A Gradient of Pesticides in Non-Organic Veggies (Chart)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice A Gradient of Pesticides in Non-Organic Veggies (Chart)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I found this earlier, and thought it might be helpful for those of us who can’t always buy exclusively organic produce. It goes from worst to best in terms of pesticides for 40-something conventionally-grown produce items.

http://www.grinningplanet.com/2006/update-2005-05-24/pesticides-in-food.htm

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Interesting.

I like this quote from the article->

You’ll note that fruits dominate the list of foods with the most pesticide residue. The main reason for this is that consumers have become very, very picky about fresh produce, and growers have discovered that, from an economic standpoint, it makes sense to douse everything with toxic chemicals so the fruits are completely blemish-free

Good thing is if your on the candida diet fruits don’t really fall in diet too much So this shouldn’t concern most. I have never understood the american obsession with perfectly looking aesthetically pleasing food. Its the same reason they bleach white rice and sugar.

I have also read recently that the nutrient levels in non-organic produce are really not that different from organic produce. Good news.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I’ve read the opposite regarding nutrient levels, but I imagine it depends on the farming operation where the produce is grown. Heavily commercialized organics (Trader Joe’s, etc) are likely grown in soil that’s less rich than smaller-scale organics (farmers’ markets, etc), due to demand. Regardless, eating a lot of produce is inherently healthier than NOT eating a lot of produce, so I would say just do your best.

Also, the picky-consumer thing is totally true. I help run an organization that makes free meals for the homeless on a weekly basis, and a lot of the donations we receive from farmers at the local farmers markets are “too ugly” to sell: apples with scars, ripped or hole-y swiss chard, peaches that have those weird dents from being poked by a branch early in the growth period, etc. They’re totally fine, but nobody wants to buy them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘A Gradient of Pesticides in Non-Organic Veggies (Chart)’ is closed to new replies.