anti depressants while on the diet ??

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions anti depressants while on the diet ??

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jasminehks
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 30

ok i’ve been diagnosed with depression[ plus anxiety, panic attacks] (which i’ve dealt with for years now i’m experience the worst it’s ever been)

my doctor has suggested this anti-depressant called Citalopram . I told her that i have to think about it cause i am planning on being really serious about Candida. and i absolutely dislike taking medication since i don’t know how my IBS would react to it.

mentally i feel extremely bad and has nothing to do with Candida..it’s that IBS always comes up with things u never knew it actually existed. for the meanwhile i do need to function and go on with my life but the depression has made it impossible. on the other hand the thought of taking the medication while taking another gazillion supplements for Candida sends me to panic mode.

i know being on this forum is all about cleansing, being natural and eating healthy foods. is there anyone out there who have tried anti-depressants while doing the diet simultaneously ??

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I take amytriptaline for sleeping problems (I’ve had chronic insomnia for over 10 years now). It’s an anti-depressant. I hope to stop taking it soon, but I think I am going to tackle quitting smoking first.

I think it does set you back some; mostly anti-depressants drain your adrenal glands and leach out the calcium/nutrients in your body. You need your adrenal glands and nutrients to get healthier and the medication effects this organ fairly strongly over long term use.

I also feel that anti-depressants don’t really quite work (fully) that well for their intended purpose. I think the best answer for you would be to do the diet for a few months, and then you wouldn’t need to take the medication. I was very depressed after being out of work 2 years and having candida (dealing with toxic mold and having to move); the best thing to cure this for me was just getting healthier.

Sometimes when you take medication you get a psychological or physical addiction it, and this could lead to long term use (such as in my case). This is one of main reasons america is overly medicated; people take a drug to fix the symptoms but they never address the underlying cause of the problem. Also, medication often has 100’s of side effects for each drug, many you won’t even notice.

Candida has been known to cause tons of depression problems, and Dr. Mccoombs has stated that the diet has worked really well to alleviate this symptom. I recommend checking out some dr. mcoomb’s and he will have many of the answers you are looking for:

http://www.mccombsplan.com/new/media_center/index.php

jasminehks

i see people here talking about depression caused by Candida, but even though i’ve dealt really minor depression for years. this uncontrollable weird gas thing IBS has caused me has put me on the edge.

no matter what online test i do it points me towards the severe depression section. so i’m assuming it’s really the matter of survival at this point. i’m struggling a lot with thinking if it will ruin my chances with curing Candida.

i don’t want my efforts to go to waste yet my mental condition is pretty bad (barely functioning at this point, just keeping up with everyone else…being a good actress basically)

– would taking this medication affect the effectiveness of my diet to a great deal ??

– i have been against taking medication for my depression for a long time but it seems like i’m at a point that i need to consider it for my own sake.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would say just do the diet for a few weeks and it’ll completely help your depression. You may feel worse at first, but it’ll get better fast. You are getting a lot of gas because the candida produces ammonia caused by digesting whatever your diet consists of right now. Once you do the strict diet; all gas will dissappear once you have gone through the die-off stage. Get a good b-vitamin and this will do wonders as well:

http://depression.about.com/cs/diet/a/vitamin.htm

Another vitamin to consider is cod liver oil and it helps with seasonal depression due to lack of sunlight exposure.

The candida diet can cure your depression, just give the diet a chance! Acupuncture is another way to help detox and make you feel good immediately; the first time I did it, I felt like a new person!

jasminehks

i’m sorry for asking the same questions…but

i would love to see the good effect of the diet..but for now i’ve been advised strongly by more than 3 different doctors that my depression has stopped me from thinking and functioning daily and is really at it’s worse.

– so there is really no evidence in me ruining my chance by taking anti-depressants ??
    – there is hope that even if i start with the anti depressants i will do okay if i keep up with the Candida diet & supplements ??

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Jasmine.

I have no doubt that, in addition to already being depressed, it’s even more depressing to discover that you’ve contracted an illness that isn’t even medically recognized for the most part, and most of your friends and family have no idea what it is you’re going through.

Having a Candida infestation is so debilitating for such a long time that it is depressing in itself, just to experience it continuously and seeing little if any improvement from day to day is alone enough to cause depression. The stress of depression worsens the effects of the infestation, and the Candida itself causes depression; it can turn into a vicious cycle of repeating depression at times.
    I doubt that an antidepressant would have any more of a negative effect on your treatment than the depression itself does, so my advice would be to go ahead and see if the antidepressant can ease some of the stress and depression you’re experiencing.

Raster is correct in saying that curing the infestation should cause your depression to ease up, but none of us can predict how long you may or may not have to wait for that easing to take place, meanwhile the panic attacks, depression and anxiety need to be reduced.

Jasmine, may I ask what your age is? Of course I won’t be bothered if you’d rather not say.

My best to you in whatever you decide.

Able

jasminehks

Thank u Able for the response !!

you have no idea how much it means to me…i’ve just turned 23 and all of a sudden a lot of things in my life are changing in addition to my decreasing mental health, the physical isn’t helping either.

although i can’t say 100% that i’m sure i have Candida…on the Candida Questionnaire
    i scored a lot higher than what was considered normal so i’m going with that. and i will do my best to make it work because i wanna be in control of my body.

all the info on Candida was really overwhelming in the beginning (getting better now)and all my doctors, family and friends are worried about my mental health. my depression has always been a lot milder but it started to get out of control for the reasons stated above plus IBS. so basically they are begging me to take the medication

in one website it said i had to take the toxins out of my body and anti depressants were one of them…so that made me really confused!!
    i just hope i won’t sabotage all the effort i will be putting to my diet

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Jasmine.

Be sure to read the possible side-effects of Citalopram carefully, it’s good to be aware of possible effects. However, at the same time remember that the makers of products are required to list ‘all possible’ effects no matter how minor the chance of having one may be. Most people experience none of the side effects listed for the such products.

Please keep us posted as to your progress, and remember, you’ll need to be very strict with the anti-Candida diet.

Able

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘anti depressants while on the diet ??’ is closed to new replies.