An Update

This topic contains 26 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  hopefrbest 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello my friends. I certainly hope that each of you had a beautiful Christmas Day this year.

As some of you know, I’ve been “Candida clean” for a little over six months now, but I’ve remained very close to Candida diet during this time. My diet for the period has consisted of mainly green vegetables, organic eggs, coconut bread, Greek yogurt, kefir, coconut cream (coconut manna), dried beans (daily), fish or chicken about three times a week (no pork and the only beef was about once a month when I would have beef chili with beans). I continued to drink only water and lemon juice with no sugar. I had one Granny smith apple at least five days a week and occasionally blue berries added to the yogurt. For oils I used olive oil and occasionally coconut oil, and since I’ve always eaten lots of garlic, I continued having this as usual. I ate no wheat products and basically no sugar other than the amounts I received in the apple, yogurt, kefir and vegetables. I had significantly decreased antifungals around five months ago (estimate) when I was taking a maintenance dose of oil of oregano every day. At this time I take about five drops two to three times a week at the most – if I remember to. I’m still taking a probiotic, but not nearly as much as I was during the treatment.

I might add that, even though I mentioned this diet and the fact that I had obtained an “allergy” as being the reason for the diet to my doctor during a yearly checkup, I never consulted a doctor as far as a treatment for the Candida.

About a week before Christmas I decided that if I were ever going to give myself a real test, then Christmas would be the perfect time to do so. My Christmas celebrations actually started this past Thursday with a large Christmas dinner and party in my office building. Food including desserts, eggnog, and wine were in abundance for all to share, so this is where my test began. That day I had about seven Italian meat balls (beef), one glass of eggnog containing about an ounce of wine (I know lots of you are saying “Ugh” right now, sorry), and three Christmas cookies (sugar). Of course the typical vegetables were included as well. This may not sound like a very big change to some of you, but trust me, after over a year on a strict diet which included none of these items, it was a huge change for me.

And then I waited. That night I felt more “stuffed” than I had in over a year, and miserable as well, but there was not even the slightest hint of indigestion (which I half way expected to experience) and absolutely no sign of a Candida reaction, not one.

On Friday I attended another Christmas celebration, my Mother’s family Christmas dinner this time. At this dinner I enjoyed (did I ever) deer stew, sausage balls (pork!), potato salad (potatoes & distilled vinegar), bean & cheese dip with corn tortilla chips, and a very small slice of homemade fruit cake. I arrived home around 10PM without a single symptom or reaction, and still no indigestion. But I have to say I felt like I wouldn’t be hungry again for at least a month. But that wasn’t going to happen.

The next day was Saturday, Christmas Eve. I’ve known for as long as I can remember that Christmas Eve means a big dinner party with my Dad’s entire family. So would anyone like to guess at what I ate at this dinner party? Allow me to share: The usual ham and turkey (yes, both), more potato salad, six stuffed jalapenos (flour breading, jalapenos, and cream cheese), chili & sour cream dip with tortilla chips, and about eight o’clock that night, a bowl of cherry cobbler. I think that’s it. I know it was enough. Still, no reaction.

And then came Christmas Day, and the family spent the day at my parent’s home eating our normal array of turkey, dressing& gravy with all the ‘trimmings’ – which included two of my favorites, a baked marshmallow-covered sweet potato casserole and pumpkin pie. I have to admit I enjoyed these two items more than I should have.
    Other than being miserable from too much food again, I experienced no sign of actual indigestion or Candida reactions. I swear to each of you, nothing in the way of a Candida infestation symptom.

After discovering all of the above, I can only surmise that the infestation is completely cured and that I no longer have a larger population of Candida in my body than a normal, healthy person would have.

As I stated in the beginning, this was a “test” … which to me means that I do not intend to continue eating as I have for the past four days.
    So what will I do now? First, this morning I started a three-day cleanse which includes water, lemon water, and green-vegetable juice that I make myself using a juicer.

Beginning the fourth day, I’ll add organic eggs and steamed vegetables; I’ll continue this for one week after which I will resume eating the way I have for the past several months. I do not intend to add red meat or pork to my regular diet, but will continue having fish and possibly chicken several times a week. I’ll have an occasional glass of wine but no other alcoholic beverage.

I believe that once you’ve had an actual Candida albicans infestation in your body, it will always be easier to start another overgrowth.

In case some of you don’t know or don’t remember how I contracted a Candida infestation I’ll explain; at the time I discovered I had Candida albicans in my body, I had not taken an antibiotic for about 15 years, still haven’t. Because of my mom and dad, I’ve been a health food junkie since I was about 15 years old or old enough to realize that the way I had always been fed was the only ‘healthy’ way to eat. But my weakness was fruit; in fact, I loved fruit. Fruit was my go-to snack, my dessert, and always the last thing I ate before going to bed at night. It was not uncommon for me to have grapes (black were my favorite), oranges, strawberries, an apple, blueberries with my oatmeal and yogurt, some sort of melon salads every day, and in addition, peanut butter & banana sandwiches as my breakfast or lunch or snack at least five times a week. As I grew older and my appetite grew I added more fruit instead of more vegetables or meat. Eventually the large amounts of sugar from the fruit plus the alkaline environment which the fruit created caused an overgrowth of the ‘normal’ Candida which of course led to a Candida albicans infestation. I had to assume this was the cause because bread (carbs) was only eaten as the banana sandwich, and I seldom ate sweets such as cakes, pies or candy, plus I drank unsweetened tea and never sodas and was not a rice, potato, or pasta lover by any stretch of the imagination.

I had already heard of this dreadful fungus, so I knew exactly what to research as far as a natural treatment. Common sense and research led me to cure my own infestation.

By the way, concerning amalgams; I have at this time and have for sometime had two mercury fillings in my mouth.

======================================================================

Updated June 5, 2012

After trying all sorts of foods as a test during Christmas, I removed those foods that I knew would eventually present a problem if I continued eating them on a regular basis, I went through a short detox period, and then very slowly I began to add new foods to eat on a regular basis. You’re basically going through a long, slow period of testing foods when you begin to come off of the diet.
    I don’t know about the rest of you, but during my treatment my only goal was to be rid of the infestation and to be completely symptom free for the rest of my life. So my goal was not to be able to eat sugary and high carb foods again, but to simply remain healthy from now on.

If you’ve suffered for months with various Candida symptoms, then you should consider that simply being symptom-free and healthy is a huge improvement in your lifestyle and health.

I still eat basically all the foods on the diet, and at this point some of the foods I’ve added that I didn’t eat on the diet are:

Jalapeno poppers; these are breaded and contain sour cream. I eat the jalapenos almost daily as a natural, maintenance dose of antifungals.

Breaded okra as well as breaded, fried chicken and fish.

Pimento cheese & humus (not on a daily basis, but several times a week)

Coffee

Apples or pears

Millet & Flax chips (these should only be eaten on the 2nd phase of the strict diet)

All types of beans, such as limas, Navy/white beans, pinto beans, black eyed peas, Crowder peas, garbanzo (chickpea), etc. I eat these on a daily basis because for the most part I have chicken or fish only a few times a week (Cajun breaded white fish are my favorite choice).
    I still avoid as much red meat and pork as possible, but about twice a month I’ll have chili with beef from organically raised cattle as well as homemade gumbo with turkey, shrimp, and Italian sausage.

Occasionally I’ll have a serving of a dessert such as pound cake or banana pudding made with Stevia or Xylitol.

I normally have 2 to 3 small glasses of a quality wine per week.

I work in a large city and travel for business several times a month, so whether I’m at home or away, I go to restaurants 5 to 6 times a week, sometimes more.

Once you’ve reached and enjoyed a symptom-free state for several months, the secret to remaining that way is to avoid overeating foods that have the potential of feeding Candida. That’s why my sugar content is at a bare minimum. It’s also wise to have a daily intake of a natural antifungal source such as garlic, jalapenos or coconut oil, or if not the foods, perhaps a weekly dose of oregano oil. It’s also important to continue having prebiotic foods such as fiber-green-vegetables and having Greek yogurt as well as kefir occasionally. The only bread I have now is made from oat bran.

I believe that once you’ve experienced the full force of a Candida infestation, even after you’re completely symptom-free for a few months, it’s going to be easier for you to contract the infestation again for a long time to come. I know this isn’t what you all want to hear, but I’ve seen it happen with too many people not to believe it’s true. Still, with all the other advantages that come with a healthy diet, personally I’d rather eat a healthy diet rather than suffer from the symptoms all over again and possibly for the rest of my life.

Able

kkasper
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

What great news Able! As hard as this diet is, I know it will be much harder to phase back in some foods and know when to stop. The holidays have been a trying time. I attended one party where there was nothing I could eat. I have found it easier than I would have thought to pass up some foods, mainly because I feel better than I have in years.

Able900
    Spectator

kkasper wrote: What great news Able! As hard as this diet is, I know it will be much harder to phase back in some foods and know when to stop. The holidays have been a trying time. I attended one party where there was nothing I could eat. I have found it easier than I would have thought to pass up some foods, mainly because I feel better than I have in years.

Greetings, kasper.

I can assure you that the diet truly does become easier as time goes by. You’ll eventually find yourself looking at the food others are eating and think, “How on earth did I ever put that into my mouth?”

Good luck to you, and please for your own health, stay with the protocol.

Sincerely, Able

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

I read your update.!
    I would like to say some things that you may agree with some and disagree with others.
    First, your diligence and discipline following the treatment have given you fruits. This is great, and I am always happy when I know that someone has found the way to recover of CRC. IMO, you didn’t get the fungal overgrowth because you ate too much fruits in the past, if not, because your immune system became tolerant to the yeast over time. This is the real way this infection growth. It is an slow process that can start early in life. Candida Albicans is opportunistic and gain terrain step by step. When the numbers are high, and for enough time, the immune system begin to accept it and tolerates its presence. It is all about immune load and tolerance.

My overgrowth was triggered by antibiotic intake, but I had candida before ( I realize it now ) In spite of my severe overgrowth, I was able to take it down to the point I was symptoms free two times. I returned to a “normal” diet and could enjoy it around 2 or 3 months when the infection came back again. It was the moment when I began to look at underlying causes and linked it to mercury.
    I have strong reasons to believe mercury is very implicated in my case, and may lead too. Early in my life, I worked as a body shop technician painting cars with old paints that were loaded with lead. Later, I became an electrician having contact with broken fluorescent lamps many times (aspiring gases with mercury) The worse thing occurred during 2006/2007 when I needed dental works and were done with amalgams. One of the work never was well done, and the dentist had to replace the amalgams around 4 times in the same year. From that time, my health began to going down gradually to the point I collapsed.

Anyway, I feel you don’t need to be an slave of the candida diet but have to be careful and introduce food gradually. You know the symptoms, and they will alert you if something is going wrong.
    Jorge.

Jackie2
    Participant
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 197

Able,
    I’m so happy to hear your great news!!!! I just read your story to my husband, son and daughter. You should see the smiles on their faces. They are soooo happy for you and because of your dedication and hard work they hopeful that I too will be healed. I’m so happy for you and to know that you found success. I appreciate all of the guidance you have given me and all the others that visit. It is so nice to know there is light at the end of the tunnel. I don’t know if I could ever go back to eating like I did. It looks more like poison than any thing else. With that mind set…I can see myself sticking to this diet. What I do miss is dried cherries on my salads, bits of sunflower seeds, oatmeal with blueberries, and soy sauce on my vegetables. But I have hope that maybe in a years time I too will be able to add these to my diet once again. I’m soooooo happy for you. Thanks for taking time to write that wonderful testimony. Blessings to you!!!!

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Wow Able – now that’s a test and a half!!!! I nearly fell off my chair when I read your post!

Well done, mate. Really delighted for you that you’ve proven to yourself that you are now Candida free and can perhaps relax a little? As you say, not continue to have a sugar/ carb fest but at least when you dine at a friends house or in a restaurant you can choose off the regular menu! That’s my aim too and your post is the best Christmas present I could have got… the reassurance that if I follow this “protocol” to the letter which I have been (albeit with 1 deviation!) that in time I can enjoy a meal out with a glass of wine… perhaps even a little cheese to follow!

As with you, I never plan to return to a “normal” diet again. (Normal being the accepted Western norm or sugar cereal for breakfast, burger for luhcn and pizza for dinner… and don’t forget the donuts!!). I look forward to continuing to enjoy the healthiest diet I could possibly be eating and to introducing lots more interesting bits over the coming months.

Thanks as always for your valuable input and well done again for beating the beast!!

Lx

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Able I read your story and I am happy for you. Its wonderful that your commitment to your diet and protocol had the results you where looking for.
    I hope you don’t leave us now before we all here are too healed. 😉

all the best and enjoy the good times you have
    yours
    Thomas

Able900
    Spectator

Good day to you all.

Thanks to all of your posts, I’m feeling pretty proud of myself this morning, even more so than when I made the post last night. Each word of your kind statements of congratulations are a testimony in itself to the type of people I am addressing each time I post a message, and I can’t tell you how pleasant a feeling that gives me.

If I may, allow me to remind you that, during the treatment, and after an initial mistake of thinking I could introduce new foods much too quickly, I was more determined and dedicated to the strict diet than I had ever been about the food I was eating. Once I decided precisely what my diet was going to be, I did not stray even once. I know that will sound next to impossible for some readers, but you can do it as well if you just tell yourself that’s what you’re doing each day. Yes, you’ll receive some strange looks now and then, and perhaps like myself you’ll cause a few people to become a bit irritated by your decision, but the people who love you will eventually understand that your body is truly unhealthy, that you are suffering, and those people will want you to cure yourself for your own sake.

I believe that one more day of the ‘test diet’ may have been too much for me, and I could possibly have caused some negative consequences which I certainly do not want, and I do not by any means suggest that anyone else test themselves in this manner. I will explain the reason I wanted to do this; I went at the test the same way I did the treatment, with both guns blazing as we say here in the US because I “had” to prove to myself that I had completed my treatment with the protocol we recommend here on the forum. Not only did I have to prove the success of the treatment to myself, but I also needed to prove it to each of you as I am sure that you occasionally have doubts about the outcome, and I would like to see each of you do away with those doubts as I believe the doubts are detrimental to the sucess of your treatment. I’ve mentioned the following fact on the forum before, and I will continue to do so:

We create our reality in our minds first; only then do the actual physical transformations unfold.

Take care my friends and keep your wisdom close; I hope to be present when each one of you makes the same announcement here on the forum.

Sincerely, Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I also cheated over the holidays and ate some bread (wheat) rolls, some fruits, balsamic vinegrette, and pumpkin pie (with sugar and wheat). I only had a slight reaction to the sugar in the pumpkin pie and didn’t really feel anything when I ate the rolls or fruit. I am almost there as well…but so far away! I think once I quit smoking, my gut will be able to heal much much faster…getting close to my goal of quitting soon. I have reduced my smoking to 5 a day from 8-9 a day when I started the diet, so getting real close! Also quit the caffeine (mostly) and drink one green tea and one coffee per week. I used to drink caffeine a whole bunch!

Good stuff Able…glad to hear that you to the giant leap of faith and went for it! I only hope that you can do it again sometime soon and be OK!

-Raster

dvjorge
    Participant

raster wrote: I also cheated over the holidays and ate some bread (wheat) rolls, some fruits, balsamic vinegrette, and pumpkin pie (with sugar and wheat). I only had a slight reaction to the sugar in the pumpkin pie and didn’t really feel anything when I ate the rolls or fruit. I am almost there as well…but so far away! I think once I quit smoking, my gut will be able to heal much much faster…getting close to my goal of quitting soon. I have reduced my smoking to 5 a day from 8-9 a day when I started the diet, so getting real close! Also quit the caffeine (mostly) and drink one green tea and one coffee per week. I used to drink caffeine a whole bunch!

Good stuff Able…glad to hear that you to the giant leap of faith and went for it! I only hope that you can do it again sometime soon and be OK!

-Raster

Raster,
    I will suggest you some supplements that help to heal the gut faster in case you aren’t taking them.
    1-L- Glutamine 3000 to 5000 g a day.
    2-Colostrum (increase the intestinal villi lengths)
    3-Slippery Elm.
    4-DGL
    5-N.A.G.
    6-Bee Pollen (increase the villi)
    7-Omega 3
    8-N Acetyl Cysteine.
    9-Aloe Vera
    10-Licorice Root.

Some of this supplements have been adviced by Dr. Leo Galland who is one of the word leaders in gastrointestinal research. Some people end with an intestinal fungal overgrowth but are left with leaky gut and a damaged epithelium.
    Jorge.

Thomas

dvjorge wrote:

I also cheated over the holidays and ate some bread (wheat) rolls, some fruits, balsamic vinegrette, and pumpkin pie (with sugar and wheat). I only had a slight reaction to the sugar in the pumpkin pie and didn’t really feel anything when I ate the rolls or fruit. I am almost there as well…but so far away! I think once I quit smoking, my gut will be able to heal much much faster…getting close to my goal of quitting soon. I have reduced my smoking to 5 a day from 8-9 a day when I started the diet, so getting real close! Also quit the caffeine (mostly) and drink one green tea and one coffee per week. I used to drink caffeine a whole bunch!

-Raster

Raster,
    I will suggest you some supplements that help to heal the gut faster in case you aren’t taking them.
    1-L- Glutamine 3000 to 5000 g a day.
    2-Colostrum (increase the intestinal villi lengths)
    3-Slippery Elm.
    4-DGL
    5-N.A.G.
    6-Bee Pollen (increase the villi)
    7-Omega 3
    8-N Acetyl Cysteine.
    9-Aloe Vera
    10-Licorice Root.

Some of this supplements have been adviced by Dr. Leo Galland who is one of the word leaders in gastrointestinal research. Some people end with an intestinal fungal overgrowth but are left with leaky gut and a damaged epithelium.
    Jorge.

How do they work together with out diet here? Is there something conflicting?
    How much do you take of each and do you have some links to suppliers?
    cheers
    thomas

dvjorge
    Participant

Thomas,
    I don’t suggest using all of them at the same time. Most of them are a real value after the infestation be controlled. During it, probably Omega 3 and Aloe Vera are the most important.
    After the candidiasis, L-Glutamine, Colostrum, NAG, Bee Pollen, etc. Alternate them !!

Good Luck,
    Jorge.

PS/ Do you want to read and learn good articles about leaky gut ??
    Just let me know, I will give you some references.!

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

How does the L-Glutamine conflict with the diet? I already have a tub of that.

Thomas

dvjorge wrote: Thomas,
    I don’t suggest using all of them at the same time. Most of them are a real value after the infestation be controlled. During it, probably Omega 3 and Aloe Vera are the most important.
    After the candidiasis, L-Glutamine, Colostrum, NAG, Bee Pollen, etc. Alternate them !!

Good Luck,
    Jorge.

PS/ Do you want to read and learn good articles about leaky gut ??
    Just let me know, I will give you some references.!

Yes, Pm the links to me if you like.

thanks
    thomas

jamesb
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 43

Able
    It would be interesting to know your weight levels before/during the diet and now if you can remember them and of course your height. At what stage did you start putting weight back on/have you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘An Update’ is closed to new replies.