Bell peppers, tomatoes, chicken, almonds & quinoa

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Bell peppers, tomatoes, chicken, almonds & quinoa

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Bozley
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 4

Hi all,

I’ve been eating the aforementioned semi-religiously since I’ve been on the diet- a little over 2 months now. I was unaware bell peppers aren’t allowed until ‘phase 2’ and was wondering why they’re not permitted earlier- high GI?

I’ve been experiencing quite severe die-off symptoms every other week so does that mean that I’m making progress and these foods aren’t holding me back?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Bell peppers are fine, they are on the list, the green ones as they contain less sugar.

Tomatoes bother some candida sufferers, but as stated on the forum if they don’t bother you, you can eat them. I do (I try to limit up to one tomato per day just in case) as they do not cause trouble for me.

Chicken is fine once or twice per week but in phase 1 all meat protein besides eggs is best avoided if possible because of the ammonia that it releases when digested.

Almonds may contain mold. Some people still use them after soaking and then roasting to remove mold.

As for quinoa I am also wondering why it isn’t allowed and will let one of the experts respond. I am merely restating what’s been said by them on the forum (don’t want to be confused for an expert here I just spend a lot of time reading this forum).

Bozley

Cheers Okra. I have, however, been consuming red bell peppers, and quite excessively. I have no idea whether or not I have any allergic reactions to food- clearly I’m just not that in tune with my body.

Also, I forgot to mention that I’ve been eating loads of pepitas and sunflower seeds, all of which, along with the almonds, I have not been soaking/cleaning beforehand.

Hope I haven’t been doing all of this in vain.

Cheers

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Red bell peppers are phase 2 food item:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1136_ALLOWED-FOODS-LIST.aspx

I think it’s up to you how you are going to do the diet. What’s been said here are suggestions based on the experience of several people who are healed and it’s up to us if we are going to follow it or not. I started on the web site’s diet, but then slowly transferred to the forum’s protocol and now I try to follow this one instead.

Red bell pepper is left to ripen on the plant before it’s picked and contains more sugar. Green bell pepper is picked before fully ripening (turning red) so it contains less sugar and this is why it’s on the phase 1. It’s up to you to determine your risks, but truth is that red bell peppers have more sugar and if you eat them this much, I am afraid that you might be feeding the candida with it. Can you just transition to green ones? I do know they taste little different but not that much in my opinion.

Consuming seeds and dried foods without soaking/baking or roasting process bring a risk of consuming mold which favors candida. The way I understand soaking/roasting removes most of the mold, so there is a risk that some of it still stays. I wanted to be safe so I cut them out completely.

Bozley

Thanks Okra. I guess the green ones will have to suffice. I soaked and roasted all my seeds and almonds today. It was the first and last time that I’ll be doing it. It’s actually quite laborious if you’re doing a lot; not to mention I scalded my hands taking the tray out the oven. The joys of the candida diet!

I hadn’t realised the forum protocol conflicted with the website one. It’s no wonder I keep getting confused.

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Yes Bozley, the recommendations here on the forum are quite different from the website and much stricter in many ways. I chose to follow the website protocol cos I figured as it was stricter it was more likely to be effective! It worked very well for me and 4 months on I’m pretty much there… at the reintroduction phase. If I had been on one of the more lenient diets I just know I wouldn’t have made the same progress. Take a look at the allowed foods list here on the forum and also the protocol. I’ll bump them up to the top for you.

L

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Bozley, I want to give you a warning from personal experience with nuts/seeds and quinoa.

I ate roasted and salted sunflower seeds everyday (1-2 cups) for 4 months straight, and I only noticed “mucuous production” as the only negative symptom associated with them. Then, wham…I started to gag, choke, get headaches, and almost die from the allergic reaction I got from them every time I ate them. The candida in my body got used to the molds, and my body responded violently. Never went back to eating them since…

The same thing happened with quinoa when I was early in the diet. I was trying to find a substitute for rice because I was allergic to that at one time (and it contains sugars/starches)…so I ate quinoa every single day for 4 days straight. No reaction to it whatsoever, until day 4. On day 4 I had the same violent reaction; headaches, gagging, coughing, and the “leaky gut burn” reaction. Haven’t ate it until a week ago and I am not allergic to it anymore. I am not planning on eating it in the future and am sticking to buckwheat (which is safe for me).

So eat everything that is bad in moderation (low amounts). I feel that its best to avoid these foods, but everyone likes variety, right?

-raster

Bozley

Cheers guys. I think I’ll scrap the seeds & almonds when I run out. I’ve been having a roasted almond spread which is made from 100% almonds and organic so I think I might keep that in moderation- it’s pretty damn good. You’ve got to have some vice huh?!

Since you guys seem pretty cluey on this stuff, I may as well pose another question. I’m thinking of doing a week-long cleanse- bear in mind I’m 2 months in to the diet. I never did one initially and followed more of a mixed bag candida diet that comprised of other sites’ information before I found this one. That meant I ate a ton of eggs, meat and chicken in the beginning which I’ve now backed away from. As I mentioned in one of the above posts, I have been having die-off symptoms a lot so I still think I’m making progress, but I just really want to fast-track my recovery and think a cleanse would be a good idea for this happen. What do you guys think?

Cheers.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I didn’t do the cleanse so have no advice to offer. I’ve actually thought about it myself as well, but I want to keep on the weight. I might do one when I quit smoking.

-raster

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bell peppers, tomatoes, chicken, almonds & quinoa’ is closed to new replies.