A few ants got into my water kefir. Is it still safe?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions A few ants got into my water kefir. Is it still safe?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Cheesey 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

yogajedi
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 43

Hi,

A few ants (5 or so) got into my water kefir. I skimmed them off. Is that batch still safe to drink? Are the grains still safe to use?

I am in the habit of covering the jar with a coffee filter and rubber band, but one of my children got into it. I’ve since moved the jar much higher.

Thank you,

Brett

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

yogajedi;43647 wrote: Hi,

A few ants (5 or so) got into my water kefir. I skimmed them off. Is that batch still safe to drink? Are the grains still safe to use?

I am in the habit of covering the jar with a coffee filter and rubber band, but one of my children got into it. I’ve since moved the jar much higher.

Thank you,

Brett

Extra protein, Id say!

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I think a child is probably more likely to create a cross-contamination issue than an ant is. I would keep it and just be wary of any changes.

approximately_me
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 186

I wouldn’t worry about. There are so many strains of bacteria and yeast in kefir that a couple ants are not going to cause a problem. A kefir made from grains is much more stable that way than one grown from starter powder. The sheer diversity of microbes makes it resistant to pathogens (which is why we want it!).

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

UGH! they got in mine once too! I just cleaned them off and gave them a good scolding with a large dose of ant spray where they came into the room >:(

If they got *in* to the batch, you might want to dump that batch (not the grains, just the water), if you’re feeling paranoid or grossed out (I would!). Luckily mine just got up into the screw top of the jar, but not actually inside.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I used to eat ants when I was 6 years old in kindergarten. I was placed in time out for a long time afterwards. The ants shouldn’t harm you.

Did you know we consume many insects each year in our food? They somehow make it into our food so we eat spiders, caterpillers, etc. all of the time.

-raster

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

raster;43703 wrote: I used to eat ants when I was 6 years old in kindergarten. I was placed in time out for a long time afterwards. The ants shouldn’t harm you.

Did you know we consume many insects each year in our food? They somehow make it into our food so we eat spiders, caterpillers, etc. all of the time.

-raster

There’re also guidelines for a ‘tolerable’ amount of faeces in food.

Tasty.

The world would be in a much better position in terms of food security if we started eating insects.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A few ants got into my water kefir. Is it still safe?’ is closed to new replies.