1.5 years of symptoms and pain before discovering the candida hypothesis

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals 1.5 years of symptoms and pain before discovering the candida hypothesis

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  vadimo 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

vadimo
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Dear community,

I just joined and I have a couple of questions… First of all, here is my story:

I believe I have candida (did the spit test and I failed). I have just turned 30 and am male. My symptoms are:
    GERD and esophagitis (confirmed by an oral endoscopy), I easily get cold hands and feet, blocked nose, flue like symptoms, lack of energy, IBS symptoms and soft stools (used to have diarrhea but that got better and IBS symptoms also got better, as well as my energy levels but still low). One of the most telling factors is the state of my tongue which if I don’t brush for 2 days will clearly have a thin layer of yellow/green/white foam/mucus and it is slightly enlarged, I have teeth marks on it. My main issue is the esophagitis inflammation and I would do anything for it to go away…

I have been feeling ill since I moved to London a few years ago, but back then I believe a lot had to do with depression and the of course the bad diet I was following. I used to get throat infections which never seemed to go away unless I took anti-biotics, so every 5/6 months or so I had another infection and another dose of anti biotics… I started taking anti depressants 6 years ago, and felt better on and off but it helped me get by (was still getting the infections every so often but just in a better mood and slightly more energy). In Jan. 2012 I went on holiday for the NY in Brazil, I got food poisoned, went on Anti Biotics, the doc also gave me a medication that made me really dry (kind of an amphetamine), I didn’t sleep for 2 days, got back to the UK as sick as a dog and went to see my GP who told me I was given 6x the max recommended dosage of that drug and along with the anti-biotics, I feel this finally ended up messing my system to the point that throat issues became chronic and constant as opposed to temporary. On top of that, that year, 2012 I must have had at least 7 throat infections and was probably 6x on anti biotics from Amoxicilin to penicillin… By December 2012 I was a mess, not to mention stress at work and in my private life! Something had to change… I used to be a very sporty person, as a kid I was in top football (soccer) teams, and was always an energetic person, and here I was feeling almost paralysed, on my bad days, getting up from bed to take a pee felt like moving mountains.

By the end of December 2012, I first heard about the Hippocrates Institute based in Florida and started changing my diet, being a novice I may not have eaten enough proteins at the beginning but I threw away the anti-biotics (I had spares) and my anti depressants and got myself off ALL kind of chemical medicines and started eating much more greens and veggies. Unfortunately by then, and since Jan 2012 my throat pains became chronic and I didn’t know what it was.

Here we are 9 and a half months later… I have not had a single throat infection this year and in the mean time, I was tested as having acid reflux (grade I or II so not that bad but there…) and I have slightly more energy than earlier on, went through the whole anti depressant withdrawal symptoms which was terrible but my mood is ok now. I wanted to get to the bottom of what caused my GERD and acid reflux, and the more I searched, the more I found that candida was probably to blame… I have started following the candida diet for a week now and am taking: “Udo’s Pro biotics 30 billion strains, Royal Reishi Ganoderma, “Total Candida defence” caprylic acid, garlic powder etc…, Neem pills, Cinnamon pills, digestive enzymes and a few other things… From what you have just read, and from your experience, what else could I be doing and how long do you all think this will take to heal?

I am going back to Brazil in 14 days and will go see Joao de Deus there (I was curious anyway), and on the 3rd of October, 2 days prior, I will be going to see a Functional Doctor here in London called Dr. George Mouton. I’ve read lots of his reviews on the net and he seems like the right person for me or anyone having similar issues, but I am very impatient to get this sorted and take back the life that is/was mine.

Looking forward to your responses. I am especially looking forward to hearing back from people who have been suffering from Candida caused GERD and Esophagitis who managed to heal themselves or on their way to it.

Best,

Vadim

vadimo

I forgot to add, I have just modified my diet to match a proper sugar free low carb diet just over a week ago now, and started taking the anti candida supplements at the same time, but so far there has barely been any improvement, and am feeling very tired today…

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Vadim.
    Your Udo’s probiotic doesn’t contain 30 billion strains; it contains 30 billion CFU’s or Colony Forming Unit. It probably contains around 8 strains. You’re going to have to find another type of probiotic with different and more strains as well as higher billions. Check your email account for more information.

Sean

shelly808
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

Aloha Vadim,
    Wow, congratulations on a healthy comeback…Good for you for all the lifestyle changes. I hear very very good things about The Hippocrates Inst.

What got me to the doctor was that terrible throat pain! It started over a month ago and got progressively worse. I also had this excess mucous in my throat that drove me nuts at night.

I was diagnosed with Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (Silent Reflux) this past week. They gave me the typical prilosec and I’ve decided NOT to go that route. I started thinking about candida just today! I think there def may be a connection as I was on very heavy doses of antibiotics 2 years ago for an infection that got into my blood, was actually hospitalized. Since then I have gained 30 lbs and have had sugar cravings-big time.

I decided to go with Garden of Life 5 Day Max care it has 400 billion CFU, raw probiotics and a product called Candex (heard its remarkable for Candida) Also doing bentonite clay in the A.M., Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL), high quality digestive enzymes, raw apple cider vinegar (ACV) and small amounts of baking soda 45 minutes after my meals. I am also waiting for D-Limonene to come in the mail, read cool things about how it can line and protect the esophagus…

I presume the whopping challenge for me will be the diet adjustment… I have not eaten well consistently for a long time and I LOVE wine and beer! UGH. Just started my little protocol today but will report back now and again.

Good luck and cheers to your health advancements!

shelly808

Hello,

Throat is not good… YES to every single question. I also have this thin mucous that constantly is in my throat I feel the need to bring up and spit out. Nastiness! Stomach gas that is often difficult to burp up, and energy levels ok but I OFTEN get really tired after eating.

So check it out, Candida MAY be a component for what we have going…actually just one of the symptoms. I found this guy on YOUTUBE and he had the absolute best explanation regarding GERD I have ever heard. He has been very helpful and shares his knowledge. Ever heard of SIBO? Watch his ACV video and then read our comments. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1e2O_UjoGk

Guess what our link is? FOOD POISONING!!! I had TERRIBLE food poisoning about 8 months ago and its one of the causes of SIBO! UGH. Hoping to find a gastro doc who understands this condition.

I found these sites regarding possible best anti-biotic for SIBO…
    https://www.google.com/search?q=studies+on+the+efficacy+for+treating+SIBO+w%2F+antibiotics&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

shelly808

vadimo

Hi Shelly,

I would really not take more antibiotics unless you were diagnosed scientifically with what ever you think you may have. Candida is not a bacteria, it is a fungus and does not get killed by anti-biotics which is why taking antibiotics actually makes the issue worst. I don’t believe anyone has the full answer but the candida overgrowth theory is definitely a very plausible and logical one in my opinion. I strongly believe I made my case worst by taking too many antibiotics. Stress and general mood/emotional well being is also a big factor.

Do you remember what you were going through emotionally during the very first onset of your symptoms and then when they became what they are today?

Best,
    V

shelly808

Hello Vadimo,
    Thanks for your insights… I have not taken more anti-biotics. I am beginning to believe that possibly candida is the cause of all of my symptoms. I drink too much and eat way too much sugar. I have had some serious rounds of antibiotics. Just learned about the morning spit test, gonna do that tomorrow morning. I just bought a product called candex but I know I have to change my diet. ugh.

vadimo

Hi Shelly,

How did the spit test go? I have just seen a Functional Doctor in London, Dr. George Mouton who told me that as a guideline, for now, until his tests reveal what I have, I should stick to not having more than 25grammes of fructose a day, which is what I am trying to do, failing on a few days though… He said I most likely have candida overgrowth but that a change in diet alone will not do it, that the underlying issue was a weakened immune system which is what allowed me to have the candida overgrowth in the first place and that for now we needed to contain it whilst we await the blood and urine test results. I am curious to see what the results are… On another note, I am now in Brazil, going to see Joao de Deus in a few days, that should be interesting too!

Speak soon and let me know how things are going for you Shelly.

best,
    V

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘1.5 years of symptoms and pain before discovering the candida hypothesis’ is closed to new replies.