talk about.

I’ve heard working out is good if you got candida, but I find my body getting exhausted very easily and my vais starts hurting and I just feel like I need to sit down and have something to eat right away to regain my energy.

I’m not sure if this is just because I’m on a very low carb diet? or if this is normal when you’re on detoxing supplements? I feel like I can handle a bit more carbs whenever this happens, that my body needs it. But if I eat more carbs otherwise I get big reactions.

I watched a youtube video yesterday of a practitioner who says that working out is inflammatory and it will break the body down, so and you have to eat right when you do it. witch I’m not sure what would work with candida. But he’s talking about carbs + protein. It’s a bit difficult to understand everything, but it’s very interesting!
    (you dont have to watch this to reply but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsGE5Mlhv9M&feature=g-u-u)

I’d love to hear peoples opinions and experiences. Should I slow down, or should I eat differently? Would it have a benefit to do less supplements and more working out? or am I better off without working out? It makes me sad because I’m still young and want to be active..

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

nulez wrote: This has been a problem for me, that I haven’t really heard a lot of people talk about.

I’ve heard working out is good if you got candida, but I find my body getting exhausted very easily and my vais starts hurting and I just feel like I need to sit down and have something to eat right away to regain my energy.

I’m not sure if this is just because I’m on a very low carb diet? or if this is normal when you’re on detoxing supplements? I feel like I can handle a bit more carbs whenever this happens, that my body needs it. But if I eat more carbs otherwise I get big reactions.

I watched a youtube video yesterday of a practitioner who says that working out is inflammatory and it will break the body down, so and you have to eat right when you do it. witch I’m not sure what would work with candida. But he’s talking about carbs + protein. It’s a bit difficult to understand everything, but it’s very interesting!
    (you dont have to watch this to reply but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsGE5Mlhv9M&feature=g-u-u)

I’d love to hear peoples opinions and experiences. Should I slow down, or should I eat differently? Would it have a benefit to do less supplements and more working out? or am I better off without working out? It makes me sad because I’m still young and want to be active..

In the early stages during heavy die off I would consider stopping any hard exercise, I did (for about 2 months) & I work as a trainer.

The benefits of doing it are due to sweating out toxins, you can do this having sauna’s or epsom salt baths.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Some athletes can adapt to performing in ketosis after a long time (years), but the more general trend is that a mix of VLC diet and exercise destroys people’s metabolism. Many end up putting on weight with hypothyroid symptoms. Your muscles need glycogen for workouts and without carbs, your body has to break down protein and fats to make glucose. Some people, especially those with liver trouble, have a limited capacity to do this and end up with a glucose deficiency. This can cause mucus deficiency, which can lead to constipation and dry eyes. Extracellular immunity also requires glucose. The glucose conversion process (GNG) also involves stress hormones, so anxiety and sleep irregularities are other common symptoms.

Working out can be good for improving health, but if you’ve busted your metabolism, you’ll need to stop until you resolve that. Otherwise keeping glycogen stores topped up will avoid the burnout you’re experiencing, as well as any potential for the symptoms I mentioned. It is a good idea to eat after a workout, but protein is another option. It’s not surprising you get flare ups with carbs, because avoiding them creates insulin resistance and ruins your glucose handling. Your blood sugar probably sky rockets, especially if you don’t blunt the GI with fat, which will make candida happy. It’s a good idea to get a good amount of rest to begin with though.

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

nulez wrote: This has been a problem for me, that I haven’t really heard a lot of people talk about.

Hi mate,
    there are no straight answers. But I am sure you know already the answer when you listen to your body. That is the key, that you have to learn to listen what is good for you. The trouble is that we are acting all the time from concepts like we would be machines. Even the MDs do that. They all treat us the same. But in reality we are very complex living cultures. Did you know that you have more Bacteria in your body than your on cells and that your bacteria culture is not like any other on this planet?

Slow down, give your body time. Ask yourself why you do workout. Is it for health or for looks?

Maybe you do a soft and light workout and see if it makes you feel good then keep at that for a while until you gain strength for more. But listen to your body.

I like to go to the sauna but I hardly can sit in it for a longer time. Its strange everyone is sitting there looking like red lobsters and manage it but I have to do several short ones to feel great.
    I listen to my body.

all the best
    Thomas

Hilary
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 25

Javizy
    How do you resolve the metabolism problem while on this diet? I have gained weight steadily over the last two months and I’m eating completely clean with no cheats (unless it was a mistake in the beginning)! Everyone else I know that’s doing this is losing and I’m gaining and 95% of what I’ve been eating the last 8 weeks is raw veggies and lettuce. I have 1/2-1 avacodoes a day and eggs and egg plant for protein.

What can I do?

Thanks,
    Hil

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Hilary wrote: How do you resolve the metabolism problem while on this diet? I have gained weight steadily over the last two months and I’m eating completely clean with no cheats (unless it was a mistake in the beginning)! Everyone else I know that’s doing this is losing and I’m gaining and 95% of what I’ve been eating the last 8 weeks is raw veggies and lettuce. I have 1/2-1 avacodoes a day and eggs and egg plant for protein.

That’s the problem. If you eat prison camp food, your body goes into prison camp mode. It doesn’t sound like you’re getting a lot of calories, so at least hitting the 1800-2000 GDA would be a start. Then you need some carbs like I was saying in the other thread. They help support thyroid function. Non-starchy vegetables aren’t a good source because you can’t guarantee they won’t be munched by gut bacteria.

If you want to check what’s going on, you should start by checking your basal temperature each morning. If it’s low, then your thyroid is probably struggling. You can also buy something called ketostix to see if you’re in ketosis. All but the biggest carb-bingers drop into ketosis while sleeping, but if you eat over 50g/day of carbs, the test should come up negative during the day. Weird smelling pee and bad breath are other signs (think Atkins dieters).

Hilary
    Replies: 25

Will the coconut bread and crackers qualify as appropriate carbs for this purpose? Do you have any other suggestions that are legal for this diet?

Latka
    Replies: 128

Hi Nulez!

Yes I’ve had that experience too; Seemed like I was just destroying muscle the more I trained, and at some point I got so weak I had trouble just walking. My legs were shaking uncontrollably after having walked for 5 minutes. I also got chronically constipated which does not help overcoming Candida. And very dry eyes and lips too. I had no idea why, but I guess now, having read Javizy’s answer, I know…

The video is interesting. I’ve listened to this guy before as he bases a lot on Ray Peat who’s researching cellular metabolism (and this is particularly interesting for some one like me with hypothyroidism). It does make sense that if we work out and therefore demand more from the body, then we should also give it more food to cope with this strain. Not expect more from it while giving it less. Getting enough calories/fuel on Candida diet is alreday difficult. I actually decided to stop exercising while on this strict diet, simply because I know I will have to conserve my energy or else I will just destroy myself. It actually upsets me when people offer “exercise more, eat less” as one size fits all remedy to everything. It is very individual what a person needs to heal and feel better. While for a healthy person working out might be just the thing to pick them up, for someone with an illness it may simply be too demanding for their body and the result is counterproductive. Candida diet and protocoll is tough and you will need to support and nourish your body while on it.

Besides, if you take a break from working out now does not mean you will never do it again. Once you are better you’ll get back into it. This condition does not have to define you or determine your future.
    Or maybe you simply need to modify how you work out? Shorter, less intense or simply do something else, take walks for example. I do believe some movement is helpful as long as it is not too strenuous.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘body breaking down when working out’ is closed to new replies.