About Probiotics and Kefir

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions About Probiotics and Kefir

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  wishnhope 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

catlover345
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 43

I came across this “Probiotics are capsules or tablets that contain some of the same healthy bacteria found in kefir. The differences between kefir and probiotics are significant, however. While probiotics contain good organisms that can repopulate the digestive tract, they need to be kept dormant (refrigerated) and are not actively replicating and growing when they arrive in your intestines. In addition, they are not in any medium that will coat the digestive tract and help them to become established, but rather they are in the process of being dormant and are actually slowly decreasing in population as they die off over time.”

Is that true?

Also can you tell me how i make kefir? Are they special grains that i have to buy? I have heard you can make kefir from certain types of milk.. how does that work?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Kefir making has been covered on the forum a few times. Type “how to make kefir” after clicking the search button in the upper right hand corner of the website and this should find a good youtube post that johnny made a few months back.

-raster

catlover345

I’m still confused. It is apparntly to be made with goats milk.. but i thought all milk was out on this candida diet? also on a site that was posted to buy keifer grains a product to by goat milk grains was next to it.. does the goats milk have to be in grain form?

Can you not buy organic non cows milk kefir somewhere ready made? also.. what about eating the kefir grains instead of making a milk out of it? i am confused on how to make it.

Marbro
    Replies: 252

You dont need milk to make Kefir, you can make water Kefir as well.

here is a video from youtube on how to do just that. I just picked the first one that came up but their might be plenty more and some better if you take the time to look.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7svkQuUYYc

catlover345

About that video.. they instruct you to add things like cane sugar and dried fruit… what i want to know is can you just eat the grains raw?

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

catlover345 wrote: I’m still confused. It is apparntly to be made with goats milk.. but i thought all milk was out on this candida diet? also on a site that was posted to buy keifer grains a product to by goat milk grains was next to it.. does the goats milk have to be in grain form?

Can you not buy organic non cows milk kefir somewhere ready made? also.. what about eating the kefir grains instead of making a milk out of it? i am confused on how to make it.

It can be made with any milk, although goat’s milk has benefits over cow’s milk. Milk in general contains a large amount of lactose, which is why it’s not allowed. Kefir bacteria feed on lactose (or the sugar from dried fruit in water kefir), so the finished product is far lower in sugar and instead full of massive amounts of probiotics, the benefits of which outweigh any residual sugars. One reason to make it yourself is to guarantee there’s less sugar by fermenting it long enough. There are few guarantees with commercial products.

You can eat the grains, although I’m not sure what a suitable “dosage” would be. In any case, you’d need to allow them to survive/grow in milk or the water recipe, and it’d be hard to supply even a teaspoon a day without a massive starter amount.

catlover345

You said “few guarantees with commercial products” … so there is some then? do you know of any commeical product that exists with these gaurantees?

raster
    Participant

You can buy pre-made kefir at most health food stores. Some, depending on the quality, may contain higher levels of natural sugars than others.

If you want to make it at home, the best choice of milk is unpasturized goat’s milk. Unpasturized milks contain more enzymes and probiotics than pasturized milk. However, it may be difficult to find unpasturized milk depending on where you live.

We allow kefir and greek yogurt because they contain probiotics, which is the single most important thing you need for your recovery. But if you take probiotics without doing the strict diet, they will simply just die-off and not remain in the body very long.

-raster

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Can someone please explain to me about probiotics and kefir.
    Is it true that the probiotics are not multiplying in the intestines and starting up a new and fresh colonies of bacteria but die slowly away?

Is Kefir bringing a good bacteria into the battle which survives and multiplies?

thanks
    Thomas

wishnhope
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 80

so I just bought some kefir (apparently it’s not pronounced in the romantic sounding “ke-feer” but more like kiefer sutherland from 24.. the perils of online research). I watched the youtube vids to make it for next time. It looks absolutely gross.. am I supposed to pass it through a strainer before I use it? Can I use the grains from the store bought one that I just got? Or do I have to get them somewhere else?
    I was picturing actual grains, not chunky bits of bacteria..
    Doesn’t the milk go off sitting on the counter?
    Any suggestions from any kefir pros? thanks kindly,
    -wnh

raster
    Participant

Thomas: I wouldn’t worry about that, kefir contains probiotics which is a good thing. However if you feed the candida with sugar, bad foods, etc, the flora in your gut won’t thrive as good as possible.

wishnhope: You don’t have to put the store made stuff through a strainer. I don’t know if you can buy grains at your store, most stores don’t have them. There is kefir starting kits which are more common at stores. The milk ferments so it doesnt go bad unless you leave it out too long (for more than 3 days). Making homemade kefir is a little tricky because your household temperature has to be above 70 degrees F. I tried to make kefir and it didn’t come out good at all.

The store bought pre-made stuff should look like a mixture between milk and yogurt. You can drink it straight, add it to yogurt, whatever you want.

-raster

wishnhope

ok, i’ll skip the straining then. I guess I’ll just give it a go and try to drink it as is. It just seems more like firm yogurt and not so much a drinkable texture.. thanks for the reply 🙂

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

There’s a great recipe for a kefir smoothie on the recipe forum, that includes oat bran, cinnamon, and a little stevia. You can always change up the ingredients. It’s actually quite delicious. Might make it easier to drink.

GayBofill
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 34

To CatLover and anyone else who wants to know about kefir production.

I began drinking kefir as a result of coming to this forum and learning about its beneficial probiotic properties in treating candida. I am lacdtose intolerant but I do not get any negative reaction to the kefir I make myself at home. I began making kefir with goat’s milk but due to the cost I could not continue buying it so I switched to cow’s milk. I like to use 2% fat free personally, but whole milk is fine as well. I try to buy organic milk or at least antiobiotic and hormone free cow’s milk. You can make kefir with other types of milk such as cocount which I’ve tried but didn’t care for the results. I’ve never tried water kefir.

As with everything I do, I spent HOURS online researching kefir and educating myself. There are many good u-tube videos that helped me. Here is one I like in particular but I’ve probably seen them all. (You can also just google “Kefir production” and see what comes up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBtkxVrNyyo

A good website for learning is CULTURES FOR HEALTH. They also sell keifr grains. Kefir grains are what you feed milk to begin the growth of kefir. You can buy freeze dried grains (grains is really not a proper term because kefir grains are not like a grain of rice. A kefir grain is actually a living thing. They look just like cauliflower.) But, you can also obtain grains from someone who is willing to share theirs with you. This is a big thing wih making kefir. After searching for someone I could get grains from, I was directed to this website THE WESTON A. PRICE FOUNDATION. If you google that and put in “kefir grains” or “sharing kefir grains” you can come up with people in your local area who will give you some. You can merely put in your zip code and it will bring up a list.

Learning about kefir takes time. It’s a huge subject. I found it fascinating though and well worth the time I spent educating myself. Making your own kefir is also a nuturing act and I would recommend taking the plunge and trying it yourself. The information you find on line will be a big help to you. I would not recommend store bought kefir because the probiotic benefits are fewer then what you get when you make it yourself.

I’d be willing to answer questions if you have any on making kefir. I was very intimidated at first so feel free to ask even the most mundane questions. Goodluck!

P.S. Need to edit what I said about kefir grains being a LIVING thing. Probably put my foot in my mouth. Wrong english. In my mind I attribute the grains as having life because they produce a product – kefir. However I don’t want anyone having concerns about it being “alive” like an organism is. I have no idea about the chemistry or biology of kefir grains. I just know it helps.

wishnhope

Ok, thanks M I’ll check out that recipe.
    GayBofill, did you try the site that you mentioned? Or did you use the freeze dried ones? I googled and found people offering kefir grains for 6-10 dollar a tbs and that you had to “meet them in a public place”.. seemed a little dodgy to me. I’d love to just buy them from a reputable business?
    Thanks 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘About Probiotics and Kefir’ is closed to new replies.