bloating ?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

alea
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 2

Hello, I have been on the diet for around 2 and half months now. I rotate antifungals, take a high strain of probiotics and i am fairly fit (doing yoga and pilates everyday and my job is a dogwalker). I am 27, 5.2″ and weigh 107lbs. So I can’t understand why I am still getting hugely bloated?

I wake up with a fairly flat stomach (not quite a 6 pack yet 😉 ) and as the day progresses – no matter what I eat – my belly grows, to the point where after my evening meal I look like I am in month 7 of pregnancy. I don’t think it is a reaction to anything I’ve eaten, as the other day, in an emergency I had to eat some sundried tomatoes that had some vinegar in the oil – and I really knew about it !! I go to the toilet regular and I never drink before or after meals.

Here is a 2 day example of my diet:

millet flakes, coconut milk, coconut oil, stevia, cinnamon, linseeds.
    buckwheat crispbread with avocado, pepper, lemon.
    eggs, spinach, red onion, raw garlic, tomatoes, cayenne pepper, turmeric, a pinch of salt/pepper/seaweed/fennel seeds.
    fish, green beans, broccoli, salt, paprika.
    goats yoghurt cinnamon and ginger syrup that i’ve made from ginger and stevia.

eggs, courgette, red pepper, raw garlic, turmeric, cayenne…(as above)
    roasted swede (the closest thing i’ve found to a chip !!)fennel and cabbage, salt and pepper
    coconut milk, quinoa, aubergine, pak choi, turmeric, ginger, garlic, chilli flakes.
    oatbran slice – oatbran, rice or almond milk, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, linseeds, psyllium, ginger syrup, coconut oil, nutmeg.

If using any oils I have – ghee, olive oil, coconut oil, goats butter.

I drink peppermint, lemon ginger, redbush teas, and a version of ‘chai’ that I make – just water, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, stevia or xylitol.

As far as I’m aware, I’m not doing too much wrong? So what could be causing this?? Could it be water retention? If anything I think my belly is getting bigger as the diet goes on.
    Sorry for the long post! Any help would be really appreciated. x

monita
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 28

Hi Alea,

I am far from a Candida expert as I have only been on the diet a month and am still reading and learning from the posts of others here.

From what I have read from other posters on the forum though it sounds as though you are reacting to the grains, nuts and seeds in your diet. Raster told me the other day that I shouldn’t move on to stage 2 of the diet (adding foods other than veg, eggs, white meat and fish and coconut bread etc) until I had been completely clear of symptoms and die-off for “multiple weeks”.

You may have gone through this stage well already and have since added the other elements to your diet. Did you do this very gradually with each seperate new food and wait to see if you had a reaction? I do know that nuts, seeds and any grain (including millet and quinoa) could be feeding candida if you still have some there. Able told me that although Buckwheat is not stricly a grain, it would be best to leave this out for a few weeks-a month before introducing it.

It may be best to go back to the simple diet for a few weeks to see if that makes a difference. Then you could slowly add things back in.

I’m not sure what others would say. Maybe some of the ‘experts’ will have further and fuller advice.

The best of luck though!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Alea.

First I can say that bloating is a normal experience with any Candida infestation, you may say it’s a symptom as it’s named as one on many of the Candida-symptoms lists.

The reason for this is simple: The Candida albicans will ferment even a small amount of food if they can eat it; this fermentation causes the production of carbon dioxide which of course will cause bloating, sometimes pain, and flatulence. The C. albicans also expel various gases, including alcohol, and you can imagine what this can do to the stomach and intestines.

A few suggestions you could try are:

1) Sometimes Stevia will cause bloating as a rare side effect, you might try leaving it out of your diet completely for a few weeks to see the difference. By the way, what are the ingredients in the Stevia, you’d be surprised as far as what some of the brands contain. I really don’t expect this to be the full source of the problem, but it may help a bit.

2) Researchers, in their many numbers, refer to millet as a seed, grain, or a grain seed. With the possibility of it being part of a grain and therefore actually being capable of feeding the Candida, I would try leaving it out of your diet for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference.

3) Monita was correct about the seeds and grains, and you’re probably not going to like this suggestion, but I would also remove the rice or almond milk, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, linseeds, and psyllium. All of these have the potential of aggravating your symptoms which include bloating.

4) If you’re not already taking them, try some bitter herbs such as alcohol-free Swedish Bitters. Find the type that uses glycerin for extracting the herbs in place of alcohol or ethanol.
    Bitters stimulate the flow of digestive juices from the exocrine glands of the mouth, stomach, pancreas, duodenum, and liver, aiding in digestion as well as helping a range of conditions caused by inefficient or allergy-distorted digestion.
    A range of liver activities are also stimulated, including increased bile production and the release of bile from the gallbladder, again, helping with digestion.
    This is a recent post with more information: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1111_Digestive-Bitters.aspx

5) This one is probably going to sound strange, but ginger is an antacid, and research actually shows that bloating, flatulence, etc. is usually caused by a lack of acid instead of too much. So I would remove ginger for a few weeks along with the other items I’ve mentioned.

6) I would add Betaine HCL to your regimen. http://www.cocoonnutrition.org/catalog/page_betainehcl.php

Please keep us posted as to your treatment.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I ate sunflower seeds with my diet during the whole time. I eventually experienced a reaction to them 4 months into the diet. Any seed adds a ton of fungal to your body and even though you can’t notice it, it definitely sets you back. Once I stopped the sunflower seeds, I noticed a big improvement!

I have been without the almonds and almond butter the whole diet and I am now adding them in 4 months into the diet; I was unable to handle them before but now I can. Save it for a later point in the diet/recovery process if possible.

alea

Thank you for the replies and sorry for the delay in response.
    I shouldn’t have read my emails before bed last night, after a long day when I was tired. Not to sound really pathetic, but I just wanted to cry on my insides when I read the replies. I had this overwhelming feeling of….I don’t know….being fed up about the whole thing. I wasn’t angry at you guys telling me what’s right, it just made me feel really fed up. I thought it would be best not to reply – who know’s the rant I would have had !

But today is a new day.

I’m not expecting overnight miracles, but today I have taken out what you said, so I ate breakfast – eggs with turmeric. lunch – broccoli, tomato, raw garlic. and oatbran baked with a little ghee, with coconut oil on. (and i am going to have eggs and spinach, onion and garlic for tea, running out of food in the house!) and, as normal, i woke up with a flat stomach, and as the day has gone on, it has slowly grown.

The reason I didn’t realise I was making mistakes over the past 2 months was because I never had what I would describe as a reaction to anything. when I have something bad (like the oil with vinegar in) then I can feel a reaction. Whereas, my belly just slowly grows, no matter what. And has done since I can remember, maybe 15 years old or something. So even after a peppermint tea, 1 hour brake, then eggs and veg for breakfast – already my tummy has grown.

But, like I said, I have taken out the things you mentioned, and I will buy some Swedish Bitters.

And I just read on another post that all tea is bad. Which has really put me on a downer. All I drink are herbal teas. do you think I should try a week with water and lemon and see what that does? – I know I’m not going to like the answer!

I’ll give you an update in a few weeks… if I survive that long….

Thanks.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Even though teas contain fungals/molds, it is definitely better than coffee. Typically during the die-off period you are rather tired and sluggish, so its definitely something that’ll help you perk up.

That being said, it will lightly set you back in the recovering; it will only prolong the process, but by how much? Its hard to say; for me, if I didn’t drink tea the whole diet it probably would’ve made the difference of something like 1-2 weeks after doing the diet for 4 months. This is just my guesstimate and is not scientific.

Organic teas definitely have less fungals/molds than regular non-organic teas. I have had maybe 4-5 brands of tea and they all contain molds. I found a brand that has less mold/fungi when compared to the others…I like it a ton! Its called “organic india tulsi holy basil green tea.” Virtually no reaction to it for me.

Keep in mind caffeine is the other main bad thing in teas. Caffeine leaches out vitamins/nutrients from your body that you need to recover. How much? Its hard to say; but it won’t set you back too much.

All in all I wouldn’t worry about it too much; just restart the diet and it’ll work for you in time. It takes quite a long time to recover from candida, maybe as long as 6-18 months for some people. I also made some mistakes doing the diet; no one is perfect and its a very tough diet for some to adjust to.

On a side note: You don’t have to be completely strict with every meal every day over the diet due to how long it takes to recover. The key is moderation of the bad foods, eating some of them very sparingly. For instance, a little bit of fruit here and there isn’t the end of the world; same goes for other some other items.

alea

non of my teas have caffeine. I mostly have peppermint, dandelion, redbush, lemon and ginger (but now i’m cutting out ginger) and I make my own chai with cardamon,nutmeg,cinnamon,cloves – i think all those things are good right?

tulsi is great – it is very well renowned in India for being beneficial.

In some ways I have to be careful about being too strict I think, because I don’t always have control over what I eat. for example, next year I will be working in Kyrgyzstan, living with a local family, where I will eat whatever is being offered to me. So I am frightened of being really strict and then in effect bingeing. Although, I have to say this isn’t an excuse for my mistakes so far!

Also, I don’t think I am reacting to stevia as I didnt’ use it for the first around 6 weeks of the diet – and I saw no difference between having it and not – and sometimes I go for days without having it.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

alea wrote: non of my teas have caffeine.

No caffeine is a big plus. I wouldn’t drink so many different types of tea, but stick to one or two beneficial ones. Organic Nettle Leaf Tea is an adaptogen which is known to increase our resistance to anxiety, stress, trauma, and fatigue. This is always helpful during any illness, especially a Candida albicans infestation.

You’re right; tulsi is a great herb, and the tea as long as it’s organic, which cuts down on the chances of it containing a fungus. It’s also an adaptogen, plus it’s known for being an immunity booster.

Able

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘bloating ?’ is closed to new replies.