Danny33;56964 wrote: Also, don’t forget being overly hygienic will slow the healing process. Drop the bleach, hand sanitizer, and anti-microbial soaps. We are surrounded by mostly healthy bacteria, pathogenic is rare.
Very good advice, Danny!
If I may add my personal conviction: we even need pathogenic bacteria, if only for the purpose of training our immune system.
For example, if I’ve been working in the garden and afterward I find I haven’t cleaned my fingers so that some dark spot remains, where some dust and soil still sticks to my fingers, I have no problem scraping such a spot against my teeth to rub the dirt off. Yes, I am eating who-knows-which bacteria, maybe even some snail eggs.
A girlfriend has the same attitude. When she cut her arm on a thorn, she cleaned the blood and the wound with water from a natural pond – a pond where birds are swimming (and pooping), where algae thrive, and so on.
When I have a skin wound, sometimes I see whitish-yellowish slimey material coming out – or not coming out but staying in the wounded area. That is no reason to use iodine or some antiseptive. It means that a war is going on between malevolent bacteria and my white blood cells. I just keep an eye on it to make sure my white blood cells are winning – which they always do.
I do not recommend following my actions if you’ve never done so before, because your immune system may be too weak yet. I do recommend gradually moving in this direction. A lack of hygiene is very healthy!
I do not recommend such actions if you are in a different region. For example, when I travel far abroad, I do not “eat dirt” and I do not wash wounds with lake water. That’s because my immune system is very strong, but it has never encountered those foreign bacteria, so it has never had a chance to be trained against those unknown enemies.
So instead of the usual “do not try this at home”, my advice is: only try this at home!