ALLOWED FOODS: Candida Diet

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions ALLOWED FOODS: Candida Diet

This topic contains 277 replies, has 72 voices, and was last updated by  Finn Felton 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 278 total)
  • Author

Himawari
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

I have a question about garlic:

Does garlic’s anti-fungal properties depend on the type of garlic being consumed? I try to eat raw garlic, but I really like the flavor of roasted garlic (ie sauteed in a frying pan), and garlic powder is SO VERY MUCH more convenient than having to cut up actual garlic cloves.

Should I try to refrain from roasting the garlic? And is there any benefit left in garlic powder, or just yummy taste?

While we’re on the topic of flavorings:

I’ve been avoiding spicy foods, even though I love them, because almost all candida diets say you should avoid them, but I would like to know why exactly. Cayenne pepper, wasabi (Japanese horseradish), chili pepper… is there something inherently wrong with these ingredients? Do they create a yeast-friendly environment?

betterin2012
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 8

Regarding the Herbs during the first two weeks. I only see Garlic listed. I had been reading that the other herbs listed help fight yeast as well. Why is it that none of those are advised the first two weeks.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Toffeecoo wrote: You mentioned chicory coffee, do you recommend a brand? Im not a big coffee person but I do enjoy the occasional cup. (Stage 2 drink, right?)

Any organic brand should do; organic is less likely to contain mold.

Actually you could drink chicory coffee about ten days into the diet. Start with just a little in the beginning.

Able

Able900
    Spectator

Himawari wrote: I have a question about garlic:
    Does garlic’s anti-fungal properties depend on the type of garlic being consumed? I try to eat raw garlic, but I really like the flavor of roasted garlic (ie sauteed in a frying pan), and garlic powder is SO VERY MUCH more convenient than having to cut up actual garlic cloves.Should I try to refrain from roasting the garlic? And is there any benefit left in garlic powder, or just yummy taste?
    While we’re on the topic of flavorings: I’ve been avoiding spicy foods, even though I love them, because almost all candida diets say you should avoid them, but I would like to know why exactly. Cayenne pepper, wasabi (Japanese horseradish), chili pepper… is there something inherently wrong with these ingredients? Do they create a yeast-friendly environment?

Roasted and raw garlic are both fine for the treatment. Powered can be used in cooking, but raw is going to be more beneficial.

I know that most “experts” and Candida diets instruct one to leave the hot spicy foods and peppers alone although I’ve never really known exactly why, other than perhaps the red or brighter colored peppers contain a bit more sugar than the green. Actually, Cayenne pepper has been traditionally used by herbalists for a long time in curing stomach aches, cramping, gas, varicose veins, allergies, and constipation, which are all possible problems with a Candida infestation. In addition, in a test conducted by the Department of Agriculture in New Orleans, cayenne pepper was shown to exhibit an antifungal compound, so one has to wonder why not use it as a Candida antifungal?

Able

Able900
    Spectator

betterin2012 wrote: Regarding the Herbs during the first two weeks. I only see Garlic listed. I had been reading that the other herbs listed help fight yeast as well. Why is it that none of those are advised the first two weeks.

The various herbs used in cooking are listed below the allowed foods. I’m sure there are other herbs which are left off the list.

Himawari

Able,

if this is the case, would it be safe to add chili pepper/cayenne pepper, horseradish, and Japanese horseradish (wasabi) to the “allowed list”? Or are these the kind of foods one needs to experiment with themselves, as it may not agree with everyone?

Caitie
    Replies: 12

Able or raster,

If I just found out through the forum that I wasn’t suppose to be having table salt (I sometimes have sea salt and other times table salt)and I wasn’t suppose to be eating non-organic meats, do I have to start the diet all over again? (p.s. I’ve been on a strict version of the diet for a week-only chicken, fish, allowed veggies, eggs).

Also, for future reference if you try a food and then have a reaction, how much does that set you back? Do you have to start the diet again as well?

Thanks,
    Caitlin

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Caitie.

This is why any new food you try to add should be treated as a ‘test food’ … this means that you only tale about three bites and then wait to see if there’s any type of reaction. If so, you should wait at least two more weeks before trying it again. If you do it this way, you won’t cause much if any of a setback.

But if you should make a mistake, you won’t need to start all over again unless you make several mistakes fairly close together, just continue as you were before the mistake.

Able

Able900
    Spectator

Himawari wrote: Able, if this is the case, would it be safe to add chili pepper/cayenne pepper, horseradish, and Japanese horseradish (wasabi) to the “allowed list”? Or are these the kind of foods one needs to experiment with themselves, as it may not agree with everyone?

I think this is an individual decision, Himawari, as I know that some people do have a reaction to these items.

Able

Toffeecoo
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 18

http://www.amazon.com/Teeccino-Caffeine-Free-Herbal-Vanilla-10-Count/dp/B003XNAISU/ref=sr_1_7?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1322779076&sr=1-7

are any of these chicory coffees ok? (sorry I know posted generically before asking, but I dont want to mess up :< ) there’s dates, carob, figs, and various nuts (like cocoa) depending on the flavor. They all seem to share “carob” though and I know I read somewhere that carob is a no-no, should I keep looking?

Able900
    Spectator

Toffeecoo wrote: are any of these chicory coffees ok? (sorry I know posted generically before asking, but I dont want to mess up :< )

None of those are actually chicory root, but this one is.
    http://www.orleanscoffee.com/coffee/American-Chicory-roasted.html

Himawari

Yesterday, I think I had a mild reaction from one of the following:
    non-organic eggs (I got desperate), cumin, lemon juice, new brand of oregano, new brand of vitamin C, ??? Since these all look pretty inconspicuous at first blush, I’m now doubly-determined to double-check and make sure the foods I’m eating are a-okay. Hence new questions (sorry >_< )! First, let’s talk seafood. Eggs don’t fill me up at all (I can eat five big ones at once and still be hungry), I’ve been trying to avoid beef and pork, and I can’t eat chicken for every meal, so I’ve been using seafood to fill the gaps (plus, I live in Japan, where eating seafood is pretty common). I noticed there are only three types of fish on the acceptable list: wild salmon (which I eat very frequently already), and the other two are rarer here. Is there any reason other fish were left off the list, other than mercury/over-fishing concerns? I already try to choose well in those regards… In particular, does anyone have an opinion on any of these?
    – octopus
    – squid
    – (chub) mackerel
    – sea bream
    – fish eggs (cod, salmon, etc.)

I know these aren’t very common in the States, so I didn’t know if they were left off the list simply because they’re not part of the typical western diet. I’ve been eating most of the above to some degree or another, and haven’t noticed any reactions, but I could always be setting myself back without realizing it.

Next up, another spice question!
    Namely, cumin, which I got for a recipe, but is a pleasant addition to the turmeric, oregano, salt and pepper, and garlic powder. I notice it’s not on the list… any particular reason why?

That’s all for now. Much thanks to anyone who can comment on any of the above foods~~~

Caitie
    Replies: 12

Hi,

So it’s been 17 days and my die off symptoms are finally gone (woohoo!), but now I have some questions.

K, so I’d also like to know about different seafood and fish other than salmon as well, can we have it?

Also, for years when I still had candida I was allergic to milk, but recently when I went to my naturopath she tested my allergies again and found I was showing as no longer allergic, so do you think it is safe for me to try Greek yogurt or should I wait longer?

I was also wondering why we can have brown rice bran flour-why doesn’t it feed the candida? Isn’t it a grain?? And can I have this after 17 days on the diet?

Finally, a few days ago I tried the coconut flour bread, except I made it into muffins and added lemon juice. Afterwards I felt pretty sick-wanted to vomit, etc. However, I’m not sure if this is because I had a reaction to the coconut flour and fed the candida, or the coconut flour and lemon juice and coconut oil (all new to me) are such strong antifungals that I had a die off reaction, or if it was because I took my last probiotic later than I was suppose to and upset my stomach. So, should I wait to try coconut bread again and how long should I wait?

Able900
    Spectator

Himawari;

Quote: Yesterday, I think I had a mild reaction from one of the following: non-organic eggs (I got desperate), cumin, lemon juice, new brand of oregano, new brand of vitamin C.

Reply: Of the products you’ve named, the non-organic eggs probably have the best chance of giving any type of reaction because of the antibiotics they contain.

Quote: Is there any reason other fish were left off the list, other than mercury/over-fishing concerns?

Reply: There’s no real reason other than the fact that the ones you’ve named are not that common in America. The other reason is of course the ones named are lower in mercury. The seafood you’re talking about in Japan is probably fresh, and you seem knowledgeable about the ones with lower mercury contents, so I see no reason not to eat these for your protein source.

Quote: …cumin, which I got for a recipe, but is a pleasant addition to the turmeric, oregano, salt and pepper, and garlic powder. I notice it’s not on the list… any particular reason why?

Reply: A lot of herbs that are acceptable for a Candida diet were left off of the list. I’m adding them as they are mentioned, providing they’re acceptable. I just researched cumin, and in one particular study black cumin seed extract was shown to inhibit the growth of Candida albicans; so it’s apparently another herb containing antifungal properties. It’s now been added to the list.

Thanks, Able

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Caitie.

Quote: I had a reaction to the coconut flour and fed the candida..

Reply: You didn’t feed the Candida with coconut flour, if this were possible, it wouldn’t be on the allowed foods list. This was probably an allergic reaction; I would wait about two weeks to try it again, and then just a bite or two of the bread to start with, skip a day, and try it again in the same amount. Move up to more very slowly.

Quote: I’d also like to know about different seafood and fish other than salmon as well, can we have it?

Reply: This is answered in the reply to Himawari.

Quote: Also, for years when I still had candida I was allergic to milk, but recently when I went to my naturopath she tested my allergies again and found I was showing as no longer allergic, so do you think it is safe for me to try Greek yogurt or should I wait longer?

Reply: Treat the yogurt as a test food, that is if you want to try it.

Able

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 278 total)

The topic ‘ALLOWED FOODS: Candida Diet’ is closed to new replies.