advice on what were to happen if i have a few beers for my mates birthday

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions advice on what were to happen if i have a few beers for my mates birthday

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  BenjiRixon 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

BenjiRixon
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 54

Hey guys

was just wanting some thoughts and ideas on this one. My diet that ive been on is best described as stage 1 foods (strict) and took a 2 week course of diflucan from the doc followed by 5 natural anitfungals a day and been doing this for 6 weeks now and fell awsome, i plan to contine the diet and antifunagals and same diet for another 2 months just to be certain to bring the candida to acceptable levels and will prob stick to the diet for as long as i can which im finding easy now.

the thing is ive got a mates birthday coming up hes 30 so its a big one and of course wants me to join in and drink. i was wondering what sorta damage would i do if i have a night out with him??

im guessing as a one off it wont do much as the majority of the yeast is probably already killed off and at normal levels. and it takes time to overgrow and a one off cant be that bad???

thoughts/suggestions please !!

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Oh, Benji, I’m sorry, but I just wouldn’t do it. Unless you’ve already introduced far less “risky” foods successfully. Have you tried any of the low sugar fruits yet? Have you tried any whole grain gluten foods, yet? Beers are made from wheat, as I’m sure you already know, and alcohol contributes to yeast growth as significantly or nearly as significantly as refined sugars would. So, several beers could be like downing several pieces of cake. If you haven’t spent time slowly reintroducing any off-limits foods yet and done so *without an increase in symptoms*, I wouldn’t take for granted that all the excess yeast has already been eliminated. I’m glad you’re feeling great, but you want to stay that way! I really think you’re basically skipping Stage 2 altogether if you jump in and drink several off limits drinks – even just for one night. I’ve been on this diet since April 1st, and I’m sure I’d be doing awesome at this point except that each time I’ve gotten to around the 5 week mark, I’ve needed an antibiotic. Each time the antibiotic sets me back to square one – with yeast symptoms and everything. From experience, I just have to say, you don’t want to see all your effort, commitment, and hard work for the last 6 weeks just go down the tubes for one night. I know it’s hard to not share a beer with your friend, but there’s a little saying I keep repeating to myself that I heard elsewhere – “No food tastes as good as healthy feels.” If you think it over and really decide that you’d rather start over again than skip this drinking night, that’s your choice. You’re a grown man and you have to do whatever you decide, weighing all the pros and cons. I just want you to know upfront that you shouldn’t consider yourself “cured” until you’ve been able to *slowly* return to a reasonably normal diet w/o symptoms. Even then, for the vast majority of us, alcohol, sugars, refined flours, and yeast will be rare indulgence for a very long time.

Hate to be such a downer. But, that’s my take on it.

2ndRound
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 9

Hi BenjiRixon,

I know before I went on a trip to Europe, to help avoid backtracking my progress my naturopath had me take a Digestive Enzyme. I think her reasoning was to make the food digest easier so as not to tax my digestive system too much. Maybe try to find some info on that?

Realize it WILL set you back. And a Beer?? Would probably set you back more than other options would. What about vodka and water? Also helps with the hangovers (dehydration) and has way less sugar content than other drinks because of no sugary mix, but you can have a less harmful drink in your system.

If you’re going to do it at least try to find the least harmful way.

Welcome to the long term battle of living your live vs living your treatment!

Hope you’re always one post ahead of me!!! LOL 😉

BenjiRixon

no its not a downer, im gratefull for your comment!

To be honest i never had bad symptoms before only abdominal pain, slight IBS and really tired all the time especially after eating. I’d say a 10 days-ish into the diet i started feeling good and have done ever since. saying that i did have a 2 week course of antofunagls to kick things off plus i still take 5 different anitfungals a day as well of lots of pro/pre biotics. last week i ate a small plate of potatoes the other day and felt fine after.

as for complex carbs etc im not gonna bother eating carbs anymore really. i dont miss bread, dont miss pasta but i do miss rice and brown rice is horrid to me so i just go without. As for fruits i dont bother as i havent got a sweet tooth lol!!

thats the reasons why i havent reintroduced foods from stage 2 really, quite happy (finally) on stage one stuff. and gonna stick with it untill i get really bored and try then.

i was just wondering surely one night of beers wouldnt put you back to square 1 tho ?? coz the yeast couldnt grow that rapid to undo weeks of hard work?

Thanks again

Ben

BenjiRixon

2ndRound wrote: Hi BenjiRixon,

I know before I went on a trip to Europe, to help avoid backtracking my progress my naturopath had me take a Digestive Enzyme. I think her reasoning was to make the food digest easier so as not to tax my digestive system too much. Maybe try to find some info on that?

Realize it WILL set you back. And a Beer?? Would probably set you back more than other options would. What about vodka and water? Also helps with the hangovers (dehydration) and has way less sugar content than other drinks because of no sugary mix, but you can have a less harmful drink in your system.

If you’re going to do it at least try to find the least harmful way.

Welcome to the long term battle of living your live vs living your treatment!

Hope you’re always one post ahead of me!!! LOL 😉

Very interesting indeed, yeah i hear what your saying about the beers, was thinking of having gin and tonic instead or something.

im guessing it will set me back but as mentioned im notsure to what degree really.

and hopefully it wont be a longterm battle, im feeling pretty sure on this one lol !

cheers

Benji

Hope

Oh, I’m so glad you were okay with my response! 🙂 I winced a little when I saw that you had replied, lol. I hoped you weren’t bent out of shape!

My symptoms have always been mild, too. At my worst, I still only scored a moderate score on a candida questionaire, and that was just after an antibiotic, like you. And none of my obvious symptoms appeared until I got pregnant and, I’m assuming, something changed in my pH or hormone level that triggered this onslaught on symptoms.

The thing is, most people can take antibiotics w/o having subsequent yeast issues. But, I can’t. Apparently, you can’t either. It’s just not “normal” for an adult to get oral thrush from one dose of an antibiotic, but I did. It showed something bigger was going on in my body than I had realized before. I *hope* I will get to the point that I can have a few bites of my husband’s desert now and then… someday, but even with my mild symptoms and even though most of them were triggered by antibiotic use and/or pregnancy, I don’t really think I’m going to be able to eat sweets or drink a glass of wine regularly like I did before. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised, but I’m not banking on it.

I have no idea if one beer, sipped throughout the night, will really set you back significantly. I have a pretty good idea that several beers would. If you do decide to drink, be on your guard to other triggers. A lot of times one trigger food/drink leads to others. Before you know it, you’re sitting at the bar with your 4th or 5th beer and several handfuls of pretzels, peanuts, or chips. I have heard that vodka and/or gin is one of the least offensive alcohols while on an ACD. Could you limit it to ONE? 🙂

BenjiRixon

Haha! Honestly the reply was fine, infact it’s just what I needed really a good honest hard opinion.

And this has now made me decided that I’m not gonna drink. He’s a good mate and I’m seeing him a bit later today and explain that I won’t be able to drink and I’m sure he’ll understand and prob take advantage and make me the designated driver for the night haha!! I’m now also wondering will I be able to drink on my birthday which is in November?? And it’s my 30th.

As for returning back to a normal diet in the end I think I’m definately gonna leave out all White flour products for life now tho but way down the line will eat the brown alternatives but really can’t see why I can’t return to a normalish diet then as I don’t eat sweet stuff anyway. My only downfall was having a few beers most nights which is def not gonna happen anymore. Plus my candida was due to the fact I had way to many antibiotics and way too many beers feeding it so thinking my plan should be ok.

I think the hardest thing for me is knowing when the candida is back down to normal levels, is there anyway to know without having more lab tests?

Benji

Hope

Ha ha – good for you!!! Woo hoo! 🙂

I think most people rely on slow reintroductions of food to gauge how quickly to move back to a normal diet. So, you’d try maybe half a green apple or some berries (watch for mold, though!) first and wait 3-5 days or so to check for symptoms. Then, maybe try a whole apple or a larger serving of berries and wait again. No reactions? Good! Then, maybe you try half a yellow grapefuit… wait 3-5 days. This will take a *long* time, but it’s good to remember that you’re goal in this stage is **testing** – you’re testing to see if your body really is rid of enough candida for you to be able to handle these foods. Start with the lowest sugars and least risky foods, slowly moving up. If you reintroduce too quickly, you may cross the line in a big way without realizing it until it’s too late. Lots of people keep food journals at this point – at least of the foods they’re testing, too, so they can see what may have triggered a return of symptoms if they do return. Alcohol is supposed to be one of the very last things tested, as is cane sugar. Sounds like you’re going to have to treat alcohol as your primary risk factor and something to be extremely careful testing and drinking. Sugar, I suspect, will be this way for me. I’m thinking, even after I’m well for a while and have successfully reintroduced most foods, anything with real sugar, honey, corn syrup, or maple syrup is going to be a huge splurge that I only have a handful of times a year. Maybe that’s too conservative an estimate, but it seems to make sense to me now.

I don’t know if you’re going to be ready for a beer on your birthday (mine’s November 9th, btw). That’s just too hard to say so far from now. But your best bet for making it happen is to be very, VERY good on the diet now and to make sure you handle your reintroductions in a slow, systematic way. Pay careful attention to your body’s responses. You might get there by November, but you’re still going to have to show restraint and not go wild drinking half a dozen beers 😉

BenjiRixon

Thanks again for the advice looks like ill be in for a lame birthday then haha! mines the 11th btw. i tried half a yellow grapefruit today and it was horrible so had to mix it with some natural yogurt. no reaction what so ever so far and to be honest dont think i will have one, wheres as before i was really tired straight after eating so hopefully things are looking good, only time will tell.

one thing im struggling to get my head around tho is-

say someone is overweight so they go on a diet. 2 months down the line theyve lost 1 stone. if that person had one night on the beer, no way in hell would they put all the weight back on. a little weight back on for sure, but i cant understand how if i had a few beers it’d set me back to square one, i just get it lol?

im not saying im gonna have some beers, just trying to understand it as the candida cannot grow that quick.

anyone?

Benji

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hi there, Benji.

I hoping that Hope doesn’t mind me stepping in here, but I think she’s taking a few days off this week.

Are you talking about gaining a lot of weight overnight or over a period of several days? One stone equals close to 14 pounds I think, you’re not talking about gaining 14 pounds over a 25 hour period are you?

In the meantime, I’ll just say that a lot of people will see a weight gain the morning after drinking alcohol.
    Since drinking alcohol can cause dehydration, and even mild dehydration can cause water retention, it makes sense that extra pounds would show up on your scales the next day. Drinking more water instead of less can actually help the problem; reason being, drinking water will rehydrate your body causing an end to the retention.

How’s the weather in SW Wales in July?

Able

BenjiRixon

Hey able! Course I don’t mind I was actually hoping you would pop along!

I think my last example wasnt quite clear. Ill try and make sense this time lol! If a dieter loses a load of weight over time and has one night on the beers they wouldn’t put all the weight back on just from one night. I was thinking this principle would be the same for candida. As in, I’ve killed a load of candida off then surely one night on the beers wouldn’t set me back to square one surely??

As for uk weather it’s always crap. Hoping to emigrate to Perth austrailia in a few years time as I feel the uk is going down the pan in more ways than one.

Benji

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘advice on what were to happen if i have a few beers for my mates birthday’ is closed to new replies.