9 Months!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  msmofish 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

So if the candida diet/protocol was a charming and virile gentlemen caller rather than a holistic medical treatment, I’d be ready to have our lovechild any second. I can’t believe it’s been nine months.

Curious about my progress? For context, read:
    8-month update
    7-month update
    6-month update
    5-month update
    4-month update

My only remaining symptom is tinea versicolor. It had entirely cleared up a couple of months ago, but came back after a month of eating slightly too much fruit (dumb). You can read about that in my 8-month update above. I probably would have made better headway this month, because I was being somewhat more disciplined about that again, but I just spent a week in my hometown in Pennsylvania, and made some less-than-stellar decisions about fruit consumption (again, dumb). My mother has really lovely Mennonite neighbors who run a farmstand and grow, among other things, watermelons and raspberries, and goddamn it, everything is so good. And it’s apple season there. I didn’t gorge or anything, but I ate more than I should have. I stayed on probiotics, VCO, and brussels sprouts while there, cooked a lot more often than I have been (since I was making food for my mother and a friend as well as for myself most of the time, it encouraged me to eat more regularly), and ate very little of the diet’s approved carbs (I had buckwheat hot cereal twice and made tiny buckwheat pancakes once). I think these factors helped balance out my fruity indiscretions (not a gamble I recommend, by the way). My digestion doesn’t seem to have suffered, and I didn’t notice any other symptoms returning. I had some headaches while I was there, but they were obvious tension headaches and I suspect that was more a result of spending so much time around my mother and driving a lot than anything dietary.

Now that I’m back in California, I’m planning on staying off fruit entirely for at least a couple of weeks, before I start eating tiny amounts a few times a week again. It’ll be easier to have discipline about this as the summer season wanes…goddamn stone fruit are so seductive, particularly when they’re free (something that happens in my life a lot). Keeping with the diet/protocol-as-baby-daddy metaphor, peaches would be the homewrecking interlopers. Instead of lipstick on my collar, they’re leaving tinea versicolor on my shoulders. Pretty incriminating. Before anyone suggests it, I’m not going to treat it topically — it’s my easily-visible barometer of my progress/setbacks. It’d be easy to lie to myself about (or subjectively interpret) symptoms like lethargy and digestion and mood and such, but spots on skin are spots on skin.

Since I’m always learning in this process, here’s some MORE things I’ve learned:
    -Diet soda gives me a headache. I mean, duh, but I drank a diet root beer at a fancy brewery in Pennsylvania and a Coke Zero on a flight, and it happened both times. Fuck you, aspartame.
    -I’ve been thinking in the past month or so that a slightly overactive bladder was a candida symptom that’s cleared up. I noticed months ago that I wasn’t getting up to pee at night as often, but it didn’t occur to me that it could be candida-related until recently. Maybe it’s not, though its reduction occurred on the same timeline as a lot of my other symptoms improving/disappearing.
    -There are still people who ask me “Well, have you seen a doctor?” and think I’m being foolish for self-treating for a “fake”/nebulous condition, but simultaneously, there are far more people who have told me they really respect what I’m doing and that my dedication and discipline inspire them.
    -I need to spend some time thinking about people’s reactions to my weight loss this year. This is the first year of my life since I was probably 8 years old that I haven’t attempted to lose weight, but I’ve lost some anyway, of course. I’m under 200 pounds for the first time since 6th or 7th grade (started the diet at 228, and was 255-ish at my heaviest a few years ago before I quit eating gluten), and I’m getting a lot of compliments on my appearance, specifically my weight loss, and I’m conflicted about it. I hate that a lot of people seem to think this “diet” is a weight-loss diet, when that isn’t the point for me at all. I’m happy about my health currently because I FEEL better than I have in my entire life, while other people seem to just be glad that I conform much more closely to Anglo-normative beauty standards, with little interest in my health/wellness. Not to get all social-justicey on everyone, but I think on some level I feel complicit in fat-shaming by gradually dropping toward a weight bracket at which I won’t be a direct victim of such attitudes. I suspect I’m approaching my body’s “healthy” weight, since I’m actually getting healthy finally, but it’s new territory for me. It’s definitely something I need to think through and, I hope, find some resolution.
    -Now that I don’t have brain fog, I have time to fixate on intense subjects all the time :p
    -Baba ganoush makes life worth living.
    -Toasted sesame oil + cajun seasoning = AMAZING
    -I can make it through a whole week in rural Pennsylvania with my mother while stone-cold sober. I actually wasn’t sure.

Questions/comments/critiques/sonnets of praise welcome, as always.

msmofish
    Replies: 96

!!! THANK YOU !!!
    Your wit & candor are so refreshing !

I’m going back east next week & am terribly sad I can’t yet partake of the amazing apples in season now, how I miss them !!!

Do you have a baba ghanoush recipe to share ?
    A local Armenian market makes THE best baba ghanoush I’ve ever had, I’ve been afraid to go in while on this diet cuz I don’t want to know if there’s sugar in it or an ingredient I can’t have yet. It’s SO damn deelish !

How much VCO are you consuming ? And only through cooking or ingesting solo as well ?

Thanks so much for sharing your experience strength & hope !!
    all the best
    Mo

shayfo

Most baba ganoush contains tahini, which you probably shouldn’t eat at 4 months. You could make your own without it and see if you like it that way — just roasted eggplant, EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and maybe paprika or cumin or something. I put smoked paprika in the batch I made in Pennsylvania, which was a mind-blowingly good idea.

For a while, I was only ingesting VCO through cooking and/or adding on top of hot cereal, but recently I’ve conceded to keeping it in the fridge during hot weather to avoid how gross it is when it’s half-melted, and I’ve been eating more as a result. I would guess that between cooking and eating it straight, I’m probably consuming 3-6 tablespoons most days.

I should find a Middle Eastern market to buy my baba ganoush from instead of goddamn Whole Foods, but Long Beach isn’t really the right part of LA County for that. Maybe I’ll venture out farther.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

One thing you should look at is the link between consuming aspartame and gaining weight. You’ll be surprised about how many articles and studies there are on the subject. It would be better to consume the non-diet stuff that contains sugar. Anyways its not a major problem for you right now but don’t play into the mindset that diet means its better.

-raster

msmofish

tahini is on my want list !
    So I will hold off until I’ve tested it for sure

I’m in Los Feliz aka Little Armenia aka Thai town so I have to keep my eyes closed when I drive around here cuz the temptations are too great. Slowly but surely I can enjoy again, operative word being slowly.

My local mkt I know adds greek yogurt & lots of garlic to their baba ghanoush. Okay now I’m salivating….slowly but surely

shayfo

One thing you should look at is the link between consuming aspartame and gaining weight. You’ll be surprised about how many articles and studies there are on the subject. It would be better to consume the non-diet stuff that contains sugar. Anyways its not a major problem for you right now but don’t play into the mindset that diet means its better.

The times I mentioned drinking diet soda in this update are the only times I’ve had diet soda in years. I generally do not consume obvious poisons. I thought it relevant to point out that aspartame made me feel shitty the couple of times I’ve had it recently because I know Jorge has mentioned in his posts that he drinks diet soda “without problems” and I want people to be getting more well-rounded information.

I’m in Los Feliz aka Little Armenia aka Thai town so I have to keep my eyes closed when I drive around here cuz the temptations are too great. Slowly but surely I can enjoy again, operative word being slowly.

There are some REALLY good restaurants in your area. Le sigh.

msmofish

don’t diet sodas dissolve batteries ??
    poison is right !

Too many good restaurants is right along with the fact that I’m a caterer & foodie !!
    This diet has been REALLY tough to say the least
    ….slowly but surely

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Official Sonnet of Praise

Damn woman, I knew those “new” sexy vibes coming from your corner weren’t my imagination.

Way to go, Hot One.

Sean

PS: Your story was a lot more fun than Kelly’s article.

shayfo

Really? That’s not in iambic pentameter, or even in sonnet form. You can choose from Elizabethan, Italian, whatever styles, but don’t embarrass yourself like this in such a richly literary environment as The Candida Forum.

:p

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

shayfo;49063 wrote: Really? That’s not in iambic pentameter, or even in sonnet form. You can choose from Elizabethan, Italian, whatever styles, but don’t embarrass yourself like this in such a richly literary environment as The Candida Forum.

Who, me? Be embarrassed?
    Whoops, goofed again.
    Still learning that trick.
    The correct writing form…
    is taking a break.

(Yeah yeah, I know I have five feet instead of ten, and the foot is all screwed, but it’s not all THAT bad is it? Come on, you gotta gimme that at least.)

shayfo

Able900;49193 wrote:

Really? That’s not in iambic pentameter, or even in sonnet form. You can choose from Elizabethan, Italian, whatever styles, but don’t embarrass yourself like this in such a richly literary environment as The Candida Forum.

Who, me? Be embarrassed?
    Whoops, goofed again.
    Still learning that trick.
    The correct writing form…
    is taking a break.

(Yeah yeah, I know I have five feet instead of ten, and the foot is all screwed, but it’s not all THAT bad is it? Come on, you gotta gimme that at least.)

Unacceptable.

msmofish

looking forward to your 10 month update !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘9 Months!’ is closed to new replies.