Amalgam removal

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Amalgam removal

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Floggi 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

I finally caved in. I’m going to have my amalgam removed by a proper holistic dentist. I don’t know if it’s going to be a huge factor in my recovery, but I grimace every time I brush my teeth or remember I have a big lump of the most toxic non-radioactive element known to man embedded in my jaw. I’ll be so pleased to have rid of it.

I’m not going to do chelation as I have done a great deal of reading and don’t think the risks outweigh the benefits in my case. I don’t have a healthcare practitioner on board that I trust enough to oversee the process of chelation either. Moreover, Dr Mercola believes the body detoxes from mercury naturally, albeit at a slower rate than it would with chelation. If this makes me happier and healthier 2 or 3 years down the line rather than 6 to 12 months, then that is an epic result in my view. I have made certain that my dentist uses the utmost care and has a lot of experience. I’m actually travelling 60 miles to have it done rather than have it done by a holistic dentist nearby as the former sounds like he is more careful. I will dose up on Vit C leading up to it and take an activated charcoal pill just before the procedure.

Got my appointment booked for 2 weeks time. I will let you all know how I get on. Wish me luck!

Jo*Jo
    Topics: 64
    Replies: 242

Good luck Cheesey! I’ll be wanting to do this in the next few months so i’ll be interested to see how you get on. I dont know anything about it yet although my nutritionist told me that a dam should be used to catch the mercury, is this right? How much is it costing you?

Cheesey

Jo*Jo;43088 wrote: Good luck Cheesey! I’ll be wanting to do this in the next few months so i’ll be interested to see how you get on. I dont know anything about it yet although my nutritionist told me that a dam should be used to catch the mercury, is this right? How much is it costing you?

That is right in theory. Check out this link for the recommend safe removal procedure:
    http://iaomt.org/safe-removal-amalgam-fillings/

The dentist I am seeing doesn’t actually use a dam. He said that gets in the way of the other equipment he uses for safely removing the filling. Instead of a dam he uses something called a ‘throat sponge’, whatever the hell that is. In addition to that he clamps a little suction thing right around the tooth itself as seen in that link above, I’ll have my own source of clean oxygen piped in through a mask over my nose, i’ll get goggles and all exposed skin will be covered, and finally there will be a huge suction thing right next to my face. Apart from the substitution of the rubber dam for a sponge, it sounds very much like that link above.

The amalgam removal and replacement is £125 which is quite reasonable I think. However, I have to get a £35 initial dental consultation which is a legal requirement as I am not currently a patient of theirs. Moreover, I’m going to have to get a train over to Manchester to get it done as the treatment in Leeds was a little bit sketchy and a lot more expensive.

Here’s a link of the place I am getting it done:
    http://www.sutcliffedental.co.uk/treatments/amalgam-removal/
    There is no indication that you get your own source of oxygen on the website, but I called them up and they talked me through the procedure.

Are you planning on doing a proper chelation protocol, Jo? Good luck when it comes to doing the research, there is as much conflicting information about amalgam out there as there is about candida.

Floggi
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 425

Well, good luck with your amalgam removal.

You do know that there are no indications whatsoever that amalgam poses any risks at all, don’t you? There really is no need to remove amalgam fillings.

This can be seen from the fact that only a small minority of dentists even offers this procedure, despite the fact that they could make a lot of easy money from it. In other words, the dentists themselves do not go after this easy money.

Why? First of all, because all studies indicate that amalgam fillings have no effect on your health.

Second, because removing the fillings is detrimental to your teeth. This is because replacing a filling with another filling is always detrimental, even if the existing filling must be replaced because it has reached the end of its lifetime. As any dentist can tell you, it is not possible to only remove the existing filling: a small layer of dental material must be removed too, so you end up with less dental material – and a bigger hole to fill – than before. This weakens the tooth and thus reduces its remaining lifetime.

If the hole is already quite deep, removing even more dental material will make the hole deeper than it was. This brings the new filling closer to the nerves, which increases the risk of complaints like sensitivity to hot and cold drinks and food.

On the other hand, it’s a known fact that humans are very susceptible to suggestion. Therefore, if you really believe that this useless (even detrimental) treatment will actually help you, you might even benefit from it. Not because of the treatment itself of course, but because of your belief in it.

Be sure to ask your dentist to use fillings that do not contain Bisphenol A (BPA). BPA mimics estrogen, a hormone, and you do not want to ingest hormone-mimicking BPA. BPA has been classified as a toxic substance, but it is still used in most composite fillings. So you might even be worse off if you replace your amalgam fillings with BPA-containing composite fillings.

On a side note, I’m amazed that you do mention the trace amounts of mercury from the amalgam fillings, but you fail to mention the much, much larger amounts of mercury in fish. Especially fatty fish at the top of the food chain contains so much mercury that authoroties advise to really limit the monthly amount of such fish. Yet you fail to mention this danger.

Second to the fish, we are exposed to mercury by general pollution of air and soil. If you live in an industrialised area, or you eat food or meat that grew near an industrialised area, chances are that you get much more mercury from breathing the air and eating food than you’d ever get from your amalgam fillings.

So, the real mercury-related dangers are:
    1. Eating fish.
    2. Breathing polluted air.
    3. Eating food or meat that grew near an industrialised area.
    4. Amalgam fillings.

(Note: 2 and 3 may need to be exchanged, depending on where you live.)

Anyway, you now solve “problem” number 4, without even mentioning the more serious problems 1, 2, and 3.

But, well… good luck anyway.

Cheesey

Your post is just another in the long list of hugely conflicting information that is available on the internet. You might be 100% correct. I don’t know. You’re just some guy. Given the degree of uncertainty in the area, and the fact that I have no idea of the truth in any of anyone’s claims, my cost/benefit analysis of the situation leads me to want to have the amalgam removed.

It’s my deep distrust of any information, rather than a belief in the detriment of amalgams, that has led me here.

Thank you for your advice regarding BPA. I will be sure to look into this.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

Floggi;43100 wrote:
    Well, good luck with your amalgam removal.

You do know that there are no indications whatsoever that amalgam poses any risks at all, don’t you? There really is no need to remove amalgam fillings.

This can be seen from the fact that only a small minority of dentists even offers this procedure, despite the fact that they could make a lot of easy money from it. In other words, the dentists themselves do not go after this easy money.

Why? First of all, because all studies indicate that amalgam fillings have no effect on your health.

Second, because removing the fillings is detrimental to your teeth. This is because replacing a filling with another filling is always detrimental, even if the existing filling must be replaced because it has reached the end of its lifetime. As any dentist can tell you, it is not possible to only remove the existing filling: a small layer of dental material must be removed too, so you end up with less dental material – and a bigger hole to fill – than before. This weakens the tooth and thus reduces its remaining lifetime.

If the hole is already quite deep, removing even more dental material will make the hole deeper than it was. This brings the new filling closer to the nerves, which increases the risk of complaints like sensitivity to hot and cold drinks and food.

On the other hand, it’s a known fact that humans are very susceptible to suggestion. Therefore, if you really believe that this useless (even detrimental) treatment will actually help you, you might even benefit from it. Not because of the treatment itself of course, but because of your belief in it.

Be sure to ask your dentist to use fillings that do not contain Bisphenol A (BPA). BPA mimics estrogen, a hormone, and you do not want to ingest hormone-mimicking BPA. BPA has been classified as a toxic substance, but it is still used in most composite fillings. So you might even be worse off if you replace your amalgam fillings with BPA-containing composite fillings.

On a side note, I’m amazed that you do mention the trace amounts of mercury from the amalgam fillings, but you fail to mention the much, much larger amounts of mercury in fish. Especially fatty fish at the top of the food chain contains so much mercury that authoroties advise to really limit the monthly amount of such fish. Yet you fail to mention this danger.

Second to the fish, we are exposed to mercury by general pollution of air and soil. If you live in an industrialised area, or you eat food or meat that grew near an industrialised area, chances are that you get much more mercury from breathing the air and eating food than you’d ever get from your amalgam fillings.

So, the real mercury-related dangers are:
    1. Eating fish.
    2. Breathing polluted air.
    3. Eating food or meat that grew near an industrialised area.
    4. Amalgam fillings.

(Note: 2 and 3 may need to be exchanged, depending on where you live.)

Anyway, you now solve “problem” number 4, without even mentioning the more serious problems 1, 2, and 3.

But, well… good luck anyway.

You should’t be posting it here. This is not an Amalgam debate forum. This is a Candida Related Complex debate forum.

Many candida sufferers NEVER get well until they don’t remove the amalgams and detox mercury with an effective chelation protocol. Your post is creating confusion and prolonging suffering to those who really needs it to get well. So, your clarifications about this subject aren’t helping those who really need chelate mercury to recover.

The fact is, supported or not by most of the mainstream medicine, there are thousands of candida sufferers who has recovered their former health after doing this procedure of removing amalgams and doing chelation.

The link between Mercury, amalgams, and chronic syndromes, specially CRC is well documented in books written by prestigious MDs. You look like one of those who HAS a lot of amalgams in your mouth and don’t want to recognize it because your own condition and to believe yourself you are safe.

Let people do what they need to do to recover. After all, we are ALL here to help each other and to find the path to a normal life.

Counterproductive posts don’t contribute to our common cause.

Jorge.

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

I second Jorge on that.

The dentist sounds pretty good, but there is no way in hell I would even consider the procedure without a dam. That and breathing piped oxygen through your nose are two most important parts. Otherwise that stuff is gonna fly everywhere in your mouth and your mouth is one big membrane. Thats crazy imo.

Cheesey

impossible;43113 wrote: I second Jorge on that.

The dentist sounds pretty good, but there is no way in hell I would even consider the procedure without a dam. That and breathing piped oxygen through your nose are two most important parts. Otherwise that stuff is gonna fly everywhere in your mouth and your mouth is one big membrane. Thats crazy imo.

I was thinking that about the dam. On the website, however, it says this about the ‘throat sponge’:

“A throat sponge simply isolates the area we are working in, to ensure that all remnants of the restoration are kept away from other areas of the mouth.”

Accordingly, I think it may just be a simple substitute for the dam. I will give them a call though to ensure that this is the case. As for the oxygen, it doesn’t say it on the website but when I called them they told me that I would have my own clean source of oxygen piped in through a fully-fitted mask over my nose.

Peyt
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 51

First of all Thanks to Cheesy for puting up this post,
    I actually just got a quote from a regular dentist 2 days ago for 3 of my teeth. In my case, those 3 teeth really need to be fixed anyways. 2 of them are 15 year old metal crowns that need new crown and 1 needs new filling because the filling inside it broke.

I do believe the that Mercury in my mouth contributes to candida , so it is related.

But the dentist also explained to me what Floggi has posted when I mentioned to him about Mercury(Keep in mind this dentist was a regular dentist not a holistic one). He explained there is actually more Mercury in the fish and also said there is a great chance of Mercury getting in my system during Amalgam removal…. What I did not know is there are “Holistic Dentists” available who do this procedure in a way that is cleaner and with a less chance of Mercury getting into my system…. So thanks SO SO much for this post it’s perfect timing.

Also, thanks to Floggi for posting about BPA material and estrogen. After reading this post, I am planning to make an appointment with a holistic dentist in my area next week to see how much he will charge me to do the job… I will ask about the material he uses and make sure he does not use that material….

The Quote I got from the regular dentist was:
    2 PFG (Porcelain Fuse Gold) Crowns ——— $700 each
    1 Onlay Filling ———— $1200
    So the quote he gave me was about $2600 for all 3

Let’s see how much will the “Holistic Dentist” Quote me… I do have to pay a $50 visit for this Holistic Dentist where as the my regular dentist did not charge me to give me the quote since I had dental work done there before….

Anyways, thanks so much for your helpful post!
    God Bless

Cheesey

Floggi, I just found this interesting quote in this apparently well designed, peer-reviewed scientific study:

It is shown that significant Hg release from dental amalgams is a necessary but insufficient condition to obtain a high long term body burden.

http://oem.bmj.com/content/61/6/535.full

So, you may be correct that amalgam fillings do not cause mercury toxicity, however it appears that they are necessary in its establishment.

Peyt
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 51

Just wanted to report back,
    I went and saw the Holistic Dentist in my area… I was actually very impressed,
    Besides the fact that he does not charge anything extra for taking the precautions and removing the Amalgam holistically his quote was actually $100 cheaper….
    He also has his own Cyrec Machine in office which is a much newer technology and much more convinient since he will be making the crowns over there while I wait.

I am definitely going with him…

Cheesey

Peyt;43451 wrote: Just wanted to report back,
    I went and saw the Holistic Dentist in my area… I was actually very impressed,
    Besides the fact that he does not charge anything extra for taking the precautions and removing the Amalgam holistically his quote was actually $100 cheaper….
    He also has his own Cyrec Machine in office which is a much newer technology and much more convinient since he will be making the crowns over there while I wait.

I am definitely going with him…

Sounds great! Let us know how you get on.

Floggi
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 425

Cheesey;43264 wrote: Floggi, I just found this interesting quote in this apparently well designed, peer-reviewed scientific study:

It is shown that significant Hg release from dental amalgams is a necessary but insufficient condition to obtain a high long term body burden.

http://oem.bmj.com/content/61/6/535.full

So, you may be correct that amalgam fillings do not cause mercury toxicity, however it appears that they are necessary in its establishment.

This is scientific wording.

It does not mean that dental amalgams release significant amounts of mercury.

It does mean that mercury intoxication may occur if, and only if,
    a) Your dental amalgams happen to be in such a bad shape that they do release lots of mercury;
    b) Some other condition, which is not named here, is also present.

By the way, don’t ordinary dentists in the USA take the normal precautions when removing amalgam (or BPA) fillings? My dentist always takes such precautions: she makes sure not even the tiniest grain of dust can enter my throat, she sucks away all saliva, and she even sucks away the air so I don’t breathe in anything that might have any adverse effects.

Maybe that’s why I’ve never heard of “holistic dentists” in my country. This is just common practice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Amalgam removal’ is closed to new replies.