ACV

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lucylu 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

winemom
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 45

Hi all – was off the diet too early and have symptoms back so I am going all green again. I have been reading a lot about braggs apple cidar vinegar and wondered if it could replace the water and lemon – just use water and acv?

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi winemom – what a shame, back to square 1 eh? Bummer! I got a bit carried away too and tried to go too fast… a wake up call isn’t a bad thing and might lead to a fuller recovery in the longer term?

As for ACV – definitely start it straight away, it’s great stuff! I take 2 dessert spoons in a pint of cold water twice a day – sip slowly. But if you’re just starting with it you might find that very strong tasting and also might get of a woozy reaction too if you still have a lot of yeast. I used to get quite sickly in my stomach after it and a bit light headed so pulled back and built it up gradually. Now I can swig it straight from the bottle at full strength and its fine!

In terms of replacing the lemon & water there’s no reason to do so – have both! I have 2 ACV and about 4 lemons (8 mugs) a day. I’m not keen on drinking straight water so I find it’s the best way to keep my fluids up.

Other uses for ACV…
    In your cooking obviously for marinades, salad dressing, mayonnaise.
    A splash in your bath water if you have skin issue.
    Gargle with it half and half with water for a sore throat (spit, don’t swallow).
    Put full strength on a wart and cover with a bandaid overnight – will be gone in a few days!
    I saw a thread on someone using it for vaginal thrush but they also mentioned strips of skin coming off, ouch! I’ve never had thrush thankfully so haven’t had to tackle that particular issue.
    And there’s a whole book of other uses for it too!

winemom

Thanks Lucylu! I drank it straight up at first lol now with water lol. Yes, back to square one – thank you for your support.

Lucylu

Oh know, you poor thing! Must have blown your head off! Not nice at all until you get very used to it! Enjoy!

Just out of interest – you mentioned before that you enjoy wine… and your username would suggest a partiality! Did you try it again too soon? Just wondering, because that’s exactly what I did. I do plan to enjoy it again from time to time but need to build up to that… and if I get a mild reaction then so be it.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

My girlfriend also uses ACV as a shampoo…

winemom

Lucy – the wine was part of going back to my old diet for sure and my coffee. These are the worst for me to give up. I am a bit depressed today I must say – I had my morning eggs with onion and green pepper and now still hungry, cant have my coffee and quite frankly have no clue what to eat – only chewing on plain lettuce comes to mind when I stare into the refrigerator – I am really down……. my tongue is all gross georgraphic looking again, I am a mess. On top of this – you know I don’t think my husband or my family think that this is real. My husband is not a healthy eater so it challenges me seeing all the food he eats and I cant have it. So I did start eating and drinking like I wanted and it all just came back again. I also have caught some sort of cold or virus so its adding to my fatigue. I might give in to a cup of coffee eventhough I know it is bad for me. So negative right now – sorry.

Lucylu

Don’t be apologising at all winemom, I know exactly how you feel… in fact I could have written that post myself a few weeks ago! My hubby eats really badly – the other week he ate 4 donuts in 1 sitting and wondered why he felt bloated afterwards! The wine is my main vice too. I had a few glasses over Christmas & New Year because I was struggling with that funny rash and was trying everything and it was still getting worse so I was like “to hell with it” I may as well have a few glasses. I knew as of New Year’s Day I’d be back on the wagon and super super vigilent with the diet & antifungals etc and sure enough within a week the low mood lifted. Alcohol really is a depressant and now that I’m out of the habit of it I really don’t feel like it. Never thought I’d say that! Also I’m feeling so well now that there’s no way I’d want to jeopardise it. That said, I plan to “indulge” every now & then in the future and pay the short term price as long as it doesn’t bring back a full blown infestation. I’m hoping if I’m “good” for a while longer and introduce other foods etc first including vinegar & the like then I should be at the stage when I can enjoy a drink without too serious a response.

I used to drink 3 large mugs of very strong fliter coffee every morning too and bar the headaches the first few days I haven’t missed it! That really surprises me cos I thought that would be one of the first “treats” I’d try but haven’t yet. I haven’t even bothered looking for an alternative which is v odd for me.

Hope you feel better soon and the low mood lifts. I try and keep some boiled eggs, veg soup, mashed swede, cucumber and other instant things in the fridge that I can grab if I’m hungry. I find I’m eating 4 meals a day and that’s working (for my system as well as around kiddie mealtimes etc). Breakfast 3 eggs/ buckwheat toast (with loads & loads of coconut oil – think it fills me up) and kefir at 8 or 9am. Something fishy (tin of sardines/ wild salmon/ cold prawns/ crabmeat – I keep a selection of each in stock) with an avocado and salad greens at 12 noon. A huge bowl of veggie slop at about 4. Dinner between 7 & 8. Then a small serving of greek yoghurt with sweetener late for a sweet treat. In between if I need a fix I have buckwheat crispbread with coconut oil… or half a cucumber. Not that thrilling I know my the crunch satisfies.

Anyway, I’m rambling but what I’m trying to say is that if you can manage to stay off the wine & coffee (both depressants) for a few days as well as eating regular protein you mood should lift and then you’ll stop the spiral you’re in. I didn’t even bother posting here for a while cos I kind of thought “whats the use” and also didn’t want to admit to Able I’d had a few glasses of wine!

Hope you feel better soon. Sending you a cyber hug across the waves.

Lx

Jackie2
    Participant
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 197

I drink/eat tons of ACV. I dip celery in it with garlic salt, dash of olive oil in a shot glass. When I’m done, I drink the shot….my kids enjoy the face I make.

I steam brocolli and pour ACV all over it. Salt and Pepper and Vinegar YUM. Same with cabage, cauliflour, etc. Everything taste better with ACV

winemom

I can’t tell you how much it helped me to read your response this morning. Thanks so much for sharing and being so honest. I know that you are right about the caffeine and I will be weaning off of it slowly. I just do a small glass in morning (after my lemon water of course) Sharing some food that you eat really helps me. I get overwhelmed with just looking at the list of allowed foods. I was glad to see you eat crabmeat – I was wondering about that as well and its almost sweet! I did want to ask you what mashed swede was , and if you would be so kind if you have the time to give me your vege soup recipe. I tried to eat oat bran the other morning, and don’t like the paste like substance, I was interested in your buckwheat toast – did you make that yourself?? Can I have that in stage one? Also, I don’t really understand what kefir is – is it a drink that looks like milk? It sounds gross lol – what does it taste like?? Lastly, you said that you get a little rash – what does it look like? Is it itchy? I have had these weird bumps on my legs from my ankles to my thighs they are very small and raised they look like tiny warts. The dr. said they were not warts and gave them some name. Needless to say, he didn’t cure them, at one point he said I could possibly have a parasite, but my stool did not show positive. I was wondering if this rash was like yours. Thanks again, have a very nice day Kathy —- Oh Jackie – did your dr. ever give you a “magic mouthwash” for your tongue? I have been using that since it has flared up.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Kefir tastes similar to yogurt or sour milk; if you add it to your greek yogurt, you won’t notice the taste. Others drink it straight (which I don’t want to do, lol).

Try to eat 3-4 serving meals. Add sides such as eggs, kefir/greek yogurt, veggies, buckwheat/coconut/teff bread, buckwheat, etc. The pumpkin pie muffin bread is really good. Even the oat bran has a poor texture, tough it out because it makes you feel good and improves your digestion/gut. Sweaten it with some stevia.

Consider the wine and coffee to be apart of the reason why you are here and in time, maybe in 6-12 months, you can have it again and it won’t set you back too much hopefully.

-Raster

prismaticmantis
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 21

Why is it that vinegar is not allowed but ACV is okay?

Lucylu

“I can’t tell you how much it helped me to read your response this morning. Thanks so much for sharing and being so honest. “

You’re very welcome – that’s kind of the point of this forum isn’t it? All being open & honest and trying to help each other through a similar struggle.

“I know that you are right about the caffeine and I will be weaning off of it slowly. I just do a small glass in morning (after my lemon water of course)”

If it was me I’d go cold turkey… same as I did with the wine day 1. As soon as I knew it just wasn’t an option it was far easier. It is hindering your progress quite a bit between the caffiene and the mold so really try to give it up if you can.

“Sharing some food that you eat really helps me. I get overwhelmed with just looking at the list of allowed foods. I was glad to see you eat crabmeat – I was wondering about that as well and its almost sweet!”

I know what you mean – it took me a couple of weeks to get past all the foods I wasn’t allowed and to just focus on the allowed list. I then started getting a bit creative! A really delicious thing I have nearly every day is Aubergine (eggplant), red onion & whole garlic cloves with salt & pepper & loads of coconut oil. Cover & roast on med heat until goes all mushy and this can be eaten hot or cold with fish or chicken or with loads of other plainer veg. It has a really strong rich sweet taste it’s lovely. Sample a tiny bit of crab first – I’m fine with it but I think some have a flare up.

“I did want to ask you what mashed swede was”

Swede is what we call rutabaga (or somehhing similar!) – like a turnip but purple at one end. Steam it in chunks and then mash with loads of salt, pepper, coconut oil. Really sweet too. Also Leeks are great – sautee in coconut oil. Sweet again! You get the picture?! Maybe that’s why I don;t crave much sweet stuff – cos all this is quite sweet in itself. I know there was another thread on storing food and most don’t – I do! I wouldn’t be able to cook all these tasty options and have 5 or 6 elements on each dinner plate if I had to make from scratch each night. So I make enough for 3 days or so at a time. I figure they’re coated in coconut oil which hardens again when cold, store in an airtight container and it’s fine.

“and if you would be so kind if you have the time to give me your vege soup recipe.”

I don’t have a recipe as such. I slow roast an organic chicken or duck about twice a week. I take all the meat off the bones and throw them back into the roasting dish with all the lovely sticky bits. Fill with water (to cover the bones) and cover & boil with loads of onion & garlic. About half an hour on a low heat gets all the chicken off the bones. The throw in all the veggies you can find in the fridge – leeks, celery, courgette, spinach, cabbage… I then usually add salt & pepper, maybe a little cayenne and then switch it off and leave to cool. then using you hands (clean of course!!) pull out all the bones (being v careful to get all the little bits) and then blitz with a hand blender. Some versions are tastier than others but the basic stock from the meat is what makes a big difference.

“I tried to eat oat bran the other morning, and don’t like the paste like substance”

I can’t stand it – it’s a bit like wallpaper paste! I’ve only made it a handful of times and add sweetener and a spoon of greek yoghurt. It’s palatable but I prefer my eggs!

“I was interested in your buckwheat toast – did you make that yourself?? Can I have that in stage one?”

Yes you can have it on stage 1, I make it myself. The nicest is – 3 cups flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 3 organic eggs, 1 cup water, pinch salt, generous swish olive oil. When I say 3 cups flour I randonly chose any 3 from the store cupboard between buckwheat, oat bran, flaxseed flour, coconut – 1 of each. Also I sometimes replace the cup of water with 1.5 cups kefir and that’s really nice. You’ll have to experiment and see what you prefer. I hated the cocunut bread at first but made it yesterday as a change and it was fine under egg with loads of coconut oil. I couldn’t eat it on it’s own though. The buckwheat crispbread I found in a healthfood shop – it’s an irish brand but I recommend you looking to see if you can find similar. Ingredients are just buckwheat, water, salt so it’s perfect – and comes in little packs of 5 so I keep them in my handbag as a snack if I’m out & about.

“Also, I don’t really understand what kefir is – is it a drink that looks like milk? It sounds gross lol – what does it taste like??”

Kefir is like a curdled milk – sounds disgusting I know but I love the taste! Tastes like buttermilk? A bit sour but really refreshing. I have to be strict with myself just to have the 1 serving a day lol!

“Lastly, you said that you get a little rash – what does it look like? Is it itchy? I have had these weird bumps on my legs from my ankles to my thighs they are very small and raised they look like tiny warts. The dr. said they were not warts and gave them some name. Needless to say, he didn’t cure them, at one point he said I could possibly have a parasite, but my stool did not show positive. I was wondering if this rash was like yours.”

I had 2 different rashes – 1 was guttate psoriasis caused by a strep throat (I thought it was candida related and was trying everything to cure it and got really disheartened! When I found out the source it was a relief but I did have to use a steroid cream and sunbed to get rid of it. The scarring is still there 6 weeks later. It was like dark red hives/ blotches all over me and would get hot & itchy in the evenings. The other rash is a reaction to when I take too many antifungals/ probiotic – and that start as itchy eyes & scalp and then I get prickly heat type rash on my back & tummy, sometimes on legs. It/s hot & itchy and I have to get to the sauna fast to shift it/ ease it.

Think that’s all your questions answered! I really hope you’re feeling better today mentally. If you can talk yourself round to a more positive frame of mind that’s half the battle I find!

Must dash,

Lx

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

That’s what rutabaga is? I’ll have to buy one on Saturday 🙂

Lucylu

I know, it took be a while to figure it out too! Able even posted pictures to clear up the confusion! It’s one of the best antifungals and is a good bulky addition to a dinner… kind of replaces the spuds for me either in chunks or mashed. Really tasty.

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

So ACV is allowed during the first stage? Why is it the only vinegar on the allowed list? What separates it from the others? I’ve had it a couple times with salad so far and it gives me slight indigestion. Is that to be expected?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ACV’ is closed to new replies.