Advice please, I´m new to this

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Advice please, I´m new to this

This topic contains 25 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

maggie
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 4

Hi everyone, I have only recently found this forum and any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. If I tell you how I feel generally then hopefully someone may be able to tell me if I do have Candida. For quite a long time now I have had the following symptoms – bloating, gas/indigestion, fatigue, headaches, depression, anxiety, blocked ears, nausea, migraine´s, joint pain especially on the back of the hands and in my arms, pins and needles all over the body, embarrasing itch – you name it I seem to have it. I have polyps in my gallbladder and saw a consultant recently who said that he thought that my symptoms were not due to the gall bladder problem, he thought it could be food related. He sent me for a food Intollerance blood test that showed up an allergy to Rye Grass. I also had a colonoscopy and everything was fine with that. I´ve had blood tests and everything is fine. I cut out foods with wheat in a while ago because every time I ate anything that had wheat in it I got more bloated. I read about the diet on this site and just over a week ago I cut out dairy produce as well and have really only been eating chicken, fish, pasta, rice and veg. The past few days I have felt so ill, flu like symptoms, the joint pain really bad, crying for no reason and feeling like there is something seriously wrong with me. I had read about the Candida spit test and tried that – it did look like the picture I had seen so I am wondering if it could be Candida that I have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Sure sounds like you have candida Maggie!! All those symptoms are part of it and if you’ve been to the doctors numerous times and come back with nothing it is definitely worth trying out the diet. You get used to it after the first few days and you really start to appreciate foods you’d forgotten about or never tried before. Also, it’s a super healthy diet anyone so it’s certainly not going to do you any harm. Try out the herbal anti fungals and probiotics too and see what happens I say!

This is what I’m doing anyway. I’ve had all your symptoms and some others too and doctors couldn’t tell me anything. This has been going on for about 6 years so I was mighty frustrated. I don’t have access to a skilled nutritionist (I’m in Bahrain) who has good knowledge about this stuff so I’m doing it myself… and who knows whether its the healthy eating or what, but I am feeling better!!

So I would recommend you definitely try it out. And keep checking this forum because it is veerryyy helpful!!

maggie

Katy Gillett wrote: Sure sounds like you have candida Maggie!! All those symptoms are part of it and if you’ve been to the doctors numerous times and come back with nothing it is definitely worth trying out the diet. You get used to it after the first few days and you really start to appreciate foods you’d forgotten about or never tried before. Also, it’s a super healthy diet anyone so it’s certainly not going to do you any harm. Try out the herbal anti fungals and probiotics too and see what happens I say!

This is what I’m doing anyway. I’ve had all your symptoms and some others too and doctors couldn’t tell me anything. This has been going on for about 6 years so I was mighty frustrated. I don’t have access to a skilled nutritionist (I’m in Bahrain) who has good knowledge about this stuff so I’m doing it myself… and who knows whether its the healthy eating or what, but I am feeling better!!

So I would recommend you definitely try it out. And keep checking this forum because it is veerryyy helpful!!

Thank you so much for your reply Katy, it´s good to know there is someone out there who can offer advice because as I guess you know yourself, you feel really alone with this and it does worry you. I am a bit surprised at only getting one reply though – perhaps I was expecting too much. I will take your advice on board and stick to the diet and see what happens. I have never heard of herbal anti fungals so it´s searching the net to find out more about those and like you, I do not know of a skilled nutritionist so it looks like searching for that as well. Thanks you.

NLFM
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 10

Hi Maggie, I’ve experienced similar symptoms to you and have been on the diet for 2 full weeks now. I am being kind to myself and listening to what my body needs – if it needs a sleep in I do it or if I’m energised I exercise. I eat small meals regularly. I also have lots of allowed nuts and nut pastes on rice/corn cakes (gluten free).

It’s hard work – I cook all the time and have to prepare salads for lunch but being organised helps. I boil up to 4 eggs at a time so I’ve always got a protein handy. I use tinned tuna (in springwater) with avocado and sesame in my salads and always feel satisfied. A great dressing is tahini, lemon, olive oil, garlic and salt. You can make your own hummus dip with the above ingredients too – great to dip in carrots, celery & cucumber for quick snacks. Yummy!

There’s side effects to the diet I’m going through which could be die-off but I’ve learnt to not worry about these now – it’s a process! For me it’s the lack of ability to satisfy my sweet craving that I find challenging. There is nothing that will curb it. I do find lemon or lime helps – I add it to lots of meals and water/soda water.

My advice is to do lots of research and remember to be strict with the diet as this will help in the long run. Check out my blog for what I’m going through and some recipe ideas! Keep it up! cheers, Nina http://newlifeforme2011.blogspot.com

Katy Gillett

Hey Maggie, no problem. I know how great it is when someone gives great advice.

Herbal antifungals are outlined on this website too – you can use all sorts from olive leaf and oregano to garlic and coconut oil.. you can use these in their natural forms or in capsule forms. There are brands that herbalists have come up with. Just search ‘candida diet antifungals’ and I’m sure loads will come up!!!

Keep us updated on your progress!!

veg2
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 27

Hi Maggie,
    I’m not sure where you are, but accessing a good naturopath/herbalist is a great help. They can check your blood to see if you have it in your bloodstream. It’s also possible to have an overgrowth that is just in your gut/intestines and not spilled into the bloodstream yet. Also I wouldn’t rely too much on the spit test, this article debunks that method http://www.candidafood.com/2009/12/candida-saliva-test-yeast-spit-test/ .
    It’s good to work with a treatment provider so you know if it is candida, how much you have, etc. Also, there are so many issues to go along with it. For instance treating the root of why you developed the candida overgrowth. This website provides a number of reasons for developing candida, chronic stress, parasites, antibiotics, etc. It’s imperative to get to the root as well.
    Like Katy had said, the diet involves healthy eating so it won’t hurt you to try it. I know for me though, going through withdrawal from caffeine, sugar, yeast foods/carbs, alcohol, etc. was a rough week. Then came the die-off symptoms. Then figuring out other issues, like thyroid and adrenal issues, once I got rid of the parasite that likely began things (as it went through a few rounds of antibiotics from doctors who didn’t know what was wrong with me). Now I feel like I’m finally feeling better! I’m still far from done too, stage one of the diet, working with an herbalist. My point is just that, it doesn’t hurt to try the diet, but it’s the type of thing where you typically feel worse before you feel better and it’s a long process to fully rebalance your body. For me it helped to know that this was in fact what I was dealing with.
    The site gives great advice on the antifungals you can start on your own, any health fod store would have most things. The food can be confusing at first, just try to be very strict for the first month. When in doubt about an “iffy” food try not to stress just save it for after the first month. Like, NLFM said, be good to yourself, rest when you’re tired, execise whenever you have enough energy. this board is helpful to feel less alone in the process too!

maggie

Many thanks for your NLFM. I will certainly take a look at your blog, I would love some recipe ideas. I have not had any cravings really so I guess i´m lucky. The thing that worries me most is how I can be feeling ok then all of a sudden I feel terrible. I´m having difficulty coping with the aches I get in my arms and the backs of my hands. For example this morning it was not so bad and I thought great, it´s going away but this evening it´s back again. I then start to worry about it and I think I´m probably stressing too much, it just feels so horrible that I really start to worry about it. Another symptom I get is feeling jittery all over my body, it´s really weird, I just want it to go away. I have noticed I seem to be getting more symptoms during the evening for some reason, not sure what thats all about. I feel that I am doing ok on the diet so far, I am just eating salads, fish, chicken and vegetables. I went out to lunch on Sunday and I had pasta in a tomato sauce as a starter but i´m not sure if I should have had that or not then had grilled fish with salad – I did not eat the ice cream dessert, I passed that on to my husband. I have been thinking of doing a Liver Cleanse but am wary of doing it. A friend of mine has done it 3 times and her mother 4 times and she said she feels so much better after doing it so trying to pluck up courage to do it. I still cannot get my head around the fact that something like this can cause so many symptoms. Thank you as well Katy and Veg2 for your replies, I feel I need all of the help I can get with this. I have to see my consultant in August re my gall bladder problem and take the results of my Food Intollerance Test to show him, it will be interesting to see what he has to say as he already thinks that the problems I have could be food related but the test only showed up an allergy to Rye Grass. Hopefully if the problem is Candida then by the time I see him I will be feeling better than what I do now.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Maggie. Welcome to the Candida Diet forum.

A few pointers to follow in order to be rid of the overgrowth of Candida as well as preventing a recurrence in the future:

NUMBER ONE: Get rid of the rice and pasta… NOW. It’s very simple really… ALL FORMS OF SIMPLE CARBOHYDRATES FEED YEAST AND WILL PROLONG THE LIFE OF THE CANDIDA AND THEREFORE EXTEND YOUR TREATMENT PEROID.

*Rid your shelves of all sugar products, they’ll do the same thing that simple carbs do, and that includes hidden sugars such as Dextrose which is in regular table salts like Mortons. You can purchase Celtic or Himalayan sea salts and in most cases save money because you won’t need to use as much of this salt for the same result.

*This also includes being careful with the toothpaste you use. Most of the brands, if not all, contain sugar alcohols which will feed the Candida. You can use a bit of baking soda for brushing your teeth.

*You can experiment with different sugar alcohols if you want to, but you may save money and time by trying something called Truvia first. For many Candida sufferers, it’s the only sugar substitute that will not cause Candida reactions.

**Cut out the caffeine. Drink chicory coffee, water, and lemon or lime juice only. Goes without saying, no sodas, even the diet ones.

*** It’s best to leave beef and pork out of your diet for several months at least … UNLESS you purchase all organic beef, which can be very expensive. Speaking of organic, your best bet is of course to always purchase organic meat, chicken, and fish. On the diet, eat mostly eggs, chicken and once or twice a week include fish.

*Don’t waste your money on loading up on antifungal meds or herbs. You will absolutely spend a fortune on these if you don’t listen to this advice now. One or two truly good ones are all you need. Two good ones are garlic bulbs eaten as they are, and another perfect one is Oil of Oregano.

*Purchase the pure liquid Oil of Oregano and start really slowing at first (with either product), perhaps only two drops for about two or three days, then three drops and so on up to maybe 8 drops a day, spread out into 2 or 3 smaller doses … very slow increases because you need to allow you system to adapt to this strong antifungal. If you can’t tolerate the taste like most people, then purchase empty vegetable capsules and put the drops in the capsules to take.

*You can receive die-off symptoms from both the garlic and oregano – as well as the diet; in fact, some of your symptoms already sound like die-off to me. So before you go any further, invest a bit of money in a product by the name of Candidase from Native Remedies. Over a period of just a few days you can work up to three doses a day. Trust me when I say that this will be nothing less than a life saver where the die-off is concerned. Another good product for this is something called Molybdenum, an excellent product. Taking both of these won’t hurt a thing.

***Another product which is essential to your recovery is a good probiotic. One good one is Ultimate Flora Critical Colon BifidoMax by Renew Life, but there are plenty of other good ones out there. Always purchase the probiotics that are refrigerated in the store, this is the really good ones, and yes, they are expensive, but since you’re not going to be spending a fortune on antifungals like other people are doing, you will still be saving money in the long run. Again, whatever probiotic you choose, as with everything, start SLOWLY and work your way up to larger doses.

*** Eat Organic Greek Plain Yogurt only and get some kefir if you don’t already have it. These will feed the good flora in your system.

*No matter what you hear or read in your research or on a forum, don’t waste your money on digestive enzymes unless you know exactly what you are doing. You can and will cause a lot more harm than good as far as the Candida is concerned by consuming the wrong enzymes.

***A better choice than purchasing enzymes is something called “Grape Bitters.” These bitters stimulate the body to release its own digestive enzymes, which is always a better and healthier way for your body to obtain exactly what it needs instead of making a guess as to what you think it needs. In addition, eat plenty of the flora-feeding foods such as fiber-rich vegetables. Raw vegetables will not only feed the good flora, but also contain enzymes and aid your digestion.

**If your digestive system is on the blink, invest in something called Betaine HCI Caps (hydrochloric acid with Pepsin).

*You can do a detox if you want to, that’s up to you. But if you stick strictly to the diet and drink lemon and lime juice and water ONLY, you will be constantly detoxing your body with this ‘clean’ diet. If your case is severe enough, detoxing certainly shouldn’t hurt.

This regimen will allow your body to take care of itself. Concentrating only on numerous antifungals is why so many people end up spending years fighting Candida. They’re trying to kill it instead of addressing the cause of the overgrowth in the first place, which is what this regimen does.

Throughout your diet and treatment – and really for the remainder of your life never forget this:

ALL FORMS OF SIMPLE CARBOHYDRATES AND SUGAR FEED YEAST AND CANDIDA.

Fillie
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 5

Hello everyone i am new in this too! I am finishing the first stage next week. I am just a bit worried about the second stage. I just find the second stage a bit unclear. I am not sure if I will have any of the symptoms you mention here by the end of 3 weeks and how long they will last. If i dont have the symptoms, do i continue the diet of first stage? Any help? Please

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Goodness. Able gave some accurate and very useful advice, but PLEASE don’t let all of that overwhelm you. There *is* a lot to learn, but it doesn’t all have to happen at once. I really like what one of the first commenters said, listen to your body, be gentle with yourself, go at a pace that suits you. You don’t want to make your changes too slowly of course, but it’s not the end of the world if it takes a few weeks to really figure things out. My first 2 weeks I was eating foods that I didn’t realize were best avoided, and things have still gone very well for me so far. Your mindset and attitude are going to really work *for* you if you can keep them hopeful and positive and *low stress* (as much as you are able with candida symptoms of anxiety, that is).

On the liver cleanse, liver cleanses can really speed up die-off symptoms, which it sounds like you already have enough of. Doing a liver cleanse now would likely make your die-off symptoms much worse. You can still do one later, when most of your die-off seems to have evened out and you’re feeling noticeably better. Besides that, the cleanse will be easier on your liver if you can first eliminate some of the yeast and their toxins through following the diet.

Ups and downs are normal. Really 🙂 You’ll start to feel better and then WHAM you have another episode of die off. This is normal and the die-off is actually a *good* sign that your body is effectively getting rid of the yeast 🙂

Hang in there. Go easy. Believe that this really can and will get better. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hope

Hi, Fillie 🙂 Yes, the diet technically says to stay in Stage 1 for 3 weeks. Personally, though, I think it’s safer to wait until your body has responded favorably and many of your candida symptoms are dramatically reduced. At week 3, I was feeling pretty good. I stayed in Stage 1 for several more weeks, though, because other sources I had read recommended a minimum of 4-6 weeks on the strict diet. During week 5, I had a *noticeable* decrease in symptoms. I felt amazing. It almost made me cry, like I had forgotten how good I used to feel! I’m not sure I would’ve gotten to that point if I hadn’t stayed in Stage 1 longer. Who can say? But, personally, I’d recommend staying in Stage 1 until *your body* seems to be ready to move on 🙂

Hope that helps!

Katy Gillett

So Able, I can’t find oregano oil in Bahrain and I cannot stomach raw garlic (I will vomit) so are there any other natural antifungals that you can recommend? I bought some extra virgin coconut oil yesterday and I got Aloe Vera capsules. I also have garlic capsules at home. Do these fall into the ‘wasting your money’ category or am I on the right track?

Would appreciate your help as you seem very knowledgeable! Are you a naturopath or nutritionist or something?

Katy

Katy Gillett

Hope – did you keep all fruits out of your diet for that long too or just 2 – 3 weeks? Surely fruits are too beneficial for health to keep out that long and do the low in sugar ones (berries, pears and green apples) really feed the candida that much? I am seriously missing my daily fruit intake. More than chocolate I could say!! (though I did have a dream about chocolate cake last haha… I didn’t even have much of a sweet tooth before!)

Hope

Katy, no I actually did cut out all the fruit for 5 weeks. I was just beginning to reintroduce Granny Smith apples the week that I was diagnosed w/ an advanced, asymptomatic UTI (it was cultured and it was bacterial, not fungal). So, really, in the past 9.5 weeks I’ve only had 2 halves of a granny smith apple. well…. and I did sneak 3 blackberries last week 😉 BUT that’s not a good example! lol 🙂 I don’t plan on truly reintroducing fruits until 2 more weeks from now at the earliest – and then only if my symptoms are *markedly* reduced. It’s not uncommon for anti-candida diets to eliminate fruits for 6 full weeks. Some do so longer. They’ll get back in my diet. I’m not planning on remaining fruit-free for life! I figure by the end of the summer I’ll be eating all of the low-sugar fruits again. I do love my berries 🙂

I was wondering, which nutrients in fruit are you concerned about missing that are not readily available in comparable vegetables? I can’t think of a single nutrient that I can get *only* from fruit. Folic acid, vitamin c, b vitamins, vitamin a, betacarotene, lycopene, potassium, magnesium… all these are widely available in veggies, nuts, gluten-free grains, or lean meats & eggs. The thing my body is *not* missing is the sugar 🙂

Hope

by the way, Katy, have I said weird things to imply that you were carrying a baby? I think, until a few days ago, I had you all mixed up with another “K” name! 😮 Anyway, sorry if I said something uncomfortable :/ Yeesh. I’m a dork.

I think I have you all straightened out now, though. You live in the UK, are vegetarian, and are hungry all the time. Right ? 😉 I’ve enjoyed chatting with you on the boards!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Advice please, I´m new to this’ is closed to new replies.