Avoiding sugar causes Candida to become systemic?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Avoiding sugar causes Candida to become systemic?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jameskep 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #115508

    lbrenner800
    Member
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 8

    I stumbled upon this in my reading, it definitely runs contrary to most Candida protocols, I was wondering if there’s any truth to it:

    “Eliminating natural sugars (like fruit and honey) from the diet when one has candida overgrowth can actually exacerbate the candida issue and cause systemic candida overgrowth:

    Starved candida needs sugar and so will travel upwards through the intestines in search of it. If no sugar is found, candida will project invasive filaments into the intestinal wall, pass into the bloodstream, and – if not quickly destroyed by white blood cells – become systemic. “

    “A sugar free diet will elevate stress hormones, which exhausts the adrenals and taxes the body. The first few months of a sugar free or intensely low carb diet will bring weight loss and a burst of energy due to the surging stress hormones. After the “honeymoon period” however, the toll of the stress hormones will impair the thyroid. The suppressed thyroid function will, in turn, slow the metabolism and cause the weight gain and fatigue.

    I believe the GAPS diet is an extraordinary healing tool, but I have found that I reap even greater healing benefits by utilizing metabolic principles with the GAPS diet. This means favoring “warming” foods: foods that boost metabolism and support healthy hormones. These include saturated fats, healthy sugars, and generous amounts of sea salt. Yes, I know the idea that fat, sugar and salt speeds the metabolism is unorthodox and strange.”

    http://empoweredsustenance.com/busted-candida-myths/

    #115512

    candida_sucks
    Member
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 148

    lbrenner800;54029 wrote: I stumbled upon this in my reading, it definitely runs contrary to most Candida protocols, I was wondering if there’s any truth to it:

    “Eliminating natural sugars (like fruit and honey) from the diet when one has candida overgrowth can actually exacerbate the candida issue and cause systemic candida overgrowth:

    Starved candida needs sugar and so will travel upwards through the intestines in search of it. If no sugar is found, candida will project invasive filaments into the intestinal wall, pass into the bloodstream, and – if not quickly destroyed by white blood cells – become systemic. “

    “A sugar free diet will elevate stress hormones, which exhausts the adrenals and taxes the body. The first few months of a sugar free or intensely low carb diet will bring weight loss and a burst of energy due to the surging stress hormones. After the “honeymoon period” however, the toll of the stress hormones will impair the thyroid. The suppressed thyroid function will, in turn, slow the metabolism and cause the weight gain and fatigue.

    I believe the GAPS diet is an extraordinary healing tool, but I have found that I reap even greater healing benefits by utilizing metabolic principles with the GAPS diet. This means favoring “warming” foods: foods that boost metabolism and support healthy hormones. These include saturated fats, healthy sugars, and generous amounts of sea salt. Yes, I know the idea that fat, sugar and salt speeds the metabolism is unorthodox and strange.”

    http://empoweredsustenance.com/busted-candida-myths/

    Regarding the claim that it goes systemic — there is a lot of misinformation on the internet. While Candida Albicans does grow hyphae and burrow into your tissues if it’s not getting enough nutrients, it is easily killed in the bloodstream unless your immune system is severely compromised. By severely compromised I mean you’d have to be a chemo patient or suffering from something like AIDS. C. Albicans can also eat more than simple sugars.

    #115514

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    If it becomes systematic you will be in the hospital fighting for your life…its a very rare and serious problem that doesn’t happen to most of the people who have candida.

    I remember this lady from before and she is not a medical doctor and is a blog person. She believes in consuming honey and doesn’t follow a candida diet.

    -raster

    #115524

    Vegan Catlady
    Member
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

    There is evidence to support some of what this author says.
    There is also evidence to support that the authors diet choices are equally harmful for various reasons.

    Note that most the people on this forum follow a stricter than average diet, some for several years, some for the rest of their lives.
    How many people say, “Im candida free, and can eat ANYTHING I want now. Just had a chocolate bar. Life is good.”
    My point is not that you would naturally choose a candy bar for your lunch, but that if you wanted one you are not going to suffer for that choice.

    What this tells me is that following The Candida diet, which tells you to repopulate the gut with good bacteria when you feel you have reduced candida numbers, helps you to feel better, but does nothing to eliminate the cause of recurrence.

    So what is the cause if it is not obvious?

    Well, in my research most of these fungal infections start with antibiotic use. Maybe not all, but definitely MOST.
    Living the stress of not knowing WHY you dont feel well afterwards, coupled with ANY stress that may be going on in your life,added to the COST of seeing so many doctors that dont acknowledge candida as an issue, serves to deplete your adrenals drastically.

    Every glandular system is connected to another. You dont see thyroid issues that dont also have parathyroid/pituitary/adrenal/kidney/hormone issues. And every combination of that.
    Depleted system means candida is the boss of you.

    If you google/research the adrenals, there is evidence to support that most people’s adrenals are shriveled little raisins,lol, and that restricting fruit will adversely affect endocrine functions.
    The addition of fruit, rest, herbs that support the adrenals have been shown to rejuvenate the adrenals, which will affect your blood sugar,hormones, and with this, affect your ability to fight candida NATURALLY without the addition of antifungals and restrictive diets.

    Since most people cannot/will not adhere to an endocrine/gland cleaning diet for a few months (consists of eliminating animal products and eating mostly fruit), it is natural to go the route of The Candida Diet, which isnt far from the popular paleo fad that is going on anyway.

    In response to your question, I havent found any studies supporting the theory that low carb/no sugar diets promote candida virulence….I was told there is a German study out there that I cannot find.

    Patterns only suggest that long-term restriction along with anti-fungals create a virulent fungus that the body can nolonger rid on its own.
    Not that eating sugar helps,but allowing fruits and some veggies may encourage over-all immune support.

    #115531

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    Her statements cause fear. Candida does not travel into the blood in the manner she states and very rarely does not become systematic. Once again if you have systematic candida, you are fighting for your life. She is using the word systematic incorrectly and to me this means she is not educated enough about this syndrome.

    And I am someone who can eat a chocalate bar whenever I want with no problems…

    One other thing worth noting is that your adrenals and thyroid are likely messed up before even getting ill with yeast. If you drain these via heavy coffee consumption, not getting iodine, etc. and personal habits then its already messed up. So the candida diet may make things worse. Unless you address your thyroid and adrenal health, it will be much harder to get better. But do you need sugar to heal these glands? There’s plenty of natural sugars on the diet available in vegetables…this is not a no sugar diet at all! This is a low sugar diet. Have people been harmed by a low sugar diet? Of course…and their thyroid likely was hella messed up too. This diet isn’t a one size fit all diet, but if you think eating sugar in high amounts will bring a cure…you are playing with fire imho.

    -raster

    #115532

    dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

    “Eliminating natural sugars (like fruit and honey) from the diet when one has candida overgrowth can actually exacerbate the candida issue and cause systemic candida overgrowth:

    ************************************************************************************************

    Every single day, I am more surprised about the amount of garbage we can read in the Internet.

    I would like to know the amount of suffering fruits and honey may cause to some candida sufferer.

    It probably can not be measured.!

    Jorge.

    #115534

    Vegan Catlady
    Member
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

    raster;54052 wrote:

    And I am someone who can eat a chocalate bar whenever I want with no problems…

    -raster

    We need to hear this more often on this forum.

    For someone new here prognosis sounds awful bleak…which is why my first post asked “is this a forever thing?!?”

    #115535

    lbrenner800
    Member
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 8

    raster;54052 wrote: Her statements cause fear. Candida does not travel into the blood in the manner she states and very rarely does not become systematic. Once again if you have systematic candida, you are fighting for your life. She is using the word systematic incorrectly and to me this means she is not educated enough about this syndrome.

    And I am someone who can eat a chocalate bar whenever I want with no problems…

    One other thing worth noting is that your adrenals and thyroid are likely messed up before even getting ill with yeast. If you drain these via heavy coffee consumption, not getting iodine, etc. and personal habits then its already messed up. So the candida diet may make things worse. Unless you address your thyroid and adrenal health, it will be much harder to get better. But do you need sugar to heal these glands? There’s plenty of natural sugars on the diet available in vegetables…this is not a no sugar diet at all! This is a low sugar diet. Have people been harmed by a low sugar diet? Of course…and their thyroid likely was hella messed up too. This diet isn’t a one size fit all diet, but if you think eating sugar in high amounts will bring a cure…you are playing with fire imho.

    -raster

    Thanks for clearing that up. In my case, I know my thyroid is probably still compromised, because immediately following my 8-month antibiotic course, I was incredibly stressed and was having anxiety + palpitations. I went to the doctor and the first thing they noticed was my slightly swollen thyroid and elevated levels.

    Granted, I did manage to get my thyroid levels back down through meditation and a restrictive diet, but that was 2 years ago, and shortly after my levels returned to normal I abandoned those things, so I’m sure my thyroid is still off, probably my adrenals too. I think that for me, these imbalances followed the antibiotic use + stress, I don’t think I had them before.

    I’m currently a week and a half into my primal candida + gut diet. I’m eating lots of fat and vegetables, a little bit of meat, and probiotics daily (sauerkraut mainly). I’ve cut out carbs, but I’m still getting enough I think from avacados and cooked vegetables. I was feeling very good and energetic for the first week, but a couple of days ago I started feeling die-off symptoms, and yesterday I had flu-like symptoms. Today I’m still very tired, which is probably why I’m online reading about this stuff, cause anytime I start to feel bad a part of me starts second-guessing my diet.

    I would assume that what I’m feeling is a combination of low-carb flu from eliminating carbs, and die-off (I took some coconut oil and olive oil a few days ago, and I’ve been having a ton of probiotics). But I am somewhat concerned that feeling this way could have a negative impact on my thyroid and adrenals and could cause them to be more depleted.

    Should any special changes be made to the diet to allow for thyroid + adrenal support?

    #115537

    Vegan Catlady
    Member
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

    dvjorge;54053 wrote: “Eliminating natural sugars (like fruit and honey) from the diet when one has candida overgrowth can actually exacerbate the candida issue and cause systemic candida overgrowth:

    ************************************************************************************************

    Every single day, I am more surprised about the amount of garbage we can read in the Internet.

    I would like to know the amount of suffering fruits and honey may cause to some candida sufferer.

    It probably can not be measured.!

    Jorge.

    I know if I heard this when I had my first bad attack, I would have looked for her to smack her. I feared a glass of water, just swallowing hurt.

    After doing a lot of reading, she isnt the only one repeating this info.

    I think well-meaning bloggers, who have candida in early stages, who are not really having serious symptoms,do not realize that the audience they reach may be on the verge of insanity with this. Their information may be true for some people though.

    I appreciate the information McCombs offers, because he often offers links to the studies he sites from.

    “Starvation of yeast cells induces exponentially grown cells (and usually non-germinative) to germinate. This phenomenon is also observed in cells that are transiently treated with metabolic inhibitors. During each of these treatments (starvation, metabolic inhibition), expression of a growth regulatory gene (CGRI) increases. Candida albicans: adherence, signaling and virulence.” Calderone et al. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11204138

    #115538

    jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

    Candida doesn’t go virulent(fungal) until there is not enough good flora to inhibit its virulence. Whether candida goes virulent or not depends on the level of fungal candida in the gut. If enough fungal candida is present then it will go virulent if you try to starve it(no food at all). Eating a little sugar just helps to keep it in its yeast form. If someone starts developing fungal candida then its probably not a good idea to entirely avoid carbs. It does seem like fungal candida is more designed for the breakdown of protein and fats, whereas the yeast form is more designed for simple carbs/sugars. Either form can cause issues when it is out of control.

    When I had a mild yeast infection fruits and simple sugars seem to cause flare ups/bloating more than any other foods. Seems like candida “yeast” thrives on natural fructose. The goal is to try to limit candida’s metabolism by eating complex low GI Carbs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Avoiding sugar causes Candida to become systemic?’ is closed to new replies.