6 Months Now

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice 6 Months Now

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

JustJoe
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 7

Hello all, new to this forum, but not to candida. I’ll apologize now for the long introduction.

I’m a self-diagnosed candida sufferer. It’s pretty clear; taken online questionnaires and scored off the charts. I did a 3-month mini-candida diet about 7 years ago with good results, but wasn’t very strict about it, and thus symptoms came back about 2 years ago. So this time in, I went in full force.

Basically, my diet has consisted of mostly fresh meats (unfortunately I don’t have the money to buy non-GMO, grain-fed, no-anti-biotic meats), like chicken, uncured pork, fish, shrimp, ground beef and steak. I’ll eat most vegetables (some are considered fruit in terms of genus), usually fresh, but some canned. Typically, celery, lettuce, cucumbers, avocados, spinach, tomatoes, pepers, spaghetti squash, broccoli. I also eat lots of beans, black, garbanzo, chickpeas, etc. I try and use good oils like olive oil. However, I am probably eating some things that may not be beneficial. Like I’ll eat canned tomatoes for making pasta sauce, which I know has citric acid. I didn’t eat oats until about month 4 and I’ve heard contradictory evidence for oats, because while it does contain gluten, it is a different kind or something like that. I don’t totally avoid stuff like citric acid, and do drink soy milk. I eat eggs, but for the most part I’ve avoided most candida-friendly foods. If I do use something I shouldn’t I’m not doing it a lot, like canola oil, if I do use it, it is so sparingly.

Over the past 6 months, I’ve gone from having myriad symptoms, like brain fog, confusion, lack of memory, depression, IBS, diarrhea, ezcema, itching (all over), constant colds, sinus problems, headaches, sleep problems, and so so much more. In fact, when I took the questionnaire again at 4 months, I went from a super high score of 450 to around 65, (the 65 being slight to moderate, but nearly out of candida).

Like I said, I thought I’ve adhered strictly to the diet, plus I have used many anti-fungals. I’ve doubled and tripled up many times. Pau D-Arco almost every day. Myrrh, spilanthes, grape fruit seed extract, oregano oil, a combo of psyllium/caprolyl/bentonite, raw fresh garlic, and a few others.

Plus, I’ve been using probiotics on a consistent basis, and taking tons of quality vitamins and minerals. I exercise regularly too.

But just recently, I went out to eat for my birthday and ordered some Grecian lamb. I thought Grecian meant olive oil/garlic, etc. So did my wife. However, it came back in a bechemel sauce (milk, flour, mushrooms). But since this was a fancy-smacy place, I didn’t want to send it back so I figured since I was doing so well, I’d just scrape off the sauce and a little wouldn’t hurt me. That same day, I also had a banana, a so called forbidden fruit. Plus, I had a communion wafer that same day (minor amount of wheat)… all in all, I probably did have some things that shouldn’t be eaten on the candida diet, but not really for someone who has been doing this for 6 months, and gone so far (so bad to so good) and been doing the program aggressively… not to mention I only had amounts so small they shouldn’t even be worrisome. Yet, since that time 8 days ago, my stomach has been reeling…! IBS is back, I’m tired more than normal and I feel more depressed today.

WHAT GIVES? I can’t believe (I don’t want to believe) that I’ve been doing this ALL WRONG for 6 WASTED MONTHS.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Joe,

Like you I have been very ill (for about 9 months now). I first decided to go with a less-strict diet like yourself eating pasta, grains, fruits, sugar, bread, etc for about 8 months.

I am not quite over candida, so I probably don’t have the best advice, but you just gotta tough it out and follow the strict diet. No bread, mushrooms, forbidden fruits, don’t cheat at all. 3-9 weeks, or later depending on your body, you should be completely over it.

I have been doing acupuncture every 2-3 weeks for about 6 months now and have been on the candida diet for the last 3 weeks. Nothing but chicken and rice pretty much to eat and it sucks. My diet: Yogurt/blueberries and rice cereal for breakfast, salad and sunflower seeds for lunch, and meat and rice for dinner. Rice cakes for snacks, one green apple per day. I am still having salad dressing which isn’t helpful and I’m a smoker.

I have also taken 3 supplements that are not mentioned here on this website: they include SMI powder, candicid forte, and lactobicilis sporogenes. You cannot buy these in stores and only online. Talk to a (naturopathic) doctor first before taking these, but they greatly helped me get over it with the diet.

3 weeks into this regimen I am almost completely over it. I am going to do the diet 1-2 more weeks and may eliminate coffee, salad dressing, and maybe the green apple during this time. It has greatly helped and I hope I can get over it like you. I just want life to return to normal (gradually).

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

JustJoe wrote: WHAT GIVES? I can’t believe (I don’t want to believe) that I’ve been doing this ALL WRONG for 6 WASTED MONTHS.

Hello, Joe, and welcome to the forum.

Hate being blunt, but to put it in your own words, you’re doing it wrong.

So many people think that being on the Candida diet means ‘a little’ of this and a little of that, but actually that’s exactly why some Candida sufferers write messages on forums stating that they’ve been suffering with Candida for 5, 6, 7 or even 10 to 20 years and can’t figure out why.

When I had Candida at its worse, I was receiving a reaction from practically every single bite of food I put into my body no matter what it was. Even so, once I decided to stick to the diet 100% while working to destroy at least part of the Candida, I healed the infestation to the point of zero reactions and zero symptoms in three to four months. I was able to do this because once I realized just what it would take to be rid of it and didn’t change my course until the end. In fact, months later I’m basically still on the diet simply because I believe it’s the healthiest diet any of us could be on.

If you’re serious about curing your Candida, then you will need to stop eating everything that is affecting the Candida infestation. That means to get rid of the black beans, garbanzo, and chickpeas for at least one month while you follow the diet. It also means to get rid of all canned foods. If you feel you have to have tomatoes, eat them fresh from a market or grow your own if it’s possible. You can make your own tomato sauce yourself with a cheap food chopper and save money in the long run, but eat them either very sparingly or not at all for at least one month. About canned foods; most canned foods, vegetable or otherwise, contain the cheapest form of salt available. The cheapest form of salt is regular table salt which contains Dextrose. If you have a box of regular Mortons table salt, look at the ingredients. Dextrose is a type of sugar which, as you know, Candida thrive on.

This also goes for eating out during the critical period of the diet, because I doubt that many restaurants use anything but the cheapest salt they can buy instead of pure sea salt. Once you start eating beans again, you can purchase dried beans instead of canned (if this is what you’re doing).

You wrote, “Like I said, I thought I’ve adhered strictly to the diet, plus I have used many anti-fungals.”

To be honest you haven’t been following your treatment or diet “strictly” as you stated because you’ve been eating all of the foods I named above. Second, all of the antifungals you were using were going to waste. What you were doing was like being in a battle and shooting your enemy and then sending your own medics to treat and bandage them so that they could fight again. It’s the very same thing because what you were doing was killing some of the Candida and then feeding the others so that they could increase their numbers. Do you see the picture?
    I know of no one who has cured a Candida infestation without probiotics, so it’s good that you’ve been taking these. What is the count and number of strains in yours?

You wrote that the banana you ate was a forbidden fruit. Yes, and for a good reason. An average size banana contains 30 grams of carbs and about 28 grams of sugar. So you literally gave the Candida you’re housing a king’s feast.

Since you’re not eating organic meats, and I assume you’re eating and I assume you’re eating non-organic meat at least once every day, you have the same scenario as feeding and killing the Candida. You’re using probiotics to build up the beneficial flora in your body, but you’re taking an antibiotic every day that has the potential of killing it, thus increasing the chance that the Candida have to survive. I didn’t eat meat or chicken at all for a while on the diet because I wanted to be rid of the Candida as quickly as possible, and I believed this would be beneficial to my goal; instead I ate lots of organic eggs which I knew would make a suitable substitute for meat protein. By the way, organic eggs are a lot cheaper than organic meat.

Able

JustJoe

I don’t mean to be taken as defensive, but the banana was after 5-1/2 months. I haven’t cheated, technically, of my own free will from the diet I’m doing. I may be doing it “wrong” according to this site’s method, but there are 1,000’s of candida diets out there and all are different. I’ve also never heard of not having beans at all on a candida diet. My goal is to rid myself of this so please don’t take this as being defensive.

I have only eaten fresh meats, vegetables (mostly fresh, some canned), rice products, beans (which I’ve never heard anywhere else as being bad for candida), eggs, water, almonds.

My diet consists mainly of 3 eggs for breakfast. For lunch I’ll usually have a chicken salad (lettuce, onions, peppers, tomatoes, chicken), and for dinner homemade hummus and meat.

I can’t be too far off. The episode I’ve described was not a cheat, but an accident that I regret. The banana was a mistake as I figured that during month 4 I had NO symptoms. None. Zilch. I thought I could handle it after being symptom free for a whole month.

I have cut out all dairy, caffeine, sugars (in all forms: sucrose, dextrose, etc, plus artificials), alcohol, wheat, most grains (except rice grain).

I guess I’m a little pissed because I thought I’ve been doing this right and I’ve just wasted 6 ******** months.

I don’t honestly know WTF anymore, because almost every diet I’ve seen says ALL dairy should be cut out because it feeds candida, yet yogurt is allowed here. Plus so are non-aged cheeses.

If one were to combine all the programs together to get what they could eat, it would amount to:

1) water
    2)

raster
    Participant

Cut the tomatoes, cut the oats, cut the peppers, cut anything canned, go all organic everything. Don’t eat any yellow, red, or orange vegetables. Are you taking any medications? They may contain ingredients not allowed on the diet. Try quitting these items for a few weeks if you can.

You may also want to quit the beans and go without them for a few weeks to see if you notice any difference. They are allowed during phase 2 of the diet.

Quite possibly eating those foods that one day caused candida to come back. That is unfortunate if its the case. Additionally, seafoods may contain harmful toxins (especially bottom feeders such as crabs, muscles, etc). Non-organic meats contains pharmies that may be harmful to you during the diet. Just tough it out a few weeks-months and buy organic everything (farmer’s markets have cheap veggies). Your health is more important than your pocketbook (while getting over candida).

OH CUT THE SOY MILK! SOY anything is not allowed. This is probably the worst thing that has allowed it to persist. Cut the citric acid if you can also.

Your body may be really worn down to the point it cannot recover quickly. Maybe try acupuncture to get your body more balanced. It really has helped me.

JustJoe

Why tomatoes, why peppers? Why orange, red, yellow?

No medications.

The beans and oats and soy I didn’t start until after 3 months, that’s 16 weeks. I’ve looked at this program and apparently this one doesn’t even go that long, so how could my outbreak by from that? The first 3 months I was strict vegetables, meat. So in essence, I actually did this diet 100% strictly. It wasn’t until Phase 2 that I started eating these other things like beans and soy and stuff. Another place I thought I trusted which has tons of valuable info says that soy is bad for you, but not because it is bad for candida. Can someone explain WHY it is bad?

It looks like this Phase 1 is 3 weeks, then Phase 2 is 4 weeks and then Phase 3 is maintenance and adding back in foods. I did three times the amount of this diet’s Phase 1. I should be just fine. I probably had an allergic reaction to the wheat, but the problem is that I DON’T KNOW.

I’m a very tired of getting so much different advice. It is hurting me more than helping.

The problem is that I don’t believe anyone anymore because EVERY diet says THEY are THE ONLY ONES that know the right way.

So what everyone is saying here on this forum is that I WILL BE CURED if I eat ONLY fresh vegetables and ORGANIC meat for 3 weeks. Just 3?

raster
    Participant

Everyone’s body is different and it could take longer depending on how ill with candida you are. I am going to do the diet for 5 weeks.

As far as yellow, red, and orange veggies…they contain sugars which make them that color. Tomatoes are specifically not allowed I believe because of the citric acid. Give it a try atleast.

Soy is the top GMO food out there. It is bad because it doesn’t have many healthy properties. GMO foods can alter your genetics and your health (no scientific evidence of this of course). 99% of all soy is genetically modified or non-organic.

Go organic because regular non-organic foods contain pesticides, herbicides, etc that are not helpful or healthy. GMO foods are specifically really bad. Don’t eat anything canned.

Don’t eat any fruits; I only eat blueberries and green apples.

Maybe talk to a naturopathic doctor, dietitian, etc and maybe it is not candida. Candida can cause other health problems/diseases. Also the mercury fillings in your teeth are supposedly bad for candida but I am not going to get into this.

Get really healthy good (organic) yogurt. There is a brand here called “annie’s” yogurt which contains proteins that naturally kill candida.

raster
    Participant

One more idea:

What kind of water are you drinking? Are you drinking water solely from the municipal water supply?

I would consider trying purified bottled water. Municipal water supplies contain lead and other minute contantities of carcinogens which could set you back some. I know in places like Arizona and New mexico they use a ton of chlorine and the water is brownish colored. A lot of water contains (natural) bacteria and/or other micro-organisms that live in the pipes. Candida can still live on these. I am lucky to live in a place where we have some of the best water quality in the world…other locations are not as fortunate. Most supermarkets have those water filling up stations where its like really cheap. 2 gallons of other purified water can be about $1.50. It’ll last you a week or so. Make sure it says “pure” and not just filtered, etc. Pure water has different properties than “regular” water.

JustJoe

Luckily the soy milk I drink is non-gmo, organic-certified. It is soy, water and vanilla flavoring.

As far as the water, I filter mine at home with a purification system.

Again, my issue is that I have done all the things you’ve said to do, but for much much longer than 3 weeks, then another 4 weeks. I did all of those for nearly 4 months before I even touched soy, or oatmeal. It wasn’t until 5-1/2 months I touched a banana. The problem becomes then if I’ve done ALL that, AND done it for nearly 3-4 times longer than expected, wtf? is going on with my body?

I’ve thought, well maybe food poisoning, or a virus. The trouble is that I have no way of knowing…

raster
    Participant

Hello Joe,

I am into week 8 of my diet. All I can say is do your best to get as “pure” as possible. Test your body now and then to see whether you get a “reaction” to foods. For instance, try salad dressing. If you still get reaction than continue phase 1. There is also a spit test you can do (spit in water and see how it reacts, if it looks like jelly-fish tentacles, then you still have it).

I am unsure what to do at this point because I am almost there myself where you were at when you posted this. Maybe cut coffee, cigarrettes (if you smoke), vitamin powders, etc. Look at the ingredients for everything you eat and make sure you aren’t feeding it any more. Cut all dairy. Get more exercise if you can. Try things like detox tea, the clay, garlic, etc. Make your liver stronger. Do not cheat on food items. I took 3 supplements that have really helped, maybe consider those. Get plenty of rest as well. Don’t overwork yourself either.

Cut all environmental toxins if possible such as mold, dust, chlorine, chemicals, etc.

The goal is to get your body to the most pure it can get. I do not know what it feels like to finally get to that point yet, but its not far away or out of reach.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘6 Months Now’ is closed to new replies.