After reacting to cows milk kefir.. trying coconut water kefir

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions After reacting to cows milk kefir.. trying coconut water kefir

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Fitteral 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Jo*Jo
    Topics: 64
    Replies: 242

So its been a month since I quit milk kefir because I accidentally had some cows milk which made me react to it, and coconut cream and greek yoghurt.

I feel my body is in need of the nutrients kefir provides so shortly I’ll be trying water kefir made from coconut water. That sounds like a good idea, right..? I thought that by using coconut water, it would have less sugar than sugar water and should help my body continue to heal to enable me to go back to milk kefir?

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,

When you ordered your kefir grains which kind did you order? Kefir grains eat the sugar wether you use milk, coconut milk or water. Kefir grains need sugar to grow. Did you have a reaction to coconut cream? Yes any kind of kefir will help you along with your healing of candidia. There are some good you-tube videos. Culturesforhealth.com has great videos on whichever kind of kefir you want to make. I’ll watch for your post and try to help you,
    Miriam

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

You could also try coconut milk. I’ve always used this, and find it a good food source as well. As long as you feed them with milk every week or so, they’re happy as cn be. Let me know if you need a good source for the grains in England.

Hope things are getting better?

Len

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I make coconut water kefir and coconut milk kefir. I like the coconut milk kind better, but it’s becoming cost-prohibitive to make it all the time. Coconut water kefir is definitely an acquired taste…I felt like I was drinking foot wine the first few days (and I LOVE coconut water and I LOVE fermented stuff!). It’s better when it’s bubbly (foot champagne vs foot wine, haha).

As for sugar content, the coconut water I buy has 10g of sugar per 8oz, as opposed to 14g of sugar per 8oz of my housemate’s milk (or 4-5g of sugar per 8oz of the coconut milk I use). This could all depend on brand, though.

Good luck! I hope you get something figured out.

Jo*Jo

Miriam;38660 wrote: Hi,

When you ordered your kefir grains which kind did you order? Kefir grains eat the sugar wether you use milk, coconut milk or water. Kefir grains need sugar to grow. Did you have a reaction to coconut cream? Yes any kind of kefir will help you along with your healing of candidia. There are some good you-tube videos. Culturesforhealth.com has great videos on whichever kind of kefir you want to make. I’ll watch for your post and try to help you,
    Miriam

Hi Miriam, I use milk kefir grains to make milk kefir and water kefir grains to make water kefir. Yes i did react to coconut cream, as well as cows milk kefir, goats milk kefir and Fage greek yoghurt. I chose to make coconut water kefir because I felt that at a time when I am reacting to so many crucial things on the diet and so far into it, using the least amount of sugar (as oposed to sugar water) would give me less of a chance to reacting to this as well.

Jo*Jo

lmm;38736 wrote: You could also try coconut milk. I’ve always used this, and find it a good food source as well. As long as you feed them with milk every week or so, they’re happy as cn be. Let me know if you need a good source for the grains in England.

Hope things are getting better?

Len

Hi Len, I considered coconut milk but what with reacting to coconut cream i didnt think it was a good idea. Thanks for the offer of where to get them. I have loads stored in my fridge (remember the rice pudding incident?)

Hopefully things will start improving soon 🙂

Jo*Jo

shayfo;38755 wrote: I make coconut water kefir and coconut milk kefir. I like the coconut milk kind better, but it’s becoming cost-prohibitive to make it all the time. Coconut water kefir is definitely an acquired taste…I felt like I was drinking foot wine the first few days (and I LOVE coconut water and I LOVE fermented stuff!). It’s better when it’s bubbly (foot champagne vs foot wine, haha).

As for sugar content, the coconut water I buy has 10g of sugar per 8oz, as opposed to 14g of sugar per 8oz of my housemate’s milk (or 4-5g of sugar per 8oz of the coconut milk I use). This could all depend on brand, though.

Good luck! I hope you get something figured out.

Hey Shayfo,

I’m concerned about the cost too, so i’m hoping that I can switch to goats milk kefir not too long after having coconut water kefir. The coconut water I’m using is Vita Coco and has 5g per 100ml which I guess is good but its £4 per litre.. when you compare that to £0.89 for a litre of milk.

I’m glad you warned me of how it’ll taste. It kind of smells lemony and I guess that’ll be because of the lemon i put in while it was fermenting. I got my other half to taste it and he said it tasted like flat Smirnoff Ice. That was the first batch which I’m assuming I should throw out? Its currently on its second ferment until i decide if i should drink it or not. Otherwise i’m fermenting the second batch at the mo.. tomorrow i think i’ll strain it as it’ll be 48 hours. Does all this sound right?

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I started my coconut water kefir with a bottle of it that I bought at Whole Foods. I’ve just been adding new coconut water to at least a cup of existing kefir. If you’re using grains, I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to use water grains, not milk grains. I keep meaning to buy some, but so far, my system is working pretty well, which is cutting into my motivation.

I’ve yet to put lemon in my kefir (of any kind) because I was worried the lemon might kill some of the bacteria. Have you read that it’s okay to do? I would love to make faux lemon soda with my coconut water kefir 🙂

Jo*Jo

Yes I read that a lemon balances the PH levels and stops harmful bacteria. Also putting half an eggshell in add calcium. I’ve seen to add raisins too but i’m concerned about adding too much sugar.

I did try a tiny bit this morning and no reaction so maybe i’m getting somewhere!

Fitteral
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

I usually make coconut milk kefir, but couple of days ago I’ve tried coconut water kefir and I like it much better, here is coconut water kefir recipe that I’ve used. Moreover, I’m not a fan of coconut water itself so I was surprised that coconut water kefir was really good.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘After reacting to cows milk kefir.. trying coconut water kefir’ is closed to new replies.