Able, Will I Ever be Able?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Able, Will I Ever be Able?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mygutleaks
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 166

Hi, I am new to this board and really appreciate the great moderators, I have learned a lot especially from Able and Raster and hopefully with your information, will be able to help myself and my wife. I have a question for you, if you have some time. I have started the candida diet as I am sure I have leaky gut. I have had worsening allergies for 15+ years now, which began as a teenager, when I took antibiotics frequently. My symptoms include acne, sinus problems, and sometimes headaches. About 5 years ago I got a skin prick test, and found out I had allergies to many foods. I cut out those foods and discovered others along the way, to the point I was able to clear my skin 100% just by not eating those foods, and my sinus problems disappeared completely. I began getting LPA shots hoping to cure the allergies, and they have not worked for me (http://www.dma.org/~rohrers/allergy/epd_faq.htm) after almost 10 shots – for those that are not familiar the shots are discussed at length here. They are only offered by maybe 30 docs in the whole US (called LPA in US, EPD in England).

On the board, it says the LPA shots won’t work if you have candida, parasites or leaky gut. So after much research on candida and leaky gut, I decided to begin the diet, hoping then the shots would work.

My problem is, I am allergic to many of the foods that are recommended on the candida diet including many greens, coconut, garlic, eggs, poultry, yogurt (casein), cinnamon and other spices even mild ones. I am not allergic to the allowed grains, brown rice, millet, quinoa, beans. Although Able, you would say to avoid those in stage 1. So I have been eating tons of Buckwheat. So my problem is, there is very little I can eat without having a reaction.

My question is, if I eat the above and have a reaction, am I preventing myself from ever healing my leaky gut? From my research I gather that every time you eat a reactionary food, you set your progress back considerably and prevent the holes in the gut from healing. However, if I eat only grains, and perhaps a few non-allergic veggies, and fish, I will become malnourished and die. I really want to heal my leaky gut, and greatly appreciate any advice you can provide.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

My leaky gut was so bad that I once reacted for hours after ganja, almond butter, cigarrettes, all grains, and vinegar. 4 months into the diet, I reacted to sunflower seeds only and didn’t get this before. All I can say is that your body will adjust to the allergies differently; you will get some new allergies while others go away. For me, the diet has completely cured my allergies to the point where I don’t have them at all anymore. During phase 1 of the diet, it was also hard for me to do yardwork because the grasses in the yard contains molds, and most dead/dying plant material contain mold. This has completely gone away for me.

I never had allergies in my whole life, and at age 28 I finally get them when I have candida!

I used to feel the same way about the grains…they didn’t give me a bad reaction really when I had candida, but once I stopped eating them and tried it again, I got a reaction to a food I once didn’t have one to. Sorta strange, but I think its because my body got healthier.

All I can say about the allergies is to trust your body and the signs that it gives you. Being in tune with your body is very important; your body is telling you something when this happens. The reaction means that your body doesn’t like it, but it doesn’t necesarily mean that it’ll set you back ages and ages…maybe just a few hours or a few days.

I don’t know how to solve your diet problems, but a dietician may be able to help. Also naturopathic doctors have ways to help you gain back a footing on your allergies so that you can once have those foods again.

What leaky gut symptoms do you have? How long?

mygutleaks
    Participant

Hi Raster, thank you for your reply. The only symptoms of leaky gut I have are food sensitivies and rashes like acne and other kinds of red bumps mostly on my face, and chest and back sometimes, but mostly the face. And a runny nose that will turn in to a sinus infection if i eat the troubling foods for more than a few meals. Also sometimes wheezing. I don’t have any of the other symptoms, like IBS, constipation, etc. I have had these issues since probably 1993.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello. Very creative user name, considering your post.

Eating the grains will feed the Candida, and as Raster wrote, and probably set you back a few days; but that’s if you eat the grains for one day, if you’re eating them every day, you’re basically not on the Candida diet.
    I suggest that you eat all the green vegetables that you’re not allergic to, adding rutabaga and turnips if you can eat those. Instead of eating beans for at least a month, I would simply eat chicken or fish for protein, organic when possible.
    You can use the coconut bread recipe on the forum to make bread with brown rice bran flour mixed with oat bran. You don’t need the coconut flour, and I don’t see why you couldn’t use egg substitues, unless there are items listed in the ingredients that would have a negative effect.
    Bob’s Red Mill is organic and the safest brand. Amazon carries this brand. You can eat the bread at least three times a day when you need to.

Digestive bitters stimulate the intestinal wall’s self-repair mechanisms, so I would start taking Swedish Bitters. Look for the glycerin based, non-alcohol/non-ethanol type.

Since you can’t really be completely on the diet, I would go ahead and start a probiotic, also kefir or homemade yogurt if you can eat these. A good probiotic is MegaFlora made by MegaFood.
    A member by the name of Johnny22 has an easy and simple recipe for making homemade yogurt. You can view it on this link (near the bottom of the page): http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm4376_YoghurtsHow-much-can-I-have.aspx#post4376

Prebiotics are foods or herbs that will feed the beneficial bacteria, and I would try to get as many of these as possible. Some natural prebiotics are fresh garlic, greens, onions, barley, asparagus, organic oat bran or brown rice bran, broccoli, and the herb yucca root, burdock root, and chicory root.

Let us know if you have other questions.
    Able

mygutleaks
    Participant

Hi Able, thank you very much for your feedback. I will start on the bitters asap. I thought brown rice would feed candida? Is brown rice ok? I am allergic to milk (casein), should I still eat yogurt? I could make yogurt with unsweetened almond milk. Would almonds be ok if they are steam sterilized? Also, about yogurt, my wife is eating the Greek yogurt, plain, but it has 9g of sugar. This is ok? I have been on probiotics for over 3 months now, and am taking 75 – 100b per day of the Klaire Labs Therbiotic complete.
    Much appreciated,
    Mike

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

The Klaire Labs Ther-biotic contains a good number of strains. But you can’t really measure a good probiotic by the mg content, but rather by the count or billions of flora building beneficial bacteria it contains. With the Ther-biotic brand, it looks like one capsule contains about 25 billion, but this isn’t enough to cure a Candida infestation. I would raise the amount slowly until you reach 180 to 200 billion a day. Very slowly. You should take these on an empty stomach by the way, late at night or early in the morning works well.

After a month or so on this brand, I would change the brand in order to obtain different strains. Next time try to find one containing Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 (instead of just Lactobacillus acidophilus).

You asked about ‘brown rice’ … brown rice and rice bran are not the same thing. We all know what brown rice is, but rice bran consists of only the layer that’s between the inner rice grain and the hull. It only makes up about 8% of total weight, but includes the ‘germ’ which accounts for around 60% of the total nutrients found the rice kernel. Besides being alright for the diet, it also acts as a prebiotic because it feeds the beneficial bacteria in the intestines.

Most people who are allergic to cow’s milk can drink goat’s milk, if you can, you can make kefir or yogurt from the goat’s milk. Stores such as Walmart are starting to sell this, so it shouldn’t be that difficult to find, as I stated, if you can tolerate it.

If your wife has Candida and she’s been eating the yogurt you mentioned all along, she should probably go off of it for about two weeks. Then start it back very, very slowly with only a few teaspoons the first time. Increase the amount slowly, watching for reactions.

About the almonds, even steamed I would only eat them every other day.

Able

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Able, Will I Ever be Able?’ is closed to new replies.