About Probiotics and Kefir

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions About Probiotics and Kefir

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  wishnhope 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

GayBofill
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 34

Wishnhope,

I did get my grains from someone connected to thre Weston A. Price Foundation. I did NOT have to meet her in a public place (!) nor did she accept money. Some people DO charge but it’s bad kefir etiquette (I guess that’s the best way to put it) since something so life giving that is shared shouldn’t really be profited on. Unless someone has to travel to get to you or something. I guess I was lucky with the woman who shared hers with me. She said that someone shared theirs with her and she was just passing it on now to me.

GB

P.S. I’m big with editing tonight it seems! Wishnhope, I was told by the woman who gave me her grains that Cultures for Health is very reputable. They sell the freeze dried kefir grains that must be reconstituted once you get them. Also, given that they are freeze dried it may take a couple of tries with getting them up to snuff in producing good quality kefir. That’s normal from what I hear. Cultures for Health can offer you a lot of good information about their freeze dried grains. Also I was told that Freeze dried is better than powdered kefir culture starter.

catlover345
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 43

I’ve been watching those instrunctional videos.. it’s just so confusing.. you have to store it at a particular temperature and everything..

If you make mistakes.. can it be really unhealthy or dangerous to consume?

GayBofill

CatLover,

It is absolutely confusing! I agree. I found that when I tried to do it myself it took a few times before I learned and then I eventually had a bank of experiences to draw upon. For instance, when I first started, I used to let the kefir culture for 48 hours. Then I found that that produced too tart a product and also made for constipation. So now I culture it for 24 hours. You don’t have to worry too much about making mistakes. You probably will make some but you’ll learn. Temperature wise, just don’t keep it in too hot an environment or too cold an environments. Too cold halts the culturing process and too hot will kill it. Most homes or apts. are fine as they are.

Again, I was really intimadated when I first began so I understand your frustration in wanting to know how it’s all done and to do it right. I can tell you it is a process. But mostly everything in life that’s worth anything is.

Keep watching those videos on u-tube, read, try to be patient, get some grains and try to make a batch. The videos tell you the types of supplies to use (jars, non-metal strainer, sources of milk, etc.)and then you just have to try it. If you lived near me I’d give you some grains. I’m in NYC. If you are local I’ll share some.

Also, CatLover, I don’t think it would be dangerous reagarding the temperature. It’s not like eating bad chicken that’s been sitting out and you’ll get salmonella. Kefir is a cultured product so it’s been fermented. It’s probably along the same lines as pickeled products in that regard.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

GayBofill

There you go people. Professor Able delivers again. Read KEFIR MANUAL he just posted.

GB

wishnhope
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 80

sweet, thanks! 🙂

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

catlover345 wrote: About that video.. they instruct you to add things like cane sugar and dried fruit… what i want to know is can you just eat the grains raw?

When you make Water kefir with grains, you should always make it with grains because its cheap and infinately better for you moreover if you care for them, they will last you a lifetime. But you need not concern yourself about the sugar because the grains eat that and the finished product is just fermentation if kept long enough. Its like soda water!

When making kefir with grains, they will grow and multiple in short order. Yes you can eat them and they are like a super dose of probiotics. Or you can give them away to family. Water kefir is a good alternitive if you can not handle milk kefir. Personally I am going to do both. Right now I am doing water but here next week, ill start adding milk kefir to my diet as well.

wishnhope

Question about probiotics:

Able, you said that you wake up and take one really early in the morning and then go back to sleep. Do you just have it on your bedside table or do you go all the way to the fridge? Will leaving it on my bedside table overnight damage the probiotics a lot? I can’t see myself padding downstairs at 5am to take a probiotic capsule…

Thanks in advance 🙂
    -wnh

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Able, you said that you wake up and take one really early in the morning and then go back to sleep. Do you just have it on your bedside table or do you go all the way to the fridge? Will leaving it on my bedside table overnight damage the probiotics a lot? I can’t see myself padding downstairs at 5am to take a probiotic capsule…

I’m afraid I wouldn’t want to leave it out of the refrigerator more than an hour or so unless you sleep in an awfully cold bedroom. I suppose if you’d want to go to the trouble, you could place the probiotic container in a small cooler with ice and leave it by the bed at night. Just a suggestion.

Fortunately, I’m on the first floor of my house which is the floor the kitchen is on.
    But if it makes you feel better, I have to go to the other end of the house to reach the fridge, and once I banged my toe really hard on a table leg in the dark. Better? ; )

Able

wishnhope

Able900 wrote:
    But if it makes you feel better, I have to go to the other end of the house to reach the fridge, and once I banged my toe really hard on a table leg in the dark. Better? ; )

Able

lol! maybe a little

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘About Probiotics and Kefir’ is closed to new replies.