4 recipes…all failed – what am I doing wrong?

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas 4 recipes…all failed – what am I doing wrong?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  BeccaJR 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

shannonkv
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 26

I’ve found tons of recipes online that are candida friendly. I’ve been looking at making muffins and bread and each time I’ve attempted a recipe the inside is always extremely soft/ doughy and it always taste like flour.

Is this normal and how its suppose to taste? Anyone else have this problem?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

If it’s doughy, it sounds like you didn’t bake it long enough.
    Have you tried the coconut flour bread recipe from the forum?
    Bread Recipes

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

This is one of the few recipes I’ve found that doesn’t have anything funky going on.

http://www.empoweredsustenance.com/coconut-flour-and-stevia-zucchini-muffins/

This is delicious.
    I substitute yacon powder for the stevia because I can’t stand stevia.

shannonkv

Thank you both, I will try both of these. I’m just getting a little scared to bake, as its costing me a lot of money and then having to throw them out because it taste like flour (one came out crumbly coconut flour…not very appetizing!).

I will give it another go 🙂

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would use the most popular recipes on the forum. Sometimes they have specific directions. I would also judge before baking whether it is too thick or runny. You can add water, more eggs, etc. to make it more watery.

Sometimes my eggs are smaller than average and thus it comes out more dry. I try to add an exra egg or another liquid to make it more normal.

-raster

shannonkv

Update: I attempted the pumpkin muffin recipe on here…it sounds great!

I had to add a lot of water to have the liquids mix properly with the solids (it was way too dry) and I had them in the oven for over an hour (to the point that the tops were dark brown), but the insides were still very “soft”; not doughy, just loose flour like (kinda like a wet sponge).

I seriously must be doing some wrong? I could try turning up the oven, but I don’t want the tops to burn.

any thoughts?

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

I’ve noticed that adding extra water to the ingredients leaves the inside of the loaf somewhat moist. However, I always heat up the slices before I eat them so this helps to dry it up a little. Otherwise, you could try to make your mixture less watery, and a little more thick. Just add more flour and stir it in until you get the consistency that you desire.

Katemate3
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 48

BUMP this also happens to me.. did you figure it out sharronkv?

Vegan Catlady
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

instead of adding water, add a tbsp or so of unsweetened applesauce. Not sure why no one has mentioned it yet, other than maybe people fear the apple will set them back. Pumpkin and apple (and banana, but I would never use that until well) are all tricks to moisten baked goods without adding additional oil.

shannonkv

Able900;34934 wrote: If it’s doughy, it sounds like you didn’t bake it long enough.
    Have you tried the coconut flour bread recipe from the forum?
    Bread Recipes

I found these recipes did work for me. I tweaked them if needed. If it was too liquidy, I added more flour; if it was too solid I added water and/ or more eggs.

Hope that helps!

Katemate3
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 48

Thanks all! but the problem for me is the bread/cookies etc. are cooked on the outside but not on the inside. If I leave them in longer the outside gets burned but the inside remains raw-like.

🙁

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

Sounds like you need to turn the temperature on the oven down or cover loosely with foil

shannonkv

Tdog333;53272 wrote: Sounds like you need to turn the temperature on the oven down or cover loosely with foil

Turning the temp down should help – worked for me.

BeccaJR
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 19

Coconut flour is very dry. To make the recipe moister, try substituting most or all of the coconut flour with almond flour (also known as ground almonds). The bread does taste totally different, but having been eating paleo (grain free, dairy free, legume free) for almost a year now it’s grown on me. It’s a lot more filling, but is definitely totally different from the bread you might be used to.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘4 recipes…all failed – what am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.