Baking Soda = Ok right?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Baking Soda = Ok right?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

NewDay
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 25

Hi,

I’ve been trying to bake without any baking powder or baking soda and the goods are falling flat?

Baking powder has starch so it’s a no but is baking soda ok?

Becca

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

NewDay wrote: Hi, I’ve been trying to bake without any baking powder or baking soda and the goods are falling flat? Baking powder has starch so it’s a no but is baking soda ok?

Hi, Becca.

You shouldn’t use baking soda if the recipe calls for baking powder. That’s because the soda used alone will lack the acidity, activating the action which makes the food rise. But, you can make your own baking powder by using baking soda and cream of tartar. Just mix two parts cream of tartar with one part baking soda. This 1:2 ratio will provide the desired leavening effect.

Keep in mind that you shouldn’t make a large amount at one time, but only what you’re going to use in the recipe. This is because starch is normally in the mixture to prevent the mixture from absorbing moisture and becoming hard, which would take place if the mixture set on the shelf for a while.

Able

NewDay
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 25

Thanks so so much! You’re awesome!

brendo
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 7

I was wondering about this too.
    I have some organic aluminum free baking powder, but it says that it contains rice starch. Is this not good?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’d get a baking soda without rice starch.

-raster

WilliamHolst
    Topics: 42
    Replies: 72

I made some bread with aluminum free baking powder that had starch in it, and had a very bad reaction to it. All of my progress was erased and i had to start all over from day 1.

Able900
    Spectator

WilliamHolst wrote: I made some bread with aluminum free baking powder that had starch in it, and had a very bad reaction to it. All of my progress was erased and i had to start all over from day 1.

It’s unusual to have to start the treatment all over from day one just because of a tiny bit of starch in something like baking soda.
    How much did you eat before you experienced the reaction?
    Also, how long had you been on the diet when this happened?

Able

WilliamHolst
    Topics: 42
    Replies: 72

I had been on the diet for 3 weeks prior and i was seeing some benifits. Then I made some coconut bread with 3 tsp of baking powder with corn starch in it. I ate like 3 slices and later in the night all of my symptoms came back worse then they were before. I decided I am gunna stick strictly to chicken and vegetables and nothing else cause I cannot have it come back again like that. It was so bad for a couple days I didnt even wanna live.

Able900
    Spectator

WilliamHolst wrote: I had been on the diet for 3 weeks prior and i was seeing some benifits. Then I made some coconut bread with 3 tsp of baking powder with corn starch in it. I ate like 3 slices and later in the night all of my symptoms came back worse then they were before. I decided I am gunna stick strictly to chicken and vegetables and nothing else cause I cannot have it come back again like that. It was so bad for a couple days I didnt even wanna live.

Thank you for that information. I had been on the diet for a couple of months before I discovered coconut bread.

Most people have no reaction at all to the bread, but apparently you were on the borderline between having the full force of symptoms and ‘seeing some benefits.’ But your story may mean that I need to change the time for starting the coconut bread on the protocol and diet … I should probably stipulate that very minor symptoms should be the case when starting the bread.

Thanks again, Able

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Baking Soda = Ok right?’ is closed to new replies.