aeroplane food – and help me write a shopping list!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions aeroplane food – and help me write a shopping list!

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

mazz
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 30

I’m flying home to the UK at the end of the week for a fortnight, because my mum has decided I need looking after (she also suspects that my dad has candida, and I think she hopes that if he sees me doing the diet he might be inspired to change his eating habits).

Two questions…

1) What should I do about food on the flight? It’s with BA and I can request either a gluten free or a diabetic meal – anyone tried and had any success with either of these, and which is likely to be best? I’m hoping there’ll be at least something that I can get away with eating! Or can anyone suggest useful snacks that will travel well and keep me going all day (long train journey when I get to the UK as well).

2) What products should I bring back with me? I want to get buckwheat flour and groats, almond flour, coconut flour and stevia (or xylitol)? I might try some Nairns oat cakes as well as they’re made with whole oats. What else do I need? Pretty well all the less common ingredients mentioned in candida recipes are unavailable here, so I’m basically looking for a pantry list. Can anyone in the UK point me to particular products that are useful, or suggest a good place (store or UK-based online) to buy them?

sammcl
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 151

Hi mate – here’s what I know, not all but a start.

Almond flour – Ground Almonds from Tesco

Coconut flour – http://www.tiana-coconut.com/coconut_flour_recipes.htm

Stevia – Tesco, sugar isle

Interested about the plane meal, I have a 9 hour flight to the states Wednesday week.

Also are you ok on Narin’s oat cakes? I’ve been nervous to try them.

Cheers, Sam

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

mazz wrote: I’m flying home to the UK at the end of the week for a fortnight, because my mum has decided I need looking after (she also suspects that my dad has candida, and I think she hopes that if he sees me doing the diet he might be inspired to change his eating habits).

Two questions…

1) What should I do about food on the flight? It’s with BA and I can request either a gluten free or a diabetic meal – anyone tried and had any success with either of these, and which is likely to be best? I’m hoping there’ll be at least something that I can get away with eating! Or can anyone suggest useful snacks that will travel well and keep me going all day (long train journey when I get to the UK as well).

2) What products should I bring back with me? I want to get buckwheat flour and groats, almond flour, coconut flour and stevia (or xylitol)? I might try some Nairns oat cakes as well as they’re made with whole oats. What else do I need? Pretty well all the less common ingredients mentioned in candida recipes are unavailable here, so I’m basically looking for a pantry list. Can anyone in the UK point me to particular products that are useful, or suggest a good place (store or UK-based online) to buy them?

Take plenty of boiled eggs along for protein and hope for a salad or a selection of raw vegetables.

According to the label, the oatcakes you mentioned contain “Wholegrain Oats.” This isn’t oak bran nor is it steel oats which are the only types satisfactory for a Candida treatment. My guess is that they will definitely feed the Candida.

Able

sammcl

Able900 wrote:

I’m flying home to the UK at the end of the week for a fortnight, because my mum has decided I need looking after (she also suspects that my dad has candida, and I think she hopes that if he sees me doing the diet he might be inspired to change his eating habits).

Two questions…

Take plenty of boiled eggs along for protein and hope for a salad or a selection of raw vegetables.

According to the label, the oatcakes you mentioned contain “Wholegrain Oats.” This isn’t oak bran nor is it steel oats which are the only types satisfactory for a Candida treatment. My guess is that they will definitely feed the Candida.

Able

Weird question – I didn’t think you could take food through customs?

CT
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 63

sammcl wrote: Stevia – Tesco, sugar isle

I bought the stevia from tesco a while ago by Truvia brand and later realised that these are not suitable for the diet. Although they have stevia they are mixed with a sugar that is not allowed. Also the Pure brand is unsuitable too. I think the only allowed stevia is one that has been mixed with inulin and I don’t think any UK brand offers this as far as I know.

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I don’t think food is allowed to bring on the plane. If you are bringing flower and stuff with you, pack it in your suitcase and hope they don’t find it and take it. They might not do anything about flower, but eggs and or meat are definitely not allowed to take on the airplane.

Knowing airplane food, meet is most likely saturated in some kind of sauce (guessing there is a lot of non-allowed ingredients in that sauce) and who knows how veggies are prepared. You might get lucky if they have salad which I only had once on the plane and the size was like tiny, tiny, tiny cup. I would contact your agent and/or company you are flying with and see what your options for meals are. I know you can make special requests such as no dairy, or no pork (I know people who did make such requests) so tell them what you can eat and see what they answer. It’s possible that you could have a special meal on the plane just for you if you arrange it before. Tell them you have allergies and must maintain special diet. Allergies might scare them a bit so they might work better with you on this.

Are you eating nuts and stuff? If you are, you could bring those with you. I doubt they would make a big deal about almonds, pumpkin seeds or walnuts.

My dad has candida but he will not hear about the diet. Maybe if/when I heal myself he might change his mind, but he says he is much too old and while he lives, he lives (he is 72). What can I say, good luck with that 🙂

Have a safe travel!

Arijana

shell
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 19

I am on holiday right now and I have been flying, staying in hotels, going to restaurants etc. I have found flying to be the worst but I found in the airport restaurants a small place offering fish and chips etc. they had a salad that I asked for plain grilled salmon on a bed of lettuce with lemon wedges. I added salt and pepper. It was pretty good. I also found plain almonds at one of the little stores in the airport. Those held me for several hours and helped a lot with my own worries about being too hungry as almonds are very filling. Now while traveling around by car, I have been keeping avacadoes, almonds and hard boiled eggs with me. Then we also have spring mix lettuce in a cooler in the car with lemons, olive oil, salt and pepper. I have not started eating any of the grains or coconut flour type things yet. It hasn’t been easy as my family is eating anything they want all around me but I figure if I get through this than sticking to this diet shouldn’t be too hard. I must admit that I am not having very bad die off so my suffering is fairly minimal. If you are than you may need to add some more things to keep your energy.
    Good luck
    shell

mazz

I usually do take snacks on the plane for my daughter and have never had a problem, although I guess they might raise eyebrows at an egg. They’re not too fussy at the Kuwait end of things, as long as it doesn’t involve pork or alcohol. We always bring a lot of things back in our suitcases.

So truvia with erithrytol is not allowed? I understood that it was, from another thread.

Am confused about whole grain oats. Aren’t steel cut oats whole grain oats that have been chopped up? They’re definitely not rolled oats, so in what way are they whole?

Thanks Shell, that’s helpful re the airports.

mazz

Update on this in case it’s useful to anyone.

I had NO problem whatsoever with taking my own food on the flight. I also took teabags and just asked for hot water whenever I needed a drink.

I booked a gluten free meal. On the way out it was breakfast, so I got a plain omelette (left the tomato and mushrooms on the side) and a pot of plain yoghurt – couldn’t believe my luck! Later when they brought sandwiches I was given a plastic tray full of vegetable sticks which the air hostess commented looked nicer than the sandwiches – and it was!

Coming back was an evening meal and I was less lucky. Chicken and veg on top of paella rice, so all I could eat was the chicken – grilled, luckily. Couldn’t eat the breakfast at all as it was a GF sandwich. I ate my buckwheat bread instead.

Hope that’s helpful!

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

@mazz,

How did you get food past customs? Haven’t they forbid everyone from taking food/drink with them past the customs check, post-9/11?

I’m flying home this summer and have a 15-16 hr journey to get through, so this thread is relevant to me. I was thinking of eating some eggs/buckwheat/coconut bread etc before I go through customs/get on the plane.

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

Bumping

weyn
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 33

I always take food on the plane and I never got stopped at the security checks for it. They do not allow liquids and gels. Not sure what you want to take, but as longs as it’s the right consistency, it should be fine.
    I often fly between Europe and the US. Not sure about Kuwait and South Korea, but I’m guessing the rules shouldn’t be very different.

sammcl

I took some hard boiled eggs from USA to UK last week and had no issues whatsoever.

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I know US doesn’t allow meat or seeds. I know this because I had to pay a fine for it once as they found both on me. I had some homemade smoked meat in the suitcase and was supposed to smuggle it to US, but we got delayed for a day in London, summer heat and all… long story short, dogs smelled it and there you go.

I would check with the airline or your booking agent. They should know what you can or cannot take with you.

Arijana

mazz

There was no problem taking food through customs either at London Heathrow or in Kuwait. I suspect they don’t worry too much as long as you are taking food OUT of the country – certain countries will probably be a bit stricter about what you bring in, if you have any left at the end of the flight.

I took a salad with hard boiled eggs in (shells removed, just in case they showed up on an x-ray and raised any questions), buckwheat bread spread with coconut oil and almond butter, some zucchini muffins and a tub of toasted pumpkin seeds. On the way to the UK from Kuwait I also had a tub of yoghurt that my daughter didn’t eat at breakfast time, and nobody raised so much as an eyebrow (they’re a bit less fanatical about security here, and I guess they know no 2-year-old is going to hold up an aeroplane with a tub of yoghurt!).

Hope that helps. Good luck M!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘aeroplane food – and help me write a shopping list!’ is closed to new replies.