Alcohol and the Diet

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Alcohol and the Diet

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  raster 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Piper56
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Hi there~

My doctor has strongly recommended I follow the diet, but I’m concerned about how it will affect my social life. I am in my twenties and socializing often involves a drink or two at a bar or before a performance. I don’t want to miss out on these events but I don’t want to drink water and have to explain the diet to everyone at every event. Any suggestions or similar experiences to share?

Thanks!

jereseib79
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 62

Do you want to get better or do you want to drink with your friends? I can tell you from personal experience that alcohol is one of worst things if you have candida, especially beer. When I had candida pretty bad I would drink one beer and have a hangover for 3 days not to mention a sore throat and headache.

If you have a yeast overgrowth and your doctor is telling you to follow the diet then I would take their advice.

I guess the only advice I can give you is if you insist on drinking then a little bit of hard alcohol is probably better for you than beer. At least it isn’t fermented sugar/yeast/wheat.

It comes down to your personal choices. You can always tell them you are on doctors orders not to drink for a few months. Then when you are better you can have a drink or two and it wont hurt.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I’m 26, and to be completely honest, abstaining from alcohol for the diet HAS affected my social life. I’ve been to probably half a dozen parties in the two months since I started the diet, as well as a handful of shows, and it’s been an adjustment to be around these sorts of events completely sober. Last year, especially, I was sort of a boozy social butterfly, and suddenly being sober and not wanting to go to every single event in town conflicted with people’s expectations of me, and it was awkward at first. Lots of “Why are you going home already? Why aren’t you dancing?” etc. At this point, though, I’ve had a lot of time to think about the different ways that friends and acquaintances have been reacting to my choices, and it’s helped me to be more discerning about the quality of “friends” I choose to hang out with. Someone who only thinks I’m interesting when we’re drunk is probably not very interesting themselves (and I’ve definitely realized that I can’t carry on a proper conversation with some of the people I’ve been partying with, haha). On the other hand, I’ve discovered some friends (some of whom I didn’t even feel particularly close to beforehand) have been really understanding. Once you’re comfortable with your decision, a lot of it will come down to everyone else’s level of maturity and social skills. If there’s no connection when there’s no booze, then honestly, there’s no connection. And no real friend will want you to knowingly do something detrimental to your health. Your decision not to drink isn’t actually inconveniencing them in any way.

As far as feeling like you have to tell everyone you’re not drinking, you really don’t. That said, your close friends should be understanding, and you can always tell more casual acquaintances that you haven’t been feeling well but didn’t want to miss out, or just that you’re driving that night or something. If they don’t know you very well, they don’t really need to know what you’re drinking. I’ve found that most don’t even ask. A tumbler of ice water and a tumbler of vodka don’t look very different.

Good luck with it. This diet takes a lot of discipline, but the pay-off is worth it.

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

I feel your pain.

I am 27 now and I’ve had Candida since 23. I come from an Irish/Italian family so wine and liquor are a normal and “healthy” thing to do everyday. I’ve only really gotten serious about no alcohol in the last 5 or so months, Its very hard. Not so much because of the taste or feeling (although I love it), but its the whole experience with friends and having a good time.

The way I am succeeded at this is I don’t go out as much and I save my money. I used to spend 20% of my income on Beer, wine, liquor, sake, you name it. Now that I’m in my late 20’s I’m naturally not as stoked in going out and getting wasted as I did in my early 20’s.

Tell you friends your doctor said you have serious digestive issues and can’t drink for a while.

I long for the day I can have a few drinks……..

Good luck.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

It’s been a problem for me because all of my friends “like to rage” and drink alcohol like fish drink water. What I’ve realized is that they all like to damage their bodies excessively, abusing it over and over every weekend and during the week endlessly. They do this to “be cool, be trendy, and to be a hipster” but in reality their soul is as hollow as the tin can they drink from.

And what I’ve realized is that many of them don’t have much to talk about other than partying and gettin fucked up; I just don’t have much in common with them anymore. Its a sad development as I turn 30, but I’ve realized I like people who don’t abuse themselves, who are happy, and have more to talk about other than gettin messed up and partying.

Basically this whole health crusade I’ve been on has turned me from being a single hipster to a married nerd. Its a good thing though; all of that money I would’ve wasted drinkin I can put towards something cool like a synthesizer, ridiculous computer, etc. (hobbies).

-raster

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Raster – what synth are you getting? I play keys in a band 😀

On the main topic…

I actually got sober at 24 (I’m about to turn 31) because I was partying too hard and ruined a lot of important relationships due to the decisions I made when drinking. I am unable to control my actions under the influence, so it got to the point where I had to stop partying. At 24, and freshly out on the gay scene, that basically obliterated my entire social life overnight. I have maybe two friends I still talk to from that time period, only one that I actually still consider a good friend – the other just chats with me on Facebook from time to time and is actually quite irritating when we’re sober :p

As other people have mentioned, this is a great way to see who your real friends are and who are just drinking buddies. Although drinking buddies are plenty of fun when you’re out on the town, I found that I felt a little lighter after ditching them. It’s a drag to realize that your friendships are actually quite shallow…makes you feel pretty worthless (at least it does me)…and I’m very grateful for my current set of sober or people who will hang out with me sober friends.

One thing that I have had to adjust to through my journey of sobriety is that sober (including alcohol, drugs, sugar, everything), you never get the “high” of raging with your bros and having a crazy night and all that, but you also never get the “low” of puking up tequila and whiskey, hangovers, passing out in people’s yards, sleeping with strangers you wouldn’t want to sleep with sober, driving drunk, etc. You just get to live life more simply and enjoy things you might have overlooked while you were out partying. I found that I get a much better, even if it’s less intense, “high” from doing something like going on a beautiful hike over going on a bender. I also feel more accomplished knowing that I can get up on stage (I’m a musician and a performer) and entertain people while sober, which the majority of my musician friends can’t say. Most people won’t even sing karaoke to an empty bar without a drink or three in them :p

It’s definitely a different way of life if you are used to drinking a lot, but once you have mourned the loss of the way your life was and the friends you will inevitably have to leave behind, I hope that you’ll be the same as raster and I and see the sadness and destruction in party culture and grow to appreciate being healthy and treating your body with respect and love.

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

Glad to have seen this topic… I went out this past weekend on a cheat since I was feeling much better (regular, no die off, energy at gym, etc). Already felt guilt and regret for doing so. I brought SweetLeaf packets, lemon juice, and ordered Vodka with water. I felt so stupid sitting there at the bar mixing my drink just so I could go out with my friends. The bartender laughed at me! And to be honest, I don’t care for drinking all that much, but rather the opportunity to go out and socialize to have a good time, etc.

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

By the way, Happy B-day Serene!!! I am glad that I have noticed these topics today about alcohol. This is my biggest issue on the diet, too. I am only 28 years old, and as people have read some of my posts. I have been down quite a path. In school, I did study a lot, but I always liked to go out one weekend to drink because I was so stressed from trying to be a perfectionist. I had to get the top grade, get into physician assistant school (I did, but then had to quit due to health problems, you all know, colon out, gastroparesis, surgeries, etc.) Plus, I overdosed on the coffee big-time. I could drink a whole pot in one day, very little water, then Friday, blow out my steam on alcohol.

Plus, I am a light-weight because I do not weigh very much. I am still not perfect by all means, and this is going to be a long year as I am fixing my diet, but I like my alcohol, too. I have realized more and more that it is just not worth it because if I drink a lot, it can take me 2 days to feel better sometimes. I seriously have a hangover for that long. And yes, I came to the realization on Sunday that I just have to stop and re-evaluate maybe later this summer about alcohol, possibly b-day (goal-July 23rd) how I am doing because I cheated on Saturday night, too Serene.

My friend came over for a dinner party, and I ate my food, so good, but then everybody else was drinking, and I gave in and had a couple drinks. Thank god I have never liked beer, but I love wine. wine can be just as bad, yeast! I kicked myself in the butt on Sunday, but I did have a good day yesterday, so yeah me! =)

So yes, it is hard, but I am glad that I am starting to increase my probiotics now, making some difference, etc. I couldn’t do that before, and I have thought about creating my own blog to get through this journey. I still feel I am different because of the no colon issue, but anyone reading this that is young. Take care of your body, and maybe you won’t have to go down the road I did. =(

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

The same toxin is responsible for feeling crappy with a hangover and for feeling crappy from candida: acetaldehyde. Something to think about.

rawlings888
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 7

26 year old lyme/candida sufferer, been on treatment for a year now and getting much better. I’d been sober for the past 2 years. Had my first drinks this weekend, went on somewhat of a bender with a friend, for st. patrick’s day. A few things:

If you really want to heal, forget the bottle.

But, if you want to indulge occasionally, here’s what I did, and I think it worked quite well. First, I drank only vodka, on the rocks. This is because vodka is sugar free. The way I see it, when you drink most alcohols, youa re doing two things: you are impairing the liver, and you are feeding candida with sugar. beer, wine, whiskey, are all loaded with sugar. With vodka, yes you are hurting ht eliver, but at least you aren’t getting all that sugar. So, vodka on the rocks. And, for every glass you have, order it with a tall glass of water. I drank a lot and was hungover and certainly didn’t heal those two days (sat and sun), but I got over it quickly, and by tuesday feel as good as new.

Also, I noticed something, when I told people that I was having my first drink in two years. The response was always the same: congratulations. But i noticed that people were congratulating me for two different reasons. Some were congratulating me for being able to drink again, but some were congratulating me for being so committed to my health for so long. I just think it goes back to what an earlier poster said about drinking buddies.

I dont regret it one bit, but Im glad to b e back on the clean and steady. if anything, it made me feel somewhat renewed.

jdib
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 23

FYI – I find that for me Tequila (100% agave) seems to be the best of the poison. Doesn’t bother me nearly as much as other alcohols(and I’ve tried them all). Not saying you should go out binging on tequila, just that I have the least reaction from it. I can’t figure out why either.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I drank on my bachelor party night last June and I feel that gin might be another one to consider. Gin is made from juniper and juniper actually has some health benefits. Drinking does not have benefits but atleast its made from something somewhat natural.

I would avoid beer and wine or anything fermented with yeast.

The liver is one of the most important organs you need for your recovery, so if you damage it, you basically are destroying your safety net. The liver detoxes the toxins from the body so if it doesn’t work very well, the toxins will build up and thus make you feel bad.

I plan on drinking in a few weeks for my 30th bday and plan on drinking gin or vodka. Won’t drink for another 6+ months after this…

-raster

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alcohol and the Diet’ is closed to new replies.