Anti depressants containing small amount of sugar

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Anti depressants containing small amount of sugar

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jereseib79 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

rosekrzyz
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 4

Hi, I’ve just started the cleanse stage of the candida elimination diet as recommended on the this website. I am however taking antidepressants which contain a tiny amount of sugar. I have asked previously the doctor to get it changed over to a different pill but she says that most pills have that tiny amount of sugar in them and the content is so small it would be insignificant. I have been on these for a few months and they seem to be ok with the general candida diet I have been keeping to for a good few years (no sugar,yeast,dairy, etc.)

But will that tiny bit of sugar affect the elimination diet, as I know that carrots and other vegetables higher in sugar are not allowed at first

thanks

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

rosekrzyz;40342 wrote: Hi, I’ve just started the cleanse stage of the candida elimination diet as recommended on the this website. I am however taking antidepressants which contain a tiny amount of sugar. I have asked previously the doctor to get it changed over to a different pill but she says that most pills have that tiny amount of sugar in them and the content is so small it would be insignificant. I have been on these for a few months and they seem to be ok with the general candida diet I have been keeping to for a good few years (no sugar,yeast,dairy, etc.)

But will that tiny bit of sugar affect the elimination diet, as I know that carrots and other vegetables higher in sugar are not allowed at first

thanks

HI Rose,

It’s really a shame you have to take any type of pharmaceuticals while adhering to this diet. My personal feeling is these pharmaceuticals are destroying the lives of so many people. After spending a good deal of time on this forum I have realized most people became sick from this horrible disease because of pharmaceuticals.

Maybe you could seek out the advice of a good naturopath who has some ideas for what you can do in place of using antidepressants.

Floggi
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 425

I think the doctor is right. A tiny amount of sugar is, well, a tiny amount.

The body itself needs sugar, so even if your sugar intake through food and drinks is absolutely zero, your body will produce sugar from other materials. It has to, as cells use sugar as fuel. Especially brain cells and nerve cells, sugar is their only fuel.

Given the fact that the body produces its own sugar, there can be no harm in adding a tiny amount to that self-produced sugar.

Quitting the antidepressants may or may not be a good idea. It really depends on why you started taking them in the first place. You didn’t mention this. I’ve heard of quite a few people who were talked into quitting their antidepressants and who started feeling really, really bad, so far as to not being able to do anything at all. I’ve read (not personally experienced, thank goodness) of people who committed suicide after having been talked into quitting their antidepressants.

On the other hand, if your antidepressants are “only” a supportive means, or even a “convenience drug”, and if you will not experience any severe problems when you quit – then by all means quit.

The important takeaway is that, without knowing your specific reasons and your specific condition, giving you any advice about the antidepressants is downright risky.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

There is 3g of sugar in a head of lettuce and 8g of sugar in a red onion; there is no way to completely avoid sugar on the diet and thats why this is a low sugar diet, not a no sugar diet.

I take an antidepressant for my chronic insomnia problem that I’ve had for over 10 years and it contains some sugar and starch. The pill is so small that the amount of sugar must be less than 1g. This is nothing to worry about.

As far as quitting antidepressents I have never done it. I plan on quitting this year hopefully but I expect a lot of strange symptoms. It definitely makes you constipated and dehydrates the body which makes you constipated.

-raster

Luke
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 20

While it’s true that antidepressants can contain a small amount of sugar, what’s most important is that you don’t lose sight of the big picture. Ask yourself why you’re taking them in the first place and if you would jeopardize your quality of life by ceasing intake. As previous posters have noted, nobody can avoid sugar altogether. Our bodies wouldn’t benefit from the complete absence of sugar, anyway. I’m of the shared opinion of the other posters in this thread. I wouldn’t worry about it hindering your progress.

jereseib79
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 62

Rose, can you try to get off the anti-depressants? When you are dealing with candida drugs are going to be hard on your immune system and liver. I take 5-htp, vitamin-d, and huge amounts of fish oil and it seems to be lessening my depression. Just something to think about.

Also, make sure you are eating enough. I know i feel alot worse if my calorie intake is anything below about 3000 a day. You need alot of nutrients from food in order to produce neurotransmitters such as serotonin and GABA.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anti depressants containing small amount of sugar’ is closed to new replies.