Any advice for someone with no gallbladder?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Any advice for someone with no gallbladder?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

pzuzu
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 5

Hello all! I’m new here and I’m currently making plans and researching to start the candida diet. I have read through most of the stickies on this forum but still have a few questions that I haven’t seen answered elsewhere.

A little info, first…

My symptoms, in order of annoyance:

1) Burning Tongue Syndrome (don’t think it’s thrush as I rarely see any physical symptoms. Sometimes there is a small white circle or two on my tongue, but it goes away when I brush my teeth and tongue. I have no symptoms on my gums, inside cheeks, or lips, just the tip of my tongue. I have been to the dentist and he is clueless, but the tip of my tongue is always burning, especially after eating bread, but also sweets. Bread is the real killer though. Sometimes I feel my tongue swollen. I’ve also had a fissured tongue since I was a teenager. Dentist prescribed me some nystatin, and it helped for a few days, then it did nothing. I also went to the doctor for this, and he put me on antibiotics and an antiviral, both of which solved absolutely nothing. Another doctor tested my tongue for yeast infection, and it came back negative. But this always flares with bread and/or sweets, which makes me think it’s something fungal.)

2) Bloating. (Every time I eat carbs, I get unbearably stuffed. Like, I just wanna sit down or lie down because I get so bloated. This happens whether I over eat or not. Heartburn usually follows, and sometimes very strong heart palpitations.)

3) Knotted stomach. (When I eat fatty meals, 3-4 hours later my guts feel like they’re being knotted up and twisting, sometimes with heartburn.)

4) Chronic Thirst. (I’m always thirsty!!! I drink at LEAST 20 24oz glasses of water a day, which leads me to the next symptom.

5) Constant Urge to Pee. (I pee once an hour, sometimes twice, at least 20 times a day.)

6) Chronic diarrhea. (I haven’t had a solid bm in three years. I go 5-10x a day, always liquid. The only times I’ve noticed I have anything remotely close to normal is when I eat lean proteins — chicken or fish — and RICE, but not pasta or other carbs. High amounts of fruits and vegetables make it WORSE!)

7) Gas. (I’m usually okay during the day, but come nighttime it’s nonstop until I go to sleep.)

8) Rash on my lower legs. (little pinpricks in small area around both calves, very itchy, and sometimes I scratch until it scabs…but not horrible, just little pin-sized spots. I just tried some cortisone last week and it cleared it up!)

9) Hunger pangs 1 hour after I eat. I can be bloated one minute, then starving the next. Then I eat something small, like a banana, and suddenly I’m stuffed all over again and bloated.

10) Insane Sugar Cravings!

All of these symptoms, except for burning tongue, started AFTER I had my gallbladder taken out. I had experienced the burning tongue about a year before my surgery, but it would only happen every couple of months, then go away. After my surgery it came on stronger than ever and has never left.

It’s been about three years since my surgery.

I am 34 years old, male. I have been tested for diabetes, negative. I have no medical insurance either, so it’s very hard to afford different tests. And ever since my surgery I have lost a lot of faith in doctors.

So here are my questions:

1) Is there a test you guys recommend I should definitely be taking?

2) Does this sound like a candida problem?

3) Any tips or advice for carrying on this diet without a gallbladder?

4) The surgeon during my gallbladder surgery told/warned me on my follow-up appointment that I have a VERY fatty liver, and showed me on the pictures of my liver. He asked me if I was an alcoholic. I said no, I don’t drink. He said I should start taking care of it immediately before complications begin to appear but he didn’t tell me how. He said he’s just the “car-mechanic, not the engineer”. Is there anything on the candida diet I should avoid that might damage my liver further? And/or something I should definitely make sure I do to help my liver and protect it during die-off, aside from the molybdenum and other things already listed in the protocols, like lemon water?

5) I have suffered from BAD migraines since I was 8 years old. What happens if I experience a migraine during die-off? My migraines are not the typical headache. They are EXTREMELY painful to the point of crying and vomiting, and I have a good pain-tolerance, probably because of these migraines. The only medicine that ever takes care of them is prescription strength ibuprofen (800mg). I’ve read I shouldn’t take that on the candida diet. Is this correct? Are there any alternatives? I fear getting a migraine during this, and considering this could go on for a year, I MUST have a back-up plan…cuz my migraines are no joke. I always say if I had a gun in my hand during a migraine, I wouldn’t think twice about pulling the trigger just to make the pain stop. Is this something I should just prepare myself to endure?

6) I feel I should also mention that I drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning every day. This will obviously stop when I begin the candida diet. Do you guys think that this, along with possible migraines, will cause severe pain during detox?

I should also mention that since my surgery I have gained about 50lbs. I didn’t change my eating habits though I must admit that these sugar cravings have gotten worse in the last year.

Alright, thanks for hanging in there for this post. If anyone has any tips or advice, I would really appreciate them. I’d love to know what it’s like to eat without a burning tongue again. Dropping the weight would be a nice plus. And I’m tired of spending half my waking day in the bathroom. And if for some reason this cured me of migraines…wow.

-Fernando

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Pzuzu,

Welcome to the forum.

Would you mind explaining why you had your gallbladder removed and also how do you think you got candida?
    A lot of your symptoms could be candida related but some back ground information will help lots.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

To answer your questions:

1) I’d get the candida immune complex test from genova diagnostics. They also have a test called the stool effects test. These two tests combined with prior antibiotic use can lead to a positive diagosis. Also, I would consider getting your allergies tested to see if you are allergic to candida, because if you are this explains everything…Dr. Mcoombs feels that anyone who has ever taken antibiotics has a gut flora imbalance; antibiotis stands for against life and destroys both the good and bad bacteria in the gut.

2) Check out this candida symptoms list:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6305_100-candida-symptoms-list.aspx

I think you likely have some other bugs growing in your gut such as in your pancreas, small intestine, etc. I would look into h. pylori and small intestinal bacteria overgrowth which is similar to candida in symptoms, but just a different type of parasite. Everone also has parasites, so this should be considered as well; we all have candida and parasites, just at different levels.

4) I would consider healing your liver before starting the candida diet because you likely will have a tough experience; a naturopath can help do this effectively.

5) Headaches are tied to inflammation of the brain which is tied to inflammation of the gut. If you reduce the inflammation of the gut by doin an anti-inflammatory diet with anti-inflammatory supplements, you likely will completely reduce your migraines. Additionally, a naturopath can prescribe stuff for your migraines that doesn’t come from western medicine.

6) I would transition to something such as green tea before switching to completely non-caffeinated drinks because this could be a tough transition…coffee is inflammatory and thus contributes to your headaches.

In regards to your symptoms:

1) Likely caused by candida or yeast. You could have food allergies (aka leaky gut) and thus you are eating foods you are allergic to and so you get the tongue symptom.

2) Bloating is caused by poor digestion and unchewed food particles fermenting in the gut. If you improve your digestion, this should reduce. The HCL can likely reduce this as well as bugs growin in places they should not:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6027_Hydro-chloric-Acid-and-Health–written-by-Dr–McCoombs.aspx

4, 5, 6): Likely tied to not having a galbladder; if your liver and kidneys are damaged, this could be a reason as well. The diarrea is likely related to parasites, h.pylori, or SIBO.

7) Gas is related to digestion and low stomach acids (see 2 above)

8) Rashes are caused by the body not detoxing via its normal methods. The body detoxes in 3 basic ways, via the skin, via the bowels, and via the lungs. If one of the methods doesn’t work, it’ll cause you detox via a different method such as via the skin.

9/10) Could be tied to nutritional deficiencies (caused by candida). I would get your vitamins and mineral levels tested to see what you are deficient in; your body is hungry because it isn’t getting what it needs…

-raster

pzuzu

I had my gallbladder removed as an emergency surgery. One night I got this unbelievable pain out of the blue that had me rolling and moaning in bed. Did not sleep. Just waited until doctors office opened. They did an ultrasound and found my gallbladder “filled” with gallstones, apparently dozens and to the point of rupture. I was told to drive myself to the emergency room and check myself in immediately. This is where all the symptoms started except migraines and burning tongue, but like I said, the burning tongue wasn’t daily lifestyle at this point. Surgery had no complications. And the gallbladder was NEVER infected, just full of gallstones and ready to burst. I think this happened because of my yo-yo dieting habits. Doing months of no fats, and then tons of fats, then back to no fats, etc. I think I’ve read often that yo-yo dieting is a very common cause for gallstones. I was told by the surgeon I could just go back to normal diet after a week of soft foods, despite his warnings of a fatty liver.

Aside from that, I can’t think of any other reason, nor have I come across another possible explanation in my research, for the gallstones. But I certainly don’t recommend yo-yo dieting to anyone.

-Fernando

Danny33

Have you experimented with any Pro-biotic supplement yet?
    Also, with chronic diarrhea, do you supplement electrolytes?

I share a few of your symptoms
    -Bloating
    -Knotted Stomach
    -Thirst
    -Gas
    -Rash on my face

I just found out today I am allergic to chicken and mustard. I had NO idea I had these allergies until now. This is one of the reasons to get a allergy test.

Most people with Candida overgrowth have Leaky gut, so chances are you have a few food allergies/sensitivities.

The rash on my face would show up when I eat a lot of the same foods (Lemons, chicken, limes, maybe more).
    I recently found a pro-biotic soup that great (Called “candida freedom”) this literally cleared up my 2 week long rash in 2-3 days. It has lemongrass (Anti-fungal) and pro-biotic in the soap. maybe worth a try on your legs to see if its fungal related.

pzuzu

THANK YOU guys so much for the response! Everything mentioned is extremely helpful! And yes, I have tried using some forms of probiotics. About a year ago I bought a box of Culturelle after I had read something online that it might help burning tongue syndrome. I tried cutting the pill in half and emptying out the contents on my tongue. This did nothing for me.

Also, a few months ago I started using the Wal-Mart brand of Digestive Enzimes with Probiotics. This stuff really helps! As long as I take it before every meal, that gut-twisting sensation that comes on 3-4 hours after a fatty meal seems to loosen its grip. However, for REALLY fatty meals, like buffalo wings and ranch with a side of fries…forget it. Nothing’s gonna keep that pain away! LOL…

Alright…so it looks like I’ve got a couple of things to take care of before I start this diet. I’m SO glad I asked beforehand!

Is a naturopath the same thing as a kinesiologist, btw? Or close to it? One of my student’s father is a kinesiologist, and I often recommend him to other people. He is quite the miracle worker in my town, but I’ve always been too embarrassed to even mention my problems. Talking about diarrhea to a student’s parent…not sure how wise that is. But I might just make an appointment and suck it up.

I will try the HCL test first thing when I wake up in the morning and look further into those candida tests, and other possible bugs/parasites. That was enlightening information! I will also give green tea a try!

I don’t supplement with electrolytes. Actually, I avoid all drinks. My only fluids are my morning coffee, and then my 20+ 24oz tumblers of water a day. I quit juices and sodas and energy drinks when I learned how bad all that stuff is for you from this diet or that. Do electrolytes come in non-sugary or non-artificially sweetened drinks? I hear that word and all I think of are Gatorade, powerade, and pedialyte (not sure if that one’s sweetened). I can’t imagine ever being dehydrated after the amount of water I drink in a day. I can drink and drink and still feel very thirsty. But then again…I pee just as much. Hmmm…

-Fernando

Danny33

I have tried using some forms of probiotics. About a year ago I bought a box of Culturelle after I had read something online that it might help burning tongue syndrome

The popular type brands of Probiotic typically have low levels of flora (10 Billion or less). When repairing gut flora It’s recommended usually around 50 – 450 billion a day. To find a High Probiotic count brand, you will likely have to go to a vitamin shoppe/Health food store. You can usually find these brands being refrigerated.

Is a naturopath the same thing as a kinesiologist, btw?

I believe a kinesiologist works more with fitness and movement. Not sure how much they would know about chronic digestive issues/infections/Candida. But it never hurts to ask.

I don’t supplement with electrolytes. Actually, I avoid all drinks. My only fluids are my morning coffee, and then my 20+ 24oz tumblers of water a day

Anybody who understands digestion will probably tell you to stop drinking coffee. It may be OKAY for some people but should be avoided by most, especially with digestive complaints. I myself had to give my daily espresso for now!

Electrolytes DO come in none sugary forms. Ultima Replenisher is a great product sweetened with Stevia. The IS maltodextrin (NON-GMO from rice) in this product which is typically a no-no for candida sufferers. However the benefits may outway that if you DO in fact have low electrolytes. Check on-line for these as im sure there are a few other good brands.

I can’t imagine ever being dehydrated after the amount of water I drink in a day

It may take more then water to be hydrated. There are electrolytes tests(from blood usually) as well as others you should look at getting.

Also, read and research on-line as much as you can. This forum has a great deal of helpful information. Keep asking questions and you will find out a lot of us are going through similar situations.

pzuzu

Is there an all-around comprehensive blood test I should request? Or are all these tests independent from the other? Like, if I go to my GP and ask for these tests, is there something specific I should ask for? I’m going to make an appointment but I don’t want to leave it up to the doctor, cuz frankly I’m tired of the “there’s nothing wrong with you” responses I have gotten these past few years whenever I address these concerns. Oh, you have diarreah? Here’s another round of antibiotics! A burning tongue? Here’s an antiviral in case it’s herpes!

Fun. Lol…

I’ll look up the Ultima Replenisher and go to the nearest health food store for some better probiotics in the meanwhile. Thanks again for all the help!!!

-Fernando

raster
    Participant

These tests are not available at a regular doctors office and you have to mail your samples to them in the mail.

Here is the link to their website:
    http://www.gdx.net/

-raster

pzuzu

Just tried out the baking soda test for HCL. I felt a tiny tiny little burp that took its time coming up at about 11 minutes after drinking the mixture. Should I begin HCL supplementation right away as per Dr. McCombs’ instructions, or should I take care of my liver first before beginning anything else?

Also, I looked into the Geneva Diagnostics tests but they don’t offer these tests to patients, only practitioners of some kind. 🙁

-Fernando

Danny33

I had tests done last week with my General Practitioner last week.
    The test name and my result are below.
    You may benefit for some of these (S-Comprehensive Metabolic Panel, Candida, etc.)

I specifically asked for some of these and the others he suggested.

S-CBC with Diff Normal Complete Blood Count, Spleen & Bone Marrow Functions
    S-Sed Rate (ESR) Perfect Inflammation Marker
    S-Comprehensive Metabolic Panel Normal Metabolic Panel / Electrolytes / Sugar / Renal & Hepatic Functions
    S-TSH Normal Brain Pituitary – Thyroid Axis / Functions
    S-T3 Low T3 Thyroid Hormone
    S-ANA Titer and Pattern Negative Auto Immune Screening test
    S-RPR Reflex Negitive
    S-Candida Albicans Ab (IgG, IgM, IgA) Pending as of 2-22-13 @
    Allergen Wheat Pending as of 2-22-13

I also had an “Allergy Scratch Test” that turned up positive for 29 allergens today. This completely changes the way I must Heal myself.

As with anytime you visit a general practitioner, you must do your homework and know exactly what you want. A GP will not typically look for root causes, just the symptoms.

raster
    Participant

Here are the tests dr. mcoombs recommends with links:

http://www.candidaplan.com/new/what_is_candida/

-raster

pzuzu

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I was wondering if in the meantime there’s anything I can do to start helping my liver right away until I can get these tests done. I’m definitely going to skip over the detox for now, but I’m curious if doing a less stricter version of the diet would help alleviate some of my symptoms. Do you guys think there’d be any harm in that?

Also, would it be alright if I went ahead and (for my liver and digestion) started taking the molybdenum, milk thistle, lemon water, and HCL…as well as starting off a quality brand of probiotics? Or would these things create a substantial amount of die-off?

Basically, can I skip the antifungals and begin supplementing the good stuff?…or does one thing cancel the other out?

What about vitamins?

Just checking…

🙂

Thanks!

-Fernando

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

You can definitely start taking milk thistle and drinking lemon water before you start the diet.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any advice for someone with no gallbladder?’ is closed to new replies.