Betaine HCl causing gas/flatulence?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Betaine HCl causing gas/flatulence?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TheXtremisT 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

Started the diet May 2013, and have been taking Betaine HCl with Pepsin with meals.

I never experimented with doseage, just guessing by having bigger meals and more capsules.
    My digestion has improved, but I still got bloating at the end of the day – so stomach was slow to clear contents. I also take swedish bitters 5-10 mins before meals. Eventually I had less gas, occasional reflux and belching. So not too bad.

I switched from capsules (1 to 2 of 100mg HCl + 80mg pepsin) to tablets in May 2014 (3 of 50mg HCl + 325mg Pepsin).

Since mid June I’ve had more flatulence, sometimes discomfort/cramps. I have also stopped my LAB probiotics and SF722 around then, so they could be the factor (especially in the probiotics sake).

So despite this I’ve noticed when I have less, or no Betaine tablets, and rely on just swedish bitters before/after meals, the next day I get hardly any gas.

I read on another topic that Danny (Danny33) said he thought it could cripple your gut flora, and it would make sense with my severe dysbiosis because of antibiotics for years (and despite my June 2014 test results saying good levels of beneficials).

Any thoughts?

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

thats a lot of pepsin and not very much HCL at all

When I took betaine i used to use these
    http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-betaine-hcl-with-pepsin

you can see how the ratios are completely different. I took about 6 of them 30 minutes after meals.

HCL will do nothing to your beneficial bacteria, your beneficial bacteria shouldn’t be located in your duodenum really. Your body neutralizes the chyme pretty fast once it enters your small intestine too. So I wouldn’t worry about that aspect of it at all.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

As far as I know, stomach acid does not impact the rest of the digestive tract so I wouldn’t worry about that. The main benefit is that it breaks down the food you eat, it kills bad bacteria and microbes, and basically protects you from invaders.

I think you switched to the wrong HCL product and should switch back or to something better. I also would consider zypan as an alternative which is food derived HCL.

-raster

TheXtremisT
    Participant

Yeah I didn’t think it should be a problem for good bacteria.

I should have put that it is 50mg Pepsin and 325mg Betaine, not the other way around – whoops!

I reckon it is this one that’s not agreeing with me. Can’t understand why though.

Raster you’ve mentioned zypan so often, I think I’m going to have to try it soon. Hope it’s available in the UK.

Cheers guys

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

TheXtremisT
    Participant

Thanks! That’s a really good price, cheaper than my current type that’s causing me trouble.

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

X,

I posted a long time ago about my concerns with HCL and gut flora.
    No worries, I was only trying to figure out why HCL was giving me exacerbated symptoms at the time.
    It was NOT due to the killing of beneficial flora.

It was certainly giving me die off symptoms, I started with too high of a dosage.
    Starting small and working my way up over the course of a few weeks worked well. My stomach and small intestines were likely colonized though I’m not exactly sure what. My H. Pylori tests came back negative as well.

I don’t need HCL like I used to but now can take up to 5-15 pills and feel great.

Consider adding a good digestive enzyme and/or investigate food sensitivities.
    Make sure to write down what you ate when your symptoms are at their worst. High fat meals? High protein? High Vegetable fiber? You may find some clues that way.

Also, HCL by Twin labs worked well for me.

Good luck.

-D

TheXtremisT
    Participant

Thanks Danny.

I just didn’t think it could be die-off, because it’s been going on since mid-June, and I haven’t increased anything in the meantime. Just feels wierd.

I had none yesterday and had minimal the day before (2 tablets instead of 3 per meal) and yesterday I had hardly anything. I just relied on my swedish bitters.

By the way – I’ve just started doing enemas, and currently had been able to do them every 4 days – and the last couple of times I’ve done one, about 5 hours later & for the rest of the day, I got chronic flatulence. I have only used about 600-700 ml distilled water, nothing added, and no discomfort at all.
    The water is heated correctly, there’s no cramping or air going into my colon.

But it really feels uncomfortable, giving me bad gas and bloat about 5 hours later.

I don’t know if it’s because there’s new fermentation going on, or die-off or rapid colonisation of bacteria.
    I read it may be because some of the faecal matter may be newly exposed and available to the bugs for fermentation. So I should do another enema shortly after?

Others have used coffee or saline etc enemas and seem to get something instantly if they’re doing it wrong. But not 5 hours later and for the rest of the day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Betaine HCl causing gas/flatulence?’ is closed to new replies.