Advice for my Dad

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Advice for my Dad

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jo2212 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

LizzieLizzard
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Hi everyone,

I have only recently stumbled upon this forum, and wow! There is some great information here.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their journey, you probably don’t realise how many people you have helped/will help.

A bit about me… I am 31 years old, and without a doubt have leaky gut syndrome which I am sure candida overgrowth played a large part in.

Having been GF/DF/sugar free/additive free for a year I’m pretty sure it’s coming under control, and I have recently added probiotics which are already helping after only 3 days. Why I didn’t do that sooner I’m not sure now! lol. I’m also now grain, vinegar, caffeine & alcohol free.

Anyway, I was hoping for some advice from the veterans. My father who is 54 years old, has been severely unwell with chronic fatigue syndrome for 16 years. He is underweight, has had a lot of dental work done, had asthma as a child (quite badly), mono as an adult, chicken pox as an adult, and just general bad health most of his life.

He doesn’t have any obvious food intolerances, other than the inability to gain weight no matter what he eats.

Does anyone here relate to any of his history?

My Dad is the most amazing man, and father, despite his bad health and I am DETERMINED to do whatever I can to get to the bottom of things for him. I can’t bear the thought of him being this sick for any longer.

Thanks in advance,

Lizzie

Bucephalus
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 87

Hi Lizzie

You know what I would do? I would put him on the diet anyway.
    Just do a two week run. Maybe not be as strict. Let him eat a little more chicken maybe. But try him on raw veges, instead of cooked food. For instance, at least make him have raw vegetable and egg white lunch. That’s what I do, and I have raw vegetables and chicken at night, or I cook the vegetables in a chicken stir fry. On the weekends I’m cheat and I have lamb chops, but I’m going to give that up now.
    Also, once a fortnight I go to the bakery, which I have to try and stop also.
    But, it is amazing how much difference the diet has made to my health in just two weeks. I really, want to experiment in making at least 2/3’s of my meals raw vegetables, to see if I can accelerate healing.

there is three obvious improvements in only two weeks, and they are the most important changes I need too:
    1) Negative thoughts and depression have dramatically reduced, nearly all disappeared to be honest. That means basically, I’m not thinking about the past and my current situation, and I’m thinking more about my future and my goals, which, like good bacteria in the gut, crowds out negative thoughts in the mind.
    2) My anxiety is dramatically reduced in the same way my negative thoughts and depression has reduced.
    3) My bad breath has gone.

So, there are many illness that aren’t explained by medical science and now there seems to be a growing shift of finger pointing to the gut.

So, chop him up a big bunch of rinsed raw veges, and include it with a more healthy diet like yours and try that for two weeks. If he see’s benefits he will want to eat more like that even though it might be hard for him to start. For example, I was eating raw asparagus at work for lunch on Monday…Now that’s just not me, but I have seen the benefits, and I just consider it my medicine that I have to be on now.

David.

jo2212
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 48

Hi Lizzie,

I’m sorry to hear about your own and your Dads health. Has he had his liver and thyroid checked? A member of my family recently had a similar problem and began loosing weight, which it turned out was an over active thyroid along with a few other problems. It’s a good idea to check these things before starting the diet, especially if he will loose weight easily.

If he does go on the diet make sure he includes LOTS of oil to keep his calories up and stop him dropping under weight. Also check out different bread recipes with the allowed flours, snacks like buckwheat bread with (homemade) guacomole or aioli will probably be vital for him if he starts the diet.

Jo.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Advice for my Dad’ is closed to new replies.