Alternative flours .. COOKIES :)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Alternative flours .. COOKIES :)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Sash
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 7

Hey guys, im looking at baking some candida friendly Low GI cookies/shortbread to take with me to the airport for a little snack treat.

Anyone have any recipes to reccomend?

Or i was thinking of coming up with my own recipe using stevia, clarified butter/ghee and some form of flour alternative. So what are the safest flour alternatives that are used on candida diet that wont aggravate my symptoms???

NO WHAT BASED! 🙂

Also, im going on holiday/vacation in two weeks time and plan on having a few alcoholic beverages so i want to stay close to the diet to minimise damage.. if thats possible :/ .. So what foods would you reccomend i eat. My list up to now i have –
    Salads, eggs, sharataki noodles, yogurt, rye crackers, brown rice & veg, herb teas..

Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Sash.
    I always use coconut flour for cooking. You can make cookies, muffins, biscuits and loafs of bread with this flour, and it’s very filling as well as healthy. I’ve used it for several months during which time I’ve managed to cure my Candida.

Whenever I’m going to be away for a day or two on business, I just wrap some of the bread in foil and take it with me. It keeps easily for several days out of the fridge. You could also take almond butter along for the bread if you are able to tolerate it.

Check out some of the recipes in the links below. Some of the recipes are for gluten-free diets which means they may not always be sugar-free recipes, so when a recipe calls for maple syrup, honey or sugar, of course you can just substitute Stevia or Truvia.

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_coconut_flour.htm

http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2006/10/my-first-experiment-with-coconut-flour.html

http://paleohacks.com/questions/195/coconut-flour-recipes#axzz1QxhZGwG5

The following recipe makes a nice size loaf of coconut flour bread. By the way, you can brush olive oil on a slice of the bread, sprinkle it with some herbs, sea salt, and garlic, place it in an oven or toater-oven, and you have a perfect slice of garlic bread.

9 eggs (preferably organic)
    1/2 cup ghee or olive oil (I like to use half of each) melted
    3/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
    1 cup plus 3 oz coconut flour
    Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F

Blend all the ingredients in a food processor or you can stir or whisk them until there are no lumps. Pour into a greased bread pan.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until the top is a nice, golden color.

iuperi
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 7

Here are a couple of gfree (gluten free) websites that have great ideas: celiacchicks.com, julesglutenfree.com, and theflyingapron.com! Hope this helps!

skapwds
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 5

I tried this almond coconut cookie recipe, courtesy of user Veg2, and I LOVE it! One thing, though: almost none of the liquid gets evaporated during baking, so add quite a bit more of coconut milk, just until a thinner (but not thin) dough forms, and when you form the cookies, flatten them. I omitted the butter entirely, used 3/4c-1c of coconut flour, and only added about 1/4c of oil to keep the saturated fat down. I’m already eating enough coconut oil as is! Sprinkled coconut on top before throwing them in the oven is good, too.

almond butter cookies-
    6 oz almond butter
    1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
    1/2 cp butter
    1 cp stevia/xylitol/truvia
    1 tsp cinnamon*
    1 tsp ginger spice*
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1 3/4 cups coconut flour
    1 egg
    form into small balls, cook 400 degrees about 10 min
    *optional

amack1841
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 6

What about using almond flour? Just curious.

grandma
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

I made cookies with almond flour, glycerine, coconut oil and a small amount of baking soda and spice–

they were good but very, very filling; you could only eat one/day–

amack1841
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 6

Thank you I will have to try that!

brendah
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

Why can we not have gluten? I know we cannot have wheat but did not know about the gluten…

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

brendah wrote: Why can we not have gluten? I know we cannot have wheat but did not know about the gluten…

Any allergic reaction to yeast (Candida) can trigger a number of autoimmune diseases such as celiac disease. That’s why a lot of Candida sufferers also have CD.
    A study was conducted and published which showed that the Candida fungal contains a particular protein that’s very similar to gluten protein. Candida infestations are normally located in the intestines, and this can cause an immune system reaction to the particular protein which will in turn stimulate an allergic reaction to the gluten which can trigger celiac disease in some people.

Able

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Alternative flours .. COOKIES :)’ is closed to new replies.