5-Hour Energy vs. Coffee

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions 5-Hour Energy vs. Coffee

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  raster 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

masinmiami
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 1

I know that caffeine is a no-no on the candida diet, but I can’t function without it. I don’t need a lot, just to get me through some tough spots (i.e. – falling asleep at work, falling asleep on long drives) That being said, is there a lesser of two evils between the 5-Hour Energy Drink (sugarless) and coffee w/ organic cream, and a small amount of pure maple syrup (vermont of course). Those are your options. Lol. For those not familiar with 5-Hour Energy, here are the listed ingredients:
    Niacin – 30mg
    Vitamin B6 – 40mg
    Vitamin B12 – 500mcg
    Folic Acid – 400mcg
    Sodium – 18mg
    Energy Blend aka: the bad stuff – (Taurine, Glucuronic acid, malic acid, N.Acetyl, L.tyrosine, L.Phenlalanine, Caffeine, Citoline) – sounds worse when I write it. Lol

approximately_me
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 186

I don’t know if coffee is the worst thing. Balance out the pros and cons.

So often that one cup of coffee in the morning was all I looked forward to. It was twenty minutes of peace that I could indulge in. That has to have a positive impact on health I think.

I also found that one cup gave me a bit of an immune boost (so does black tea). But more than this worked against me. Coffee also helps my digestion so much.

Of course, if your adrenals are fried that’s a big deal and I’d probably wait until those get better.

Vegan Catlady
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

I agree with aprom-me totally.

I went 8 months without any coffee (just didnt desire it) and got a bad candida flare-up anyway.

Im drinking 1-2 cups a day now, and I have no reaction to it at all.

Coffee, if drank ritually in the morning or at stressful times of the day, can be a comfort food and get you through feeling like everything you enjoy is temp. taken away. Just the act of stress-relieving is beneficial to the adrenals.

Coffee does contain antioxidants.

All 5 hr energy does is wash down a B vitamin with some caffeinated chemicals 😉

They tell you to stay away from coffee because the caffeine raises blood sugar slightly.
    5hr energy wouldnt be any different here.

Cream and maple syrup will wreck you,however,lol.
    Consider So Delicious Coconut creamer (doesnt taste like coconut at all once in coffee) and a few tsp of coconut oil if you want something that has the essence of sweetness but isnt sweet. Coconut is antifungal. You could also try cinnamon in the coffee, or vanilla. None of these things have sugar…but can taste like there is some.

Cream and maple syrup are candida food.

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

Caffeine can really drain your adrenals though, which are guaranteed to be fatigued if you have any type chronic infection(candida) or any type of stressor.

JudyF1992x
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 6

Hey!

First off, LOVE this forum and all the great support/advice from others who I can relate to.

I was on the Candida Diet 4 years ago at age 17, which gave me amazing results and really changed my life. I fell off the diet after about a year and had an extremely hard time trying to get back on track because of my lifestyle, but now I am at the point where I NEED to go Candida free!

Anyway, I’m in phase 1, taking all the supplements and strictly following the diet with the exception of caffeine. I am trying to ween myself off from 4-6 cups a day to 1-2 which is working so far (although I’m extremely exhausted from the die off symptoms). I’d like to hear any opinions regarding taking the adrenal support supplements along with still drinking coffee because that’s what I’ve been doing for the past 5 days. Will the supplements help or counteract at least to some degree? I don’t want to put too much- or continue to put too much stress on my adrenal glands. I don’t think I feel a reaction from it so far, then again my whole system is in disarray.

Any advice helps! Thank you 🙂

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I wouldn’t touch the 5-hour energy crap. What I would do is slowly reduce coffee consumption to one cup per day. Then I would start to drink green tea or similar teas that have caffeine. After that I would then reduce this consumption and start transitioning to chamomile tea (needs to steep for more than 8 minutes to give you energy benefits, contains no caffeine). I then would try to consume chamomile tea only. 3 cups of chamomile tea makes me feel pretty normal…

The coffee consumption and 5-hour energy is a negative feedback loop. You are continuing to drain your adrenals and thus will continue to be tired. This cycle needs to break in order for your immune system to get better.

How long are you sleeping and how good is your sleep?

-raster

JudyF1992x

Hey Raster, thanks for getting back to me!

I will take your advice to ween myself off, I also purchased organic caffeine free peppermint, cranberry, and ginger teas.

I sleep for around 8 hours, sometimes 9 or 10 on days I’m off. My sleep is usually interrupted once a night but I tend to fall back asleep within an hour. I don’t have much trouble getting out of bed in the morning, but STAYING out of bed all day is hard. I find myself literally laying in bed all day with exhaustion. I don’t take naps, but I just lay in bed either doing homework, research, or just relaxing. The only time I’m out of bed is to eat, shower, go to class, and run errands. I was going to the gym about 3 days a week, but since i started the diet not only am I struggling with energy, I’m also dizzy, and suffering from migraines.

I really didn’t eat too badly for the past year. The only problem was alcohol consumption (I’m completely surrounded by it in college), and sometimes a cheat meal but I’ve been gluten free for over a year.

Vegan Catlady

JudyF1992x;54455 wrote:

Anyway, I’m in phase 1, taking all the supplements and strictly following the diet with the exception of caffeine. I am trying to ween myself off from 4-6 cups a day to 1-2 which is working so far (although I’m extremely exhausted from the die off symptoms). I’d like to hear any opinions regarding taking the adrenal support supplements along with still drinking coffee because that’s what I’ve been doing for the past 5 days.

Any advice helps! Thank you 🙂

Im not on The Candida Diet,but on my own version of it that works for me.

Are you only drinking coffee for the pick-up you get, or is it a comfort food you love?

Adrenal exhaustion is something most people have. You can support the adrenals in lots of ways, but consuming herbal teas through the day have helped me.
    Herbal teas with Licorice,siberian ginseng (adaptogens) have helped me most.
    Herbal teas by Yogi Tea that I take just happen to have adaptogens in them, and they are all antifungal as well.

Consider that as time goes on,the better you feel, the less coffee will appeal to you as often.

After reading you last post, I just want to say that its sounding MORE like adrenal fatigue is encouraging your candida, and a lowered immune system maybe.

Alcohol doesnt help, but I personally do not believe its the cause of candida.
    Maybe the resulting liver congestion…bad food choices in conjunction.

I was a bartender for 18 years. No candida issues during those times, but I did have adrenal fatigue here and there. Not fun.

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

masinmiami;54449 wrote: I know that caffeine is a no-no on the candida diet, but I can’t function without it. I don’t need a lot, just to get me through some tough spots (i.e. – falling asleep at work, falling asleep on long drives) That being said, is there a lesser of two evils between the 5-Hour Energy Drink (sugarless) and coffee w/ organic cream, and a small amount of pure maple syrup (vermont of course). Those are your options. Lol. For those not familiar with 5-Hour Energy, here are the listed ingredients:
    Niacin – 30mg
    Vitamin B6 – 40mg
    Vitamin B12 – 500mcg
    Folic Acid – 400mcg
    Sodium – 18mg
    Energy Blend aka: the bad stuff – (Taurine, Glucuronic acid, malic acid, N.Acetyl, L.tyrosine, L.Phenlalanine, Caffeine, Citoline) – sounds worse when I write it. Lol

Coffee > 5 hour energy

Theres lots of good info in this thread.
    I drink 1-2 cups of black coffee almost every morning with 0 side effects, it helps tremendously in the morning while busy at work. I can honestly thank coffee partly for a promotion at work. However, some people will react to coffee and shouldn’t’ consume.

With that being said you’re not helping yourself by adding cream and maple syrup. It Doesn’t matter that maple syrup is all natural, your candida will enjoy the feast.

Also, you left out the “Other ingredients” of 5-hour like Sucralose and other preservatives.

Drinking coffee in the morning only and in moderation has been of benefit to me, may not be the same for others.

-D

JudyF1992x

Cat Lady!

I’ve actually read a post from you a few days ago (although I don’t know the exact date of the post) it was about you having random purple welts on your legs that you noticed while gardening. I found it interesting that you feel just changing your diet will have the greatest impact against candida; all the supplements over load the body and the candida will fight back in full force. I never took any supplements other than probiotics when I originally tackled my candida. This time, I figured it would be worth a try to use supplements to see if I will have a faster shot at beating it.

I drink coffee for both the pick up and comfort. I absolutely love it and honestly feel as if I need it to function. I only drink black coffee, none of those added sweeteners of dreaded milk. Rarely do I put coconut oil in it. I think you may be right about adrenal fatigue and my candida… I drink coffee to gain energy, but find myself more and more tired. I have noticed however, that the adrenal support supplements give me a bit of a boost.

I’m not sure if alcohol causes it, but I definitely notice how badly it aggravates my candida in every way possible lol. I either fall asleep at every friends house before 12am, or I become extremely moody. I break out, wind up with yeast issues, bloat, crave bad food, headache, brain fog, and the new symptom- one eye becomes twice the size along with burning, and itching.

JudyF1992x

OH!!! And the cause of my Candida was from extensive antibiotics (EVERY MONTH I was on antibiotics for over A YEAR!!) around age 7 to fight continuous ear infections/strep throat which turned out to be from my tonsils. Had those removed and the infections stopped. However during that time I had a few yeast infections, and so many, SO many signs of Candida that followed with me since, which unfortunately I had no idea was Candida. It wasn’t until a holistic doctor informed me about Candida and helped me get my life on track. Sadly, as I said, I fell off the wagon and have experienced worse symptoms than I did before I started.

The worst part is, after my tonsil surgery and my mother realizing all the antibiotics I was on, the doctor told my mother that she had to give me all those antibiotics because the health insurance companies will not help with the surgery unless it is the last option. How ridiculous is that?? I would not be shocked to learn that is still the protocol today, but to think of how many people had to go through the same thing as me who are not aware of candida.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

There’s a bunch of natural stuff out there that can give you energy; for instance, whenever I consume flax oil, the omega’s perk me up some. I take another supplement called magnesium chloride…same effect; I also take a juniper supplement that gives me energy also.

But chamomile is what you should aim for in the long run.

Also, if you are pretty sexually active…if you were to reduce these activities, you’ll likely gain long term energy (just sharing something I learned as I got better).

I know b12 gives you energy but haven’t taken it too much.

If you can afford acupuncture, it almost immediately gives you energy and helps you detox. I highly recommend it.

-raster

Vegan Catlady

JudyF1992x;54464 wrote: OH!!! And the cause of my Candida was from extensive antibiotics (EVERY MONTH I was on antibiotics for over A YEAR!!) around age 7 to fight continuous ear infections/strep throat which turned out to be from my tonsils. Had those removed and the infections stopped. However during that time I had a few yeast infections, and so many, SO many signs of Candida that followed with me since, which unfortunately I had no idea was Candida. It wasn’t until a holistic doctor informed me about Candida and helped me get my life on track. Sadly, as I said, I fell off the wagon and have experienced worse symptoms than I did before I started.

The worst part is, after my tonsil surgery and my mother realizing all the antibiotics I was on, the doctor told my mother that she had to give me all those antibiotics because the health insurance companies will not help with the surgery unless it is the last option. How ridiculous is that?? I would not be shocked to learn that is still the protocol today, but to think of how many people had to go through the same thing as me who are not aware of candida.

Oh you poor thing.
    I wanted to cry reading this, my children went through ridiculous amounts of antibiotics both for strep and chronic tonsil infections 🙁

One doctor tried to tell me he was getting food caught in his tonsils,but the food was always white and curdy. Docs have no clue about candida >:(

Finally, when my son was 4 yrs old, he was in the ER for the 3rd time in as many months for being unable to breathe, and the doc asked me why he hasnt gotten his tonsils out yet.
    Even they dont realize that without insurance, the ER is the only way to go. Dumb as rocks,some of them. Surgery doesnt “do” payment plans!

So if coffee is mostly for a pick-up, try chai black tea instead.
    The black tea is awesome both hot or cold, and the spices kill candida!
    Maybe you could switch-out a few cups of coffee for that?

Anyhoo, from all my research, the body and immune system of a healthy individual should be able to keep candida in check, without meds,supplements, or diets.

A healthy body already has healthy bacteria in the right amounts,and I learned by accident that probiotics are not necessary in supplement form to get better OR repopulate the gut.

Not saying they wont speed the healing up…that has not been my experience but it has for some from what I have read.

With that said, the conclusion that I personally came to was that supplements do not fix you, probiotics do not fix you, only getting your glands and organs working proper fix you.
    But everyone comes to their own conclusion…thats just me.

It truly is an individual journey, as I looked for patterns in healing this I noticed that there is no one-size-fits-all cure :/

I do lean towards natural… mostly because playing “god” and taking stuff has got me in this mess to begin with, and a naturopathic doc told me if I stay minimalist and only give the body what is lacking naturally, it will come into balance and be stronger for having done it.

We do what we resonate with.

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

I have coffee every once in awhile, not a lot, but enough to get me going sometimes. I try to look at it as a treat though, if my stomach is doing okay. Maybe a couple times a week. I do think taking some herbs and adrenal supplements can give some more energy than coffee sometimes. However, I try to stay away, but I just need a treat every once in awhile.

I should point out that I think vitamin B’s give a great amount of energy, but I have laid back until I can get a methylation test because I think we need to make sure to have a proper amount. I have taken too much before and it made me anxious and jittery, and that is not caffeine.

JudyF1992x

I just went to the gym yesterday after 2 exmas… 45 minutes interval cardio training and that really perked me up!

Raster: I find that Omegas usually bloat me, do you have that problem at all? I will definitely start drinking chamomile as well! My finace is active duty military right now so no sexual activity here, but I’m curious as to how the lack of sexual activity gains long term energy?? I thought I had more energy before he left… but I guess it could also be mental/emotional since it’s been a hugh change to not have him here. Unfortunately I cannot afford acupuncture. In my initial candida cleanse (4 years ago) I did about 5 colonics and I think that definitely sped up the process. Through research I found that candida resides in the colon as well, since I can’t afford the colonics right now, I think I might do at home ones.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘5-Hour Energy vs. Coffee’ is closed to new replies.