8 Months!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  msmofish 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Today marks eight months since I started treatment for my candida overgrowth. If you want background on my story or to see the progression of my treatment, read my seven-month update, six-month update, five-month update, and four-month update. Not to be a jerk and make all you brain-foggy folks out there read, but repeating myself is boring, and reading my updates is generally not :p

So, I fucked up this month. Reintroducing foods is sort of a slippery slope, and I kind of fell on my ass. Although I didn’t mention it in my seven-month update, since I didn’t want to be a bad influence on people chomping at the bit to reintroduce fruit, I had eaten really tiny amounts of fruit. We have a goji berry tree at my house, so I would eat 5-10 goji berries a few days a week. I also ate a few blackberries from our blackberry bush, but literally only one or two in a week. We have nectarine and peach trees that grow the tiniest fruit ever (total volume equals about 3-4 tablespoons per fruit), and I ate three or four of those over the course of a month. I really think eating those fruits in that quantity was totally fine.

But then I got really busy about a month ago, and two things happened: I got reeeeally burnt out on cooking, and I started making excuses about making bad decisions. I started eating fruit a little more often, though still in pretty small quantities and only three or four days a week. I ate carrots a few days a week. I ate way way way too much goddamn almond butter, because it’s so convenient and tastes good on celery, which is one of the only vegetables I can eat raw (not because of candida/digestion issues, but because raw crucifers are bad for my sad sad thyroid), and raw vegetables are incredibly seductive when I don’t want to cook. I ate sunflower seeds from 7-11 a couple times, which are coated in shitty oils (cottonseed and/or safflower and/or peanut). I ate way fewer vegetables because I didn’t want to cook them. I would go to work or to bed hungry because I couldn’t talk myself into cooking. I also drank zero-calorie soda a bunch of times, which is probably the only thing more disgusting than regular soda :p

This went on for about three weeks. None of these decisions sound THAT bad on their own, really, but with their powers combined, I’ve noticed that I have a small amount of tinea versicolor again (ugh!). My digestion is a little weird right now, but it’s hard to tell what’s related to my lazy eating and what’s related to being on my period (which my uterus takes as an opportunity to bully my digestive system for a week). Pretty great. My energy levels are slightly less than optimal, though in all fairness, I AM a lot busier right now than I have been my entire treatment. Oddly enough, my thrush has cleared up completely (go figure).

Another dumb thing I did: I started testing pecans this past Sunday morning, and put a tablespoon or two in my hot cereal. Like a dummy, I ate half a fig later that morning at my friend’s garden, totally not thinking about how I’d just tried a new food an hour or two earlier. I’m not sure which of those things made me sick later, but one of them sure did. At this point, I’m going to wait until my tinea versicolor goes away (again) before I try anything else at all. It’s frustrating to waste time like this because of careless decisions, but at least they’re learning moments, right? :p

To not be a total downer, some good things happened this month, too, primarily that I made it through three consecutive weekends of birthday parties without drinking and without getting weird and sad (including my own birthday party). The worst thing I did on my birthday was drink a 4-oz hemp milk latte (which was goddamn deliiiiiicious). I still feel 90% (92% ?) better than I did when I started my treatment…just not, you know, 99%, which is where I would have rated myself a month ago.

Technical stuff:
    -VCO everyday
    -brussels sprouts 6 days a week and rutabagas 4 times a month (over it)
    -200bil CFU probiotics everyday
    -goat milk kefir 5-6 days a week

Let me be your cautionary tale! The customary list of things I’ve learned:
    -three weeks of not doing anything “toooo” bad can still set you back
    -that I sometimes turn a blind eye to my own bad decisions (the same mechanism that allowed me to feed my candida so well for so many years even when I knew something was wrong and encourages a bunch of other bad behavior…something to meditate on in general, for sure)
    -this is really hard to do while really busy 🙁 all of you who are working full time and have kids and whatever and are STILL doing this are fucking champions, seriously
    -I’m still not as good at moderation as I’d like to be, bleh
    -I have a peanut intolerance, suspected a month or two again and confirmed by peanut oil-containing sunflower seeds making me break out like crazy
    -eight months seems to be approximately how long it takes for most people to come around to supporting and accepting and respecting this way of existing…finally :p

Sorry to be so grim, but if you can learn through my mistakes instead of your own, maybe you can save yourself some time and anguish. Here’s hoping?

msmofish
    Replies: 96

Shayfo
    Happy (belated) Birthday !!

Thanks so much for your updates, they help tremendously & put it all in perspective.
    I personally really appreciate them as they help me keep going.

I’m at the 3 month mark
    thank you for the hope & inspiration
    best
    MO

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Congratulations, Fruitbutt.

No kidding and seriously, great job even with the fruit screw-up.

But then I got really busy about a month ago, and two things happened: I got reeeeally burnt out on cooking, and I started making excuses about making bad decisions. I started eating fruit a little more often.

You know the problem with fruit? It’s just too damn convenient. It’s the fruit’s fault, certainly not yours.

rutabagas 4 times a month (over it)

Not hard to do.

Seems like lessons equal knowledge, no matter how bad they hurt. Dammit.

Way to go, kiddo.
    Sean

SueSullivan
    Replies: 108

Shay, thanks for taking the time to keep updating us. It is so helpful to read how the battle is going for people further down the timeline. Glad you’re still feeling 91 percent better, despite the setbacks — at least they don’t knock you back very far anymore.

bouncygal
    Topics: 32
    Replies: 100

Love your story. Congrats for getting so far <3

stovariste
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 116

thanks for update.
    Thanks for sharing experience, mistakes, know-how, etc etc…

I myself also tested some food, I found that small dosages wont affect me too much (stealing handful of French fries, two-three spoonful of brown-rice, and even one slice of rye bread, but taking it too much almost killed me 🙂

shayfo

Thanks for all the supportive/semi-supportive (coughABLEcough) responses 🙂

I’m currently just waiting for summer/birthday season to be over so I can stop thinking about how much I want to goddamn drink these days :p I was fine for seven months, and lately I just reeeeally really really reeeeeeeeally want to drink. Ugh.

barnmouse
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 53

Hey Shayfo, great to read your update. And happy belated birthday!

I’m sure many of us have messed up, whether intentionally or accidentally. Feeling 90-92% better in a relatively short time is a great accomplishment. Good for you!

You’re right, this is really hard to do when you’re so busy (or just plain lazy!). Do you know how many times I’ve just wanted to grab a tub of hummus and go at it with a bag of baby carrots or pita bread?

And I’m so jealous that you have all that fruit right in your yard. Not that I’d be able to eat any of it right now. It’s torturous enough having all that summer fruit in the produce department taunting me. Damn fruit! :p

shayfo

You’re right, this is really hard to do when you’re so busy (or just plain lazy!). Do you know how many times I’ve just wanted to grab a tub of hummus and go at it with a bag of baby carrots or pita bread?

You mean vegan fast food? :p

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

shayfo;47856 wrote: I was fine for seven months, and lately I just reeeeally really really reeeeeeeeally want to drink. Ugh.

Let me see if I can help you out a bit here, Lady Shay, with a little semiCOUGHsupport.

Every time you have that thought of drinking, picture all the little Candida devils swimming and partying in that alcohol. See the smiles and laughter on their cute little faces? Their happy faces represent the enjoyment they’re getting from that alcohol, and we won’t even mention the other thing it’s helping them with. Hint: think reproduction.

Get your crayons out and color that image. The water is a nice blue and you can color the little creatures that are dirtying the pretty water black.
    Glad to help. 😉

shayfo

I actually usually picture them as out-of-control Bukowski-esque drunks who stumble around breaking shit and projectile-vomiting and shouting at each other and the gods.

msmofish
    Replies: 96

!! HAHAAHAAAHAAA !!

This is one of the very best posts !!

thanks for the laughs !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘8 Months!’ is closed to new replies.