Beginner with questions =)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Beginner with questions =)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Catalina
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 14

Good Afternoon,

I just started the detox phase of the diet on Wednesday.

I’m currently using the modified detox method with a glass of warm water first thing in the morning, lemon water 3X a day, molybdenum, Swedish bitters, approved green vegetables, eggs and a WHOLE LOT of water.

I’m sorry but I have a lot of questions…

1)Is the detox I am following enough to start with?

2)Are baked rutabagas allowed during the detox phase?

3)Should I stay on the detox for 7 days or is it recommended to remain on it for 14?

3)It has been suggested that avocados are great on the diet…but aren’t they considered fruit? I hope this isn’t a highly repeated question but won’t the body treat the avocado as a fruit and feed the candida? Should I be cautious and avoid avocados for the first few weeks?

4)How many weeks before I can add homemade kefir? How many glasses should I have a day?

5)How many weeks before I can add yogurt? Is it better to get Greek yogurt or is goat milk yogurt better?

6)Before the detox I tried the coconut bread mentioned on the message board. It’s very yummy. I made the recipe into muffin sized portions….would it be allowed to have a few of those muffins at every meal? Or just a few a day? Can you set yourself back by eating too much of the coconut bread a day?

7)I know it’s best to minimize meat consumption but I was wondering if once a day was too much. I work a lot of hours at work and I’m concerned about my energy levels.

8)Is lamb allowed during stage 1 or should i just stick with chicken for the first few weeks?

8)How many weeks before I can add organic coconut milk?

9)Some family members are coming from out of town. I will be on week 4 when they arrive. They want to go to the Outback Steakhouse for dinner. Would a plain steak with no seasoning or sauce and steamed vegetables be ok? Or 1 month too soon to add steak? I just figure 1 month in I’ll just be dieing for steak.

I’m sorry for so many questions. I’m just scared to make a mistake that sets me back or prolongs my treatment. I really appreciate any feedback you can provide. I can see from each of your replies that you really care about helping each other stay on track.

I have to admit I’m a little worried that I started this diet right before the holidays. It’s going to be a challenge explaining to my family that I can’t eat certain things….and hopefully they don’t judge me if I bring my own food from home. But I’m tired of these repeated vaginal yeast infections! My doctor just wants to keep proscribing fluconazole but it’s not even helping. I’m hoping this program will help.

Thanks,
    Catalina

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Catalina, welcome to the forum.

Question: Is the detox I am following enough to start with?

Reply: Yes it is.

Question: Are baked rutabagas allowed during the detox phase?

Reply: I would wait about two weeks for the rutabagas, that is unless you’ve been eating them often before starting the detox. Have you?

Question: Should I stay on the detox for 7 days or is it recommended to remain on it for 14?

Reply: That’s completely up to you. One week or two weeks on the detox won’t make that much difference, as long as you stay solidly on the diet. I’m speaking of the diet suggested on the forum, not the one created by the website.

Question: It has been suggested that avocados are great on the diet…but aren’t they considered fruit? I hope this isn’t a highly repeated question but won’t the body treat the avocado as a fruit and feed the candida? Should I be cautious and avoid avocados for the first few weeks?

Reply: Avocados are actually food for the beneficial bacteria in your intestines, which is what you want during the treatment.

Question: How many weeks before I can add homemade kefir? How many glasses should I have a day?

Reply: Probably after about two weeks you can start having homemade kefir at a low amount, but we should wait and see what is going on with you in two weeks before planning exactly what you’ll be doing at that time.
    During a Candida treatment program you simply can’t pay attention to or plan a timeline or how much of a particular food to add or when. If you see something like, “stay on phase one for three weeks then go to phase two for six …” just know that this is ridiculous and in time you’ll learn to ignore any timeframe you may stumble across. They’re all dangerous simply because every Candida sufferer is different from another, and nobody knows how long you will need to be in each stage. Does that not make more sense than saying that the same timeframe works for everyone? It’s like saying everyone that goes to a medical doctor will receive the same treatment.

Question: How many weeks before I can add yogurt? Is it better to get Greek yogurt or is goat milk yogurt better?

Reply: Goat’s milk is better, especially if you have trouble with cow’s milk like a lot of Candida sufferers do. You can add it a few days before or after the kefir.

Question: Before the detox I tried the coconut bread mentioned on the message board. It’s very yummy. I made the recipe into muffin sized portions….would it be allowed to have a few of those muffins at every meal? Or just a few a day? Can you set yourself back by eating too much of the coconut bread a day?

Reply: I’ve never heard of anyone being set back by the bread. Talk to Katy about that as it seems to be her favorite food right now. It should also keep you from losing too much weight on the diet which a lot of people have problems with.

Question: know it’s best to minimize meat consumption but I was wondering if once a day was too much. I work a lot of hours at work and I’m concerned about my energy levels.

Reply: Once a day really is too much, unless it’s always going to be organic meat. If you need extra protein, eat more organic eggs and chicken (white meat & organic if possible). Chicken can be eaten once a day, but only if necessary. Have you read why we ask members to avoid red meat?

Question: Is lamb allowed during stage 1 or should i just stick with chicken for the first few weeks?

Reply: Lamb is similar to beef when it comes to the protein break-down, so you should put it in the beef category.

Question: How many weeks before I can add organic coconut milk?

Reply: We’ll look at this question again in two to four weeks. Remember the necessity for no timelines.

Question: Some family members are coming from out of town. I will be on week 4 when they arrive. They want to go to the Outback Steakhouse for dinner. Would a plain steak with no seasoning or sauce and steamed vegetables be ok? Or 1 month too soon to add steak? I just figure 1 month in I’ll just be dieing for steak.

Reply: That’s probably going to be up to you by that time. Personally, I believe it’s better to leave all red meat alone for as long as four to six months or even longer. What’s wrong with chicken?

“I’m sorry for so many questions. I’m just scared to make a mistake that sets me back or prolongs my treatment. I really appreciate any feedback you can provide. I can see from each of your replies that you really care about helping each other stay on track.”

Reply: Catalina, please don’t worry about making a mistake, because chances that you will eventually. I’d bet everything I own that no one has ever completed the treatment without several mistakes or more. This is new territory to you, it’s almost like learning a completely new language, so please don’t be so hard on yourself when and if you do make a mistake.

“I have to admit I’m a little worried that I started this diet right before the holidays. It’s going to be a challenge explaining to my family that I can’t eat certain things….and hopefully they don’t judge me if I bring my own food from home. But I’m tired of these repeated vaginal yeast infections! My doctor just wants to keep proscribing fluconazole but it’s not even helping. I’m hoping this program will help.”

Reply: If you haven’t already explained what your problem is, it’s a wiser decision just to tell your family and friends that you have contracted a really bad allergy to various foods, which is actually the truth.

Please let us know if you have other questions.
    Able

Catalina
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 14

Hi Able,

I really appreciate your quick response. =)

Per the rutabagas – yes, I’ve often eaten them prior to the detox. You can make really tasty “fries” with them. Why do you suggest to wait 2 weeks?

Since avocados are actually food for the beneficial bacteria in your intestines I will definately add them to my shopping list for after the detox. How many would you recommend a day? Should you eat them daily?

Your explanation about not holding to a set timeline is helpful. I over plan everything so I guess this new way of eating will teach me a thing or two. =)

Per the meat- I do plan to buy only organic chicken breast from a farmer’s market called Sprouts. If I do that I will shoot for once a day during my work hours….and try to eat more organic eggs….maybe just go vegetarian during the weekends. How many eggs is too much a day? Yes, I did read the red meat discussion. I will avoid it for at least a few months.

When will I know when it’s a good time to try things out like coconut milk?

I was a little worried about getting chicken from the Outback when I phoned them and asked about their chicken. Sounds like their chicken is from Tyson….who has been rumored to use steroids and growth hormones. They said their steak was minimally processed so I figured that would have been a safer choice. I know we’re trying to minimize our intake on added hormones and steroids. Maybe I should just shoot for a salad with a few substitutions.

I will try and use your advise with my family. It’s tough eating out….

Thank you so much!
    Catalina

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Questions: Per the rutabagas – yes, I’ve often eaten them prior to the detox. You can make really tasty “fries” with them. Why do you suggest to wait 2 weeks?

Reply: I don’t usually suggest that rutabagas be on a person’s diet unless I know that a lot of the Candida have already been destroyed. This is because rutabagas are one of the strongest natural antifungals known; they’re about three times more powerful garlic and at least twice as powerful as oil oregano and can cause terrible die-off symptoms when eaten the first time.

Question: Since avocados are actually food for the beneficial bacteria in your intestines I will definately add them to my shopping list for after the detox. How many would you recommend a day? Should you eat them daily?

Reply: One every day or even every other day would be beneficial.

Question: Per the meat- I do plan to buy only organic chicken breast from a farmer’s market called Sprouts. If I do that I will shoot for once a day during my work hours….and try to eat more organic eggs….maybe just go vegetarian during the weekends. How many eggs is too much a day?

Reply: I really don’t know how many is too many since research has shown that they don’t actually raise one’s cholesterol. As far as my own diet, which is merely a healthy diet with no sugar, wheat or dairy, I’ve eaten as many as six eggs a day since I only have chicken or fish three or four times a week and no red meat or pork. Of course, I also eat a lot of yogurt and kefir every day which are both high in protein.

Question: When will I know when it’s a good time to try things out like coconut milk?

Reply: After a month or two other liquids can usually be added, but this all depends on the course the treatment has taken by them.

Quote: “I was a little worried about getting chicken from the Outback when I phoned them and asked about their chicken. Sounds like their chicken is from Tyson….who has been rumored to use steroids and growth hormones. They said their steak was minimally processed so I figured that would have been a safer choice. I know we’re trying to minimize our intake on added hormones and steroids. Maybe I should just shoot for a salad with a few substitutions.”

Reply: A salad might be a wiser choice, especially since you can’t be sure about what’s in their chicken and meat. Even though someone told you that the meat is “minimally” processed, do you really know exactly what that means? Animals raised for market meat, in addition to the hormones and steroids are usually given antibiotics, in addition to the protein breakdown being a hindrance to the treatment, antibiotics are even worse.

Able

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Beginner with questions =)’ is closed to new replies.