BLOATED all the time

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions BLOATED all the time

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  koscherness 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

helpwithbloating
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Hi everyone,

I’ve been having symptoms for a year. I stopped oral BC in January and in early August, I started experiencing symptoms. I missed my cycle for 2 weeks (which was very weird b/c I’m always regular). Then I didn’t go to the bathroom for around ~5 days and I held in my stool at a conference. A few hours later, I became extremely bloated. I thought it would go away but it never did. My sex drive decreased and I started experiencing vaginal dryness (also something new). My doctors thought I was constipated so I tried every laxative OTC and prescription but nothing worked. This past Jan., I got colitis and had to fast/not even drink water for 7 days. Most of my bloating disappeared. A month later, it came back after eating a large salad. I then got a pelvic ultrasound, abdominal ultrasound, colonoscopy, endoscopy, SIBO breath test (hydrogen/methane) – everything came back normal. They put me on antibiotics for SIBO anyway, which did nothing. Then my doctor noticed my TSH levels were low, indicating hyperthyroidism so I went to get it checked out. Turns out my T4 and T3 were really low, and they said I was hypo. I started 25mg of levothyroxine which did nothing. I then tried 30mg of Armour to take a natural route and it did nothing. I tried 4 weeks of the FODMAP and nothing improved – I was just hungry all the time. Really my biggest symptom is that I’m bloated ALL the time. 24/7. I can’t tell when I’m hungry or full. I tried colonhydrotherapy and the doctor said that I had a lot of yeast. I also tried taking Betaline HCL, digestive enzymes, beano, gasX, probiotics, S. Boullardi. Does this sound like candida? It’s been depressing that nothing is working. I’m also confused because I don’t have any other stomach symptoms (e.g. constipation, abdominal gas, abdominal pain), just bloating. I also am very tired often, have been gaining weight, and my face is swollen. I also crave sugar often, which is strange because I was never like this. If anyone has any advice on what this might be, please help!! My doctors are stumped too.

helpwithbloating
    Participant

Does anyone have any advice? It’s been depressing since it’s been over a year. It’s really messed with my confidence and I just want to get better.

Patch
    Participant
    Topics: 0

I actually just made an account for this since I know this feeling. I had a similar feeling as you February 2014. I had actually gotten sick a month prior and took antibiotics then at the end of February my stomach began bloating and staying bloated, only in my case I had an irritated throat that came along with it. I went to several doctors and had a whole list of tests just like you did and doctors couldn’t figure it out. I suffered with this constant bloat for about 6 months before I took matters into my own hands. I began doing a bunch of different diets, gluten free first, keto, paleo, then I tried this diet that is mostly fruit based and that made the bloat even worse. Eventually, it was around November 2014 that I discovered this website and everything about candida and the overgrowth. I wasted no time and got myself onto the protocol because I was convinced I found the answer. And I was right, I followed the protocol for 6 months and got my health back. The bloat and sore throat was completely gone by the end of it. It was quite a commitment though, a commitment that I’m currently doing once again.

My bloat/sore throat returned 2 months ago after over 3 years of what felt to me like perfect health. My downfall being that I ate anything and everything like most people do and was rebuilding my overgrowth over the past 3 years without realizing it and now I’m back to where I was. It’s interesting how you can feel fine one day and then it hits you all at once the next, same thing happened to me the first time too. I also have proof this time, I got a test called an organic acid test, the test results show that I have a candida overgrowth. This time around I will take better care of myself after I beat this a second time in order to prevent a third.

Basically, my point of all of this is that a big yes, bloating that doesn’t go away can definitely be a symptom of candida overgrowth and with your history of birth control (which I have a history with as well) and antibiotics, I definitely think there is a good chance you could have an overgrowth. Honestly, I’d just give the protocol a try. The first time I did this I didn’t have proof I had an overgrowth but I decided to take on the protocol anyway because worst case it doesn’t work and best case it does and for me it was well worth it. I think you should give it a shot.

helpwithbloating
    Participant

Thank you so much for your response. When did the bloating start to go away? Would you mind sharing me what your protocol was (diet/food, anti-fungals, probiotics)? It seems like people follow different protocols and so I’m trying to figure out what works (e.g. can I eat sweet potatoes). I also feel very famished without carbs so I’m trying to figure out a way to have energy but also keep the candida under control

Patch
    Participant

Well, always remember everyone is different but for me the bloating started going down at around 6 weeks, I see many who seem to feel some relief from their symptoms sooner and sometimes later. It really varies.

Also, the diet may vary for some people. Like the last time I did this I could have coconut bread and this time I can’t tolerate it but I can tolerate buckwheat instead. (https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/coconut-flour-bread-29/ I use Able’s Coconut/oat bran recipe at the bottom, and go 1 1/4 cup flour and 3/4 cup oat bran, I’ve had to sub buckwheat instead of coconut flour and it’s still good!) In general, my routine is either a combination of oat bran/buckwheat groat porridge or an egg and veggie omelette for breakfast, the coconut/buckwheat bread for snack if I had eggs or veggie snack if I had porridge, both lunch and dinner would be vegetables either cooked or in salad form and protein which would either be chicken/fish/eggs depending on my mood, if it’s salad I add hemp seeds if I have no salad I still usually have hemp seeds as a snack. For vegetables, they can be anything on the list. I followed raster’s list here https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forums/topic/rasters-safe-food-list-3/ starting on stage 1 and not moving onto stage 2 until symptoms were gone. As for carbs my carbs always came from the bread I made and rutabaga. I had/have rutabaga every single day.

I never took probiotic pills so I can’t really speak for that. What I did for probiotics was snack on lots of organic sauerkraut and I also drank a glass of homemade milk kefir every day.

And antifungals, I started those 2 weeks after being on the diet and I use oregano oil supplements and something called candidate. Also, for protecting the liver I use milk thistle.

I don’t think sweet potatoes are a good idea on the candida diet, I think rutabaga would probably be the best substitute! The bread will help with carbs as well.

koscherness
    Participant
    Replies: 1

I also just made an account to reply to this thread. I have been seeing a functional medicine doctor and she suggested the GI Map test. I did that and my results showed I had Gut Dysbiosis with too much Candida spp. and Candida albicans. I also have Blastocystis hominis. I am currently on the Candida diet, but I’m just taking out the fruit part and making it a ketogenic diet since I may as well reap the benefits of it too. My functional medicine doctor is also having me take particular probiotic strains and an anti-fungal. I do not have the names of these on hand right now though. I hope you are doing better and that this has worked for you all like I hope it will work for me. If you have any tips, please share!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.