Am I on the right track?!!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Am I on the right track?!!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lucylu 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi all! I’ve been reading a lot of your posts – hugely educational thanks!

I’m 38 and I think I’ve had the undiagnosed condition for a number of years. It started with a yeast intolerance 10 years ago. Since then I’ve gradually cut out all obvious yeasts & carbs and have recently had to cut out all sugars, especially fruit. With 1 exception – white wine. I’ve been under considerable stress with work & having 4 young children at home and had gotten into that habit of having a few spritzers (1/3 glass wine, 2/3 soda water) every night and a few more at the weekends. I stupidly blocked my mind to the fact that this was both yeast & sugar… and as I was avoiding all sugars, yeasts, carbs (except rye crackers) I felt I was ok. But recently after a particularly stressful & sleepless few months I’ve developed a range of symptoms – IBS type stuff, menstrual & PMT stuff, skin things, mood swings bordering on depression, very tearful, always exhausted. I put most of these things down to having young children, a busy job and drinking too regularly. (Little did I know that a symptom of candida is cravings for alcohol!).

Anyhoo… Long story longer… I was diagnosed with Candida last week and started my cleanse with gusto on Monday. I really want to hit this full throttle and am prepared to eat/ drink/ do whatever it takes without even being tempted to “cheat”? I made a few mistakes on Monday because I hadn;t read enough so ate rye crackers with some ham for breakfast… but apart from that I think I’m on track. But this is the problem. With all the conflicting advise I’m not entirely sure. So this is what I’m doing:-

Taking Ozovit 3 times a day to cleanse the bowel & this is working well – having 4-5 loose movements.
    Taking Dida 3 tabs in the morning (has oregano, olive leaves, potmarigold, thyme, cardamom, cloves, garlic, cinnamin oil, fennel oil, peppermint oil)
    Garlic capsules 2 x 3 times daily
    Zinc x 1
    Iron + Vit C (I’m prone to anaemia)
    Apple Cider Vinegar 2 x 3 times (is this too much? Yesterday I had a pounding headache by evening, did acv cause it?)
    Milk Thistle – 1 measure

I’ve been in the sauna to “sweat it out” every 2nd day
    I’m drinking 3-4 lemons in hot water throughout the day and plenty tap water

Breakfast – 2 poached eggs with sea salt & cracked black pepper.
    Snack – whole advocado with black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
    Lunch – Red Onion & Aubergine (Eggplant) slow roasted in Coconut Oil.
    Dinner – Courgette (Zuchinni), garlic and onion sautees in coconut oil, add 4/5 cherry tomatoes and Quinoi at the end, salt pepper with steam brocolli & snap peas (Tonight I have spinach, Kale, squash Quinoi)
    (Needless to say I’m not having tea/coffee, any soft or fruit drinks and no wine – only the lemon drink & water)

My questions…
    Are all of these things ok for the cleanse?
    Am I eating anything I shouldn’t? I have a question mark over tomato & quinoi as I’ve seen conflicting advice.
    Should I start my probiotic now? Have Udo’s Super 8.
    What is “younger than 6 months” cheese?
    Yoghurt – when can/ should I eat this?
    Coconut Oil – mine is thick live a vaseline – do I eat this off a spoon or continue to use it twice a day in cooking?
    When can I introduce beans & lentils?
    How long should I wait to introduce a little chicken? And then other meats/ seafood?
    Are there any shop bought breads or crackers I can buy (with 4 kids at home baking is not feasible!!)
    What is Kefir?

Sorry for all the questions but if someone could answer even a few for me that would be great. It’s so frustrating when I’m trying to do the right thing and do know how! Went shopping earlier in the week and bought what I thought was right and ended up giving half of it to a friend this morning – a very expensive excercise!

I’m looking forward to your responses and also to learning more about this condition.

Many thanks!

Lx

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Lucy.

You will benefit from reading completely through the posts which I’m going to post at the end of this information, and at the same time you can start to correct the mistakes you’re making.

Question: Am I eating anything I shouldn’t? I have a question mark over tomato & quinoi as I’ve seen conflicting advice.

Reply: Leave out the quinoa, tomatoes, and snap peas for now.

Question: Should I start my probiotic now? Have Udo’s Super 8.

Reply: No, wait until after the cleanse is over. Are you refrigerating the probiotic you have? You should be.

Question: What is “younger than 6 months” cheese?

Reply: You shouldn’t eat any type of cheese during the entire treatment, unless you make it from kefir.

Question: Yoghurt – when can/ should I eat this?

Reply: You can start very slowly eating either homemade or Organic Non-sweetened Greek Yogurt about a month after starting the cleanse. You can start having homemade kefir as soon as you finish the cleanse.

Question: Coconut Oil – mine is thick live a vaseline – do I eat this off a spoon or continue to use it twice a day in cooking?

Reply: Did you just purchase the oil? It sounds as if it’s still in a solid state from either shipment or cold weather. You can ‘melt’ the oil by placing it in a pan of water and slowly heating it to a very low temperature on your stovetop. Hopefully you purchased a good brand which comes in a glass jar. Of course you can continue to cook with it as is, and it can be taken by mouth in its present state if you wish.

Question: When can I introduce beans & lentils?

Reply: Read the post below below titled “Timeline.”

Question: How long should I wait to introduce a little chicken? And then other meats/ seafood?

Reply: Probably after the cleanse, but you should definitely try to find organic chicken as well as eggs. Make the eggs your main source of protein, and eat chicken and sardines, herring or wild salmon occasionally.

Question: Are there any shop bought breads or crackers I can buy (with 4 kids at home baking is not feasible!!)

Reply: Doubtful. http://www.thecandidadie…lour-Bread.aspx#post4342
    Some health food stores carry a millet and flax chip which will be acceptable in small amounts in about two months. You can eat coconut bread as soon as the cleanse is complete.

Question: What is Kefir?

Reply: http://products.mercola.com/body-ecology/kefir.htm and http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1146_Kefir.aspx

Remarks: If you live in a town or city and drink from the city’s water supply instead of a well, you may want to invest in a good brand of bottled water for a while, at least throughout the cleanse.

I would stop taking Dida which contains starch which will feed the Candida, stick with the garlic.

Important posts to read:

Proper and Safe Cleanse: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst997_Proper-and-Safe-Cleanse.aspx

Die-Off Dangers: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1090_Newbie-questions.aspx

Timeline: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1092_Treatment-Timeline.aspx

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Sounds like you have read a lot and are on the road to recovery. I would consider eating buckwheat instead of quinoa.

Tomatoes are a fruit and contain low amounts of sugar.

-Raster

Lucylu

Thanks so much to both of you for responding so quickly! I was awake during the night hoping you both would!!

I’ll stop with the Quinoi, toms, Dida (what starch is in it?).

I’m heading a bit further out of town today to a really good organic health food store & cafe. I’ll look for coconunt flour (I have a suspicion it’s not available in Ireland, think I saw that on some site), buckwheat, ground golden flax seed. Can I make the bread with buckwheat flouw if I can’t get coconut? Also stavia just to have in… again, I’ve never seen it here but i’ve never really shopped in these shops before.

I’m using Organic Eggs, Organic Coconut Oil (glass jar but solid… maybe because it’s a bit chilly over here!). I’ll buy bottles water but I think I’m ok as we live in the country – small village with it’s own water supply. I’ll leave it til later on next week to get organic chicken – we have an amazing market with dozens of meat & fish stalls in the nearest city so I might pop in there today to reserach it but not buy til next week.

Was thinking I’d be done with the cleanse by next Tuesday? Or should I start again from today without the things I was mistakingly eating?

Thanks again so much for responding. Thanks for the links. Have sped read them now but have 4 kids shouting for my attention so will read in greater detail later. You both invest so much time and empathy into your responses on this site you truly are invaluable.

Lx

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Lucy.
    I’ll reply to your questions below.

Quote: Can I make the bread with buckwheat flouw if I can’t get coconut?

Reply: Yes you can, you can also use oat bran flour, half and half of each for example.

Quote: Also stavia just to have in… again, I’ve never seen it here but i’ve never really shopped in these shops before.

Reply: Stevia may very well be unavailable in Ireland, if so, you can use Xylitol.

Quote: Was thinking I’d be done with the cleanse by next Tuesday? Or should I start again from today without the things I was mistakenly eating?

Reply: It isn’t necessary to start from the beginning, just go ahead as before without the items we talked about. Next Tuesday is fine be completing the cleanse.

Able

Lucylu

Hi Able!! Buzzing here after a hugely successful shopping trip… got all the essentials including coconut flour so will be baking up a storm pretty soon! Thanks so much for your advice on all the other bits. Just a couple more questions and I’ll leave you alone to enjoy “the lake” (did I spot on another post you had a lakehouse?! How idyllic!)

*I found buckwheat crispbread!!! Nearly kissed the man in the shop (but he wasn’t my type!) so please please please tell me they’re ok – ingredients are Wholewheat buckwheat flour 98.5%, sea salt 1.5%

*Also I found Pumpkin Seed Butter – organic roasted pumpkin seeds, organic sunflower oil, sea salt – what do you think? Would be great on my Coconut bread with some garlic… yummy!

*Also just spotted that there’s Maltodextrin in my Apple Cider Vinegar tabs?! Disgusted… am I right in thinking I’m taking the wrong one?

Right… I’m off to cook hubbie a ribeye with peppercorn sauce… while I enjoy my salad and roasted veg!

Thanks again for all your help!

Lx

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Beef and pork are not allowed on the diet because they cause ammonia.

The maltodextrin is a form of sugar and should be avoided.

Pumpkin seeds in general contain small amounts of mold and should be avoided like other nuts. When you are onto phase 2 you can start to have these more often. The sunflower seeds really set me back on the diet and don’t recommend the use of any nuts or nut products.

The buckwheat bread sounds completely fine; wish I had some!

Lucylu

Thanks Raster.

Don’t worry, the steak was for hubby not me!! I stuck with the veggies and salad!

The buckwheat crispbread is made in England, the brand is “Organic Amisa” and was in the gluten free section of a really superb organic health food store & restaurant. You’ll have to plan a trip to Ireland and fill a suitcase!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Am I on the right track?!!’ is closed to new replies.