2nd time trying

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals 2nd time trying

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  alexisMCA 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Yvie
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Last January I went on a full-fledged attack on my candida. Began with probiotics, garlic and apple-cider vinegar each morning, kale and fish twice daily cooked in Coconut oil, exercise and so much more. I even made my own sauerkraut! Needless to say I suffered the “die-off” so badly that I went back to my usual ways by March.
    I suffer mainly from skin rashes all over my body that began last year and have evolved to a suicidal level. I am attempting once again but VERY VERY VERY slowly. Today I am simply using garlic in most of my meals and cut out sweets and fruits. I have subscribed to the newsletter and look forward to the next message. I am also a struggling artist so I can’t afford the probiotics that people normally buy. Question: is yogurt as effective and how much do I need to take? Bottom line is I am hoping to be able to overcome this on a pauper’s budget. Any suggestions? Thanks,.

mariannefadel
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 4

Buy kefir..goat milk kefir is much more powerful than yogurt and any other probiotic…but u should start slowly…with 1/4 of a cup…i started with a cup and having die off symptoms even if taking milk thistle…nausea, itching…the worst thing is skin scalp ears and eyes itching…it is killing me….
    U have to start the diet with a good enzyme supplement, vitamins, a colon cleanse… Otherwise the infection would keep coming back…
    Good luck for all of us…

Yvie
    Participant

Thanks Marianne> I will try this and post a follow-up. 🙂

chrisluketaylor
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 23

I spend £40-50 a week on my nutrition and supplementation. What is your budget?

Yvie
    Participant

Thanks for asking Chris. My husband provides for me and my son on a very humble salary. I check for the weekly “best value” items when shopping for food. We can’t always afford a full grocercy order and often have to use fillers when cooking such as pasta, potatoes and bread. I guess $100.00 per week would be accurate for a family of 3 adults. The probiotics sold in Canada usually go for anywhere from 2-5 dollars per pill….something I couldn’t possibly afford.

chrisluketaylor
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 23

Food prices over that side of the atlantic are different, fresh food is seemingly far more expensive that side of the pond.

My most costly items on my shopping list are 4kg of chicken for £10.00 and 300ml organic extra virgin coconut oil for £6.00 and 750g of toasted almond flakes for £8.55

I buy all my veg frozen apart from my celery and cauliflowers (which I like to grate and use as a rice substitute in meals).

Avrg food per week (just myself):

1kg frozen brocolli – 90p
    1kg frozen whole leaf spinach – £1.20
    1kg frozen green beans – £1.10
    2 cauliflower – £2.00
    1kg frozen cabbage – £1.20
    2 celery – £1.60
    1kg natural yoghurt (5 strain) – £4.00
    4kg chicken thighs and drums – £10.00
    28 eggs – £3.50
    organic extra virgin coconut oil (350ml)- £6.00
    400g pumpkin seeds – £3.20
    16L of mineral water – £2.50
    20 bags of nettle tea – £1.20
    10 bags of peppermint tea – 90p
    1/4 jar of chickory root coffee – 60p
    1/3 jar cinnamon powder – 80p
    1/3 jar of garlic granules – 60p
    1/3 jar of dried rosemary – 70p
    180g of whey protein isolate – £3.20

Thats about £44 per week for myself (I cant get the same quality nutrition for cheaper, here in the UK).

My capsule probiotics are £18 for 60 (7strain with garlic and GSE), but the store owner threw in 20 extra 11 strain capsules last time (I have a good health food shop in my village). So that worked out about 23p per capsule (46p a day or £3.22 per week).

Other supplementation I use:

Cod liver oil – 50p per week
    multivitamin – 70p per week
    oregano oil – 90p per week

So in total I’m spending about £50 per week on everything.

The method I used to optimise my costs was to calculate how much each meal I had in a week cost.

I found that meals I had with beef or steak were much more expensive than chicken so scrapped them (only real downside is less L-carnitine in my diet now). Meals with salad were also costlier, and not really as good nutritionally compared to spinach (which I have every day) – so scrapped them also. Meals with fish (frozen alaskan pollock is the cheapest for me) worked out less costlier than chicken, but takes up valuable freezer space and has low levels of mercury in so I don’t bother with it.

Breakfast was the cheapest meal for me (eggs, seeds, broccoli and celery), averaging out at £1.80 but lunches and dinners were more expensive due to consumption of yoghurt and toasted almonds aswell as chicken and veg averaging out at £3.00 for each meal.

[email protected]
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

kefir has yeast pathogens avoid it
    only certain yeast are non hypae forming

garlic kills both probiotic and bad bacteria

Jaumeb
    Participant
    Replies: 148

kefir has yeast pathogens avoid it
    only certain yeast are non hypae forming

garlic kills both probiotic and bad bacteria

That’s interesting Richard. I suspected kefir could be problematic. Do you have more information for us? Which probiotic foods are ok? Yogurt? Sauerkraut? Beet kvass? Water kefir? Kombucha?

alexisMCA
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 33

Hang in there! Die-Off SUCKS! I am a starving student so get the idea about the funds and the probiotics. They should be covered by health insurance is my opinion or paid for by the tard doctors that prescribed the antibiotics to me over the past few years instead of looking for a alternative cause of the skin rashes I had.

I am on day 9 of anti-candida diet with the addition of meat I had some hormone antibiotic free beef recently. Lost 5 pounds already (needed to lose it) but it was not what I expected. I also took 1 entire packet/sachet of the VSL3 a whooping 450 billion cultures at once now BAD die-off side effects sweating, cold, that dizzy but not room spinning feeling. But I learned lesson and can say that 2 days from that probiotic OD I am feeling better. I am still not the “strong self” I remember but definitely helpful.

Anti-fungals to try: garlic odorless gel tabs cheap 2.99 on vitacost I take 1 a day and Caprylic because I have leaky gut too and doctor put me on caprylic last year. I put 1 clove of garlic in my green slime drink in the morning so if I do that I may not take the garlic gel tabs – have enough etc

Probiotics: I make my own saukercraut like you and also drink that expensive kumbacha tea in the bottle from the czeh republic I put my self in debt over it but it tastes good and the VSL3 I am doing but 1/4 of a packet and spacing at least 2 hours from anti-fungals above.

If I can help or keep you from going over the edge just message. I understand the die-off and the frustration. I had such bad die-off last year when I started diflucan and before nystatin elevated my liver enzymes and the PA I had never told me that there was a die-off and if I had known I probably would have stayed on it and adjusted but better than I understand more now -everything happens for a reason.

Before finding this “forum and literature” I paid BIG money for a physician assistant to prescribe me anti-fungals and supplements but he didn’t explain the die-off and I was instructed to eat lentils, brown rice, potatoes and the like, foods on the avoid list so I lost all faith in this person.

So hang in there! It is worth it to stay the course and when you don’t feel well just remember there are a lot of us who feel like shit too and are right there with you rooting you on!

You can do this! Here is to your health!

I am not a doctor nor want to be one! So my opinion is just a lay person who has an opinion which may be ignored LOL

Yvie
    Participant

thank you Alexis

alexisMCA
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 33

I am taking the NOW fiber regularly (lol no pun intended) that is suggested here and today I feel finally good. Not perfect yet but I had bad day yesterday day 12 of the new diet and think may be the candidate stuff was too much so none of that today just regular supps, anti-candida diet along with a small amount of VSL3 and fiber and believe I may have gotten through the die-off. I hope so.

Have no plans of going back to anything that will harm my health.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2nd time trying’ is closed to new replies.