Advice on the following flours

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Advice on the following flours

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Doggiemama 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

I’d be grateful if anyone could give their opinion on the following list of flours. Would any of these be suitable for stage 2 of the diet? There’s nothing wrong with buckwheat, teff, coconut, or millet flour, but I was just curious as to whether any of the following might be OK to test out.

Thanks in advance.

*Amaranth flour
    *Chickpea/Garbanzo flour
    *Chia Seed flour
    *Chestnut flour
    *Fava/Broad Bean flour
    *Hazelnut meal/flour
    *Jerusalem Artichoke flour
    *Lotus flour
    *Macadamia meal/flour
    *Mesquite flour
    *Oat flour
    *Pea flour
    *Pumpkin Seed flour
    *Quinoa flour
    *Yam flour
    *Guar Gum (not a flour)

I believe that all of these are gluten-free, but I do wonder how much starch or potentially other harmful ingredients that are beneficial to candida they contain.

goingnatural
    Topics: 38
    Replies: 249

These come from whole, nutritious foods. I don’t see a problem with them in moderation as a test food.

Try them one at a time. How long have you been symptom free?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’d consult able, but I believe the only flours allowed would include the nut flours and maybe the artichoke flour. Definite no to oat flour.

High starch in following flours:
    -amaranth
    -chickpea
    -oat
    -pea
    -quinoa
    -yam flour

If starchy flours were allowed on the diet, potato flour would be allowed.

-raster

goingnatural
    Topics: 38
    Replies: 249

raster wrote: I’d consult able, but I believe the only flours allowed would include the nut flours and maybe the artichoke flour. Definite no to oat flour.

High starch in following flours:
    -amaranth
    -chickpea
    -oat
    -pea
    -quinoa
    -yam flour

If starchy flours were allowed on the diet, potato flour would be allowed.

-raster

oat flour can come gluten free.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The thing you should be asking yourself with these flours is “how will they benefit me?”

There’s only one prebiotic flour out of all of these and its the artichoke flour. Prebiotics feed the beneficial bacteria in the gut.

Another thing to consider is the glycemic load of each of these. For instance, amaranth flour is rather high in the glycemic index while oat bran is rather low.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/10640/2

Another factor is its inflammatory rating. Yams are rather inflammatory for instance. Chestnuts are off the charts in the inflammatory rating:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3148/2

The lotus flour might be OK too, but I have never heard of it.

-raster

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

I figured most would probably not be beneficial.

So it seems that Artichoke, Hazelnut, Chia seed and Macadamia would be the best.

Doggiemama
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 204

I have a question. i ran across a post on the protocol thread…i read into it about 8 pages..LOL not finished yet.. anyway, i seen where either Raster or Able commented that Rice Bran Flour was good. like the oat bran..but rice bran. i found that interesting since i had not seen this posted anywhere else. I did a search on rice bran and found ..of course different brands with different carbs and amounts of sugars or no sugars. I found one with zero sugars and lower carbs. With that said..I am wandering why this has not been mentioned anywhere or encouraged?

also i seen where Able had said grapeseed flour was good also. but i did a search on it. its hard to find and very expensive. it sounded good though. the rice bran is cheap.

has this information changed?

there are sooo many flours out there and its really hard to know which is good and which is not. i honestly think there could be more than just 3 or 4 flours we are limited on eating. It would be nice to have different flavors to pick from since not everyone likes the same thing. I personally would like to find one i really like and stick with it..probably for the rest of my life. I truly miss my bread..and i know nothing will taste like regular breads but i sure would like to get as close as i could to its taste.(and not some NUT flavor or smell) so tis is the very reason i am asking about the rice bran. i think that would be a really good one for me to try and i think i might like it..since it isnt a NUT. it seems most are described as a nutty flavor. which nut are they talking about? LOL so many flavors of nuts out there.

as for guar gum..i have been trying to read up on guar gum, agar, and xanthan gum because alot of recipes have that in them. Xanthan gum is from corn..so thats a no no. Agar gum seems to have limited explanation on it. and guar gum comes from a plant i believe. if i had to pick one..i would go with guar gum. but i am not sure exactly where they would or wouldnt fit into the list. so when i dont know..i use it as a test food and see if it bothers me or not.

Also i know agave isnt on the list…but when you do a comparison for the organic blue agave powder and yacon syrup..it seems they are very closely related. i am sure Able can answer this on the differences. The powder is 100% inulin. Just trying to learn the differences here and why one is ok and another isnt.

So as M is asking..there are so many flours out there and what M listed isnt even half of them… i would love to have a list available to see a flour listed, and why it is or isnt good for candida. Like Raster listed…high glycemic index in Amaranth. i was unaware of that. now Rasters link is for the grain itself so is it the same for the flour too? When you look at Bob Red mills nutrition label..its different. 20 carbs and no sugars.
    sorry..didnt mean to ramble on but I had alot of these same questions..

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Millet’s high in goitrogens like soy, so you might wanna avoid that if your thyroid isn’t in great shape or your iodine intake is poor.

salexander
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 32

Doggiemama, agar comes from seaweed and it’s usually used as a vegan replacement for gelatin. Hope that helps!

Doggiemama

i have read up on agar and guar gum and xanthan gum..but the agar had less information. where does it fit in with the candida diet? is it good or bad?

again..if i use anything i will use guar gum. i actually did try it the other day and i didnt have any reaction at all..so i am good with that.
    and i dont have a clue where the gelatin comes from i had never heard of it either till recently.

Doggiemama

ok, I have done alot of reading tonight. i went through that entire 13 page protocol allowed food list thread again.

i found that brown rice bran flour is ok to use.

There isnt a “brown” rice bran flour. There IS however a rice bran flour.

so i assume this is why no one was able to find it…unless someone knows where it can be found..i didnt find a single thing. with that said, i am eager to try it out.

and i also understand that Teff, Millet, and Oat Bran are the best flours to use. all of those are NUTTY flavors. i have not tried Teff yet but have some ordered. the millet and oat bran were very strong in flavor to me. So not sure how Teff will go for me either but I am always trying a new flour so that i can have a good bread i like. I am a very picky eater with obviously very sensitive taste buds so what most everyone else tastes..i taste it 10 times stronger. for example: black pepper sets my mouth on fire. so i have alot of problems trying to eat really bold flavored foods. The very reason i am looking for a more bland taste. anyway..thats what i have discovered tonight on flours. Any further info is appreciated. i seem to be on a mission to find a flour i can use and will like. 🙂

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Doggiemama wrote: I am wandering why this has not been mentioned anywhere or encouraged?

I thought you had asked for and were following the strict diet, DM, guess I was wrong. But Bob’s Rice Bran is on the diet, and it’s definitely encouraged as it acts as a prebiotic feeding the beneficial bacteria. In fact, all of the flours on the diet have an explanation for why they should be eaten during the protocol.

What I’m saying is, anyone who is following the strict diet information won’t have to wonder which flour to use because specific flours are part of the diet.

Edit: I see in my inbox that you’ve asked for the strict diet, DM, I’ll get it to you ASAP.

Able

Doggiemama

yes thank you Able. i was unaware of this strict diet list you had until a week or two ago..and i am here reading often. Dont know how i missed that..so yes i have received it.Thank you and looks like i have alot more to read. woohoo..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Advice on the following flours’ is closed to new replies.